Galt's Gulch
✟8,420.00
Country
Niue
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If the TV show in question were about American conservative Christians, I suspect your response would differ.
No, it wouldn't; your "suspicion" would be wrong.

Lowe's did nothing wrong in pulling their ad and doesn't deserve to be the focus of this issue whatsoever. That they are is indicative of some very obvious bigotry and likely not a little bit of politics on the part of the senator and those supporting him who are eager to defame a large corporation.

No, my opinion of this wouldn't change if it were some show depicting some Catholic or Protestant reality TV show that was generating a political hailstorm for some reason.

Upvote 0

EdwinWillers

Jan 13, 2010
Galt's Gulch
✟8,420.00
Country
Niue
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
They are responsible for their actions.
Responsible to whom?

They chose to appease the FFA and they deserve any criticism that comes with that.
You don't know that they "chose to appease the FFA." On what basis do make that assertion - particularly in light of their explanation of their actions:
"Individuals and groups have strong political and societal views on this topic, and this program became a lightning rod for many of those views," the statement said. "As a result we did pull our advertising on this program. We believe it is best to respectfully defer to communities, individuals and groups to discuss and consider such issues of importance."

Upvote 0

Harpuia

Oldie... very very oldie...
Nov 9, 2004
Undisclosed
✟27,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
No, it wouldn't; your "suspicion" would be wrong.

Lowe's did nothing wrong in pulling their ad and doesn't deserve to be the focus of this issue whatsoever. That they are is indicative of some very obvious bigotry and likely not a little bit of politics on the part of the senator and those supporting him who are eager to defame a large corporation.

No, my opinion of this wouldn't change if it were some show depicting some Catholic or Protestant reality TV show that was generating a political hailstorm for some reason.

I dunno too much about you, but there has been stuff regarding sponsors dropping from shows in the past that had Christian overtones that met HUGE outrage from groups like FFA. The double-standard they show is horrendous.

Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Responsible to whom?

Public opinion I would assume and the consequences that go with it.

You don't know that they "chose to appease the FFA." On what basis do make that assertion - particularly in light of their explanation of their actions:

The common sense everyone applied when Lows pulls adds after FAA pressured them to do so.

Upvote 0

Umaro

Senior Veteran
Dec 22, 2006
✟13,505.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Lowes pulls ad to avoid religious culture debate: Good business sense.
Lowes says "happy holidays" instead of "Merry Xmas:" They've declared a war on Xmas, better trumpet it on the largest news channel every December.

It is my sincere wish that Americans could see how much the entire rest of the world is laughing at us, but most will never live outside like I've gotten the chance too.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Drop jihad and maybe we can talk.
America is based upon peace of every religion(worship of God alone).

Peace friend. :)

Are you sure you understand what the television show is all about?

Umm, huh?

Also, is the "14" in your username indicative at all of you approximate age?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Nov 20, 2011
✟9,171.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Drop jihad and maybe we can talk.

Peace friend. :)
I'm Catholic, not too much jihad talk...Catholic guilt maybe...but not jihad. I am not saying I agree with Islam, again I'm Catholic, but just as a Catholic, Protestant, or Jew can be "All American", so too can a Muslim. What's more American than an Italian restaurant frequented by a Muslim doctor drinking a coke?

Upvote 0

EdwinWillers

Jan 13, 2010
Galt's Gulch
✟8,420.00
Country
Niue
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I dunno too much about you, but there has been stuff regarding sponsors dropping from shows in the past that had Christian overtones that met HUGE outrage from groups like FFA. The double-standard they show is horrendous.
The way I look at it is that it's none of their business how Lowe's or any other business chooses to spend their advertising dollars. Zero. They have zero call to obligate anyone to act in accordance with their wishes/beliefs.

Taking their perspective, they favor a particular agenda - in this case "family programming" of their particular view of what constitutes "Christian" family programming. So they are pleased when others support such programming with their advertising dollars - and similarly displeased when someone supports programming that doesn't fit their particular agenda, which by itself is ok. Such "pleasure" is fine when limited to the realm of opinion.

But it [being pleased/displeased with something] becomes problematic when it seeks to exert its opinion (or agenda) so as to coerce a third party into spending its dollars on shows they like and not spending dollars on shows they don't. The operative word there is "coerce" - or cause someone or some entity to act contrary in ways it might otherwise believe is in their best interest.

So yes, I absolutely agree their actions here constitute a horrendous double-standard. Worse though in my mind is their apparent belief they have a right to coerce others, by threat of boycott, or by exertion of some other influence (e.g. public sentiment) to act in accordance with their will and contrary to [the 3rd party's] will or best interests.

Can you imagine some religious organization coercing someone outside its group into giving to a particular charity merely because that organization "favors" that charity over say, another? Coerced charitable contributions are not charitable at all.

Upvote 0
S

someguy14

I'm Catholic, not too much jihad talk...Catholic guilt maybe...but not jihad. I am not saying I agree with Islam, again I'm Catholic, but just as a Catholic, Protestant, or Jew can be "All American", so too can a Muslim. What's more American than an Italian restaurant frequented by a Muslim doctor drinking a coke?

If you've read a muslim book, than your aware of promotion for jihad. We, as Americans, regardless of Religion(tradition) are for peace. I believe that all people can agree with that. :) Peace among peoples.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
If you've read a muslim book, than your aware of promotion for jihad. We, as Americans, regardless of Religion(tradition) are for peace. I believe that all people can agree with that. :) Peace among peoples.

America's long history of being at war with many many nations aside, the television show at the heart of this controversy seeks to show American Muslims who do not endorse the notion of jihad...to impose jihad upon them seeks to vilify them to continue the stereotype of the radical, fundamentalist Muslim.

Upvote 0
S

someguy14

America's long history of being at war with many many nations aside, the television show at the heart of this controversy seeks to show American Muslims who do not endorse the notion of jihad...to impose jihad upon them seeks to vilify them to continue the stereotype of the radical, fundamentalist Muslim.

All wicked are at war.
All of Gods people are for peace and defence against such wicked.
A book promoting jihad is against God.
God is peace.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SoldierOfTheKing

Christian Spenglerian
Jan 6, 2006
Kenmore, WA
✟278,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
variant said:
I just didn't think that anyone would have the gaul step up to the plate and defend the idea that a positive portrayal of Muslims constituted a dangerous propaganda that belayed their groups hostility toward traditional American values and liberty.

It requires you to be committed to the position of

A. That Muslims can not hold traditional American values or value liberty.

or.

B. That if Muslims do hold traditional American values or liberty that showing that truth is somehow dangerous because they are such a menacing threat that this simple truth is dangerous.

Both history and current events show that Islam is inherently hostile toward non-Islamic cultures, particularly Western culture. I take no pleasure in saying so, but facts are facts. So "A" is not that far from the truth. You can point to individual Muslims who hold to, or at least are not hostile to, Western values in order to argue the contrary. (As to whether this describes the Muslim portrayed in the show, I can't comment on that, since I haven't seen the show.) However, this follows the same logic as cite the fact that some Musloms drink alcohol as proof that Islam doesn't really forbid consumption of alcohol.

Upvote 0

Umaro

Senior Veteran
Dec 22, 2006
✟13,505.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Both history and current events show that Islam is inherently hostile toward non-Islamic cultures, particularly Western culture. I take no pleasure in saying so, but facts are facts. So "A" is not that far from the truth. You can point to individual Muslims who hold to, or at least are not hostile to, Western values in order to argue the contrary. (As to whether this describes the Muslim portrayed in the show, I can't comment on that, since I haven't seen the show.) However, this follows the same logic as cite the fact that some Musloms drink alcohol as proof that Islam doesn't really forbid consumption of alcohol.

As opposed to what? The wholesome history of the Christians holy crusades and their open hostility to anyone that is gay or people who say something that isn't "Merry Christmas?"

Upvote 0
S

someguy14

Both history and current events show that Islam is inherently hostile toward non-Islamic cultures,

We have proof of that "secret desire" that radical islamist hold when bombing a country and trying to pretend they are peaceful so that they may sneak in and take over a country with deceit. Against God. God hating tactics.

Upvote 0

Phileas

Aug 31, 2009
✟8,312.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Aint such a thing. :)

True that; you allow the portrayal of normal moderate Muslim-Americans, next thing people will be talking about Irish-Americans, Italian-Americans, Native-Americans, African-Americans. America is all about one group of people and those people are white, God-fearing, gun totting patriots! [/sarcasm]

Upvote 0

PHenry42

Feb 3, 2011
✟1,527.00
Faith
Muslim
Both history and current events show that Christian Civilization is inherently hostile toward non-Christian cultures, particularly Islamic culture. I take no pleasure in saying so, but facts are facts. So "A" is not that far from the truth. You can point to individual Christian who hold to, or at least are not hostile to, Islamic values in order to argue the contrary.

Fixed that for you.

Reactions: tulc
Upvote 0