Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
More then anything else on the forum people can not grasp the concept that the people in the Bible are real people. So here is a link that shows evidence that 50 people in the Bible were real people. People keep asking for evidence and this is the evidence they are asking for. I keep asking for evidence also and so far no one has come forth with any evidence to show that the people in the Bible are NOT real people. So the score right now is 50 - 0. Because the skeptics and the scoffers have ZERO evidence to substantiate their suppositions and their claims. Christians have 5,000 years of substantial and overwhelming evidence for what we believe to be true. Generation after generation have examined the Bible and the claims made in the Bible and they have found them to be accurate and true. Malachi 3:10 "Test me in this," says the LORD. The Bible is testable. Science requires that a hypothesis is testable. The Bible can easily withstand the rigors of Science.

http://www.biblicalarchaeology.org/...the-bible-confirmed-archaeologically/#note02r

Last edited:
Reactions: lancey

VirOptimus

A nihilist who cares.
Aug 24, 2005
✟250,687.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
More then anything else on the forum people can not grasp the concept that the people in the Bible are real people. So here is a link that shows evidence that 50 people in the Bible were real people. People keep asking for evidence and this is the evidence they are asking for. I keep asking for evidence also and so far no one has come forth with any evidence to show that the people in the Bible were NOT real people. So the score right now is 50 - 0.

http://www.biblicalarchaeology.org/...the-bible-confirmed-archaeologically/#note02r

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/aug/27/top-10-fictitious-biographis-jonathan-gibbs-nabokov

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,149,907.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
We are talking about the Bible and that link has nothing to do with the Bible.
But it illustrates the fact that just because a book uses historical fugures does not make it truthful or accurate.

Upvote 0

Jimmy D

Dec 11, 2014
✟268,799.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
More then anything else on the forum people can not grasp the concept that the people in the Bible are real people. So here is a link that shows evidence that 50 people in the Bible were real people. People keep asking for evidence and this is the evidence they are asking for. I keep asking for evidence also and so far no one has come forth with any evidence to show that the people in the Bible are NOT real people. So the score right now is 50 - 0. Because the skeptics and the scoffers have ZERO evidence to substantiate their suppositions and their claims. Christians have 5,000 years of substantial and overwhelming evidence for what we believe to be true. Generation after generation have examined the Bible and the claims made in the Bible and they have found them to be accurate and true. Malachi 3:10 "Test me in this," says the LORD. The Bible is testable. Science requires that a hypothesis is testable. The Bible can easily withstand the rigors of Science.

That's an interesting link thanks Joshua. I, personally, am happy to accept that there is extra biblical evidence for many of the people mentioned in the OT.

I know I'm one of the people you're referring to, and I can understand your frustration, but let's face it, a lot of the more important and pivotal biblical figures events have zero extrabiblical evidence.

Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
More then anything else on the forum people can not grasp the concept that the people in the Bible are real people. So here is a link that shows evidence that 50 people in the Bible were real people. People keep asking for evidence and this is the evidence they are asking for.

No, that's not the evidence people are asking for.

In fact, I fully expect the bible to mention existing places, people and even events.
Identifying these places and people will not prove or support the supernatural claims in the book. It's the supernatural / extra-ordinary claims that people tend to ask evidence of.

This is a case of "The fact that New York actually exists, is not evidence that Spiderman lives there or is even real in the first place"

Because the skeptics and the scoffers have ZERO evidence to substantiate their suppositions and their claims

Shifting the burden of proof, is what this is.

Christians have 5,000 years of substantial and overwhelming evidence for what we believe to be true

No, you don't.

Generation after generation have examined the Bible and the claims made in the Bible and they have found them to be accurate and true

You mean, they believed them to be true.
People have been believing the claims of hinduism for far longer, by the way.

Longevity of beliefs do not add credibility to the claims being believed. Neither do numbers of followers. Nore does it shift the burden of proof to the side that doesn't believe the claims in question.

Malachi 3:10 "Test me in this," says the LORD. The Bible is testable. Science requires that a hypothesis is testable. The Bible can easily withstand the rigors of Science.

Really?

Ok.

Please explain how we can scientifically test any of the supernatural claims of the bible. You can choose which supernatural claim.

Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In fact, I fully expect the bible to mention existing places, people and even events. Identifying these places and people will not prove or support the supernatural claims in the book.
There are areas in the Bible that science can not confirm and that would be outside of the scope of a forum dealing with Science. The issue I have is with people that want to reject what Science is able to verify.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I know I'm one of the people you're referring to, and I can understand your frustration, but let's face it, a lot of the more important and pivotal biblical figures events have zero extrabiblical evidence.
I do not know of anything in the Bible that has zero evidence. God watches over His word so we know that the word of God is trustworthy and dependable. IF we keep our part of the Covenant then we can be sure that God will perform His part of the covenant. So if you want evidence then do your part and then look to see if God does not do His part.

I had a stent and that qualified me for therapy. They gave me 36 classes and it comes down to diet, exercise and stress control. IF you eat the right diet there is a very good chance that you can avoid drugs and surgery in your future. Good health is a lot of work and a result of making the right choices. What is a healthy diet? The Bible talks about what we are to eat. Science talks about what we are to eat. Evolutionists have a theory about what sort of food we may have evolved to eat. But no one really knows for sure what we should eat and what we should avoid. Although they do take there best guess at it and the put a daily guide on most of our food pkgs. They just revised the guide and I am sure before long they will revise the guide again as new research comes in. The point is science does not really contradict the Bible and the Bible does not contradict Science in the food we are to eat. Even if this is difficult to understand. A lot of the reason this is a BIG problem is that a LOT of people are lying to us and not telling us the truth about what is healthy and what we should or should not eat. Because they want to make money. Because you can be sure if they could make more money off of healthy food they that is what they would be selling and we would all be eating healthy food.

IF you want to ignore the Bible and just go by science then good luck with that. Because we need both and even then we do not know all we need to know to be as healthy as we want and need to be. My cholesterol by the way is low and the doctor wants me to bring my healthy cholesterol level up. Otherwise all my test results are fine.

ucm079007.gif

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

VirOptimus

A nihilist who cares.
Aug 24, 2005
✟250,687.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I do not know of anything in the Bible that has zero evidence. God watches over His word so we know that the word of God is trustworthy and dependable. IF we keep our part of the Covenant then we can be sure that God will perform His part of the covenant. So if you want evidence then do your part and then look to see if God does not do His part.

I had a stent and that qualified me for therapy. They gave me 36 classes and it comes down to diet, exercise and stress control. IF you eat the right diet there is a very good chance that you can avoid drugs and surgery in your future. Good health is a lot of work and a result of making the right choices. What is a healthy diet? The Bible talks about what we are to eat. Science talks about what we are to eat. Evolutionists have a theory about what sort of food we may have evolved to eat. But no one really knows for sure what we should eat and what we should avoid. Although they do take there best guess at it and the put a daily guide on most of our food pkgs. They just revised the guide and I am sure before long they will revise the guide again as new research comes in. The point is science does not really contradict the Bible and the Bible does not contradict Science in the food we are to eat. Even if this is difficult to understand. A lot of the reason this is a BIG problem is that a LOT of people are lying to us and not telling us the truth about what is healthy and what we should or should not eat. Because they want to make money. Because you can be sure if they could make more money off of healthy food they that is what they would be selling and we would all be eating healthy food.

IF you want to ignore the Bible and just go by science then good luck with that. Because we need both and even then we do not know all we need to know to be as healthy as we want and need to be. My cholesterol by the way is low and the doctor wants me to bring my healthy cholesterol level up. Otherwise all my test results are fine.

ucm079007.gif

Tl;dr.

You are rambling.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Most people accept that there are biblical stories based around real historical figures and events; it's ancient literary form. The question is, what is true, what is exaggeration, and what is pure invention?
Yes that is all a consideration. The approach has always been to compare the Bible with the books that other nations were writing at the time the Bible was written. For example they say that the Historians were rather rich people that lived a good life. Because the rich people paid them to make them look good in the history books. A friend of mine teaches American History and he says it is all revisionism. What they teach in our schools is pretty much a lie. Look at Lincoln for example. Everyone talks about how great of a man he was. Yet 620,000 died in the Civil War. For me if he was a great man no one would have needed to die. My friend believes that we would have seen an end to slavery without the war but it would have taken a lot longer. The point is that no history is accurate so it is understandable to want to question how accurate the Bible is as history. In fact that was how I was raised. My dad trusted the Bible but he did not trust anyone to interpret the Bible.

Upvote 0

VirOptimus

A nihilist who cares.
Aug 24, 2005
✟250,687.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Yes that is all a consideration. The approach has always been to compare the Bible with the books that other nations were writing at the time the Bible was written. For example they say that the Historians were rather rich people that lived a good life. Because the rich people paid them to make them look good in the history books. A friend of mine teaches American History and he says it is all revisionism. What they teach in our schools is pretty much a lie. Look at Lincoln for example. Everyone talks about how great of a man he was. Yet 620,000 died in the Civil War. For me if he was a great man no one would have needed to die. My friend believes that we would have seen an end to slavery without the war but it would have taken a lot longer. The point is that no history is accurate so it is understandable to want to question how accurate the Bible is as history. In fact that was how I was raised. My dad trusted the Bible but he did not trust anyone to interpret the Bible.

Who are "they"?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, sorry, its just you.
Yep, I am defunct, put me on ignore so you do not have to trouble yourself reading my posts and trying to make any sense out of what I am saying.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Who are "they"?
I am not sure who tests our students but the lesson plan is produced by the board of education. Also the PTA can get involved, esp in the choice of Text Books. The final decision on what is in the books is determined by the editors.

Upvote 0

VanillaSunflowers

Black Lives Don't Matter More Than Any Other Life
Jul 26, 2016
DE
✟18,570.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married

This would have been a great thread to put in the Christian forums boards so as not to have it attacked.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This would have been a great thread to put in the Christian forums boards so as not to have it attacked.
I would rather deal with apostate non believers in comparison to so called brethren that are apostate revisionists.

Upvote 0