✟7,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hello,
I am returning to youth ministry after a time if doing ministry outside the four walls of the church. The position I am in is the former youth pastor will be remaining in the church. She is not supportive of me taking this role. What are some clear boundaries that I need to set with her and with leadership? Any advice would be much appreciated.

devin553344

I believe in the Resurrection
Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hello,
I am returning to youth ministry after a time if doing ministry outside the four walls of the church. The position I am in is the former youth pastor will be remaining in the church. She is not supportive of me taking this role. What are some clear boundaries that I need to set with her and with leadership? Any advice would be much appreciated.

I don't understand. You are going to defy your church leaders and minister to youth on behalf of your church?

Upvote 0

New Birth

Jan 18, 2019
Vicksburg
✟22,877.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Married
Hello,
I would say If the Pastor of the Church put you into position and you agree to it thats great. I would not think you would be the one who sets the boundaries with her and leadership. I think if she makes a fuss and begins to cause division or you see potential tension arising then go to the leadership of the church or the Pastor, and let them set boundaries. To keep peace you should be the least confrontational party of all parties. A couple of things to remember one is the Pastor has the veto authority, the other is no position outside of the call of God is worth division in a church. Let Pastor make the decision and let god take care of the rest.
The most important thing is YOU MUST KEEP YOUR ATTITUDE AND SPIRIT RIGHT.

• Agree
Reactions: Angelina2
Upvote 0

AceWoodson

Feb 6, 2019
Scottsburg IN
✟7,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't understand. You are going to defy your church leaders and minister to youth on behalf of your church?
Not going to defy church leadership at alll. All leadership is supportive except the outgoing youth pastor. I will need to set some boundaries with her since she is remaining in the church. Just looking for advice on how to set those boundaries.

• Useful
Reactions: devin553344
Upvote 0

devin553344

I believe in the Resurrection
Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Not going to defy church leadership at alll. All leadership is supportive except the outgoing youth pastor. I will need to set some boundaries with her since she is remaining in the church. Just looking for advice on how to set those boundaries.

Thanks, that makes more sense to me. Do you feel for some reason that you will need boundaries? Has there been some problem in the past with her?

Upvote 0

AceWoodson

Feb 6, 2019
Scottsburg IN
✟7,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thanks, that makes more sense to me. Do you feel for some reason that you will need boundaries? Has there been some problem in the past with her?
Yes. She has done a great deal to undermine the process. She makes it clear that I am not her choice. She has expressed that she would like to be one of the youth volunteers but I have already stated that she will not be allowed to do so. This may be a situation I need to work out with the pastor and the other staff.

Upvote 0

Tsquared

Site Supporter
Jun 16, 2017
Canada
✟86,933.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Hello,

I understand where you are coming from here. It is difficult to take a position in a department when that individual isn't letting go gracefully. I can understand not having that person involved initially, especially during the transition, especially if they are blatantly not supportive of you being in that position. Also, perhaps a good time for the pastor to meet with the former youth pastor and talk about this transition and how it should happen smoothly.

As others have said already, it is extremely important to keep your own spirit and attitude right in a situation like this. It can be very easy for anyone to become bitter in circumstances like this. I am also a Youth pastor, and I have been in put into positions after the previous youth leader left on bad terms. Nevertheless, the young people needed a leader and the pastor asked me to fill the position.

One minister once told me it is important for the Pastor to introduce you to the position and endorse you before the church publicly (i.e., directly from the pulpit), and I agree with this. That way the church hears this endorsement directly from the pastor and they know that the leadership is behind you as a minister/Youth Pastor. This can help to shut down any negative talk/rumours.

Regarding boundaries, I would say that you just have to take responsibility for your position and not let others take over. This can be done in a polite and respectful way. My wife and I formed a "Youth Committee", comprised of older youth/young adults, to help us with ideas and decision making in the youth group, and it has been a wonderful experience for use. Many hands make light work.

Praying for you as you take on this new role!

EDIT: Just realizing this post was from February! Hoping that things are going smoothly now, and that my post can still be of some help. Blessings!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums