A futurist view of Revelation is insulting!

earagun

Oct 29, 2011
✟852.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Huh? "You have listed"??? but those charts are not mine :swoon:
I see! either way there wrong! the statue is a representation of the body of satan and his kingdoms, his false religions.........The bible says in the days of these kingdoms God will set up an ever lasting kingdom, one that will never be destroyed. If the last and final kingdom is a spiritual one manifested by a real King (Jesus) and His faithful followers, and angels then hermeneutics would tell you that the previous kingdoms are spiritual also, the mistake lies in representing human empires as the kingdoms. Nebuchadnezzer was the head of gold because he represented Babel the first false religion to form in the history of the earth, each false religion gets born out the empires named, we see from scripture that all four become joined together as depicted in revelations lion.bear,leopard

Upvote 0

Presentist

Jul 14, 2011
✟514.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The bible says in the days of these kingdoms God will set up an ever lasting kingdom.

Your view of prophecy will depend on your view of when God set up His kingdom. Did this occur at Calvary (according to the Presentist View), or is this still future (according to the Futurist View)? In other words, are we currently in His kingdom or not?

presentist1.gif

futurist1.gif

Upvote 0

Daniel Martinovich

Friend
Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2011
Southwest USA
Visit site
✟487,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
then again you may want to read the end of the book of Daniel and see that this prophecy is completely connected with the resurrection of the dead, and the coming of Christ, as these two events are inseparable

I go over the book of Daniel in great detail including the last chapter in that article I listed. So, I have "read" it.

Daniel 12:2. And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt.
Again, pop-eschatologist treat the subject of resurrection a one or two time future event. Yet the New Testament is full of resurrection. In fact it is just exactly as this verse states, and in the first century as this verse stated. Matthew 27: 51. And, behold, the veil of the temple was torn in two from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks broke; 52. And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose, 53.And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared to many. Notice that verse 52 of Matthew 27 is almost verbatim of the first part of Daniel 12:2. So much so that one might believe it is a direct quote.
End Time Prophecy article in Wordservice.org

I imagine you are thinking at this point, "what the heck is this guy talking about. Is he saying the resurrection already happened?"
The answer to that is no. I am not saying "the" resurrection already happened. What I am saying is there is no such thing as a one or two time prophetic event called THE resurrection. There is a doctrine or doctrines called THE resurrection but no event. What people suppose are prophetic events about resurrection is merely the usage of illustrative language and pictures used to teach the doctrine about resurrection.
The basic doctrine of New Testament resurrection is that there is immediate life after death. As opposed to the many theories the Jewish and pagan world holds about life or no life after death. This basic new testament doctrine teaches that this immediate life after death includes a physical body. Not a physical body as as we understand physical but a physical body none the less. In this "new" body we generally go immediately to heaven or hell. Resurrection is past to those who have died, present for those who are dying and future for those still alive.
Can I prove this by scripture. Absolutely and easily. You will have to go to that website wordservice.org, go to Bible basics, go to Resurrection. Easy to read article, takes about ten minutes to read. It points out obvious things that just seemed to be missed for reasons I don't understand.

Upvote 0

Daniel Martinovich

Friend
Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2011
Southwest USA
Visit site
✟487,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Only Jesus Christ has put on immortality. Those saints who came out of grave after He did, went back. You might want to look at John 5, as it shows that there would be a small-sized resurrection of the just, but we are not to marvel at that one: for in another hour will come when all will hear and rise to life.
That is when every saint will put on life in themselves/eternal life.

When is this?
Rev. 19 - when the wife puts on righteousness.

When the two witnesss in Rev. 11 rise at the earthquake hour /third woe/7th trumpet.

Daniel 12 shows that Daniel rises at the end of the days of chapter 11/the 1290th day. There will come a time of 45 days later when anyone still alive can be blessed - but they must not rest -but wait and come to the 1335th day.
This will be after Armageddon ends.
These people will not have been given eternal life, just blessed to live on into the reign of Jesus Christ with the saints on the earth.

Sticking to the subject of resurrection. What you say about it is so easily falsifiable using the New testament. Please, take a few minutes and read that article. wordservice.org, Bible Basics, Resurrection.

Upvote 0

Daniel Martinovich

Friend
Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2011
Southwest USA
Visit site
✟487,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Why? Did Jesus having 7 horns and 7 eyes mean he was one of 7 emperors? No. Of course not. But there was a reference to the 7fold spirit! What's that about? The Holy Spirit isn't the 3rd person in the Godhead any more? No. The number is being used in its Jewish sense of God's perfection.

Try to be consistent with Jewish number symbolism please! When Revelation uses 7 of Jesus eyes and horns, it is referring to God's perfect authority and knowledge.

Chapter 12-14 recounts the gospel story so far, with Mary giving birth to Jesus and Satan opposing the baby from birth. Satan (the dragon) has 7 heads and 10 horns. He is imitating Jesus perfect power and authority.

The 7 horned 10 headed beast is trying to imitate Jesus; but in the end it mimics Satan. The number patterns are repeated for a reason. The terrifying beast is Rome which persecuted God's people and, from an Ancient Middle Eastern world-view and cosmology, basically controlled the whole world. It might sound silly to modern ears, but to them Rome really did rule the world.

And in describing Rome, and how Christians were to act towards their persecution, he describes how Christians should act in all situations of 'beastly' government sponsored persecution.

Remember, ONLY this reading is consistent with the way John describes the purpose of the whole book in the first verse!

1 The revelation from Jesus Christ, which God gave him to show his servants what must soon take place. He made it known by sending his angel to his servant John, 2 who testifies to everything he saw—that is, the word of God and the testimony of Jesus Christ. 3 Blessed is the one who reads aloud the words of this prophecy, and blessed are those who hear it and take to heart what is written in it, because the time is near.

The time really was near, as the Roman persecution was just about to burst forth. And, even though we in the western world are not under persecution now (praise the Lord!), the time remains near. Because while we might not be persecuted, we can face prejudice, and we must resist the temptation to trust in worldly security and authorities rather than God. So while it is primarily about Rome, just as the books of Corinthians were about and to the church in Corinth, the wisdom in the book can be applied to today. Well, to every age of Christians actually, including the last 2000 years.

Otherwise, reading it as you do, the book is mostly irrelevant most of the time.

I appreciate some of the things you are saying, they are relevant. However the Bible lays out a big picture concerning Bible prophecy. It interprets that big picture for us. All the details of that big picture that are not interpreted are within the context of that big picture. These are the scriptures I am using as opposed to Biblical numerology.

Daniel chapter 7:7 After this I looked in the night visions, and saw a fourth animal, dreadful and terrible, and exceedingly strong; and it had great iron teeth: it devoured and crushed, and trampled what was left with its feet: and it was different from all the animals that were before it; and it had ten horns. 8. I considered the horns, and look, there came up among them another little horn, before whom there were three of the first horns uprooted; and look, in this horn were eyes like the eyes of man, and a mouth speaking great things. 9. I looked until the thrones were set up, and the ancient of days sat, whose robe was white as snow, and the hair of his head like the pure wool: his throne was like the flames of fire, and its wheels were burning fire. 10. A river of fire ran and issued from his presence: thousand thousands served him, and ten thousand times ten thousand stood in his presence: the court was seated, and the books were opened. 11. I was looking then because of the sound of the great words which the horn spoke: I looked until the animal was killed, and his body destroyed, and given to the burning flame.
The interpretation: 7:19. Then I would know the truth of the fourth animal, which was different from all the others, exceeding dreadful, whose teeth were of iron, and his nails of brass; which devoured and crushed, and trampled what was left with his feet; 20. And of the ten horns that were in his head, and of the other which came up, before whom three fell; even of that horn that had eyes, and a mouth that spoke very great things, whose look was more greater than his fellows. 21. I was looking, and the same horn made war with the saints, and overpowered them; 22. Until the Ancient of days came, and judgment was given to the saints of the most High; and the time came that the saints possessed the kingdom. 23. So he said, The fourth beast shall be the fourth kingdom upon earth, which shall be different from all kingdoms, and shall devour the whole earth, and shall tread it down, and crush it. 24. And the ten horns out of this kingdom are ten kings that shall arise: and another shall rise after them; and he shall be diverse from the first, and he shall subdue three kings. 25. And he shall speak great words against the most High, and shall wear out the saints of the most High, and think to change times and laws: and they shall be given into his hand until a time and times and the dividing of time. 26. But the court will sit, and they shall take away his empire, to consume and to destroy it until the end. 27. And the kingdom and empire, and the greatness of the dominion under the whole heaven, will be given to the people of the saints of the most High, whose kingdom is an everlasting kingdom, and all empires shall serve and obey him.
The period of time allotted the little horn as recorded in Daniels prophecy is: a time and times and the dividing of time. (Or a year, two years and a half a year.) This Hebrew word is technically understood to be years. The same word where seven times (years) passed over king Nebuchadnezzar in Daniel chapter 4. This time period is repeated no less than five times in different visions of the same things in Revelation 11-13 using these words: Chapter 11- Forty-two months; 1260 days. Chapter 12- 1260 days; a time, and times and half a time (the same way Daniel puts it, verifying it once more.) Chapter 13- Forty-two months.

Here is how the scripture itself interprets this time period. Revelation 17: 7 And the angel said to me, Why did you marvel? I will tell you the mystery of the woman, and of the beast that carries her, which has the seven heads and ten horns. 8 The beast that you saw was, and is not; and shall ascend out of the bottomless pit, and go into perdition: and they that dwell on the earth shall wonder, whose names were not written in the book of life from the foundation of the world, when they behold the beast that was, and is not, and yet is. 9 And here is the mind which has wisdom. The seven heads are seven mountains, on which the woman sits. 10 And there are seven kings: five are fallen, and one is, and the other is not yet come; and when he coms, he must continue a short space. 11 And the beast that was, and is not, even he is the eighth, and is of the seven, and goes into perdition. 12 And the ten horns which you saw are ten kings, which have received no kingdom as yet; but receive power as kings one hour with the beast. 13 These have one mind, and shall give their power and strength unto the beast.
The seven kings are the first seven emperors of Rome. Five are fallen and the sixth is the current emperor which would be Vespasian. This gives us the date that John received his vision. During the reign of Vespasian. Ending all the speculation of "scholars." There was civil war for a year after the death of Nero with a number of people laying claim to the throne. Vespasian won. Perhaps half of the lists of Roman emperors will list all who claimed the throne during that year as being emperors. However the scripture does not look at it that way, nor do the other half of the lists of Roman emperors. He who ends up as emperor is the one the scripture sights. Which was Vespasian. The seventh emperor is Titus, Vespasian's son, the one who destroyed Jerusalem in 70A.D. He did this while Vespasian was still emperor. The eighth emperor is Domitian. He is also Vespasian's son. This is one of the reasons why he is "of the seven." The reason Domitian is referred to as the "Beast" is because he is the first of the ten emperors (horns) of the ten horned beast in Daniel chapter seven. So starting with Domitian the next ten emperors of Rome are the ten horns. Once their reign ends there will have been a total of three dynasties of Roman Emperors.
Commodus is the last emperor (number ten of the ten.) He died in 192 A.D. Once more for a year there is civil war with five people claiming the throne. In 193 A.D. it is Septimius Severus who ends up as emperor. The civil war that propelled him to the throne went like this. Pertinax who may have had a hand in the assassination of Commodus was proclaimed emperor by the Praetorian Guard. Apparently he paid them to do this. Not being satisfied with their payment the guard murdered Pertinax and installed Didius Julianus who paid them more. Septimius Severus secured Rome, beheaded Didius Julianus and disbanded the Praetorian Guard. His legions then defeated the legions of the his rival claimant's to the throne, Pescennius Niger and Clodius Albinus. A web page that lists these emperors.
This is how Daniel's vision predicts and interprets this situation. Verse 7.....
it was different from all the animals that were before it; and it had ten horns. 8. I considered the horns, and look, there came up among them another little horn, before whom there were three of the first horns uprooted; Notice here that it does not say three horns or emperors were conquered. Instead it uses the term to "uproot." Then we go to the angels interpretation of this.24. And the ten horns out of this kingdom are ten kings that shall arise: and another shall rise after them; and he shall be diverse from the first, and he shall subdue three kings. The words "diverse from the first" in verse 24 are the actually interpretation of "three of the first horns uprooted" in verse 8. One may also take the words "he shall subdue three kings" this way but it seems to better fit the scenario in the previous sentence. This is why: There were three distinct dynasties of Italian emperors that were "uprooted" by Septimius Severus. His father was African, his mother Italian. From this point on being Italian as a prerequisite of being the Emperor of Rome or the Romans will fade into obscurity. His son Emperor Caracalla even granted almost all the free inhabitants of the empire full Roman citizenship. The old order of the empire as exemplified by the first three dynasties of Italian Roman emperors was completely uprooted at this time. The last part of verse 24, "and he shall subdue" three kings were in fact fulfilled by his conquering of Didius Julianus, Pescennius Niger and Clodius Albinus to become emperor.
From 193 A.D. to 1453 A.D there never ceased to be an emperor on the throne of the Roman Empire which is exactly 1260 years. This is the symbolic time period named over and over in Bible prophecy. This is the "hard" date or time period. Emperor (284-305) Diocletian the author of the greatest persecutions of believers thus far divided the empire into two sections, eastern and western with two emperors. He remained emperor of the eastern half while installing Maximian as the emperor of western portion in Rome in 285. Constantine started ruling a portion of the western empire in 306 and gradually ascending to the point of the defeat of the eastern emperor Licinius in 324 in a civil war. He did away with the two emperor model assuming ruler ship of the entire empire. He then built and in 330 A.D. consecrated Constantinople as the capitol of the Roman Empire modeling it after the city of Rome. Before Constantine died in 337 he once more divided the empire into an eastern and western branch setting his sons as emperors over them. Constantinople remained the capitol of the Roman Empire until it was conquered by the Turks 1453 A.D. From: Wordservice.org, End Time Prophecy article.

In my opinion this date is in the top ten of amazing, radical, secular humanist pwning, world changing fulfillment of Bible prophecy in the Word of God.

Upvote 0

eclipsenow

Scripture is God's word, Science is God's works
Dec 17, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Visit site
✟143,788.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Here is how the scripture itself interprets this time period.

Hi Daniel,
you put a lot of work into that post and I appreciate it. There's a lot there to respond to, and I'm running late for something so right now I'll just raise one point.

What if it doesn't? What if you've read Rev 17 through the lens of Daniel 7:19, instead of reading Daniel through the lens of Revelation?

One reason to do this: the Day of the Lord splits.

In the Old Testament the "Day of the Lord" is the one event. But it is confusing because sometimes it is talking about the Day of the Messiah, when our suffering servant king would walk the earth, heal the sick, but eventually be murdered and take our iniquity. On other occasions it is discussing Judgement Day and our final perfect rest in the eternal kingdom of God.

Sometimes it uses the language of Jesus as conquering King when in fact the NT reinterprets Jesus death and ascension as his conquering sin and death and creating God's eternal kingdom, the church. Remember the book of Hebrews where we have come to Mt Zion. Remember the language of Ephesians where we are already seated before Christ in the heavenly realms. We have these things now, but not yet fully.

So it is with the Day of the Lord. What to the Old Testament seems like the one event, the Messiah King and Conqueror, splits into the first advent of the Suffering Servant Messiah King to be followed up by the Judging Conquering Renewing Servant King when Jesus returns on JUDGEMENT DAY.

There is a 'now and not yetness' to God's kingdom, the church, that really is, right now, ETERNAL; but the individuals in it are mortal. As Revelation shows, the church is ETERNAL and SECURE, but Satan is let loose to kill and maim individuals in it.

In other words, with these 2 sides to the same coin of 'Day of the Lord' splitting into 2, and 'Eternal Kingdom of God' splitting into present reality but future promise, how do we know which way to read the chunks of Daniel you quote?

We'll get down to the symbolism of what means what soon, but I just wanted to raise the '2 kingdoms' theology here as it will affect our eschatological concepts.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

eclipsenow

Dec 17, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Visit site
✟143,788.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Your view of prophecy will depend on your view of when God set up His kingdom. Did this occur at Calvary (according to the Presentist View), or is this still future (according to the Futurist View)? In other words, are we currently in His kingdom or not?

Isn't it basic Christian doctrine that the church = the kingdom of God? Wow. I didn't realise some people dropped that idea to fit in with their precious 'end times timelines'.

Upvote 0

Daniel Martinovich

Friend
Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2011
Southwest USA
Visit site
✟487,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hi Daniel,
you put a lot of work into that post and I appreciate it. There's a lot there to respond to, and I'm running late for something so right now I'll just raise one point.

What if it doesn't? What if you've read Rev 17 through the lens of Daniel 7:19, instead of reading Daniel through the lens of Revelation?

One reason to do this: the Day of the Lord splits.

In the Old Testament the "Day of the Lord" is the one event. But it is confusing because sometimes it is talking about the Day of the Messiah, when our suffering servant king would walk the earth, heal the sick, but eventually be murdered and take our iniquity. On other occasions it is discussing Judgement Day and our final perfect rest in the eternal kingdom of God.

Sometimes it uses the language of Jesus as conquering King when in fact the NT reinterprets Jesus death and ascension as his conquering sin and death and creating God's eternal kingdom, the church. Remember the book of Hebrews where we have come to Mt Zion. Remember the language of Ephesians where we are already seated before Christ in the heavenly realms. We have these things now, but not yet fully.

So it is with the Day of the Lord. What to the Old Testament seems like the one event, the Messiah King and Conqueror, splits into the first advent of the Suffering Servant Messiah King to be followed up by the Judging Conquering Renewing Servant King when Jesus returns on JUDGEMENT DAY.

There is a 'now and not yetness' to God's kingdom, the church, that really is, right now, ETERNAL; but the individuals in it are mortal. As Revelation shows, the church is ETERNAL and SECURE, but Satan is let loose to kill and maim individuals in it.

In other words, with these 2 sides to the same coin of 'Day of the Lord' splitting into 2, and 'Eternal Kingdom of God' splitting into present reality but future promise, how do we know which way to read the chunks of Daniel you quote?

We'll get down to the symbolism of what means what soon, but I just wanted to raise the '2 kingdoms' theology here as it will affect our eschatological concepts.

I view all of Daniels visions and all of Revelation as just an expansion of Daniels very first vision. In otherwords God gave him a big picture. In the next visons he interpited that big picture by nameing the 4 empires. All of the subsequent visons in Daniel and revelation are filler or expansions of the original vision. God began to show many details within the already interprited big picture. That's why I put them togehter like I do. God was showing John where he was at in Daniels visons timewise.

You sure are looking at some things you are saying correctly. That says allot. There is so much craziness in christian forums that I wonder if the people posting have read their Bibles moe than once or twice in their lives.

Upvote 0

Douggg

anytime rapture, non-dispensationalist, futurist
May 28, 2009
Non-dispensationalist
✟360,523.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
The period of time allotted the little horn as recorded in Daniels prophecy is: a time and times and the dividing of time. (Or a year, two years and a half a year.) This Hebrew word is technically understood to be years. The same word where seven times (years) passed over king Nebuchadnezzar in Daniel chapter 4. This time period is repeated no less than five times in different visions of the same things in Revelation 11-13 using these words: Chapter 11- Forty-two months; 1260 days. Chapter 12- 1260 days; a time, and times and half a time (the same way Daniel puts it, verifying it once more.) Chapter 13- Forty-two months.

Hi Daniel, the units of time are expressed differently for a reason.

The terms vary according to precise ness. All are accurate in that they express the time involved.

1260 days is very precise to the very day.
42 months is precise to the nearest month.
a times, times, and half times is the most rounded off, it can be more than or less than 1260 days.

The two witnesses testify for 1260 days. They are killed on day 1260. That leaves 1260 days in the 7 years. 3 1/2 days later they ascend to heaven. That leaves 1256.5 days left in the 7 years. Rather than say 1256.5 days, the bible says 42 months that the Antichrist beast is given rule over earth in Revelation 13:5.

When the two witnesses ascend on day 1256.5, there is the war in heaven by which Satan is cast down. We aren't told how much time passes here on earth for the war to take place and Satan cast down. So on day 1256.5 + the time for the war in heaven, leaves a time, times, and half times that Satan has left after he is cast down during the second half of the 7 years.

The way the times are expressed also form a basic timeline of events for the seven years, with like-expressions being either in the first half or second half.

1st half
1260 days - Revelation 11:3, 12:6

2nd half
42 months - Revelation 11:2, 13:5
time, times, half times - Daniel 7:25, 12:7, Revelation 12:14
The seven kings are the first seven emperors of Rome. Five are fallen and the sixth is the current emperor which would be Vespasian. This gives us the date that John received his vision.
There is a debate over when Revelation was given to John.

I am of the camp, that it was when Nero was ruling.

The 7 kings would thus be:

1. Julius Caesar
2. Augustus
3. Tiberius
4. Caligula
5. Claudius
6. Nero - the last of the Julio-Claudian leaders, i.e the Caesar family. The next dynasty were the Flavians.

7. Antichrist man - of the Caesar bloodline. Near future. Rules for 3 1/2 years. Then killed. Comes back to live incarnated by the beast spirit coming out of the bottomless pit.

8. Antichrist beast. The incarnated Antichrist man. Rules for the second half of the seven years - 42 months.
The reason Domitian is referred to as the "Beast" is because he is the first of the ten emperors (horns) of the ten horned beast in Daniel chapter seven.

So starting with Domitian the next ten emperors of Rome are the ten horns.
Not hardly. The beast was in the bottomless pit at the time of John, Revelation 17:8. He was alive and is not - at the time of John. And is still there right now. My view is that he is Nimrod.

8The beast that thou sawest was, and is not; and shall ascend out of the bottomless pit, and go into perdition:

Second part of Revelation 17:8 is about the Antichrist man who sometime in the future is killed and comes back alive. People will witness that happening. Outwardly, it will be the person of the Antichrist man. But when he comes back alive, it is then that the beast (spirit of Nimrod) in the bottomless pit ascends to incarnate him ... and goes into perdition as it says above when Jesus returns and he is cast alive into the lake of fire.

and they that dwell on the earth shall wonder, whose names were not written in the book of life from the foundation of the world, when they behold the beast that was, and is not, and yet is.

So starting with Domitian the next ten emperors of Rome are the ten horns.
The ten kings are not a series of successive rulers. They all rule at the same time... concurrently. They are not revealed yet. But it appears as though they will appear soon - judging by the crisis in the EU right now.
This is how Daniel's vision predicts and interprets this situation. Verse 7..... it was different from all the animals that were before it; and it had ten horns. 8. I considered the horns, and look, there came up among them another little horn, before whom there were three of the first horns uprooted; Notice here that it does not say three horns or emperors were conquered. Instead it uses the term to "uproot."
Are you aware that they are talking about removing Greece from the EU right now? They are going through an upheaval in the EU. I am expecting that there is going to be ten kings emerge out of the EU. And there is going to be one king who is going to have power over the other ten. Then he will be able to remove kings who don't measure up.

Doug

Upvote 0

eclipsenow

Dec 17, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Visit site
✟143,788.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I view all of Daniels visions and all of Revelation as just an expansion of Daniels very first vision.
Then your fundamental presupposition is incorrect. Revelation interprets Daniel, NOT the other way around. The entire Eschatological framework of the hopes of Israel were so profoundly changed with Jesus as the suffering-servant king that we ALWAYS should read the NT as interpreting the OT. Jesus interprets some of the OT pretty wildly, as do the Apostles. Yet they were inspired by the Holy Spirit to do so.

On what grounds do you think you can undo their interpretation of the Old Testament, and try and twist it round the other way?

In otherwords God gave him a big picture. In the next visons he interpited that big picture by nameing the 4 empires. All of the subsequent visons in Daniel and revelation are filler or expansions of the original vision. God began to show many details within the already interprited big picture. That's why I put them togehter like I do. God was showing John where he was at in Daniels visons timewise.
Incorrect! John purposely welds the 4 empires of Daniel together. In effect he's saying, "Remember Daniel's vision of those 4 terrible empires? Well, now imagine they're all mixed up into 1 terrible empire. Let's run with some images of what that might look like." Basically Daniel merges the 4 kingdoms together to generalise.

Any time we face persecution for belonging to Christ, the book of Revelation applies. These are idealised symbols that describe generalities, not particular and specific predictions. The language doesn't allow it, and John doesn't interpret it for us that way. Daniel does. John doesn't. There's a reason. It interprets itself. The 4 kingdoms are all mixed up together in the one beast because we are meant to understand it as a generalisation of all governments and authorities that rise up against God's people.

Upvote 0

eclipsenow

Dec 17, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Visit site
✟143,788.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
1260 days is very precise to the very day.
42 months is precise to the nearest month.
a times, times, and half times is the most rounded off, it can be more than or less than 1260 days.

The two witnesses testify for 1260 days. They are killed on day 1260. That leaves 1260 days in the 7 years. 3 1/2 days later they ascend to heaven. That leaves 1256.5 days left in the 7 years. Rather than say 1256.5 days, the bible says 42 months that the Antichrist beast is given rule over earth in Revelation 13:5.

When the two witnesses ascend on day 1256.5, there is the war in heaven by which Satan is cast down. We aren't told how much time passes here on earth for the war to take place and Satan cast down. So on day 1256.5 + the time for the war in heaven, leaves a time, times, and half times that Satan has left after he is cast down during the second half of the 7 years.

The way the times are expressed also form a basic timeline of events for the seven years, with like-expressions being either in the first half or second half.

1st half
1260 days - Revelation 11:3, 12:6

2nd half
42 months - Revelation 11:2, 13:5
time, times, half times - Daniel 7:25, 12:7, Revelation 12:14
There is a debate over when Revelation was given to John.

I am of the camp, that it was when Nero was ruling.

The 7 kings would thus be:

1. Julius Caesar
2. Augustus
3. Tiberius
4. Caligula
5. Claudius
6. Nero - the last of the Julio-Claudian leaders, i.e the Caesar family. The next dynasty were the Flavians.

7. Antichrist man - of the Caesar bloodline. Near future. Rules for 3 1/2 years. Then killed. Comes back to live incarnated by the beast spirit coming out of the bottomless pit.

8. Antichrist beast. The incarnated Antichrist man. Rules for the second half of the seven years - 42 months.
Not hardly. The beast was in the bottomless pit at the time of John, Revelation 17:8. He was alive and is not - at the time of John. And is still there right now. My view is that he is Nimrod.

8The beast that thou sawest was, and is not; and shall ascend out of the bottomless pit, and go into perdition:

Second part of Revelation 17:8 is about the Antichrist man who sometime in the future is killed and comes back alive. People will witness that happening. Outwardly, it will be the person of the Antichrist man. But when he comes back alive, it is then that the beast (spirit of Nimrod) in the bottomless pit ascends to incarnate him ... and goes into perdition as it says above when Jesus returns and he is cast alive into the lake of fire.

and they that dwell on the earth shall wonder, whose names were not written in the book of life from the foundation of the world, when they behold the beast that was, and is not, and yet is.

The ten kings are not a series of successive rulers. They all rule at the same time... concurrently. They are not revealed yet. But it appears as though they will appear soon - judging by the crisis in the EU right now.
Are you aware that they are talking about removing Greece from the EU right now? They are going through an upheaval in the EU. I am expecting that there is going to be ten kings emerge out of the EU. And there is going to be one king who is going to have power over the other ten. Then he will be able to remove kings who don't measure up.

Doug

This is the kind of post that, quite frankly, blows my mind with alarm. People are trying to read Revelation as series of specific and particular prophecies that they must interpret for today. The fact that there are 20 thousand different interpretations out there doesn't seem to bother them. Any mug can have a go. Anyone can play this game. And let's just forget that this reading of Revelation makes much of it irrelevant to the church for the last 2000 years!

Time and again I see discussions like this.

No, it's this. No, it's this over here. No, it's that over there. No, it's this again.

I feel like asking, are we there yet?

Well, maybe not. I really feel like asking why they even approach the book like this in the first place. What are their presuppositions? How did they get a book full of biblical images, that basically restates the gospel to a suffering church, so wrong?

How about proving to Reformed Evangelical Amil's like myself that the book of Revelation even is a series of particular prophecies in the first place? Like, when do we see Jesus with 7 horns and 7 eyes? ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Nov 16, 2009
Kentucky
✟12,610.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The preterist position is dead in the water before it came into thought................The Word reminds us that HIStory, has a tendecy of repeating itself. And while several prophecies from Torah make appear as if David were the coming Messiah, a preterist, and there were many of them in Jesus' days on earth, would have rejected Him thus.
Jesus clearly said that He had come in His Father's name, and they rejected Him, but another, would come in his own name, and he, they would receive.

Nero did not mark the entire world, and he had enemies from the north and the west, and the east constantly threatening his sovereignty, as did all of the roman emperors.:doh:

Upvote 0

eclipsenow

Dec 17, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Visit site
✟143,788.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The preterist position is dead in the water before it came into thought................The Word reminds us that HIStory, has a tendecy of repeating itself. And while several prophecies from Torah make appear as if David were the coming Messiah, a preterist, and there were many of them in Jesus' days on earth, would have rejected Him thus.

Not sure of the logic here?

Jesus clearly said that He had come in His Father's name, and they rejected Him, but another, would come in his own name, and he, they would receive.
Can you show me where he says this?

Nero did not mark the entire world, and he had enemies from the north and the west, and the east constantly threatening his sovereignty, as did all of the roman emperors.:doh:
Why do you read the mark literally? Does Jesus actually have 7 eyes and 7 horns? :doh::doh::doh:

Tell me this. Did God literally put a visible MARK on the Christians? For directly after Chapter 13 that everyone is just so fascinated in comes this handy little reminder that this whole BOOK is symbolic.

1 Then I looked, and there before me was the Lamb, standing on Mount Zion, and with him 144,000 who had his name and his Father’s name written on their foreheads.

Is that literal? Is there only going to be 144,000 people in heaven with God's name literally written on their foreheads? Or is this imagery about the seal of the Holy Spirit in the Christian's life?

Here's a thought. The Jews love to say things 3 times for emphasis. "Holy, Holy, Holy, is the Lord God Almighty".

6 is a man's number. We were created on the 6th day, and work for 6 days. So, instead of this being some special NAME code, what if the emphasis on this passage is more that the ungodly will be willing to prostitute their ethics for money.

16 It also forced all people, great and small, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hands or on their foreheads, 17 so that they could not buy or sell unless they had the mark, which is the name of the beast or the number of its name. 18 This calls for wisdom. Let the person who has insight calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man.[e] That number is 666.

Literally, 'let them figure it'. Not name it. We're not looking for Gorbechev or Saddam Hussein or Obama. We (all Christians of the last 2000 years and counting) are meant to read the symbolism here. We're looking for a NUMBER, not a name, and that symbolism is "man trying to be like the trinity, like God". In other words, this is about those who are willing to do anything for money, even defy their faith for gain.

If you've ever been passed over a promotion or refused a job because you're a Christian and too ethical for certain people, this verse applies to you. It's a generic description of the suffering many had in Rome but it also applies to all Christians throughout all ages who have ever suffered discrimination or prejudice for Jesus.

Basically, instead of reading the gospel imagery and number symbolism for what it is, you're forcing your presuppositions about what this 'prophecy' must mean now to ... justify reading it as a prophecy in the first place, and have a go at defining what it must mean now.

That's a circular argument.

Reactions: Gnarwhal
Upvote 0

Douggg

anytime rapture, non-dispensationalist, futurist
May 28, 2009
Non-dispensationalist
✟360,523.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
This is the kind of post that, quite frankly, blows my mind with alarm. People are trying to read Revelation as series of specific and particular prophecies that they must interpret for today. The fact that there are 20 thousand different interpretations out there doesn't seem to bother them. Any mug can have a go. Anyone can play this game. And let's just forget that this reading of Revelation makes much of it irrelevant to the church for the last 2000 years!

Time and again I see discussions like this.

No, it's this. No, it's this over here. No, it's that over there. No, it's this again.

I feel like asking, are we there yet?

Well, maybe not. I really feel like asking why they even approach the book like this in the first place. What are their presuppositions? How did they get a book full of biblical images, that basically restates the gospel to a suffering church, so wrong?

How about proving to Reformed Evangelical Amil's like myself that the book of Revelation even is a series of particular prophecies in the first place? Like, when do we see Jesus with 7 horns and 7 eyes? ;)

I don't think that there is an atheist out there who could have phrased your post better.

Doug

Upvote 0

earagun

Oct 29, 2011
✟852.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I view all of Daniels visions and all of Revelation as just an expansion of Daniels very first vision. In otherwords God gave him a big picture. In the next visons he interpited that big picture by nameing the 4 empires. All of the subsequent visons in Daniel and revelation are filler or expansions of the original vision. God began to show many details within the already interprited big picture. That's why I put them togehter like I do. God was showing John where he was at in Daniels visons timewise.

You sure are looking at some things you are saying correctly. That says allot. There is so much craziness in christian forums that I wonder if the people posting have read their Bibles moe than once or twice in their lives.
Exactly! Daniel is like a portait of a bowl of fruit, and different renderings of this same portait, are done from different angles of the same bowl of fruit.......Revelations is verifying that all these portaits are one and the same........my personal opinion is the whole statue is a rendering of the kingdoms of satan, which satan showed Jesus during His time of tempting in the wilderness. satans kingdoms are the only thing standing in the way of the last kingdom, the one that God sets up in the time of those kingdoms, the one that will never be destroyed. Jesus's Kingdom is a spiritual kingdom manifested by real people, satans kingdoms are just as real manifested by real people also

Upvote 0

interpreter

Mar 4, 2004
Texas
✟7,377.00
Faith
Anglican
But that never happened. The Bible explicitly says it will happen, not that there will be a plan for it to happen.
It fits because many of the other prophecies are about Hitler and WW II, like the 200 million horses prepared (or manufactured) for release in one day, D-day, against the forces of the antichrist.

I well remember the pictures that were released at the time. And the Euphrates was full of water.
The lower 50 miles of the Euphrates was bone dry for 9 years, dried up By Saddam Hussein with a couple dams and a diversion canal that he named the Mother of All Battles River.

Upvote 0