In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Yes, your "sketched out" exodus consists of little more than 4 men and a donkey crossing the Sinai.............sometime!

So, indeed, the probabilities improve remarkably........,
Flippant remarks merely mean that you have no meaningful evidence to present to the contrary. I take this as broad acknowledgement of my position.

Upvote 0

Papias

Listening to TW4
Dec 22, 2005
✟57,276.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Nope, you asked for a mention amongst the records the Egyptians left us.

I explicitly mentioned the lack of any desert evidence of 2,000,000 people over and over. Do you want me to quote them? It's posts #23, #33, #45 and #83.

The only place to expect that would be in Papyrus as I explained earlier.

Even if we were only talking about Egyptian records, they also recorded huge amounts of information in other ways, such as stone inscriptions.

Please stop impuning my honour and actually READ what I write.

All my responses are based on what your write. I've even quoted you over and over.

As I said repeatedly, an Exodus cannot be completely excluded from current knowledge. ...Again though, I am NOT SAYING IT DID HAPPEN, but that it may have and such a view can also be archaeologically supported.

Back to to the Having your Cake fallacy.

Listen, myself and others have asked many times what you are exactly claiming. On one hand, you say you aren't claiming it happened, but then you say it can't be completely excluded, and that "it may have happened". That's like saying that "I'm not claiming that spider man is real, but he can't be completely excluded from current knowledge, and he may after all be real."

We've asked repeatedly for you to be clear, so how about if I make it really easy. Which of these claims do you support?

A. The exodus happened as recorded in the Pentateuch. (You've already said you agree that the Pentatuech story isn't real).
B. The exodus happened as written, but it was only ~1.5 million people.
C. The exodus happened as written, but it was only ~1.3 million people.
D. The exodus happened as written, but it was only ~1.0 million people.
E. The exodus happened as written, but it was only ~0.8 million people.
F. The exodus happened as written, but it was only ~0.6 million people.
G. The exodus happened as written, but it was only ~0.2 million people.
H. The exodus happened as written, but it was only ~20,000 people.
I. The exodus happened as written, but it was only ~2,000 people.
J. The exodus happened as written, but it was only ~200 people.
K. The exodus happened as written, but it was only ~20 people.
L. The exodus happened as written, but it was only ~1 person.

MA, MB, MC = same as above, except the miracles like the parting of the sea, burning bush, etc. didn't happen.

DMA, DMB, DMC - Same as M above, except that they didn't go through the desert (and the miracles didn't happen).

PDMA, PDMB, PDMC - same as DM above + the plagues didn't happen.

PhPDMA, PhPDMB, etc - same as PDM above + all the stuff with Pharoah didn't happen (they just snuck out).

Other variations? Go for it - just be explicit. Thanks.

I am becoming highly offended by your insistence that I am making some kind of fallacy based on your own delusional reading of what I wrote, when I am doing nothing of the sort. This does not allow you merely to dismiss what I am saying.

Yes, it does. When one continues to use the "Having your cake" fallacy, and tries to shift the burden of proof, that very much allows any reasonable person to dismiss what they are saying.

You are mistaken. The new Chronology was published in peer-reviewed Archaeological journals by a degreed Egyptologist based on Archaeological evidence. There are other Archaeologists besides Rohl who espouse this or similar chronological revisions.
Obviously this is a very fierce argument since people are coming along and saying that a lot of what you have studied is basically wrong. People circled the wagons on both sides and proceeded to throw barbs at each other. ...
The New Chronology remains a minority view in Archaeology, but this does not make it wrong.

Yes, it does. It makes it more likely to be wrong when practically all the experts, who know the evidence, say it is wrong. I've given several examples of the mainstream understanding that Rohl's ideas are not supported. You can give me a bunch of other Egyptologists who support his ideas - or admit that it's most likely wrong.

This is the fallacy of popularity, I believe?

No, it isn't. The argument from popularity refers to the general populace. It is absolutely reasonable to refer to the views of the consensus or majority of experts, and that's not the fallacy of popularity, and more than stating that we know HIV is likely real because most medical doctors say so.

I would have thought you already knew that. Did you already know that?

If the Exodus happened, you'll have to explain why the story describes the world of the 6th century BC. It lists them going through a bunch of cities that didn't exist until much later than the story is supposedly happening. It's like finding a story about Uncle Sam in the Year 1776, who, after crossing the Potomac, visited the Lincoln memorial, Arlington Cemetery (made in 1866), the Washington monument, and Seattle Washington. You would know that the story was made up no earlier than the late 1800s. The same is true for the Exodus story. http://www.bible.ca/archeology/bibl...kheleifeh-reappraisal-gary-pratico-1985ad.htm

In Christ-

Papias

Last edited:
Reactions: SteveB28
Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I explicitly mentioned the lack of any desert evidence of 2,000,000 people over and over. Do you want me to quote them? It's posts #23, #33, #45 and #83.

Even if we were only talking about Egyptian records, they also recorded huge amounts of information in other ways, such as stone inscriptions.
Again, stone inscriptions cannot be expected to show such things, which leaves perishable papyrus and the numbers would be much less than the millions in the narrative, for which evidence can be so construed.

All my responses are based on what your write. I've even quoted you over and over.
Yet you do not follow my arguments at all and merely restate your own.

Back to to the Having your Cake fallacy.

Listen, myself and others have asked many times what you are exactly claiming. On one hand, you say you aren't claiming it happened, but then you say it can't be completely excluded, and that "it may have happened". That's like saying that "I'm not claiming that spider man is real, but he can't be completely excluded from current knowledge, and he may after all be real."

We've asked repeatedly for you to be clear, so how about if I make it really easy. Which of these claims do you support?

A. The exodus happened as recorded in the Pentateuch. (You've already said you agree that the Pentatuech story isn't real).
B. The exodus happened as written, but it was only ~1.5 million people.
C. The exodus happened as written, but it was only ~1.3 million people.
D. The exodus happened as written, but it was only ~1.0 million people.
E. The exodus happened as written, but it was only ~0.8 million people.
F. The exodus happened as written, but it was only ~0.6 million people.
G. The exodus happened as written, but it was only ~0.2 million people.
H. The exodus happened as written, but it was only ~20,000 people.
I. The exodus happened as written, but it was only ~2,000 people.
J. The exodus happened as written, but it was only ~200 people.
K. The exodus happened as written, but it was only ~20 people.
L. The exodus happened as written, but it was only ~1 person.

MA, MB, MC = same as above, except the miracles like the parting of the sea, burning bush, etc. didn't happen.

DMA, DMB, DMC - Same as M above, except that they didn't go through the desert (and the miracles didn't happen).

PDMA, PDMB, PDMC - same as DM above + the plagues didn't happen.

PhPDMA, PhPDMB, etc - same as PDM above + all the stuff with Pharoah didn't happen (they just snuck out).

Other variations? Go for it - just be explicit. Thanks.
None of the above. As I said repeatedly, I am saying an Exodus event cannot be excluded completely on current evidence, not that it happened definitively.
Please read my posts.

I've had this type of discussion on historical boards without issue, but somehow people here do not understand the basics of Historical Criticism.

Yes, it does. When one continues to use the "Having your cake" fallacy, and tries to shift the burden of proof, that very much allows any reasonable person to dismiss what they are saying.
Again not applicable. Please read my posts.

Yes, it does. It makes it more likely to be wrong when practically all the experts, who know the evidence, say it is wrong. I've given several examples of the mainstream understanding that Rohl's ideas are not supported. You can give me a bunch of other Egyptologists who support his ideas - or admit that it's most likely wrong.

No, it isn't. The argument from popularity refers to the general populace. It is absolutely reasonable to refer to the views of the consensus or majority of experts, and that's not the fallacy of popularity, and more than stating that we know HIV is likely real because most medical doctors say so.

I would have thought you already knew that. Did you already know that?

Nope, the popularity fallacy refers within any populace, not just the general populace.
For instance there is a fallacy prevalent amongst the Medical profession that ARDS is due to hypovolaemia, while pulmonologists will tell you its due to the glycocalyx.

Again, a minority view is not immediately excluded and the minority views have been proven correct in the past, so...

If the Exodus happened, you'll have to explain why the story describes the world of the 6th century BC. It lists them going through a bunch of cities that didn't exist until much later than the story is supposedly happening. It's like finding a story about Uncle Sam in the Year 1776, who, after crossing the Potomac, visited the Lincoln memorial, Arlington Cemetery (made in 1866), the Washington monument, and Seattle Washington. You would know that the story was made up no earlier than the late 1800s. The same is true for the Exodus story. http://www.bible.ca/archeology/bibl...kheleifeh-reappraisal-gary-pratico-1985ad.htm

In Christ-

Papias
Legendary retellings tend to do so. Fantastical Mediaeval histories of Julius Caesar spoke of places that had not yet existed. Balkan and Islamic retellings of Alexander the Great speak of Sofia or Baghdad, again which had not existed.
This is no impediment at all, in fact expected.

This is a silly discussion at this point as you are being pointlessly disingenuous. You are not reading what I write at all or ignoring it completely. I am spending my time rewriting what I had already said because you insist on drawing conclusions that I never made and even explicitly repudiated.

I am not going to continue responding to this thread as I am wasting my time. I find it strange that people hold such fixed beliefs, but oh well. To quote CS Lewis: "Faith usually involves a degree of subjective certitude which goes beyond the logical certainty, or even the supposed logical certainty, of the arguments employed...This excess of certitude in a settled assent is not at all uncommon. Most of those who believe in uniformity of nature, Evolution or the Solar System share it." This is what is at play here, a great certitude way in excess of the logical support for it, in my opinion. Regardless...

Good day, sir.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I am saying an Exodus event cannot be excluded completely on current evidence

I can name a few other things that cannot be exluded "completely" on current evidence.
Like the Pyramids being build by, or with the help of, aliens.

The lesson here is that "well, you can't prove that it didn't happen!!!!" is not really an impressive argument.

In fact, it's shifting the burden of proof.

Upvote 0

Papias

Listening to TW4
Dec 22, 2005
✟57,276.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Again, stone inscriptions cannot be expected to show such things, which leaves perishable papyrus and the numbers would be much less than the millions in the narrative, for which evidence can be so construed.

But what is "much less"? We've asked several times, and you won't say. Even a rough guess? I don't doubt that at some point, a dozen slaves escaped from Egypt. Is that what you are saying?

None of the above. As I said repeatedly, I am saying an Exodus event cannot be excluded completely on current evidence, not that it happened definitively.

I laid out about all of the possibilities I could imagine - so what exactly are you imagining if it is "none of the above" that were listed in post #103? You can get rid of all the "Having your Cake" fallacy criticism by simply stating what you are proposing. Otherwise, it's hard to see how anyone would deny that your posts are based on the Having your Cake fallacy.

Again not applicable. Please read my posts.

I do read your posts. When someone refutes your arguments, points out the repeated use of three fallacies by name and description, and supplies support for their arguments, then they are indeed reading your posts - and "Please read my posts." looks like you simply don't have a logical response.

Nope, the popularity fallacy refers within any populace, not just the general populace.

Wrong. The consensus or majority view of experts is relevant information in a discussion, and mentioning it is not fallacious.

If an elite group of people are in a position to know of what they speak, their authority is relevant and should not automatically be discounted. E.g., Is is a legitimate appeal and no fallacy to argue that most physicians believe that a high fat diet is unhealthy, and therefore a high fat diet is unhealthy.
From V. B, here: http://philosophy.lander.edu/logic/popular.html

If the Exodus happened, you'll have to explain why the story describes the world of the 6th century BC. It lists them going through a bunch of cities that didn't exist until much later than the story is supposedly happening. It's like finding a story about Uncle Sam in the Year 1776, who, after crossing the Potomac, visited the Lincoln memorial, Arlington Cemetery (made in 1866), the Washington monument, and Seattle Washington. You would know that the story was made up no earlier than the late 1800s. The same is true for the Exodus story.http://www.bible.ca/archeology/bibl...kheleifeh-reappraisal-gary-pratico-1985ad.htm

Legendary retellings tend to do so. Fantastical Mediaeval histories of Julius Caesar spoke of places that had not yet existed. Balkan and Islamic retellings of Alexander the Great speak of Sofia or Baghdad, again which had not existed.
This is no impediment at all, in fact expected.

So then maybe we have a lot of scenarios we agree could be the root of the exodus story? For instance, I could imagine a group of 100 slaves escaping under cover of night from Egypt (with no miracles, discussions with Pharaoh, or such), and the story growing over time. It wouldn't contradict the evidence. Yet it's far from what a typical Exodus believer claims. So maybe we do agree?

In Christ-

Papias

Upvote 0

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
More then anything else on the forum people can not grasp the concept that the people in the Bible are real people. So here is a link that shows evidence that 50 people in the Bible were real people. People keep asking for evidence and this is the evidence they are asking for. I keep asking for evidence also and so far no one has come forth with any evidence to show that the people in the Bible are NOT real people. So the score right now is 50 - 0. Because the skeptics and the scoffers have ZERO evidence to substantiate their suppositions and their claims. Christians have 5,000 years of substantial and overwhelming evidence for what we believe to be true. Generation after generation have examined the Bible and the claims made in the Bible and they have found them to be accurate and true. Malachi 3:10 "Test me in this," says the LORD. The Bible is testable. Science requires that a hypothesis is testable. The Bible can easily withstand the rigors of Science.

http://www.biblicalarchaeology.org/...the-bible-confirmed-archaeologically/#note02r
Have they confirmed Jesus, yet?

Upvote 0