Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
What a weak, cowardly approach.....!

"I'm not making a claim, I'm just suggesting a possibility.....so I don't have to provide any evidence..."

Grow a spine.......
I did provide evidence why it remains possible. Those that denied it ever happened however, have not nor addressed my reasoning.

Upvote 0

SteveB28

May 14, 2015
✟21,415.00
Faith
Atheist
I did provide evidence why it remains possible. Those that denied it ever happened however, have not nor addressed my reasoning.

Because, to quote, "that which can be claimed without evidence, can be denied without evidence".....or words very close to that effect.

There is no evidence to support the contention of a massive enslavement and subsequent 'exodus' of Jews from Egypt. Even those for whom it is a vested interest have given up looking.

And please.......'possible'..? Anything is possible, provided it doesn't contravene basic logic.

What you have to show is that it was probable........and you can't.

Reactions: tyke
Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I did provide evidence why it remains possible.
They have rose colored sun glasses that filters out any evidence that conflicts with their pre supposed suppositions.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
May I ask how you know that "God watches over His word"?
I am glad you asked so now I can tell you the whole story. Jeremiah tells us in 1:12 that: "The LORD said to me, "You have seen correctly, for I am watching to see that my word is fulfilled." Also Isaiah tells us in 55:10&11 "For as the rain and the snow come down from heaven, And do not return there without watering the earth And making it bear and sprout, And furnishing seed to the sower and bread to the eater; So will My word be which goes forth from My mouth; It will not return to Me empty, Without accomplishing what I desire,And without succeeding in the matter for which I sent it. " The God who created the Universe watches over His word to do what He says He will do and to accomplish what He tells us He is going to accomplish. We have a covenant relationship with God. In some passages this is like a marriage. If we do our part of the covenant then we can be sure that God will do his part.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Egyptian records will not report slaves leaving
Let me give you a clue. IF you want to know the history of the Hebrew people (Judea) then talk to them, not their enemy. Because chances are if you talk to the their enemy then you are going to hear lies. To be sure they are brothers. After all BOTH Israel and Egypt call upon Abraham as their Patriarch. Only in the case of Joseph his brothers sold him into bondange in Egypt and that is how he got there in the first place.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
There are areas in the Bible that science can not confirm and that would be outside of the scope of a forum dealing with Science. The issue I have is with people that want to reject what Science is able to verify.

I don't think a single atheist here is going to deny that the bible mentions existing people, places and even events.

So I can only wonder what you are talking about.......

Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Because, to quote, "that which can be claimed without evidence, can be denied without evidence".....or words very close to that effect.

There is no evidence to support the contention of a massive enslavement and subsequent 'exodus' of Jews from Egypt. Even those for whom it is a vested interest have given up looking.

And please.......'possible'..? Anything is possible, provided it doesn't contravene basic logic.

What you have to show is that it was probable........and you can't.
I can and did. But let me summarise as you seem to be one of those that don't read more posts than the one you reply to or follow arguments from one to the next:

1: There is an ancient tradition of an Israelite exodus.
2: YHWH is first mentioned amongst the Shasu of YHW in the Sinai, before reappearing as the national God of Israel, so his worship had to have moved frim the Sinai to Canaan at some point.
3: Egyptian and near Eastern timelines have not been definitively established and often change - the Fall of Nineveh has been redated 5 times for instance in a 150 years.
4: Egyptian records aren't based on day to day papyrus mostly, but on monuments - which by nature would not describe negative events. The history therefore has large lacunae.
5: Movements of peoples between Egypt (especcially the delta) and Canaan was common - for instance the Hyksos or later Jewish settlement at Elephantine or the forward settlements established by Thutmose I or Ramesses III.
6: Semitic populations are present in Egypt in middle and new Kingdom times as can be attested through syncretic worship of Set/Baal and adoption of West Semitic gods like Resheph.
7: There is cultural affinity between Canaan IIB culture and the Hyksos.
8: Israelite religion shows possible Egyptian influence such as Psalm 104, the name Moses, golden calf worship etc.
9: History and Archaeology has been proven wrong in the past when they stated something definitely did not occur such as the Hittites, Trojan War, Teutoburger Wald battle, Belshazzer etc. by later evidence that emerged.
10: Manetho's 30 dynasty scheme is in the process of revision with dynasties being run concurrently and reassessments of reign times being made.
11: The exodus need not follow the exact route nor consist of the same numbers as the Bible states as all historical texts of the period is prone to exaggeration.

I could continue, but I think you get the point and I think it likely futile as it seems people here aren't interested in historical dialogue or criticism, but fighting some peripheral societal battle irrespective of the history involved.
Sufficed to say, while I cannot prove an event as being the exodus nor fit the narrative in a specific place, that something similar occured is not improbable.

Upvote 0

SteveB28

May 14, 2015
✟21,415.00
Faith
Atheist
Let me give you a clue. IF you want to know the history of the Hebrew people (Judea) then talk to them, not their enemy. Because chances are if you talk to the their enemy then you are going to hear lies. To be sure they are brothers. After all BOTH Israel and Egypt call upon Abraham as their Patriarch. Only in the case of Joseph his brothers sold him into bondange in Egypt and that is how he got there in the first place.

And the Jews themselves state that there is no evidence.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Possibly. Present your evidence.
I already did that many times and you ignore it. So why should I waste my time, effort and energy giving you more evidence that you will ignore. It looks like I am wasting my time so why should I bother with it?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SteveB28

May 14, 2015
✟21,415.00
Faith
Atheist
I can and did. But let me summarise as you seem to be one of those that don't read more posts than the one you reply to or follow arguments from one to the next:

1: There is an ancient tradition of an Israelite exodus.

Traditions frequently reflect myths, not history.

2: YHWH is first mentioned amongst the Shasu of YHW in the Sinai, before reappearing as the national God of Israel, so his worship had to have moved frim the Sinai to Canaan at some point.

If that is accurate, it is evidence of a shared god, not an enslavement nor exodus.

3: Egyptian and near Eastern timelines have not been definitively established and often change - the Fall of Nineveh has been redated 5 times for instance in a 150 years.

The 'when' is irrelevant when the 'what' is absent.

4: Egyptian records aren't based on day to day papyrus mostly, but on monuments - which by nature would not describe negative events. The history therefore has large lacunae.

And, amazingly, those gaps just happened to occur around one of the most significant purported events in Egyptian history......

5: Movements of peoples between Egypt (especcially the delta) and Canaan was common - for instance the Hyksos or later Jewish settlement at Elephantine or the forward settlements established by Thutmose I or Ramesses III.

If that is correct, it is not evidence of an enslavement nor exodus.

6: Semitic populations are present in Egypt in middle and new Kingdom times as can be attested through syncretic worship of Set/Baal and adoption of West Semitic gods like Resheph.

See earlier response about shared gods.

7: There is cultural affinity between Canaan IIB culture and the Hyksos.

If that is correct, it is not evidence of.......etc.

8: Israelite religion shows possible Egyptian influence such as Psalm 104, the name Moses, golden calf worship etc.

You are suggesting the Jewish slaves adopted the religion of their captors....?

9: History and Archaeology has been proven wrong in the past when they stated something definitely did not occur such as the Hittites, Trojan War, Teutoburger Wald battle, Belshazzer etc. by later evidence that emerged.

Now you're grasping.......past errors are evidence of future ones.....??

10: Manetho's 30 dynasty scheme is in the process of revision with dynasties being run concurrently and reassessments of reign times being made.

The 'when' deflection again....?

11: The exodus need not follow the exact route nor consist of the same numbers as the Bible states as all historical texts of the period is prone to exaggeration.

Yes, they could have travelled via Morocco and sailed the Straits of Gibraltar....!

Good grief, how desperate........l

I could continue, but I think you get the point and I think it likely futile as it seems people here aren't interested in historical dialogue or criticism, but fighting some peripheral societal battle irrespective of the history involved.
Sufficed to say, while I cannot prove an event as being the exodus nor fit the narrative in a specific place, that something similar occured is not improbable.

You want a real battle....? Take your........arguments........to the Jews.

Upvote 0

SteveB28

May 14, 2015
✟21,415.00
Faith
Atheist
I already did that many times and you ignore it. So why should I waste my time, effort and energy giving you more evidence that you will ignore. It looks like I am wasting my time so why should I bother with it?

I never ignore. Present your archeological evidence for Yahweh, Adam, Moses, Jonah......and Jesus.

Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Traditions frequently reflect myths, not history.

If that is accurate, it is evidence of a shared god, not an enslavement nor exodus.

The 'when' is irrelevant when the 'what' is absent.

And, amazingly, those gaps just happened to occur around one of the most significant purported events in Egyptian history......

If that is correct, it is not evidence of an enslavement nor exodus.

See earlier response about shared gods.

If that is correct, it is not evidence of.......etc.

You are suggesting the Jewish slaves adopted the religion of their captors....?

Now you're grasping.......past errors are evidence of future ones.....??

The 'when' deflection again....?

Yes, they could have travelled via Morocco and sailed the Straits of Gibraltar....!

Good grief, how desperate........l

You want a real battle....? Take your........arguments........to the Jews.
You asked about probability. I gave good reasons why it can be considered thus, I do not need to prove it definitively as I don't actually think that is possible with our current evidence.
Your objections are also just based on your interpretation, not disproving anything I said.
It is clear to me that you have very little knowledge of the questions at issue here as you did not attempt to address a single point head on based on fact, but gave only vague responses.

Hence I shall stop wasting my time as I see no reason to respond to someone where it is clearly over his head and not very familiar with the material at hand.

Upvote 0

SteveB28

May 14, 2015
✟21,415.00
Faith
Atheist
You asked about probability. I gave good reasons why it can be considered thus, I do not need to prove it definitively as I don't actually think that is possible with our current evidence.
Your objections are also just based on your interpretation, not disproving anything I said.
It is clear to me that you have very little knowledge of the questions at issue here as you did not attempt to address a single point head on based on fact, but gave only vague responses.

Hence I shall stop wasting my time as I see no reason to respond to someone where it is clearly over his head and not very familiar with the material at hand.

It is not a matter of familiarity with material. It is a matter of whether or not that material supports your case.

Yours doesn't.

And again, if your material is so convincing, take it to the Jews..........I'm sure they'd be delighted....!

Upvote 0