2 more school (college) shootings right now. Texas and Arizona.

Erose

Jul 2, 2010
✟67,781.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why would we need to have guns in our schools, beyond the ocasional police officer that we have now? Is that what our peer countries with exceptionally lower murder rates are doing?
When there is an obvious trend of a targeted set of victims it makes sense to beef up security for those potential victims until after they cease to be a target. We have as a country been beefing up security at potential terrorist targets, why not colleges?

These mass murderers are by nature cowards. If they feel that having a mass shooting at a college is not like shooting fish in a barrel they will stop targeting colleges.

Upvote 0

Erose

Jul 2, 2010
✟67,781.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But don't politicise the tragedy. That makes you the bad guy.
There is nothing to politicize here. Taking guns away from law abiding citizens is not a solution. Figuring out a way to keep weapons out of the hands of these mentally ill folks would be a solution, and a non-political one to boot.

Reactions: benedictaoo
Upvote 0

heatedmonk

Salvations Math: 3 Nails + 1 Cross= 4 Given
Sep 20, 2015
✟2,498.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
There is nothing to politicize here. Taking guns away from law abiding citizens is not a solution. Figuring out a way to keep weapons out of the hands of these mentally ill folks would be a solution, and a non-political one to boot.
And yet the Oregon shooter used legally acquired firearms. No history of mental illness recorded else he'd have never been able to do that.
And your post #23, well said. I agree.

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

It should, but one party resists background checks and mental assesments on all gun transfers like its the plague.

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
When there is an obvious trend of a targeted set of victims it makes sense to beef up security for those potential victims until after they cease to be a target. We have as a country been beefing up security at potential terrorist targets, why not colleges?

These mass murderers are by nature cowards. If they feel that having a mass shooting at a college is not like shooting fish in a barrel they will stop targeting colleges.

That doesn't answer the root "why" that I was getting at. Why doesn't this happen as often per capita in Belgium? In Japan?

Upvote 0

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It does seem strange that these things happen with such frequency now. Is the media producing copycats?

I'm starting to think this nation is built on thousands of ancient Indian burial grounds.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Erose

Jul 2, 2010
✟67,781.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And yet the Oregon shooter used legally acquired firearms. No history of mental illness recorded else he'd have never been able to do that.
And your post #23, well said. I agree.
I'm not so sure. There have been a couple with documented history, such as the Lafayette theater shooter, who the FBI did not catch.

Upvote 0

Erose

Jul 2, 2010
✟67,781.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It should, but one party resists background checks and mental assesments on all gun transfers like its the plague.
The Democrats?

There is already a background check system, that seems to not work very well. Perhaps the system that is already in place needs to be evaluated and improved upon. I don't think the Democrats would have an issue with that.

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The Democrats?

There is already a background check system, that seems to not work very well. Perhaps the system that is already in place needs to be evaluated and improved upon. I don't think the Democrats would have an issue with that.

Nope:(
Sadly, it is the Republicans that oppose expanding the requirement for background checks to all firearm transfers.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Erose

Jul 2, 2010
✟67,781.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That doesn't answer the root "why" that I was getting at. Why doesn't this happen as often per capita in Belgium? In Japan?
I think the obvious answer is that they have a better mental health care system. It is either that or that these countries are missing certain triggers, so that they don't create as many potential mass murderer types.

Upvote 0

Erose

Jul 2, 2010
✟67,781.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Nope:(
Sadly, it is the Republicans that oppose expanding the requirement for background checks to all firearm transfers.
Because they know what is obvious. If we cannot effectively monitor background checks for new firearm sales, how on earth do you think we are going to do when it comes to after sale transfers? Be throwing money at a system that won't work.

Upvote 0

Erose

Jul 2, 2010
✟67,781.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm starting to think this nation is built on thousands of ancient Indian burial grounds.
I think that whatever environmental triggers that create potential mass murderers has increased. I'm assuming that there has been a study to determine what these could be; but then again most MMs are murder/suicides. So maybe they have been unable to do so.

Our society is getting much better at producing men and women who have mental disorders. If the government is going to throw money at this problem, I think they need to finance studies to figure out what makes a mass murderer, and then perhaps we can come up with a solution.

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Because they know what is obvious. If we cannot effectively monitor background checks for new firearm sales, how on earth do you think we are going to do when it comes to after sale transfers? Be throwing money at a system that won't work.

We do a pretty good job of managing vehicle ownership through multiple sales and registrations, ditto real estate. With a relatively simple, largely automated system, we could track all firearms. It's just a big, electronic card catalogue.

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I think that whatever environmental triggers that create potential mass murderers has increased. I'm assuming that there has been a study to determine what these could be; but then again most MMs are murder/suicides. So maybe they have been unable to do so.

Our society is getting much better at producing men and women who have mental disorders. If the government is going to throw money at this problem, I think they need to finance studies to figure out what makes a mass murderer, and then perhaps we can come up with a solution.

Can we do both, study murderers and what makes them tick and strengthen our gun laws in the areas of background checks and registration, concurrently?

Last edited:
Upvote 0