Alabama
✟486,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Your church preaches adhering to dietary law above the Council of Jerusalem?

My church follows this principle that if there are two scriptures that are in conflict, the only conflict is our interpretation.

Matthew 4:4King James Version (KJV)
4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

Genesis 1:29
And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.

Upvote 0

Paul Yohannan

Mar 24, 2016
Old Route 66
✟34,744.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
No, and can't claim special knowledge of what Paul meant. In context he is clearly saying that allowing openly unrepentant sinners as leaders of our Churches (as this DC Church has done) is creating a nearly insurmountable barrier for them coming into a reunion of all of us (believers).

Indeed so.

Upvote 0

Paul Yohannan

Mar 24, 2016
Old Route 66
✟34,744.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
NO! In case you haven't been paying attention, read my description, to the left.

I am a Melkite Catholic. That is, I follow the Byzantine Tradition, I belong to a group of Christian Arabs, and I am in Communion with Rome through the Patriarch of Antioch. Also, because of my poor health, I have been forbidden to fast.

Users should be aware that there are several Patriarchs of Antiochs.

The most widely known due to the genocide in Syria is probably either His Holiness Mor Aphrem II Karim of the Syriac Orthodox Church, or His Beatitude John X Yazigi of the Antiochian Orthodox Church; neither are in communion with Rome.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
NO! In case you haven't been paying attention, read my description, to the left.

I am a Melkite Catholic. That is, I follow the Byzantine Tradition, I belong to a group of Christian Arabs, and I am in Communion with Rome through the Patriarch of Antioch. Also, because of my poor health, I have been forbidden to fast.
I will pray your health improves.

I am truly sorry to hear this.

Reactions: Paul Yohannan
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
redleghunter said:
Your church preaches adhering to dietary law above the Council of Jerusalem?

I am sure he meant this reply for me.
No sir it was for Monk Brendan.

I was under the impression his point was equating eating shellfish was akin to homosexual relations.

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Calvary Baptist Church in Northwest Washington DC, the U.S. capitol has hired a married lesbian couple as co-pastors. Sally Sarratt and Maria Swearingen were presented to the congregation and approved on January 8, 2017 during morning worship.

Your thoughts on this please

Here are mine,
Apparently, gay friendly, progressive churches have given up on the Bible’s authority and historical conditions for pastoral leadership. As the nations become more like Sodom and Gomorrah, many religiously inclined liberals are enthusiastic about their churches following in the same track. This is one more sign that the second coming of Christ is near.

“Likewise also, as it was in the days of Lot…” Luke 17:28.
So did you hear about the church that hired a guy married to a monkey? Next door there was a church that hired a canibal for a Sunday school teacher....etc. Just kidding, but if there are no limits, I guess anything goes.

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟905,075.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
So did you hear about the church that hired a guy married to a monkey? Next door there was a church that hired a canibal for a Sunday school teacher....etc. Just kidding, but if there are no limits, I guess anything goes.

To be expected in a society where inclusion is a runaway train.

Hypocrisy will soon hit, though. I doubt paedophiles will be considered heroes when they come out after campaigning as 'being born with it'. Heck, I doubt they'll even be accepted by a great many communities that fought to have their own ideals accepted.

There is a bottom somewhere, we just haven't reached it yet.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Oh! How wonderful to be completely surrounded by loving Christians at all times, never having to go out and mix with sinners, except for witnessing to them.:oldthumbsup:

Okay, forgive the sarcasm, but Christians are out and about, meeting sinners all the time. If all you can do is hit people over the head with the Word, and beat them into submission, then there aren't going to be many people listening to you.:amen:

Sarcasm noted. :)

Was it not the method used by The Good Shepherd to show the law of Mt. Sinai before laying down His Life on Mt. Zion thus demonstrating His Love and Grace?

The rich young ruler was asked about the commandments. He then told Christ he kept them all since a child. However, Jesus told him to remove the obstacles preventing him from following Him.

The obstacle obviously was the man's wealth and we know money is the root of all kinds of evil...perhaps even to covet.

Jesus clearly confronted the man on his sin, his stumbling block, where he was missing the target.

Finally, if the man did obey Christ and follow Him, where was Jesus going? Jesus Christ was on His way to Jerusalem to die a horrible death for us and 3 days later rise again.

I don't think anyone here is trying to bludgeon people for their sins. We are all sinners in need of the Grace of Jesus Christ. However, Jesus tells us to repent and follow Him.

We cannot honor and love Him if we continue to engage in the sin which is our stumbling block. Nor just ignore it.

It's even worse when we try to "sanctify" our sin in our own minds.

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Hypocrisy will soon hit, though. I doubt paedophiles will be considered heroes when they come out after campaigning as 'being born with it'. Heck, I doubt they'll even be accepted by a great many communities that fought to have their own ideals accepted.

Guess it is low as hell, and believers will never reach it.

Upvote 0

Original Happy Camper

One of GODS Children I am a historicist
Site Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Alabama
✟486,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
No sir it was for Monk Brendan.

I was under the impression his point was equating eating shellfish was akin to homosexual relations.

My error asking forgiveness

• Friendly
Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Original Happy Camper

One of GODS Children I am a historicist
Site Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Alabama
✟486,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

I agree we only have to look to the Pagans to see where we are headed at this time.

1 Kings 9:6
But if ye shall at all turn from following me, ye or your children, and will not keep my commandments and my statutes which I have set before you, but go and serve other gods, and worship them:

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I agree we only have to look to the Pagans to see where we are headed at this time.

1 Kings 9:6
But if ye shall at all turn from following me, ye or your children, and will not keep my commandments and my statutes which I have set before you, but go and serve other gods, and worship them:
Or where they are headed.

Upvote 0

2Timothy2:15

Mar 28, 2016
CA
✟78,248.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I would say having lesbian pastors is pretty close to bottom.....The fact people are actually trying to defend this is insane.

• Agree
Reactions: DrBubbaLove
Upvote 0

DrBubbaLove

Roman Catholic convert from Southern Baptist
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2004
Left coast
✟77,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Having a particular sexual orientation is morally neutral in itself. It is what it is. What is done about it or with it is another matter.

Certainly unfortunate and in that sense bad for the person if the orientation does not reflect the way God made us. But a person with a same sex orientation is no worse off from a sexual sin standpoint for instance than a heterosexual single person or someone unable to marry for whatever reason or someone born with genetic or hormonal issues relating to gender/sex.

• Winner
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would say having lesbian pastors is pretty close to bottom.....The fact people are actually trying to defend this is insane.

When a church abandons the Christian faith, this is what happens. A lot of ground work goes into this.

These churches first strip their statement of faith to read like a social justice manifesto.

Which means they have to make their theology so generic any one can drive a train through it.

I went to this church's website and their statement of faith did not confirm the Deity of Jesus Christ. That's the first hint, a very big one. Also no statement on the authority or inerrancy of Holy Scriptures.

I would take an educated guess these new pastors adhere to process theology as well.

It all goes together.

• Winner
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LovebirdsFlying

My husband drew this cartoon of me.
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟841,175.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
mod-hat-jpg.188216

Mod Hat ON

Staff has come to the decision to close this thread. Please refer to CF rules on controversial topics.
Homosexuality may not be promoted* on CF. Several debate forums allow same-sex marriage to be discussed from a political, legal, historical, and civil rights point of view. Please check the Statement of Purpose thread for individual debate forums before posting. Homosexuality and SSM may be discussed in the Congregational forums according to each forums' guidelines in their Statement of Purpose. Homosexuality and SSM may be discussed, without promotion*, in the Struggles with Sexuality and Ask a Chaplain forums solely for the purpose of seeking support with struggles overcoming same-sex attractions, and homosexual issues. Members may not promote* homosexuality or same-sex marriage in their profiles.​
*Promotion is defined as encouragement of the progress, growth, or acceptance of something including advertising and publicity.

From the Statement of Purpose for this forum:​
Same-Sex Marriage and Gay Rights: Discussion of these topics must comply with the sitewide rule barring the promotion of homosexuality. Discussion and debate should only be directed toward political, legal, historical and civil rights issues, and should not be directed toward the morality of homosexuality or same-sex marriage. Please remember that promotion of homosexuality and same-sex marriage is not allowed. For more detailed information please see this sticky thread.​

Mod Hat OFF

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.