Alabama
✟486,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Calvary Baptist Church in Northwest Washington DC, the U.S. capitol has hired a married lesbian couple as co-pastors. Sally Sarratt and Maria Swearingen were presented to the congregation and approved on January 8, 2017 during morning worship.

Your thoughts on this please

Here are mine,
Apparently, gay friendly, progressive churches have given up on the Bible’s authority and historical conditions for pastoral leadership. As the nations become more like Sodom and Gomorrah, many religiously inclined liberals are enthusiastic about their churches following in the same track. This is one more sign that the second coming of Christ is near.

“Likewise also, as it was in the days of Lot…” Luke 17:28.

SnowyMacie

Apr 12, 2011
North Texas
✟118,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
Good luck to both of them and the church. I just hope the church was doing so because they felt they were the most qualified, and not to make headlines.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Yes, you're right! I'm not Gandalf!
Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,126,163.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Calvary Baptist Church in Northwest Washington DC, the U.S. capitol has hired a married lesbian couple as co-pastors. Sally Sarratt and Maria Swearingen were presented to the congregation and approved on January 8, 2017 during morning worship.

Your thoughts on this please

Here are mine,
Apparently, gay friendly, progressive churches have given up on the Bible’s authority and historical conditions for pastoral leadership. As the nations become more like Sodom and Gomorrah, many religiously inclined liberals are enthusiastic about their churches following in the same track. This is one more sign that the second coming of Christ is near.

“Likewise also, as it was in the days of Lot…” Luke 17:28.

I'm guessing the church this took place in probably isn't "Southern Baptist," but some independent Baptist church, or "American Baptist". Not surprising... ...for this day and age. o_O

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,249,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Probably American Baptist.

BTW, Jimmy Carter left the Southern Baptist Convention years ago and joined the American Baptist Convention over this issue.

Not all Baptists are conservative. That's actually been that case a long time, they have the same dynamics as any other Christian denomination.

Upvote 0

EastCoastRemnant

I Must Decrease That He May Increase
Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
A sad but true commentary on the state of our church's position towards God... I wonder where they expect to receive their blessings from? The deceiver will be pleased to receive their worship.

Upvote 0

Original Happy Camper

One of GODS Children I am a historicist
Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Alabama
✟486,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I'm glad so-called liberal churches don't use the Bible as a weapon to bludgeon minorities.

Sin is to be pointed out not condoned. Not sure liberal churches have a grasp on what the Bible says.
Matthew 15:8-10 King James Version
8 This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me.
9 But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.
10 And he called the multitude, and said unto them, Hear, and understand:

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This issue is connected with how we treat people because that's in vogue right now. Realistically, the first consideration should be that a church's doctrine is a flashing billboard presenting who God is to the world.

The common error is to think that any human's sense of what is loving is better than God's written definition.

Upvote 0

Original Happy Camper

Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Alabama
✟486,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
This issue is connected with how we treat people because that's in vogue right now. Realistically, the first consideration should be that a church's doctrine is a flashing billboard presenting who God is to the world.

The common error is to think that any human's sense of what is loving is better than God's written definition.

2 John 1:6
And this is love, that we walk after his commandments. This is the commandment, That, as ye have heard from the beginning, ye should walk in it.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Yes, you're right! I'm not Gandalf!
Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,126,163.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Yes, and the other common error is to jettison the concept of "the HOLY" from one's mind and vocabulary.

• Agree
Reactions: MWood
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FireDragon76

Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,249,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat

Exactly... is God a jerk? I don't think so.

God gave us minds and hearts for a reason.

Upvote 0

Original Happy Camper

Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Alabama
✟486,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,249,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
He also gave us his Word which contain his commandments which are the "owners manual" for us.

Nobody is saved by keeping God's commandments. I mean, that's what justification by faith alone really means.

In my church the Bible is not a weapon to bludgeon sinners and make people feel ashamed of who they are. As my pastor says, Jesus came for the least, the lost, and the last.

Upvote 0

SnowyMacie

Apr 12, 2011
North Texas
✟118,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
And this is love, that we walk after his commandments. This is the commandment, That, as ye have heard from the beginning, ye should walk in it.
His commandments are to love God, which says we do so by following his commandments, the greatest of which is "love your neighbor", everything falls into that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟332,494.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
According to their website (http://calvarydc.org/), the church has multiple affiliations, including the American Baptist Churches USA, the Alliance of Baptists, the Cooperative Baptist Fellowship, and the Association of Welcoming and Affirming Baptists.

The website describes the prior ministry experience of the two pastors. They appear to be very qualified, and a good fit for the congregation, which says of itself: "Calvary Baptist Church has always been known for its progressive outlook, beginning with the small group of abolitionists who founded it in 1862. The congregation is committed to being an urban church where social justice matters deeply and everyone is welcome in Christian fellowship. Calvary has benefitted from the leadership of women at all levels of church life."

This is an issue about which Christians disagree, and obviously these new pastors would be a bad fit for many congregations in the US.

Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟60,941.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Good luck to both of them and the church. I just hope the church was doing so because they felt they were the most qualified, and not to make headlines.

This is kind of what the author of this comment section means though... People don't simply put up gay pastors and ministers for a political push or for headlines (some do though especially with the all gay choirs) but becuase they believe regardless of what scripture says they are qualified.

Sure political progressive sometimes just seek headlines, but people in society and religious leaders who aren't politicians are simply progressives becuase that's what they believe.

That's why the author of this thread said this

Apparently, gay friendly, progressive churches have given up on the Bible’s authority and historical conditions for pastoral leadership.

They simply believe this change is right.

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” (Matthew 28:19-20, 1984 NIV)

One thing that many pastors have some or a lot of trouble handling. Our culture being one of "do this or be punished" has a counterproductive effect. (e.g., Wear a suit to an interview, or else. Brush your teeth, or else.) But the truth is that God's commandments are a great source of joy for those who have a Godly heart, such as David and the writer of Psalm 119. The burden of commands comes from being (or having been) a slave to sin.

It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery. (bold mine, Galatians 5:1, 1984 NIV)

Rather, the truth is:

This is love for God: to obey his commands. And his commands are not burdensome, (1 John 5:3, 1984 NIV)

Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” (Matthew 11:29-30, 1984 NIV)

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,249,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
That's just the problem, what you see as a joy, other people with very different experiences see as a burden.

In truth, progressive Christians often do take the Bible seriously. They just have a different hermeneutic.

That ending to Matthew sort of proves my point. Jesus preached about love a lot. Progressive Christians believe they are following Jesus by focusing on having churches that are inclusive of all peoples. Love is their hermeneutic. Other Christians might feel differently, they might think obedience to authority or to tradition is important. (relatively) unchanging biblical interpretation is their hermeneutic.

Calvary Baptist is a good example of this, actually. When that church was founded, alot of Christians thought the Bible supported slavery, and could quote plenty of passages supporting their cause. Others disagreed, and usually had to appeal to some kind of hermeneutical principle to explain difficult passages that seemed to support slavery. The slavery issue bitterly divided Christians just as this issue about gays does today.

Upvote 0

Original Happy Camper

Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Alabama
✟486,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Nobody is saved by keeping God's commandments. I mean, that's what justification by faith alone really means.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.