Mar 12, 2009
✟7,730.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Hey all! I'm curious, what's the story behind you relationship/engagement/marriage? How did you meet and end up together?

I'll start.

I was seven, and he was eight. We met in second grade, and played tag every day for about a whole school year. We were in the same fourth grade class two years later. After my twelfth birthday, my family changed churches and lo and behold, he was there! I think I spoke about eight scentences to him in the whole four years I went there. My family left that church due to personal issues, but went back two years later because gas prices were so high and the church was much closer.

I went off to Boot Camp, and he was in college. I came back home, with not having graduated boot camp due to a physical injury, and we talked a couple times before he left for college again.(These talks were, litereally, scentences long. I did NOT like him in that way at all. I thought him dull, unintelligent and, with his greatest passion being porfessional cheerleading, I thought him either gay or immoral. He didn't like me in that way, either. He thought me ditzy and snobbish.)

I went through two relationships in about five, maybe six months, and they both were horrid. He'd gone through two in that amount of time as well, and after coming back home from college(unwillingly...the college screwed him over), we ended up talking at a college/career luncheon. I had been so decidedly against liking him, ever, that when we started talking I began to realize that I hadn't given him the chance he deserved. He was highly intelligent, funny as all heck, had passion for life and the things he enjoyed, was on fire for God and(this I already knew) shared the same political view as me.

Needless to say, I was petrified. It couldn't be, that the one I'd been so against all these years, might possibly be the one for me. No, it wasn't possible. I was then reminded of Pride and Prejudice; Elizabeth and Darcy. Also, Sense and Sensibility; Marianne and Brandon. I began to watch him very closely, and I noticed him doing/saying things that I loved. If his parents weren't at church on a Sunday, he'd sit with his grandparents.(We're the ONLY two young people in our church, and I found this very cute.) I also realized that musically he matched my ideal; I'd always wanted a guy who either played the piano or the drums, and he plays both along with the guitar and bass guitar to boot.

I was rapidly running out of excuses not to like him. He could pray, he worshipped when he played, he had confidence, he was really fit and healthy, I was beginning to find him irresistably attractive, he could make me laugh easily, and we were sarting to talk more. I couldn't help myself, I had to talk to him. Finally, I admitted that I liked him one Sunday morning after prayer. (I didn't know it, but later that dau when I laughed at something he said, he noticed me in that way too. I think it's awesome that we liked each other on the same day. :))

We went to see Fireproof about a week later, saw Australia a week after that, saw Transporter 3 a week after that(Transporter was our first official date), and have been together ever since. We're engaged, and getting married on August 8th of this year.

What's you story?

latteda

You're not my nemesis
Jan 8, 2005
Southern US
✟14,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Congrats! I love hearing people's stories. It's awesome to hear how people get together...so much variety. :) You have a great story. Mine is actually somewhat similar.

My boyfriend and I met about two and a half years ago at a birthday party for a mutual friend. We celebrated at Red Lobster and the group of us had a wonderful time and really hit it off. He introduced himself to me and sat across from me at dinner. He tried to make conversation with me, and actually told me that he remembered me from a job he worked (he came in to install a sound system where I was working and I was the available office staff that day). We added each other on MySpace, and when he saw some of my interests, he was very intrigued (he told me later that he seriously thought I was being tricky with my interests in order to snag a guy! haha). He messaged me and we talked back and forth a little bit, but at that time I was interested in another guy and didn't want to consider anyone else. The group of friends that had eaten at Red Lobster that night continued to get together for game nights and go to movies and hang out, so we saw each other fairly regularly. He would always make a point to try to start a conversation with me. For quite awhile, I wrongly thought he was a jerk (he isn't, but he's just a real man's man), so I was determined to not even consider him. I picked up on the fact that he was interested, and I didn't want to lead him on, so I basically spent 1-1/2 years avoiding him most of the time. Because he knew I wasn't interested, he never asked me out, but he persistently tried to pursue a friendship with me.

There came a point where I got frustrated that he continued to try to get to know me when I had tried hard to make it clear that I wasn't interested. I had discovered by this point that he wasn't actually a jerk, and I actually enjoyed being around him at times because we had similar interests, but I did NOT want anything more and so I kept my distance. Around that time, I had a very good guy friend that I had spent a lot of time with that admitted that he had feelings for me and got offended when i didn't return them. So that made me paranoid and even more determined to make my intentions clear with any guy friends from the beginning. So one night, my now boyfriend was chatting with me a little, and kind of flirting and asked if he could call me. I told him no and then point blank said, "Let me ask you a question." He told me to go ahead, even though he was nervous. I cut to the chase and said, "Have I ever done ANYTHING to make you think that I am interested in you?" He swallowed his pride and told me that no, I had made it clear that I wasn't interested. We talked for a few minutes longer and then I said goodbye. He messaged me later to clarify a couple of things, and basically just told me in short that he thought I was a great girl who deserved the best.

I kind of expected him to be mad at me anytime afterward when we saw each other, but I was proven wrong. He treated me with respect and humility. I relaxed when I was with him because I knew that he knew where I stood and I didn't have to worry about giving the wrong impression. One day a group of us went to Chili's for lunch and I ended up sitting across from him. We talked quite a bit and I left thinking about how I had a really fun time talking to him and hoped that we would be able to be better friends.

The four years or so before this, I'd become very independent and had gotten to the place where I was happy single and even questioning whether marriage and a family was even what I wanted in life. I hit a point about two years ago, though, where I started to recognize that I had a lot of fears concerning marriage and romantic relationships, and that those fears might be holding me back from things that would be good for me and make me happy. I felt that ten years down the road, I would regret the fact that I had essentially kept myself hidden from love. I determined not to let those fears rule me anymore and I opened myself up to the idea of dating. A man and I began talking online and he asked me to dinner one night. Even though I wasn't extremely interested in him, I decided not to write him off and so I accepted. The entire date was uncomfortable...we had nothing in common and he made me feel like I was being interviewed...asking me my opinions and ideas about everything including wedding ceremonies and then disagreeing with everything I said. At the end of the date, we were walking to our cars and he asked me what I was looking for in a man. I began explaining, and as I was talking I got the strangest feeling, like there was something I was supposed to be getting that I wasn't. I went home and ended up getting online. My now-boyfriend was on a work trip and happened to be online also and we began talking. I told him about the date (by this point, I thought he had gotten over me since I had rejected him and crushed his ego a few months before) and we talked about relationships a little and found we had similar ideas. I learned some new things about him and his character and went to bed that night with a greater respect and admiration for him. That night I couldn't sleep and kept thinking about him. My feelings began emerging as I realized that he had all the qualities I had listed earlier that evening that I wanted in a man...I had just learned them all so gradually that I hadn't realized until that point that he was what I was looking for. And I had been so stubborn that I hadn't even considered taking a second look at him after I knew him better. I finally sat straight up in bed, threw up my arms, and said out loud, "FINE! I like him!"

After that, I wasn't quite sure what to do. I didn't know if he was still interested. I also felt bad letting him know that my feelings had changed, because it was so wishy washy! I mean, what was I supposed to do, say, "Hey, I know I totally rejected you and rubbed your pride in the dirt a couple months ago, but I changed my mind so let's get together!" I knew it wasn't fair...and if I had the freedom to change my mind, certainly he had also. Besides all of that, I was still surprised at my feelings and very confused. I spent the next week chatting with him regularly as I sorted through my feelings. He seemed to just be shocked that I wasn't running from him! I was having a problem with my car at the time and he offered to look at it, so one night I went over to his house so he could try to fix it. After we were done with the car, he asked if i was doing anything that night and I said no. He said later that his mind was reeling at how to get me to hang out with him without scaring me away, so he just asked if I would like to hang out for awhile and eat. I agreed, and we went to Wal-Mart to get some food and went back to grill it and eat. We sat on the couch and talked...he is a pretty reserved guy most of the time but he talked and talked and talked...telling me stories and all about his work and everything. When it was time to leave, I thanked him and offered him a hug, and we both had a hard time pulling away, so it was pretty clear to both of us at that time that there was chemistry. As I drove off, I could see that he was almost skipping as he went back into the house, which I took as a sign that he hadn't totally moved on. :p

A couple of days later, the day after his birthday, some of us went out to eat and then to see The Dark Knight to celebrate his birthday. We were both extremely excited about seeing the movie, and so we sat next to each other in the theater so we could enjoy it together. The first half of the movie was spent with us catching each other's eyes at every cool or funny part in the movie. I had moved my foot near his so we were barely touching, and I guess it sent a signal, because halfway through the movie, he pulled the pinky scout and we kind of worked into a handhold. :) He said he saw his chance and jumped at it before I had the chance to change my mind again. Several friends saw, and we were both questioned about it separately afterward. It was so new to both of us we didn't know what to say! That night we talked on the phone and clarified were things were, and the rest, as they say, is history.

We have been together for almost a year. We're talking about getting engaged. I am very in love, and every day he earns more of my respect and admiration. We are very best friends and love to be together. Our personalities mesh well and we are similar in the right areas and different in the right areas. I never would have guessed even a year and a half ago that my life would be what it is now, but I am so thankful!

Last edited:
Reactions: * kittie *
Upvote 0

sanderse

Aug 11, 2006
Bartlett, TN
✟7,679.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
I love stories. lol

Step one) By brother in law started playing guitar for the contemporary at this little church with a buddy of his. They we playing at a building dedication in early April. They had games and animals for little kids. My sister and i went with her daughter so that we could see "daddy" play and enjoy the games. I met the band members while sitting in a hallway. I thought the singer was cute. Since i sing too, I was attracted to the fact that he was talented. I did not say anything because I knew my brother- in- law would make fun of me for having a crush on his friend.

step2)On June first i woke up and I had a missed call at 2:30 a.m. from my brother. My sister ad told me he went out without telling her that night and she was mad at thim... So I figured he had tried to call for a ride home and didn't acknowledge it. About a week later., My sister informed me that a friend of my Bro-in-law thought i was cute and that the phone call from that night was my bro picking on him. he had dialed the phone and handed it to his friend. My brother said they needed a new singer at church and invited me to come. They got me to find him on Facebook cause he could not find me. We sent each other just one message. I went to church that sunday and when he saw me he started blushing. We talked a couple days later about meeting up. It was an easy set up. I did would have to worry about psyco dating anymore( I was not a fan of dating) and this guy was an active member of his church and I felt at peace about it the whole time.

step3)I went out for coffee a week later after band practice. And then spent every night of the summer hanging out with him. June 30th we became exlcusive.

He is now a naval officer. He is going to Florida for this next year while I finish college and quite soon after I graduate, we plan on getting married.

Upvote 0

Luther073082

κύριε ἐλέησον χριστὲ ἐλέησον
Apr 1, 2007
New Carlisle, IN
✟31,326.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My fiancee and I met on the CF singles forum about 3 years ago. About a year and 6 months ago we started talking more. In I belive March of '08 she stated off hand in public that she liked someone on CF but she didn't think he liked her.

I had liked her and I was a bit depressed about this because I didn't think it was me. And so I started asking her who it was in private. When she told me that it was in fact me, I thought it was a joke and joked around. But she eventually convinced me she was serious.

She lives in Florida, I live in Northern Indiana.

On May 5, 2008 I ordered a plane ticket to go and see her in August of '08. We have talked every day on the phone since I ordered those tickets.**

I met her in person on August 1, 2008.
We kissed on August 2, 2008.
We got engaged on March 14, 2009
We are getting married April 10, 2010

**It is to be noted that it is not completly true that we talked on the phone EVERY day since then. That is because those days in which we where together in person we did not talk on the phone for obvious reasons.**

Upvote 0

camethodactor

Sep 21, 2007
Claremont, CA
✟15,629.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Green
My beloved and I first met as undergrads at the state university. She was a Senior and I was a Junior. We started our friendship and interacted whenever we had free time. She graduated and we lost contact. It wasn't until October of last year that our friendship rekindled. We exchanged phone calls and exchanged e-mails and starting in December we dated. On Valentine's of this year, we officially became a couple. Come June 14th we will officially celebrate our 4 month anniversary.

Upvote 0

Blank123

Legend
Dec 6, 2003
✟56,875.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
we actually met here. I noticed him when i was a staff member modding the teens forum and thought he was a nice guy, he was always posting with the teens and goofing around a lot, at that point he was pretty new to the site and new in Christ and i don't remember thinking too much of him. i just remember seeing him a lot.

Then we both started posting lots on the singles forum where i got to know him a bit better and around that time CF was undergoing some leadership changes and i was made a supervisor for the lifestages section which meant i was suddenly charged with the responsibility of find new mods for each of the forums and i knew he had a good rapport with a lot of the members so i went and checked out his posts and realized, whoa... this guy is pretty cool and *really* smart and *really* knows his Bible' so i got in touch with him and told him he need to apply to be a mod. he kindly told me he had no interest but we started talking quite a bit after that.

this was all about 3 years ago.

within about a month we were pretty much the best of friends. there was another couple who met on here around the same time that we used to chat with frequently who figured out before we did that we had feelings for one another and would joke about it with us. And I hated that because i actually was developing feelings for him and i figured i had no chance with him so the teasing basically just felt like they were rubbing my nose in it. but within two months of us beginning to talk, unbeknownst to me, Ian had been talking to a mutual friend of ours about how much he liked me and he wanted to tell me but he didn't know how. And around the same time i went to that same friend and told her i had a huge crush on him but i swore her to secrecy. so she finally pushed us together and said, 'hey you two need to talk!' and we got it all out in the open :D

two weeks later we became an official couple. we'll be celebrating our third anniversary this summer :)

Upvote 0

xJesus.Freakx

Jul 9, 2008
Colorado
Visit site
✟7,692.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Single
I love hearing all these stories!! :) haha it gives me hope!

I have a really interesting story about how i met my "ex" I had just broken off an 11 month relationship I was in and I went to Texas with my best friend to get away from all the stress. On the plane ride back I thought for sure I would be stuck between 2 old ladies or something but I got stuck between two very handsome college guys haha (best plane ride ever!!) For some weird reason, I was in a talking mood so I chatted with each of the guys the whole way...I exchanged phone numbers with one and we began to text. I found that he had a HUGE heart for God and he was seeking Him wholeheartedly...I kept finding out things about him that I just loved and we started dating...but it was long distance. I couldn't handle not being able to see him, so I dumped him for my most recent ex :( (which I am not proud of) anyway as of right now we still talk and I am learning more and more stuff about him that I love :) so who knows...maybe its what God has in store for me :)

Upvote 0

This_Beautiful_Grace

Senior Veteran
Dec 7, 2004
Australia
✟10,763.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We also met on CF.

I had been a Christian for about a year and a half before I googled Christian forum sites and came across CF. I was looking for a site or people that would encourage and help feed my faith. Dan (now my fiance) happened to join CF 10 days after I did.

I noticed Dan's posts around CF. They were deep, insightful and encouraging and they revealed that he shared my values and beliefs. Thinking it would be good to talk to him, I added him to AIM/MSN.

It took awhile for Dan to reply to me much. Either he was busy (which he claims :p) or didn't care much for talking to the unknown random net person that was bugging him ;). Usually I wouldn't have cared and would have just deleted him, but for some reason I really wanted to talk to him and so I kept pursuing conversations with him.

Eventually we hit it off in one conversation. After that he seemed more interested in talking to me. We would often talk about our beliefs, about Scripture and stuff that was going on in our lives and we would encourage each other. We very quickly became good friends and would contact each other whenever we needed prayer or someone to talk to. It didn't take long before we became best friends.

Dan is American and I am Australian. For this reason we were able to grow in friendship without any romantic feelings getting in the way. We were too far away from each other--- as in, opposite ends of the planet, far away--- to even bother thinking of the other as potential partner or spouse... at least for the first few years! We began to notice, however, just how much God seemed to be using our friendship in bringing us closer to Him. God seemed to be using us again and again in pointing each other to Him and we noticed that the closer we became to God, the closer friends we became. This became a consistent pattern and we wondered if maybe, just maybe we should meet.

After 4 years of being best buddies, Dan flew to Australia. Before he came, we both knew that there was a possibility that our friendship could eventuate into much more, but we had both decided not to expect it. He stayed for 3 months and although I think we both tried to fight it, we couldn't deny that we were just as attracted to each other in person as we had been to each other online. After a month of Dan being in Australia, we officially became an item. ;)

Dan and I applied for a year long homeless ministry program with the Salvation Army in Melbourne, Australia. We hoped for both of us to get in, and for Dan to go home to Kansas and return in a month or two to begin the homeless ministry. It wasn't until the night before Dan had to leave Australia that we found out that our plan had failed though. It was difficult for us to depart without knowing when we'd see each other again but I do believe now that the Salvation Army homeless ministry was not where we were supposed to be this year.

In May this year I flew to the States for my first time. Dan and I were reunited for 2 weeks in which I greatly enjoyed his company again and was introduced to his family. I then flew to Georgia and worked as a camp counselor for 2 months. I had a 4 day long weekend inbetween in which Dan came to visit me. :D

On the night of my final day at camp I was supposed to fly back to Kansas. That day, however, Dan surprised me by showing up at camp. :eek: Once again, he had driven. We drove for 3 hrs and stopped at a hotel that Dan had a couple of rooms booked at so that we could get a decent nights sleep before driving back to Kansas. Unaware that we had driven 3 hrs OUT of our way in driving to the hotel, Dan took me to a beach early the next morning in Savannah and proposed. :D We then drove for 21 hrs back to Kansas (with a couple of detours!) which amazingly enough, flew by INCREDIBLY fast!!

We then spent another month and a half together in Kansas. I stayed at his dad's house, 20 minutes away from him. Border Patrol gave me until the 18th of September to be in the US but no longer.

Currently we have been separated for a month and will continue to be until our Prospective Marriage Visa application (for him to live here in Australia) is completed, lodged and granted. It's been tough on both of us, especially with neither of us having any idea when we'll be able to see each other next, or marry... but we have seen signs of God's goodness and protection towards our relationship time and time again so in God we trust. HE knows when we will see each other again. HE knows when we will marry. HE knows how exactly our situation will work out. And HE can be trusted.

:)

Upvote 0

Manda_24

Saved by Grace
Jan 2, 2004
Indiana
✟19,896.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I first met Dan about 6 years ago at church when I first started college, he's a couple years older than me. I didn't hang out with him or talk to him all that much the first few years, he's pretty shy and just stayed with a small group of people and didn't branch out much. I was kinda the same way.

A few years later he decided he wanted to do something else and moved a few states away but ended up coming back a few months later after he changed his mind and he's now finishing his degree. We both should have graduated by now, but haven't, so our group of friends have all moved on for the most part.

Last year we started hanging out with some of the same people and I started going to the college worship band practice partly to chat with some friends and partly because I kind of liked him and wanted to be around him. One night after band practice I told him that our friends were going out of town and we didn't have anything planned this Friday he then asked if I'd like to have dinner with him, I of course said yes. It's funny how these things can take so much time sometimes.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
N

nhisname

My husband and I met on a blind date and were married a year later, he was 18 and I 17. That was 36 years ago. We were so young and naive, we thought the world revolved around us. We didn't have a clue about what our own lives were about much less what being a married couple meant anyway that's where God comes in. He brings our differences into alignment with him. The Lord is our glue to staying together.

Upvote 0

SmileAndAHandshake

Senior Veteran
Oct 1, 2003
✟19,199.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I met my husband on craigslist, through a personal ad that he placed. I contacted him through that ad, we talked for a couple hours on msn, and I decided the same night to go over and meet him.

About a month later, we started dating exclusively.

About a month and a half after that, we moved in together because neither of us were making a ton of money and it made no sense to keep maintaining two separate apartments when we literally were practically living together anyway, I had barely even slept a night in my apartment at all since we had gotten together. So we nixed my apartment, moved in together, and bought a car with the extra money we were saving. Worked out great.

At 7 months he proposed, and we were married 6 months after that. Been married for a year now and things are amazing :angel:

Upvote 0

undonebymercy

Mar 25, 2010
Newcastle, England.
✟15,133.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I met Chris at a bar over a year ago through a mutual friend. It was around a month after my ex boyfriend had dumped me, leaving me pretty much heartbroken, so I was basically drowning my sorrows. I'm actually quite glad I went out now (I wasn't intending to but I was coerced), if I hadn't I probably would never have met him. Anyways... Eve (the mutual friend) and Chris turned up, I greeted them both with hugs and told Chris that he looked familiar, despite having never met him before. I later worked out that it was through the pictures on Facebook where both he and Eve are tagged that I recognised him. No doubt I scared him off a little, but I was attracted to him right from the start. Anyway, about an hour later, we got chatting, just banter and a little bit of flirting and something in my mind went 'kiss him. if you don't kiss him, you'll never see him again'. So I did. We spent the rest of that night pretty much attached at the hip, but we didn't start dating until the next week.

We continued chatting for the entire week, pretty much non-stop, and a night out on the monday turned into a night out on the saturday, where we were, again, attached at the hip. Eve was getting bored of our little game of kissy-chase and so she shouted over 'Kat, Chris wants to know if you'll go out with him but he's too scaredy-cat to ask you himself'. I laughed it off and then looked at Chris and told him to ask me properly (since I thought he had asked Eve to do it for him because he was indeed a scaredy-cat). He asked if I wanted to go out sometime and I said yes. He then clarified that he was just about to ask me when Eve shouted over; how's that for bad timing.

I'll never forget our first date. But there's so much detail in it and I'm truly too lazy to type it all out so I wont bore you.

But I love him. Through him I've gotten to know Christ all over again, he's given me so much love and care over the past year and a half... I couldn't imagine my existence without him. Despite my age and his age (I'm 18, he's 21), there is nothing I would like more than to marry him and settle down and have babies with him. He is my world...and I'll stop there cause I'm gushing again :D

Upvote 0