Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Calvary Baptist Church in Northwest Washington DC, the U.S. capitol has hired a married lesbian couple as co-pastors. Sally Sarratt and Maria Swearingen were presented to the congregation and approved on January 8, 2017 during morning worship.

Your thoughts on this please

Here are mine,
Apparently, gay friendly, progressive churches have given up on the Bible’s authority and historical conditions for pastoral leadership. As the nations become more like Sodom and Gomorrah, many religiously inclined liberals are enthusiastic about their churches following in the same track. This is one more sign that the second coming of Christ is near.

“Likewise also, as it was in the days of Lot…” Luke 17:28.
That's interesting. Not to be confused with Cavalry Chapel.

• Haha
Reactions: Paul Yohannan
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good luck to both of them and the church. I just hope the church was doing so because they felt they were the most qualified, and not to make headlines.
Yet another church succumbing to post modern heresies.

• Agree
Reactions: Paul Yohannan
Upvote 0

John Hyperspace

UnKnown ReMember
Oct 3, 2016
Hyperspace
✟35,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Wolfe

Pack Leader
Aug 24, 2016
United states
✟59,662.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Nobody is saved by keeping God's commandments. I mean, that's what justification by faith alone really means.

In my church the Bible is not a weapon to bludgeon sinners and make people feel ashamed of who they are. As my pastor says, Jesus came for the least, the lost, and the last.
You should be ashamed of your sin, anybody who says otherwise is not following biblical doctrine.

1 Corinthians 6:9-10
Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.
Hebrews 10:26
For if we go on sinning deliberately after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins

Upvote 0

Wolfe

Pack Leader
Aug 24, 2016
United states
✟59,662.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You should be ashamed of your sin, anybody who says otherwise is not following biblical doctrine.

1 Corinthians 6:9-10
Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.
Hebrews 10:26
For if we go on sinning deliberately after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins
That being said, no you shouldn't brow beat them, but you also should point out their sin, in a loving manner.

Proverbs 27:6

Upvote 0

dhh712

Mrs. Calvinist Dark Lord
Jul 16, 2013
Gettysburg
✟34,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Calvary Baptist Church in Northwest Washington DC, the U.S. capitol has hired a married lesbian couple as co-pastors. Sally Sarratt and Maria Swearingen were presented to the congregation and approved on January 8, 2017 during morning worship.

Your thoughts on this please

Mine are Isaiah 5:20, that they will call good evil and evil good. Now it is seen as a good thing to be encouraging of homosexual behaviour, even in the churches. It is evil now (heard some stories of it even being termed as hate speech which can get people arrested) to say that homosexuality is a sin, which it is.

No, I don't think this is a sign that Jesus' second coming is near. He said it would come at a time least expected and that there will be no signs as a warning. Just goes to show forth more and ever more of how corrupt we are without God's restraining hand.

It's just sad, very very sad to see good-meaning Christians really coming around to buy into that propaganda of homosexuality to the point where they no longer believe it is against God's revealed will. Very sad to see such willing blindness to corruption.

Upvote 0

dhh712

Mrs. Calvinist Dark Lord
Jul 16, 2013
Gettysburg
✟34,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
That being said, no you shouldn't brow beat them, but you also should point out their sin, in a loving manner.

Proverbs 27:6

This is the problem, I feel. There seems to be no understanding of a middle ground here. People have come to believe you must either brow-beat the sinner or encourage him in his sin.

Judge not lest ye be judged has turned into, "Well, we all sin so let's not talk to anyone at all about their sins since we all do it anyway." All the while no one is being corrected on their walk with Christ and egregious sins such as homosexuality become an accepted way of life even in the church.

Upvote 0

dhh712

Mrs. Calvinist Dark Lord
Jul 16, 2013
Gettysburg
✟34,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
2 John 1:6
And this is love, that we walk after his commandments. This is the commandment, That, as ye have heard from the beginning, ye should walk in it.

Yes, love isn't some gushy feeling we exude toward others like "Oh, you're such a nice person, I love you so much." It involves correction as needed. Has not any of the other opinion heard of "tough love"? If you love someone, sometimes you have to stand upon biblical ground and say, "Look, you're in error here." It makes you out to be the bad person and it creates an awkward feeling, but that's really loving someone. Just leaving them alone and feeding them words such as,"Oh, you're just fine brother; I love you just the way you are," isn't showing love to them.

Upvote 0

Wolfe

Pack Leader
Aug 24, 2016
United states
✟59,662.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This is the problem, I feel. There seems to be no understanding of a middle ground here. People have come to believe you must either brow-beat the sinner or encourage him in his sin.

Judge not lest ye be judged has turned into, "Well, we all sin so let's not talk to anyone at all about their sins since we all do it anyway." All the while no one is being corrected on their walk with Christ and egregious sins such as homosexuality become an accepted way of life even in the church.
You can clear the, judge not lest ye be judged.
It does not say to not judge, it says do not judge hypocritically.

I know you didn't say that it means to not judge ever at all.
This is what you would say to someone who does say that, if you ever encounter someone who does say that is what it says, when it is not what it says.

Nice, short, video to sum it up.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rajni

☯ Ego ad Eum pertinent ☯
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2007
Visit site
✟1,242,720.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
2 John 1:6
And this is love, that we walk after his commandments.
There are a lot of commandments (613, to be exact). I'm assuming there are no shrimp-eaters, for example, condemning what this church did, because that would be awkward.

-

-

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I'm glad so-called liberal churches don't use the Bible as a weapon to bludgeon minorities.
If you read about the Israelite's in the history of their people, it goes something like this:

Follow God's way... blessings and prosperity
Slowly fall away and push God to the curb...... get pounded.
Come back to the ways of God...
Repeat.

It matters not that every human sins and that homosexuality is a sin and thus, these people are no worse than us. However, you cannot accept them into a pastorate any more than you could a man in common law relationship with a woman, a man who frequents strip clubs as a customer, a man who repeatedly is paying for hookers, a man who is visibly involved as a drug dealer, a man who is known to cheat on his wife, continually..

People who accept roles of leadership must be of a certain quality and their behavior must be, at the minimum, up to the standards of moral and legal law.

Any leader in our church who may be found to be outside the boundaries of pure Christian moral living, would be asked to step down, change their ways or be relieved of their position.

Upvote 0

1John2:4

Jun 8, 2016
New Braunfels, TX
✟32,608.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Nobody is saved by keeping God's commandments. I mean, that's what justification by faith alone really means.

In my church the Bible is not a weapon to bludgeon sinners and make people feel ashamed of who they are. As my pastor says, Jesus came for the least, the lost, and the last.
No such thing as faith alone in Romans 3:28 alone was added by Martin Luther.

Matthew 19:17 So he said to them "Why do you call Me good? No one is good by One, that is God. But if you want to enter into life keep the commandments.

Ecclesiastes 12:13 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God and keep His commandments, for that is man's all.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

1John2:4

Jun 8, 2016
New Braunfels, TX
✟32,608.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Yes, love isn't some gushy feeling we exude toward others like "Oh, you're such a nice person, I love you so much." It involves correction as needed. Has not any of the other opinion heard of "tough love"? If you love someone, sometimes you have to stand upon biblical ground and say, "Look, you're in error here." It makes you out to be the bad person and it creates an awkward feeling, but that's really loving someone. Just leaving them alone and feeding them words such as,"Oh, you're just fine brother; I love you just the way you are," isn't showing love to them.
Agreed, according to all that happened to people during the time of Noah, the nations that Isreal drove out because of disobedience, and to Isreal itself when she disobeyed it looks as if God is an advocate of tough love :)

Upvote 0

Original Happy Camper

One of GODS Children I am a historicist
Site Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Alabama
✟486,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
You can clear the, judge not lest ye be judged.
It does not say to not judge, it says do not judge hypocritically.

I know you didn't say that it means to not judge ever at all.
This is what you would say to someone who does say that, if you ever encounter someone who does say that is what it says, when it is not what it says.

Nice, short, video to sum it up.

Watched it Right on.

Upvote 0

Paul Yohannan

Mar 24, 2016
Old Route 66
✟34,744.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
I might do a little weeping myself. Over this situation.

Note that, alas, this is par for the course in mainline denominations like the ABC. If the SBC had done this that would be more dismaying.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.