Your Thoughts On Kazaa

Athanasian Creed

Sola Scriptura, Sola Fide, Solus Christus !!!
Aug 3, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
✟18,484.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
CA-Conservatives
lilangelheart said:
LOL! Also I have a biblical example of "file sharing" That Jesus Himself did when he fed the whole multitude off of the few fish and couple of loaves of bread the little boy had. LOL!:p The boy gave it to Jesus and Jesus "shared" it amongst the whole crowd. The croud didn't pay for it and niether did Jesus.
Why would Jesus need to pay for it since He is God and ALL things belong to Him ??

But to humour you a bit, the boy shared what was GIVEN to him presumably by his parents (he didn't have to buy it) It was his to eat himself if he chooses but instead he chose to share it with others. File "sharing" is not the same - the program is not GIVEN by the creators, it is SOLD. The program becomes the person's once he buys it but the EULA stipulates that it is SOLELY to be used on one computer. To "share" it with others is in direct contravention of the licensing agreement one enters into when buying/installing the software on one's computer. ;)

Better luck next time :scratch:

Ray :wave:

Upvote 0

Durelen

+|-|3
Sep 30, 2003
California
Visit site
✟873.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Kazaa? Full of viruses and the software its self is loaded with spyware tracking your every move on your computer. Good thing with Kazaa is that you can find a lot of documents that are hard to find with a regular searchbot. I hate spyware and will not use anything with spyware so Kazaa is not worth the trouble in my opinion. There are spyware scanners around that you can use to get rid of spyware. Even if you uninstall Kazaa you still have ALL the spyware on you computer (it’s like a virus) and it updates its self and sends out the gathered information as it monitors your computer use. If you look up the dictionary definition of a virus, spyware fits right in as a Trojan virus.

Upvote 0
If you use Kazaa or KazzaLite, the powers that be will know if you are sharing or downloading anything illegal. Blocking IPs doesn't really help, since they can monitor from new IPs, and change before anyone figures out which IPs they use to monitor.

If you are determined to trade, trade only legal stuff with trusted friends.

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If people are trying to sell something, and instead of buying it from them, you take it without buying, that's pretty much the definition of stealing, no?

If you can't afford music, go without. You'll live.

I say this as someone who makes his living selling copyrighted material; I write for a living, and believe you me, people stealing my book would be depriving me of food.

Upvote 0

jones_of_pbf

Mine Own.
Oct 20, 2003
Sellersburg, Indiana
✟536.00
Faith
Baptist
Politics
US-Republican
tms8707056 said:
...I am diving head first in to an industry that is supposedly suffering from file sharing. Would you go out and get a job in an industry if you really thought it wouldn't be around for long?...
I worked for one of the largest healthcare companies in the nation, just after a merger deal fell through.
Stock fell from nearly $30 to $4 almost overnight.
While the industry wasn't exactly falling apart, it was suffering at that time.
Lawsuits were being brought every day, and the company I worked for had just lost millions to one person.
So, yes. You could go to work in an industry that's being hurt.
The reason...
It will recover.

Upvote 0

LilAngelHeart

~Nope,nothing wrong here~
Sep 18, 2002
I live in the Midwest,
Visit site
✟2,714.00
Faith
Pentecostal
LOL! I just can't think of it as stealing any more than I can think of recording my favorate show as stealing. It's just one of those things that they can't regulate. Stealing is to take something hard and tangible or to take credit for someone else's work.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ben_Hur

Me at the Races...
Oct 26, 2003
Northwest
✟9,019.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
When you record shows off the TV, if it is off of network television, it contains advertisments and the quality is not generally as good - this offsets the impact to the industry. If it is from HBO/Showtime, you've pretty much paid for the right to do that in your monthly bill. If you go and sell the video you've recorded, you are breaking the law.

When you download songs from Kazaa, they do not contain advertizing and quality does not suffer. You are, indeed, cheating the recording artist out of a royalty.
In the short run, you probably do no harm to the "rich" recording artists. But in the long run, their market share will drop, and they will suffer a loss of revenue.
This is steeling. Period. It has been defined by the governing authorities as illegal.

When you download full version software that you did not pay for, you've pirated the software. This is illegal in the US. Period. This is defined by the governing authorities.

Romans 13:1-7 tells us we must obey the law of the land (the governing authorities).

Romans13:1Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. 2Consequently, he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. 3For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and he will commend you. 4For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. 5Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also because of conscience. 6This is also why you pay taxes, for the authorities are God's servants, who give their full time to governing. 7Give everyone what you owe him: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor.

Upvote 0

LilAngelHeart

~Nope,nothing wrong here~
Sep 18, 2002
I live in the Midwest,
Visit site
✟2,714.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Ben_Hur said:
When you record shows off the TV, if it is off of network television, it contains advertisments and the quality is not generally as good - this offsets the impact to the industry. If it is from HBO/Showtime, you've pretty much paid for the right to do that in your monthly bill. If you go and sell the video you've recorded, you are breaking the law.

When you download songs from Kazaa, they do not contain advertizing and quality does not suffer. You are, indeed, cheating the recording artist out of a royalty.
In the short run, you probably do no harm to the "rich" recording artists. But in the long run, their market share will drop, and they will suffer a loss of revenue.
This is steeling. Period. It has been defined by the governing authorities as illegal.

When you download full version software that you did not pay for, you've pirated the software. This is illegal in the US. Period. This is defined by the governing authorities.

Romans 13:1-7 tells us we must obey the law of the land (the governing authorities).

Romans13:1Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. 2Consequently, he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. 3For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and he will commend you. 4For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. 5Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also because of conscience. 6This is also why you pay taxes, for the authorities are God's servants, who give their full time to governing. 7Give everyone what you owe him: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor.
LOL Well, just like network TV has commercials, Kazaa has spyware and adds too, and we pay for cable TV, well I pay a cable bill for access of the internet, that's the same thing. :) LOL!

Upvote 0

Moros

Jan 1, 2004
✟22,337.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Single
They play songs on the radio yet complain about mp3's?

doesn't make sense.

I can see their complaint about hollywood movies. But music eventually can be heard for free by legal means. Mp3 is no different than radio. If i wanted to keep radio songs, id use a blank cassette.

Same with tv shows. they show re-runs. you should be able to download episodes.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
That's not the same at all. Blank cassettes have a bit of additional cost on them which goes to the RIAA, in exchange for the expected harm to sales. Video tapes are legal, in principle, because of the option of "time-shifting" - watching a show at a different time.

I don't think there's any kind of moral obligation for them to make content free, or any kind of moral right to have it free.

It looks like stealing to me. That said, the RIAA's treatment of musicians also looks like stealing to me. :)

Upvote 0

Zlex

Oct 3, 2003
✟5,371.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Libertarian
Stealing is to take something hard and tangible or to take credit for someone else's work.

Your civil protest inspired me; I have stacks and stacks of blank CDs in my room, so I ran to put one in my CD player, but nothing happened. What is the secret?

How can music companies sell blank CDs for $18.99?

That is outrageuous. Do people actually buy blank CDs for $18.99?

And, what the Hell does a blank video tape cost? I watched a blank video tape last night; in this instance, I got say, the blank book was not any better. After the first hour and a half, I couldn't take any more, so I just shut it off.

I can imagine folks going to the movie theatre and paying $10 a pop to watch blank film being projected on a white screen, but hey, you know, it costs money to build those actual buildings and put up those actual screens. I mean, there was sweat involved, and you can't expect some true working man construction guy to just throw those things up for free.

I mean, for as long as there is a reason to truly work and truly throw them up.

In this day and age of PDFs et. al. wizzing through the ether, how in the world can B&N justify charging anyone $19.95 for a novel? Like, the little cupcake at the community college in the Xerox commercial, 'now we can all get published.' Christ, like there are that many trees to kill for **** just like this that used to cover the stalls in the bathroom wall.

IP is a crime against IC (Intellectual Consumers.)

IC; you know, the no-talent, no-brains little ****s running around half awake in their 24/7 stupor with maws agape, waiting to be fed their birthright IP, the product of some other living human being.

How do you define an IC? It is an intellectual exercise to recognize 'stealing' when you see it. It is gutless to paint that as anything else. That's probably a pretty good test, right there.

When you have no control over what you create, when you have no right to dispose of it as you see fit, then creativity is nothing but an indictment to slavery, and we poor ICs are going to be left with mounds of the steaming turd hobby table scraps. As in, that truly working construction worker guy, fresh from his day job putting up movie houses that get tired of showing cheap but still balnk film, will somehow earn enough to buy his little Sony and put together an indie for our viewing pleasure in his spare time, "Hey, look what I made on my Mac."

Key-rist.

Upvote 0

Moros

Jan 1, 2004
✟22,337.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Single
seebs said:
That's not the same at all. Blank cassettes have a bit of additional cost on them which goes to the RIAA, in exchange for the expected harm to sales.

Then I can get them from garage sales in free boxes. Someone pays somewhere along the line, but its always possible to get something for free.

Upvote 0

Dracil

Dec 25, 2003
San Francisco
✟16,707.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Copyright infringement is not theft. Let me repeat, copyright infringement is not theft, no matter how much the RIAA has misled you to believe otherwise.

Theft is an actual crime. However, under the law (US law at least), copyright infringment is actually not a crime, but a civil offense (unless the amount is a lot, like in the thousand(s) of dollars). I would think the fact that the law makes a distinction between the two as being separate things would speak volumes that they are not the same thing, but I guess not.

Furthermore, if that's not enough, then I give you Dowling vs. United States, where the Supreme Court ruled that while Dowling's actions of copyright infringement were not to be condoned, "interference with copyright does not easily equate with theft, conversion, or fraud". Here's the quote of the pararaph for context.

The language of 2314 does not "plainly and unmistakably" cover such conduct. The phonorecords in question were not "stolen, converted or taken by fraud" for purposes of 2314. The section's language clearly contemplates a physical identity between the items unlawfully obtained and those eventually transported, and hence some prior physical taking of the subject goods. Since the statutorily defined property rights of a copyright holder have a character distinct from the possessory interest of the owner of simple "goods, wares, [or] merchandise," interference with copyright does not easily equate with theft, conversion, or fraud. The infringer of a copyright does not assume physical control over the copyright nor wholly deprive its owner of its use. Infringement implicates a more complex set of property interests than does run-of-the-mill theft, conversion, or fraud. Pp. 214-218.

If you want to read more on the case, go to http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?navby=case&court=us&vol=473&page=207

Upvote 0

Nick_Loves_Abba

Bulls On Parade
Mar 16, 2002
Michigan
✟9,662.00
Faith
Christian
I don't know, personally, programs like Kazaa have inspired me to buy more albums then I otherwise would have. With albums around $20, I don't feel like buying a cd that has one song I like on it, especailly when the other 12 are ****. For example, I love the song Mary Jane, by the Vines. The intro is very nice, especailly when the drums come in at the begining. Lyrically, it's very soothing. Talking about a girl who's lost all her motivation but he still loves her. And I was very tempted to go out and spend $20 for their CD, because let's face it, there's nothing funner than listening to cd's in your car with the music blasting and the windows down. Anyway, I thought, hey, I'll check out some other songs on the album first, see how it floats with me. I ended up not liking thos songs at all, thus I decided not to buy the cd, thus I didn't waste my money. On the other hand, one day at the book store I came across a CD by Soul Coughing, called Ruby Vroom. Sampled a song or two there, thought it was pretty good, and went home and downloaded a couple more songs, just to make sure. Well, I found the album brilliant, and next time I get a hold of it at the store, I'm basically going to purchase it no matter the price. So, I don't necessarily use Kazaa such programs to steal, but rather sample music I'm interested in PURCHASING. I buy alot more cd's now than I used to, before I started dling music. But, because of the crack down on the whole thing, I find I rarely do anymore.

Upvote 0