Oct 3, 2004
Ontario Canada
Visit site
✟7,930.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I took a look at their website. My opinion is, if you're interested in taking some courses just to learn and increase in knowledge, download their free courses and go through them. (Although of course I don't know how good or bad, biblically speaking, they are ...) If you're interesting in paying money for the courses to get an "accredited" degree, I wouldn't bother, because the degree is not really accredited.

Although they claim to be "accredited", it's actually their related institution ("Ames Bible University") that they say has accreditation. The two bodies that are listed on the Ames Bible University site are:

(Note: In the USA, an accreditation body must be recognized by CHEA (Council for Higher Education Accreditation) to be a legitimate accreditation body.)

World-Wide Accreditation Commission of Christian Educational Institutions (WWAC)
- This group has no website, and is not recognized by CHEA as a legal USA accreditation body.

Apostolic Council on Educational Accountability (ACEA)
- This group does have a website, but the link to their list of member schools states the list is coming soon due to "frequent changes and new additions". ACEA is also not regonized by CHEA.

Also, saying that they are able to grant degrees under the authority of the State of Florida Department of Education isn't really saying anything, because in Florida any school that opens which grants only religious degrees is automatically able to do so in Florida. That's why there's a lot of religious schools operating out of Florida.

Message board thread I found re Ames:
http://forums.degreeboard.com/archive/index.php/t-4997.html

According to the Ames Bible College FAQ, students (in the "accredited" program) grade their own exams on the honor system. Needless to say, this is not how a real college or university operates! Also there is no faculty listed on the site which is somewhat troubling. The ads all over the site for nutritional supplements and "advanced anti-aging nutraceutical technology" don't make it seem very professional either.

So, if you're interested in learning for your own knowledge/etc, sure take their free programs. But if you're interested in paying $ for a real, accredited degree, that's not what you're getting from Ames. Of course, a school can deliver quality education without being accredited, but it's somewhat dishonest to claim to be accredited when they really are not. Sorry if this is a bit of a downer, but better to find out sooner than later! If you post what kind of education you're looking for and the reason you're seeking a degree, people might be able to suggest other options available to you. :)

Upvote 0