Atheist billboard coming down after complaints.

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,321.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
"several people threatened to stop doing business at the gas station/store, and the sign’s coming down early, according to correspondence between Lamar’s Lincoln general manager and the Lincoln Atheists."

Last edited:

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟498,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
"several people threatened to stop doing business at the gas station/store, and the sign’s coming down early, according to correspondence between Lamar’s Lincoln general manager and the Lincoln Atheists."

What did it say?

Upvote 0

samir

Dec 9, 2015
us
✟18,067.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private

Thank God for that!

Upvote 0

smithed64

To Die is gain, To Live is Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 2, 2013
Chattanooga, Tennessee
✟41,497.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟373,938.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I'm kinda surprised. Aside from being the state capital, Lincoln is a college town. Such locales are usually more receptive to unorthodox thinking. There must be some businesses close to UNL, that cater to students, and would be friendlier territory for displaying a message like this.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
It's my atheist duty!
Why do you feel the need to oppress the Christians of Lincoln Nebraska?

The billboard was not any sort of oppression of the Christians of Lincoln Nebraska. However, the forced removal of it does constitute a certain oppression of some other citizens of Lincoln.

A fairly large block of my fellow Christians have what could be called an entitlement mentality. For many centuries they have had things their own way and have controlled society to such an extent, that when minority groups started demanding and recieving rights that they had previously been denied, rights that Christians held all along, these same Christians felt threatened and claimed that they were being persecuted. Rights and freedoms are not part of a zero-sum game. Expanding them does not thereby reduce them for some other group. Extending the vote to women did not reduce the rights of men in society. In reality Christians have lost no rights and are not threatened in any meaningful way. In Canada and the USA Christians are certainly not being persecuted.

Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
This is just Capitalism at play. The manager was scared he would lose business from other people offended by the sign and basically ended his billboard contract prematurely and took down the ad. This has nothing to do with oppression or freedom of expression/religion at all.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
This is just Capitalism at play. The manager was scared he would lose business from other people offended by the sign and basically ended his billboard contract prematurely and took down the ad. This has nothing to do with oppression or freedom of expression/religion at all.

I don't think that this reflects negatively on the gas station owner. He was caught between a rock and a hard place. It does reflect very negatively on those citizens who very successfully shut down the free speech rights of their fellow citizens. Beyond that, there are no overtures of persecution of Christians whatsoever.

Upvote 0

Cute Tink

Blah
Site Supporter
Nov 22, 2002
✟125,391.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Sarcasm people.
Couldn’t you tell by my facial expressions and rolled eyes?

lol

Honestly I thought, coming from you, that it wasn't serious, but I've been on the internet long enough to know that someone probably does feel that way...

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Agree. People voted with their 'feet.'

Reactions: Uncle Siggy
Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,564.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Looks like this one?

It says “The Good Life without God? It’s possible.” and then gives their web address.
Maybe it was taken down because it was false advertising. I browsed around the website. They got t-shirts for sale, but no instructions at all on how to live the Good Life.

Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0