✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,150540,00.html

I have seen previews, but never watched a show.
Do they portray Muslims badly?
Or do they portray terorists that claim to be Muslim?

Would this be comparable to Christians crying because they are portrayed badly in the crusades?

This is about the small screen but can easily become a debate. Feel free to move.

Nathan8906

YEC For Me!
Jan 3, 2004
Southern California (OC)
✟15,533.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
They portray Muslims as terrorists. So yes, they portray Muslims badly.
The problem is, all terrorists ARE Muslims.
I don't see a problem with Fox trying to present exciting plots. No offense to CAIR and other organizations, but people don't want to watch TV about a normal Muslim family. That's not interesting. :)

And no, Islam is not a "religion of peace."

Upvote 0

Sitswithamouse

I look Time Lord
Mar 6, 2005
Devon, UK
✟13,926.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Greens
Nathan8906 said:
I don't see a problem with Fox trying to present exciting plots. No offense to CAIR and other organizations, but people don't want to watch TV about a normal Muslim family. That's not interesting. :)

Sorry, but all terrorists are not Muslims.
What about the I.R.A??? Are they not terrorists?

I would like to see more proggrammes on normal PEACE loving Muslims than listen to the bad and sometimes properganderised version on scaremongering networks.
Exciting plots!!!!! Maybe we should all go back to the age of the Hitler days and spread lies and misinformation that one race , as opposed to it's minority is a BAAAADDDDD thing and lock them all up...oh wait..Gautenamo Bay. HMmmmmm!!!

Not all Muslims are bad and only the few with fundementalist issues go out and do things in the hope of attaining immortality for their god, most muslims do not subscribe to that way of thinking.

If you want entertainment, fine...but look at the bigger picture and not label ALL muslims the same.
:sigh:

EDITED TO ADD>>>> This is not a rant at anybody who is discussing this subject, it is a a genuine concern that saddens me over the way some media coverage, puts all muslims into one basket and says they are the same...they are not.:cry:

Upvote 0

zoziw

a mari usque ad mare
Jun 28, 2003
✟11,169.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The problem is that muslims have failed to develop an effective pressure group to "sensitize" people to their situation.

Once they accomplish this their opponents will be to afraid to criticize them and normal people will be falling over themselves to have a trendy muslim friend.

At that point, TV shows like 24 will fall back on the classic "neo-nazi" bad guy that we all feel comfortable hating. Failing that there are always evangelicals to pick on.

Upvote 0

Sitswithamouse

I look Time Lord
Mar 6, 2005
Devon, UK
✟13,926.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Greens
zoziw said:
Failing that there are always evangelicals to pick on.

I'm not sure whether too go:eek:
Or
^_^ .

Thank you
You cheered me up. (Though I shouldn't really laugh:sorry: )
And I do agree with your points also.

:wave:

Upvote 0

Redguard

Make It So, Number One!
Oct 20, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
✟36,460.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Liberals
This season's 24 is the first that I'm watching, and the terrorists are Middle Eastern. It doesn't make specific mention of the fact that they're "muslim", but the truth is that most Middle Eastern peoples are Muslim by default.

I love 24, I find the show exciting... But I think that I'm tiring of seeing Middle Eastern peoples being portrayed as nothing but terrorists.

Upvote 0

Motor City Christian

Senior Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
Detroit area
✟22,530.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yesterday, there were several Muslims fighting WITH Jack Bauer, NOT against him. There was also a disclaimer before one of the episodes expressing that we should not hate Muslims for their beliefs and that this story is fictional(it is after all). So, don't go blasting the show before you've seen all the facts.

Upvote 0
M

mightymoespecshoward05

The problem is, all terrorists ARE Muslims

that is so not true. i have friends that are muslim, and they love the united states. if you were to watch last mondays hour, jack and paul got helped by two muslims, who helped jack and paul escape from the agents who were trying to kill them. Keither Sutherland even came out and said that they at 24 were not protraying muslims as terriorists. there are certian groups of muslims that are terriosts, but to say that all muslims are terriosts, that could be taken as racism.

Upvote 0
M

mightymoespecshoward05

Motor City Christian said:
Yesterday, there were several Muslims fighting WITH Jack Bauer, NOT against him. There was also a disclaimer before one of the episodes expressing that we should not hate Muslims for their beliefs and that this story is fictional(it is after all). So, don't go blasting the show before you've seen all the facts.

thank you motor city. you said exactly what i was thinking

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Redguard

Make It So, Number One!
Oct 20, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
✟36,460.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Liberals
Motor City Christian said:
Yeah, I noticed that the store owners looked Middle Eastern, but I wasn't sure.

Upvote 0

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I thought when I started this post that the Terrorists just happened to
Muslim.
Not all terrorists are muslim. BUt the most active today is Islamic terrorists.

Also the Islamic terrorist is the ones that most likely to bring the world into the fight.

IRA= Ireland, Red Army Faction=Germany, and all the others tend to stay in their country.

Who should a anti-Terrorist squad go after?
Islamic Terrorists.
Do they need to show the average Muslim? NO.
They could have more Muslim anti-terrorists personal helping in the show.
But that is up to the writers.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,559.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Melancholy said:
Not all Muslims are bad and only the few with fundementalist issues go out and do things in the hope of attaining immortality for their god, most muslims do not subscribe to that way of thinking.
Most Muslims within the United States, I agree with you. Heck, I grew up with a couple and they'd be the last people I would suspect as terrorists. After all, they are Muslim Americans. They are still Americans, they love this country.

In the Middle East, I don't know that only a minority of Muslims are anti-American. Surely, nowhere near all of them are terrorists, but how many sympathize with the terrorists? Plenty.

Now, they could feature a character on the show who is Muslim and fiercely pro-American, as a federal agent. And it could deal with his struggles of faith colliding with the terrorist's faith. If it is done well, that could work. But is it needed to make a good TV show, especially when much of the audience already knows that not all Muslims stateside are against us?

Upvote 0

Smidlee

Veteran
May 21, 2004
NC, USA
✟21,162.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
For a show like 24 use Muslims as terrorist is no different than all those shows and movies where the Russians was the bad guys back during the cold war or using Germans as an enemy in a WW2 movie. In fact In Rambo III , The Muslims were the good guys and the enemy were Russians. If Hollywood is going to have terrorist in a movie or show there no doubt they will use someone who looks Arabian. Having terrorist look Chinese is stupid while Chinese looking Ninjas is smart. "Racism" should only be cried when there is no doubt a real racist act. The is just the "Boy who cried wolf" again.

Reactions: Sketcher
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,559.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Smidlee said:
For a show like 24 use Muslims as terrorist is no different than all those shows and movies where the Russians was the bad guys back during the cold war or using Germans as an enemy in a WW2 movie. In fact In Rambo III , The Muslims were the good guys and the enemy were Russians. If Hollywood is going to have terrorist in a movie or show there no doubt they will use someone who looks Arabian. Having terrorist look Chinese is stupid while Chinese looking Ninjas is smart. "Racism" should only be cried when there is no doubt a real racist act. The is just the "Boy who cried wolf" again.
Exactly.

Upvote 0

glo

Jan 5, 2004
✟9,345.00
Faith
Protestant

"All terrorists are muslims" is laughable. Ever heard of the IRA? the KKK?

mightymoespecshoward05 said:
The problem is, all terrorists ARE Muslims

that is so not true. i have friends that are muslim, and they love the united states. if you were to watch last mondays hour, jack and paul got helped by two muslims, who helped jack and paul escape from the agents who were trying to kill them. Keither Sutherland even came out and said that they at 24 were not protraying muslims as terriorists. there are certian groups of muslims that are terriosts, but to say that all muslims are terriosts, that could be taken as racism.

okay, what the person said was that "all terrorists ARE muslims" not "all muslims ARE terrorists", so i don't see what you're doing with talking about your muslim friend that way.

Upvote 0

PaladinValer

Traditional Orthodox Anglican
Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Nathan8906 said:

I don't know what high school you go to, but they've failed you if you really think what you've said is true.

There are Christian terrorists right here, in the US, who go around blowing up abortion clinics and murdering non-heterosexuals. Regardless of your doctrinal position on those issues, they are wrong and they are terroritsts. There are also the KKK and other forms of Reconstructionists who go around terrorizing people.

Christian terrorists also exist in Northern Ireland.

Many Palestinian terrorists (not all Palestinians are terrorists) are not Muslims at all; some are Christians, as roughly 10% of the Palestinian population are Christians. Bet you didn't see that one coming.

There are Jewish terrorists in Israel.

There are Hindu terrorists in India and Sri Lanka. Buddhist terrorists exist in Sri Lanka too.

You think all terrorists are of just one religion?! You are grossly mistaken.

As this is a double negative which I'm not entirely sure you meant, I'm going to ask you to clarify.

Upvote 0