FuegoPentecostes

Apr 26, 2012
Connecticut
✟15,505.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
My faith towards spiritual gifts is very shaky, and I don't like that. I look all over in the Scriptures, on the computer, and in prayer searching for answers on the validity of speaking in tounges and other spiritual gifts. I see points from both sides.
Obviously, something is happening. People claim to be prophesying, speaking in tounges, healing, etc. I was raised to believe all of this as a work of God and the Holy Spirit, but I have to admit I get scared sometimes. This statement in an answer from gotquestions.org really confuses me:"Second, many of the cults and world religions also report occurrences of speaking in tongues/praying in tongues. Obviously the Holy Spirit is not gifting these unbelieving individuals. So, it seems that the demons are able to counterfeit the gift of speaking in tongues"
I don't see where they get this from since cults also claim to prophecy and heal.
Anyways, they're saying demons are counterfeiting the gift of speaking in tounges. I initially don't believe this, however it sort of shakes me up a bit. I've seen nothing but good come from a person speaking in tounges - their faith increases ten-fold, their lives take a complete turn around towards God, and they are full of praise and happiness - ALL IN THE NAME OF JESUS. How could people believe that God would lead us astray so when asking something in the name of His Son Jesus?
Also, I want thoughts on the idea that it is mostly pentecostal/charismatic Christians that speak in tounges/receive spiritual gifts. Baptists and other God-loving Christians never seem to do these things - is it because they don't seek it? Could all this be demons/over-excitement? Are Pentecostals letting experience trump Scripture?
There's a lot in this post but as you can see I'm just so confused. And note I am a Pentecostal, but again as you can see I'm at a strange place right now! I need wisdom from someone! :confused:

Jun 27, 2012
alshawitz
✟15,356.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Many groups such as the Baptist believe that speaking in tongues and prophecy have ceased. They base this on a prophecy in 1 Corinthians 13:8-10 "Love never fails. But whether there are prophecies, they will fail; whether there are tongues, they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will vanish away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part. But when that which is perfect has come, then that which is in part will be done away." NKJV They believe this prophecy is fulfilled and that "that which is perfect" is the Bible. I agree that the Bible is perfect in it's original form but I do not believe that the Bible is the only thing perfect. James 1:17 "Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow of turning." NKJV This verse proves more than one thing can be perfect. "Every" means more than one. This means "that which is perfect" can be more than one thing. We know that prophecy has not ceased because the two witnesses in Revelation will prophesy one thousand two hundred and sixty days in the future, Revelation 11:3 "And I will give power to my two witnesses, and they will prophesy one thousand two hundred and sixty days, clothed in sackcloth." NKJV This proves the time of prophecy and other gifts is not over. I believe these witnesses will also have the gift of miracles, Rev. 11:6. "That which is perfect" has not come yet. It will come when Christ returns.:amen:

Upvote 0

FriendOfGod6

Jesus Loves us.
Jul 6, 2012
Indiana
✟7,686.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Baptists don't believe in tongues at all, and most other denominations believes there must be an interpreter present when someone is speaking in tongues. The truth is that there is a gift of speaking in tongues (a language you don't know) called Xenolalia. But, the tongues we are used to is Glossolalia which is when you speak in a divine language that only God and other forms of God (the spirit and Son) can understand. You can learn more about Xenolalia and Glossolalia by looking them up on Google.

As for demons making people speak in tongues, we may never know if that is true or not but you should have confidence that the people in the Pentecostal, Apostolic, and Charismatic churches are truly speaking in tongues and if you so happen to have that gift, don't hold back and please do not be afraid to use the gift. We as pentecostals know the truth about all of this.

Upvote 0

dylenbrivera

Dylen Rivera
Apr 14, 2012
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟7,640.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As a Pentecostal, I've seen speaking in Tongues. One thing I'd like to point out is that I've seen a visitor in the church who was demon possessed speaking in what "appears" to be Tongues. For someone such as yourself "FuegoPentecostes" I believe that the enemy is trying to keep you in this state of confusion. I too at a time greatly feared God and did not want to open up to him because I feared that it wasn't God but the enemy himself. Something the Holy Spirit revealed to me, because of the Grace of God is that if we openly ask the Lord for his Spiritual Gifts, we shall receive them. I know that my God is a True and Living God. That if I ask my God for an Apple, he will not give me a Pear. Next time you ask God for the Holy Spirit, or to speak in Tongues, or any other gift, have faith in Him and you shall prosper in his name. When I pray on this Matter, it usually goes something like this.

"Father God, the Great I AM. Lord Jesus I seek eagerly your spiritual gifts. I place my trust in you. I know that if I ask you for an Apple, you will not give me a Pear. For you are a Truthful living God. May your Spirit guide me, that I may not be deceived by the enemy. That under the guidance of the Holy Spirit that I may receive what it is you have planned and set before me. I claim Victory in the name of my Father. Amen"

Well with this, I'm trying to say to work on Trust and Faith in God. Ask, and you shall Receive. John 4:23. But the hour is coming, and now is when the True Worshipers will Worship the Father in Spirit and Truth, For the Father seeks such to Worship Him"

Upvote 0

LinkH

Jun 19, 2006
✟43,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Fuego,

Can demons speak in foreign languages? They obviously spoke through people in languages foreign to most of us back in Biblical times. Why should this shake your faith? Why should it shake your faith that pagans do something that an unbelieving person might consider to be like speaking in tongues? There are prophets of Baal claiming to 'prophesy' when prophets of the LORD were prophesying in the Old Testament. Moses turned a stick into snakes. The Egyptian magicians could do the same and imitate various other miracles until they got to the gnats, and it just got to be too much for them. That shouldn't shake your faith.

Perhaps this passage will set your mind at ease:

Luke 11
11 “Which of you fathers, if your son asks for a fish, will give him a snake instead? 12 Or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion? 13 If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!”

Upvote 0

stormdancer0

Do not be so open-minded that your brain falls out
Apr 19, 2008
USA
✟14,334.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
When you are filled with the Holy Spirit it becomes apparent when someone is being led by a demon.

The enemy can counterfeit all of God's gifts - even healing. If someone is teaching anything other than scripture, and/or taking credit for the healing or tongues (or whatever) then I would walk out. God and God alone gives these gifts - not the person. A demon-possessed person will claim the glory for himself.

There is a certain TV evangelist who has a lot of healing at his services. However, what he taught (at least the time I attended) was NOT Biblical at all. That tells me that if the healings were true healings (i.e. not planted by the evangelist) then it was by the power of the enemy. You cannot serve God and mammon.

It's all or nothing.

Upvote 0

Bob Carabbio

Old guy -
Dec 22, 2010
Glenn Hts. TX
✟35,409.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"My faith towards spiritual gifts is very shaky, and I don't like that. I look all over in the Scriptures, on the computer, and in prayer searching for answers on the validity of speaking in tounges and other spiritual gifts. I see points from both sides."

So, in fact there's not a HINT of "Faith" anywhere, and you simply DON'T KNOW about it one way or another. Admitting that would be a good start. I pretty much "Wrote off" the Pentecostal's claims myself back in the beginning, but DID enjoy the "service style", and the music. Baptist Churches out in Massachusetts were as dry as dust back in the '60s. Park Street Congregational (by Boston Common) was a "Live group", but WAY too long a drive (and no parking).

"This statement in an answer from gotquestions.org really confuses me:"Second, many of the cults and world religions also report occurrences of speaking in tongues/praying in tongues. Obviously the Holy Spirit is not gifting these unbelieving individuals. So, it seems that the demons are able to counterfeit the gift of speaking in tongues"

Shouldn't confuse you at all. Satanic folks, Demonized folks, and Cultists have ALWAYS been able to manifest tongues, and operate in the miraculous.

The devil is ABSOLUTELY not "Powerless", and can counterfeit Spiritual gifts very convincingly (remember the "Transformed as an Angel of Light" thing??). It's not unusual for a demonized person to speak in a language he doesn't know, in a voice that's not his - and sometimes without even moving his mouth. Occultists can demonstrate all sorts of thing including healings (often by transferrance). Nothing "NEW" about that - it's always been there.

"Also, I want thoughts on the idea that it is mostly pentecostal/charismatic Christians that speak in tounges/receive spiritual gifts."

Yup - that's what makes 'em "Pentecostals/Charismatics". One tends to FIND what he's looking for, and looking in a place where it's likely to be increases the chances of discovery.

"Baptists and other God-loving Christians never seem to do these things - is it because they don't seek it?"

Well - since they're dead set AGAINST the whole thing, it shouldn't be surprising that there's not a lot of it in their midst. Back during the '70s Baptists, Nazarenes, CMA, (even Salvation Army folks) and other "fundys" were receiving the Baptism in the Holy Spirit, and getting tossed OUT of their churches by the box lot. I've still got Missionary Baptist tracts from those days warning that "Charismania is DANGEROUS!!!!!

But if you're looking to buy a FORD, the local Chevy dealer probably isn't the best place to start looking.

"Are Pentecostals letting experience trump Scripture?"

YES - sometimes we do, and most of the time we don't. I've been in and around Pentecostals for the last 49 years in many States, churches, Campgrounds, and the like, and Pentecostal/Charismatic Christians are generally as IGNORANT as Baptists, Catholics or members of other "Church Paradigms about the Bible - since they don't read it either.

But my BELIEF in the reality of the "Gifts", and the power in the Baptism actually started with NON-Pentecostals like Spurgeon, Torrey, Oswald Smith, J.Edwin Orr, Harold Ockengae, and the like from the 19th century, and ALSO the simple fact that MOST Denominational groups (including the Baptists) have , or have had "Second Act of Grace" teachings that they called by different names. The Baptists called theirs "Perfect Submission". there were no "Tongues" connected with it, but everything else is the same - and the Nazarenes call theirs "Entire Sanctification".

What I ALWAYS tell folks, however, is "Seek ye FIRST the Kingdom of God and HIS Righteousness - and all these things will be added unto you." Seek the "Giver" and seek relationship with HIM - and he'll handle the details in His own time. I was Pentecostal for 12 years - before I really became "PENTECOSTAL" (tongues and all), and got a teaching ministry to go along with it. That was 1973, and there's been many "changes" in the "Full Gospel" community over the decades.

The fact that you're "Seeking" means that you don't know WHERE it is, but it's a Biblical promise that if you SEEK, you will "Find", and you'll understand in terms YOU can understand.

And the ONLY VOICE that PRESSURES YOU that you've GOT TO DO SOMETHING NOW!!!!! is satan's. HE gets his jollys out of driving folks to distraction with His confusion.

"God doesn't tell you to do "SOMETHING" - he tells you WHAT to do in terms you can understand, and can build faith on."

Upvote 0