Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
HUH ?
What's all this ?

We don't have red eggs - we have decorated ones - called pysanka
:D And those are beautiful eggs! I got a little decorated gold and dark blue neclace pendant years ago that I wore yesterday. :) I was thinking, "Maybe only the Greeks do this egg-cracking ritual" when I was typing this out. LOL Oh well. :p

Upvote 0

Peter

Veteran
Aug 19, 2003
Southern US
Visit site
✟2,154.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Our parish is OCA. We do red eggs.

I HATE boiled eggs. I crack mine on pupose so I don't have to the silly tapping thingy. My kids and wife are eager and willing participants. But I'm the choir director and senior reader, so I'm spent by the time we get to the egg thing.

I do love the story regarding why we have red eggs. It's one to share with all of our Protestant friends who had to invent a story so they could hate Easter eggs.

Peter

Upvote 0

GBTWC

God bless the Working class
Apr 13, 2008
were am I ?!?
✟18,321.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Our parish is OCA. We do red eggs.

I HATE boiled eggs. I crack mine on pupose so I don't have to the silly tapping thingy. My kids and wife are eager and willing participants. But I'm the choir director and senior reader, so I'm spent by the time we get to the egg thing.

I do love the story regarding why we have red eggs. It's one to share with all of our Protestant friends who had to invent a story so they could hate Easter eggs.

Peter

so go ahead and share Im curious :confused:

this infuriating Hatred I have for easter eggs is ruining my life :mad: I hate eggs:cry:please Im outa control :help:

no but seriously have you ever really met an easter egg hating protestant ?...... maybe I could start a hole new religion based on hating easter eggs :idea:

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
We have red eggs in our MP parish as well... the cracking thing goes on between a few people and I did it this year... and WON. Totally technique based anyways LOL... :p
^_^

Upvote 0

Monica child of God 1

strives to live eschatologically
Feb 4, 2005
✟9,473.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
HUH ?
What's all this ?

We don't have red eggs - we have decorated ones - called pysanka

We have pysanky too for those with the patience for the process. I did natural dyes this year, stenciled with herbs, seeds and spinach leaves. They turned out great! Red cabbage turnes your eggs blue :)

M.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟137,058.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I lost the egg game.

Our most senior priest and subdeacon have a bit of a rivalry lasting about twenty-six years now. Sometime around Sunday morning 4am; they went back to back, took three paces, turned and...

Charged!

Subdeacon won this year. :cool:

Upvote 0

Bessie

Orthodox Christian
Jun 9, 2007
Colorado
✟44,688.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I won, which I find ironic since I'd never even heard of this before! I'm not a huge fan of eggs overall, but I think the tradition of the red eggs is really cool.

Also, do any of you know about pysanki? I received a hand made one this year for my Chrismation.

Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟137,058.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Even though all our eggs were not red, I won the competition at our house. I proudly saved the winning egg for other competitors (we had some eggs left over) such as guests if they came by the house. But, the next day my 2 year old made daughter made short the victory of my egg by introducing it to our granite counter top.
^_^^_^^_^

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Monica child of God 1

Feb 4, 2005
✟9,473.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The story goes that Mary Magdalene went to the emperor to proclaim to him that Christ had risen from the dead. The emperor --was eating dinner at the time-- responded that Christ could no more rise from the dead than the egg in her hand could turn red. Immediatly the egg in her hand turned red. Icons of St. Mary Magdalene Equal to the Apostles often depict her holding a red egg
MMicon2sm.jpg

In the icon above she also holds an alabaster jar.

The game we play in many Orthodox churches consists of knocking two eggs together while saying "Christ is risen!" The person whose egg remains intact is considered the winner. It is great fun at 2:00am when you've been attending the Paschal vigil service.

I have no clue about protestants hating red eggs. I have never heard of such a thing.

M.

Upvote 0

Monica child of God 1

Feb 4, 2005
✟9,473.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Another custom concerning eggs is the wearing of fabrege eggs. I have a small collection but there are some women with rows and rows of egg pendants. A lot of women get one a year so by the time they are 50 or 60 they are loaded down :)

Some of them open and have a little surprise inside. This one has an angel on a chain that will dangle if it were not stuffed inside.

faberge_locket_eggs_eg0559_2.jpg

faberge_locket_eggs_eg0559_4.jpg

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.