Atheist billboard coming down after complaints.

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
What part of setting up a billboard that promotes atheism effects you?
Why should I, or any atheist care about the "laws of God"?

You should really read all of a post before responding.
That includes what I was responding to.

Upvote 0

VanillaSunflowers

Black Lives Don't Matter More Than Any Other Life
Jul 26, 2016
DE
✟18,570.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
What part of setting up a billboard that promotes atheism effects you?

There must be some aspect of caring. Why would any atheist care to join a forum dedicated to everything the atheist belief system, and it is such, says does not exist?

Upvote 0

Skavau

Ode to the Forgotten Few
Sep 6, 2007
England
✟41,497.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
There must be some aspect of caring. Why would any atheist care to join a forum dedicated to everything the atheist belief system, and it is such, says does not exist?
I join many forums. I used to be on Islamic forums. I'm not interested in just talking to people who agree with me. In any case, what do you mean by "some aspect of caring"? How does a pro-atheism sign violate that? How would that even work if signed into legislation?

• Agree
Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0

Cute Tink

Blah
Site Supporter
Nov 22, 2002
✟125,391.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
When they cross the laws of God, YES.
That is exactly what freedom of religion is all about.
You know; the first amendment?

With limitations, yes. The freedom of religion is not an absolute right.

Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,565.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
When they cross the laws of God, YES.
No, they still have to follow the same laws or deal with the consequences. Some Christians seem to want it both ways. To not follow laws they disagree with and claim religious freedom to not deal with the consequences.

That is exactly what freedom of religion is all about.
You know; the first amendment?
Nowhere in the Bill of Rights does it state a religious person can ignore the laws they disagree with.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,565.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Why would any atheist care to join a forum dedicated to everything the atheist belief system, and it is such, says does not exist?
Strange... I've never heard any atheist say Christians don't exist.

• Winner
Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,190.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
No actually it was inhumanity that threatened the lives of certain bakers that refused to bake SSM wedding cakes. And even went so far as to damage their homes.
CHRISTIAN BAKER Has Home Damaged and Son Threatened with Rape After Refusing to Bake Gay Wedding Cake

More results Duck: christian baker life threatened gay wedding cake

https://www.google.com/amp/www.peac...rtyr-route-after-public-outcry-22020.html/amp

From that article...

"Yet no public record exists of any reported threats against the family with local law enforcement as of the writing of this article."

This is all a bit beside the point anyway...even if people are treating them poorly, how do you know it's because they're christian? I think it's because they're bigots. If they were jewish or muslim and they refused to bake a cake...I think we'd see the same reaction from the public.

Upvote 0

ChristsSoldier115

Mabaho na Kuya
Jul 30, 2013
The greatest state in the Union: Ohio
✟26,502.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
funny-car-bumper-stickers-12-57f221ecf2ed2__700.jpg
Im probably the only idiot who actually went to see if that was a real web site

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

NotreDame

Domer
Site Supporter
Jan 24, 2008
6 hours south of the Golden Dome of the University
✟511,642.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The billboard was not any sort of oppression of the Christians of Lincoln Nebraska. However, the forced removal of it does constitute a certain oppression of some other citizens of Lincoln.

A fairly large block of my fellow Christians have what could be called an entitlement mentality. For many centuries they have had things their own way and have controlled society to such an extent, that when minority groups started demanding and recieving rights that they had previously been denied, rights that Christians held all along, these same Christians felt threatened and claimed that they were being persecuted. Rights and freedoms are not part of a zero-sum game. Expanding them does not thereby reduce them for some other group. Extending the vote to women did not reduce the rights of men in society. In reality Christians have lost no rights and are not threatened in any meaningful way. In Canada and the USA Christians are certainly not being persecuted.

The business wasn't "forced" to remove the billboard sign. The business chose maximizing profits over the billboard sign. The business had the choice to lose some money, certainly not the vast majority of its profits, and retain the sign on the billboard. The money was more important to the business than keeping the sign on the billboard.

Neither was removal of the sign any "oppression" of "other citizens of Lincoln." This isn't an instance where the "other citizens" are rendered incapable of utilizing other billboard to express their message, or forbidden from expressing their message by some other means, or from expressing their message at all.

Upvote 0

NotreDame

Domer
Site Supporter
Jan 24, 2008
✟511,642.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't think that this reflects negatively on the gas station owner. He was caught between a rock and a hard place. It does reflect very negatively on those citizens who very successfully shut down the free speech rights of their fellow citizens. Beyond that, there are no overtures of persecution of Christians whatsoever.

Negatively? How so?

Was the gas station owner having to choose between Scylla and Charybdis? Was the vast majority of his profits jeopardized? The article says "several" people threatened to boycott the business. "Several." That's a terrifying number.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TerranceL

Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?
Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Because some people understand that echo chambers are the death of free thought. Some people want to go places to hear how right their worldview is, some people want to be challenged.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
So it's basically just, like, a boycott essentially right?

Not quite. The gas station was an innocent bystander. Boycott pressure was put on it to use its veto power on the message (which was also innocuous).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

VanillaSunflowers

Jul 26, 2016
DE
✟18,570.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Strange... I've never heard any atheist say Christians don't exist.
Strange. No one ever said that here.

I join many forums. I used to be on Islamic forums. I'm not interested in just talking to people who agree with me. In any case, what do you mean by "some aspect of caring"? How does a pro-atheism sign violate that? How would that even work if signed into legislation?
You appear confused in this answer. I was responding to your remarks.

As for the legislation comment, I have no idea what you're talking about as that has not a thing to do with my comments.

Because some people understand that echo chambers are the death of free thought. Some people want to go places to hear how right their worldview is, some people want to be challenged.
Well at least I know why one self professed atheist joins. To challenge Christians. Which still pertains to their belief in something the atheist does not accept as existing.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.peac...rtyr-route-after-public-outcry-22020.html/amp

From that article...

"Yet no public record exists of any reported threats against the family with local law enforcement as of the writing of this article."

This is all a bit beside the point anyway...even if people are treating them poorly, how do you know it's because they're christian? I think it's because they're bigots. If they were jewish or muslim and they refused to bake a cake...I think we'd see the same reaction from the public.

And yet, threats do exist and likely a public record in an ongoing investigation of threats would not be available to the press.

Another Bakery Faces Attack as Sweet Cakes Story Gains National Attention 03.04.16 From First Liberty

And no, they're not bigots. They're Christians opposed to being party to the sin God calls an abomination worthy of death.
The bigots would be the homosexuals that seek to destroy a Christian family's means of making a living by challenging them to choose between their faith, and their means of support, when those homosexuals enter a Christian business knowing Christian tenets condemn the sin of homosexuality. With the full intention of filing lawsuits, bringing the press attention to bear, and the state's prosecution methods against said Christian's.

The homosexual lobby demands tolerance. They have none for those who have an opposing view about homosexuality.

If the Christian bakers are bigots for standing by their faith, I'm sure they will hold to that label being it is afforded them. Jesus said the world would hate us as they hated him.

Of course homosexuals who own bakeries and refuse to create a traditional heterosexual Christian's wedding cake aren't prosecuted. They aren't sued. They don't lose their business. But they are bigots if the qualifier for that label is refusing service based on personal prejudice.

Upvote 0

NotreDame

Domer
Site Supporter
Jan 24, 2008
✟511,642.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not quite. The gas station was an innocent bystander. Boycott pressure was put on it to use its veto power on the message (which was also innocuous).

What is meant by "innocent bystander?"

Upvote 0

VanillaSunflowers

Jul 26, 2016
DE
✟18,570.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Well, at least he can say Monica was one that consented.

Vote Hillary. And let a serial adulterer, sex offender and un-prosecuted rapist make more history as America's first gentleman. We're kidding about that second part folks.

Nah, you'd need a tour bus to fit that sticker.

Upvote 0

Uncle Siggy

Promulgator of Annoying Tidbits of Information
Dec 4, 2015
Ohio
✟61,528.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Well, at least he can say Monica was one that consented.

Vote Hillary. And let a serial adulterer, sex offender and un-prosecuted rapist make more history as America's first gentleman. We're kidding about that second part folks.

Nah, you'd need a tour bus to fit that sticker.

Thought you might enjoy this: http://www.nationalenquirer.com/celebrity/hillary-clinton-lesbian-sex-claims-vince-foster-fixer/

I realize a lot of people think the Enquirer is pure garbage and rightfully so but they absolutely nailed it when John Edwards had his sex scandal and the Lame Stream Media was ignoring it...

Upvote 0