Atheist billboard coming down after complaints.

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
"No God this life=Hell's eternal "told ya so". "
Fellow Christians what are other slogans that could counter the error of atheists billboard and maybe lead people to the truth?
That doesn't really make sense.

The atheist billboard is meant for atheists in Lincoln to see and go to the website on the sign and see there's a whole community out there and know they're not alone in what is, I would imagine, a very religious part of the country. It's not really meant to convince anyone that isn't already an atheist.

A more analogous sign for Christians would be one that refers to the heaven that awaits them in the afterlife. --A sign meant for Christians, not atheists.

What you are suggesting is more like a middle finger to the atheists, than a call to redemption.

A very childish response, in my heathen opinion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Nithavela said:
I'm not sure such a message would lead anyone to change their mind in this regard. Do I have to explain why?

Then that quote above can only be your guess. You can't explain why for all atheists. You can only guess as a personal opinion of one who is not an atheist.
Atheist here. :wave:

Personally, I see the billboard as being intended for anyone who already is an atheist in the Lincoln, Nebraska area. I'm not going to say that a Christian themed billboard can't cause an atheist to change their mind about the existence of God (I highly doubt it, though), but if it is worded in a similar way as the one in the OP, it wouldn't be meant for atheists anyway.

Upvote 0

VanillaSunflowers

Black Lives Don't Matter More Than Any Other Life
Jul 26, 2016
DE
✟18,570.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Atheist here. :wave:

Personally, I see the billboard as being intended for anyone who already is an atheist in the Lincoln, Nebraska area. I'm not going to say that a Christian themed billboard can't cause an atheist to change their mind about the existence of God (I highly doubt it, though), but if it is worded in a similar way as the one in the OP, it wouldn't be meant for atheists anyway.

I don't think anyone can say an atheist could not be inspired to look deeper into faith by a Christian slogan they happened upon on a billboard. There are a number of Christian / Jesus billboards appearing in my area of late.
Maybe its the pending election and the idea of Christians vote your conscience type theme that inspires the supporters leasing such.

The suggestion I made of a counter billboard with a Christian theme would be speaking to atheists. And to anyone who is not in Christ.

Christians know that God works as he wills anywhere, anytime. So to dismiss the notion that God can't reach the lost through a billboard isn't really anything that pertains to God so as to make sense.

After all, it would be saying a billboard message can't be used by God to deliver the lost sinner through God's will to find him.
No one can say that's possible.

And being atheists don't believe God exists, that certainly precludes them from even making the attempt to argue to the contrary just so as to counter the statement that God can reach any atheist he chooses.

Upvote 0

VanillaSunflowers

Jul 26, 2016
DE
✟18,570.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
That doesn't really make sense.

The atheist billboard is meant for atheists in Lincoln to see and go to the website on the sign and see there's a whole community out there and know they're not alone in what is, I would imagine, a very religious part of the country. It's not really meant to convince anyone that isn't already an atheist.

A more analogous sign for Christians would be one that refers to the heaven that awaits them in the afterlife. --A sign meant for Christians, not atheists.

What you a suggesting is more like a middle finger to the atheists, than a call to redemption.
Christians don't give a middle finger to atheists. Being it is a billboard room is limited and so too is time to read in moving traffic.
It's succinct and to the point. Good without God in this life? This life lasts less than 100 years on average. Eternity is a very long time to be wrong.

And Hell for the unrepentant sinner is solid proof that life without God not only wasn't good, but was costly in the end.

A very childish response, in my heathen opinion
There's a group here who tend to question the intellect, and now maturity, of those they oppose in debate. At first it was pathetic,now it is becoming a pattern. That has obviously decided to change its markers after my saying that about that particular group more than once.

The childish response that is also intellectually inconsistent when arguing for free choice and against the religious and their freedom, is when first defending the label of atheist, those that believe God does not exist, or that there is no evidence anything labeled God does exist, to focus their attentions, and spend their money, to campaign against something that their self-title already states isn't real.

That's not advertising that life is good. That's advertising that if it was ,no atheist organization would need to contend against the religious and therein demonstrate an intolerance for religious liberty.

Reactions: 777Sloan
Upvote 0

Skavau

Ode to the Forgotten Few
Sep 6, 2007
England
✟41,497.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
VanillaSunflower said:
It's succinct and to the point. Good without God in this life? This life lasts less than 100 years on average. Eternity is a very long time to be wrong.
If you honestly don't understand why telling people that their opinion will ensure they suffer eternal torment puts peoples backs up, I don't know what to say. It suggests a lack of emotional intelligence. It's perceived as an indirect threat.

I find the notion of hell, whether it be in Islam or Christianity, or metaphysical or literal to be disgusting and contemptible. The notion that billions of people deserve to be tortured or tormented or exiled in pain for eternity for the crime of being unsaved is utterly indefensible. Telling me you think that and telling me you think that is what Christianity preaches will not get you anywhere with me, and I promise you, this is true of most atheists.

That's not advertising that life is good. That's advertising that if it was ,no atheist organization would need to contend against the religious and therein demonstrate an intolerance for religious liberty.
By your logic, any billboard that tries outreach can only be done by people who don't think life is good, or do you invoke special exemptions for when Christians attempt to proselytize?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TerranceL

Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?
Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'm not sure such a message would lead anyone to change their mind in this regard. Do I have to explain why?
Hey you never know... some people are really moved by bumpersticker slogans.

• Haha
Reactions: Larniavc
Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟368,036.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cute Tink

Blah
Site Supporter
Nov 22, 2002
✟125,391.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Upvote 0

VanillaSunflowers

Jul 26, 2016
DE
✟18,570.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Yes, but you see, only one sides threats were real. Come on Kristen, you have been here long enough to know that.
Charity wouldn't dismiss the threats to the female couple in such a callous way.

The other side being threatened with death wasn't included in the article I posted. Meaning I had no way of knowing about that.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 777Sloan
Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,254.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Hey you never know... some people are really moved by bumpersticker slogans.
funny-car-bumper-stickers-12-57f221ecf2ed2__700.jpg

Upvote 0

ChristianFromKazakhstan

Oct 9, 2016
ALMATY
✟29,800.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Looks like this one?

It says “The Good Life without God? It’s possible.” and then gives their web address.

I really don't see why this billboard was a problem for Christians. So many people live that way (even Christians), and Christians have no issues with that whatsoever. Here someone writes it, it suddenly bothers them so badly.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Cute Tink

Blah
Site Supporter
Nov 22, 2002
✟125,391.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Charity wouldn't dismiss the threats to the female couple in such a callous way.

The other side being threatened with death wasn't included in the article I posted. Meaning I had no way of knowing about that.

The problem is that there are out of control people on both sides that do a serious disservice to their own credibility and values.

Upvote 0

VanillaSunflowers

Jul 26, 2016
DE
✟18,570.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
The problem is that there are out of control people on both sides that do a serious disservice to their own credibility and values.
Sure, human emotions can run the gamut in any personal situation.

Upvote 0

Skavau

Ode to the Forgotten Few
Sep 6, 2007
England
✟41,497.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
When they cross the laws of God, YES.
That is exactly what freedom of religion is all about.
You know; the first amendment?
What part of setting up a billboard that promotes atheism effects you?

Why should I, or any atheist care about the "laws of God"?

Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0