Youth Group Praise Team

cornflakes

Oct 21, 2004
✟7,668.00
Faith
Christian
Hi, I'm a 3rd year youth pastor and our praise team is made up of youths from our youth group (ages 13-18).

The issue that i've been having lately is the Praise Team can sort of become an "exclusive" group or clan or cluster, and the team members will start to act like it's "there" team and even I, the youth pastor, have to consult with them if i want something done in services or in practices.

I'm 27 years old. Exactly how much power and authority or flexibility or freedom should I give to the Praise Team? I've been feeling like they are becoming a rivalry to me rather than working with me or even working under my leadership and authority.

For example, if I want the Praise Team to play certain songs for worship, but all of them don't want to play those songs, who should get the final call? Should I just let the Praise Team play the songs they want to play or can I have more control in telling them which songs they should play?

Now this is a youth ministry, so i know it might be different with an adult ministry or congregation (the pastor and the praise team) but in youth ministry, I'm thinking since they are also young (13-18) they probably are not able to make decisions like an adult or mature christian so the youth pastor's role in the youth ministry praise team should actually be more in control and more directive as opposed to be two equal powers working in collaboration.

What do you think? Any tips or advice? HOw does your pastoral relationship and the praise team get along? Who has the final say? Who runs the show so to speak?

sunshinecld

Sep 25, 2006
✟7,629.00
Faith
Christian
You are the ultimate authority. Does that mean the students don't get to make any decisions? No! You have to take into consideration any ideas that they have and work with them, but ultimately you give the final say so! If your role and the students role get mixed up your in for a lot of trouble. The students need to know there is someone they have to answer to. Now with the praise team talk to them, find out why they are wanting to play different songs, if they have good reasons, such as, they really feel the youth worship more with certain songs than work with them on that. Make them have some decision making ability, but make sure they know you ultimately make the decisions-the final say so. Hope that helps.

Upvote 0

lilangelmelanie

Aug 23, 2006
alabama
Visit site
✟7,867.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I agree with the PP, but also- you need to sit them down and let them know that while you respect them, you are still in control of the youth group including them. If they fail to get the hint- do away with the praise band for a few weeks until they do.

Upvote 0

rustypjr

Sep 27, 2006
Mississippi
✟15,557.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I can some what relate I am only 23 and as a youth minister I was a youth just a few years ago. You have to sit them down and let them know that with the position comes respect. You also have to take their ideas into consideration and do what will glorify God the most. If you give in this area they will think you will give in other areas. Also I would suggest prayer on both parts.

Since you are a youth pastor maybe you can give me some insight also. We are doing study on prayer any ideas to get the group more dedicated to prayer.

Upvote 0

cornflakes

Oct 21, 2004
✟7,668.00
Faith
Christian
that's awesome, John Bunyan once said: "You can do more than pray after you've prayed, but you cannot do more than pray until you have prayed."

I find praying in small groups or in partners (accountability partners) is helpful. Sometimes for new or young christians, prayer is difficult to do alone.

Some group and personal sharing really seems to help set the stage for the desire to take what we've shared and bring it to God in prayer.

When man works, man works, but when man prays, God works.

Upvote 0

lilangelmelanie

Aug 23, 2006
alabama
Visit site
✟7,867.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I agree with the PP on prayer- also show them in the word where prayer is biblical - many many ways to show that :) but if you dont show them, some of them who dont know the word will question purely bc they dont know.

also, maybe set out small groups divided into girls and guys etc to pray w/ each other

Upvote 0

Paladin21

Holy Knight of God
Nov 16, 2004
Iowa
✟8,109.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have played on both sides of this topic. I have been in the youth praise team for close to 5 years. Most times I have not been a student but just a leader playing the drums since no one else could.

I can tell you that if the attitude is wrong up there the praise will not be the same. You need to watch who you put up there or else it will be the "Pride team" as I have called it before.

Your students have to be in the mindset of
Psalm 115

1 Not to us, O LORD, not to us
but to your name be the glory,
because of your love and faithfulness.

IF they are not God will not be glorfied.

If it is just they do not like the song, explain to them why you want them to play it. Sometimes I have asked our team to play a certain song so it will go along with my sermon. You always make the final call, pray and then sit down and talk to them about it.

One thing I will tell you is no worship is better then pridefull worship. Sometimes we (the leaders) thought about not having worship and playing Cd's since some people thought it was about them.

Upvote 0

shaslove

On LOA until June 2nd
Site Supporter
Jan 6, 2006
Portland, OR
✟30,453.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
it has to be your final decision. the kids in this team need to know to be open to others joining, and that their leadership is not the final say...for example, checking over their song list to make sure it is appropriate, etc. they need guidence and wisdom from you.

Upvote 0

LoveMyAlvarez

Oct 19, 2006
✟15,113.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Hi, I'm 25 and so is the youth pastor. My husband who is also on the youth praise band/team is 28. So we are right at the same age of the youth pastor or older. But he has the final say on worship. I have only been leading worship for a couple years if that. But the youth pastor and I have worked side by side in it from the start. I'll usually ask him what he has in mind for that service. I need to know if he is doing something really laid back (sometimes we do candle lit prayer and intercession services with a scripture reading table and a prayer journaling table and stuff like that) so if he is planning something like that, I need to know that a loud high spirited worship set will most likely contradict the mood he needs set for what God's given him and he's prepared for. Even when this happens he may suggest a couple songs but will tell me, this is where I would like to go, see what you can get together. I'll pray and prepare and once I feel I have what God wants done that particular service I give YP a call and let him know. Most of the time thats how it goes regardless of the service... I always get with him and let him know my worship set. Sometimes on service day at our run through he has suggestions that he wants done and I do my best to get ready and prepare. Bottom line is, he's the man of God that God is giving the word to for that service ya know.... So if he feels that something should be done, I do it if it's within my capabilities. Sometimes I'll feel strongly about a song and explain to him that I feel led to do that particular one and once we talk and sometimes we've just stopped and prayed... It always works out. There is an order to leadership for a reason! My Youth Pastor is over me And as worship leader I am over the worship team. There have been times I have sat the entire youth band down right before service because I felt led that they needed to be in the altar praying during that service... Does your Youth Band/worship team have a specific leader in charge as a whole? Someone that you could maybe appoint that you know you could work well with in the decisions on praise music? Tell that person what you need from the team for worship, and help guide them and train them to be a leader of the worship team. That's what our YP has and is doing with me. He's not a worship leader, but he is a leader ya know... so he has a lot of advice to give and I have a lot of advice I need to recieve!!! Hope that helps a little... I tend to ramble...sorry :) God Bless!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JayCdn

May 14, 2006
CowTown
Visit site
✟7,978.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Greens
I have been in my youth group praise team for almost ten years on and off. I do not advocate people outside of youth being in the team as it needs to be their band in order for them to learn what it is to lead worship, but it is good to have one person up there who knows something about music and can get things organized if things fall into chaos.

If the attitude of your students is wrong then often no music is better than false praise/performance. If they put together meaningful, God-filled worship services then good for them, but you still have the final call. Freedom for them is great, especially if they are growing and doing God's work, but if you need them to do something so that the transition to your message comes through smoother or for any reason it should be done. If you need something done for a reason though, give them the reason. Youth, like anyone else, have a hard time following orders with no apparent reason for them.

It is also a good idea to appoint a leader if there ins't one currently. Someone whose heart is in the right place and who can be responsible both directly to you and to the band.

Upvote 0

OnceDust

Let go and let God
Sep 6, 2003
Macedonia
Visit site
✟10,534.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
I have been in all types of settings. Ultimately, the most successful programs include adult leaders in all aspects of the ministry. While a youth pastor, I organized kids who liked to play, but as a worship leader myself, I was also more or less in charge of thier work. We'd work together, I'd give lessons and tips, teach improvization tecniques, and how to run sound.

In the end, though, they had to understand that this was about worship and not about performing. In addition to playing and rerearsal, we had about 20 minutes before each to pray and talk. We always shared concerns and priases. I think it's important to be more than a team, also accountability partners.

I think when you throw accountability, adult leadership, and angle the work as praise, not performing, you get the better angle of the worship experiece and the kids need to understand that you are there to support and to lead overall.

Take control. They may have a lot of talent, but they need to be using it for the right reason and with the right attitude and mind-frame. If you are not a musician but have an adult leader who is, maybe you can get them to work with the youth group.

I helped a larger youth group with its ministry by being a sound guy. The guy leading worship was also the twin brother of the youth pastor. He was young but descipled some kids to playing. I was also an experienced musician, so I offered help where I could as well. We worked well with the kids. Together, we made a good team. Adult leadership is a necessity when kids are learning how to be leaders in worship or any other types of ministry.

I hope all works out with you and yours.

Blessings

Upvote 0