Brisbane
✟15,157.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Politics
AU-Greens
The sign of the cross is the prayer I use most often.

I often pray the Daily office from the BCP, as well as the from the Anglican church of Australia's 'A prayer Book for Australia.'

and I'm quite partial to the practise of saying a novena to ask the intercession of a saint (often though I have to modify the language as I find Catholic novena's too flowery and seem sometimes seem to praise the saint abit too much for my liking, but I realise that is often the result of cultural differences between the English way of veneration and the veneration as done in the Mediterranean world)

I also practise Christian Mediation.

Oh I'm a new member here guys. hi-ya all!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The 39 Articles are of historical interest to the Churches of the Communion; so says Lambeth twice. I have been a member of a very conservative Anglican church for over 3 years now. The Articles have never been mentioned from the pulpit and have not to my knowledge been part of any study group teaching.

If you want to make a historical statement about the history of Anglicanism, citing the Articles makes sense. And yes, in some jurisdictions, they still are very important. However, they are not a Confession of Angican Belief, and IMHO never have been. In any case, citing the Articles without discussion or text will get you exactly nowhere on this STR board.

Those are covered by Article 22

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2012
Brisbane
✟15,157.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Politics
AU-Greens
<staff edit>

The articles have really never been followed either by High churchman nor Low Churchmen alike; they need to be seen for what they really are, a legalistic attempt to appease both sides of the Catholic/Protestant debate and to establish Anglican Orthodoxy, but it failed, neither side were satisfied and neither side accepted the proposed Orthodoxy.

if someone chooses to follow them that is fine; but I think we have to be careful of Prayer book Legalism and literalism, especially since the binding nature of the articles is under constant debate both in our day and in the past.

Anglicism is my view is less a about Orthodoxy than it is Orthopraxy.
it is Orthodox in that it maintain the core beliefs that all christians hold but Orthopraxy in that the rites and rituals that the church uses are often different from church to church, from dioceses to dioceses from individual person to person. The BCP is an Orthodoxy that failed for the bulk of the communion but called has succeeded in becoming the founding text of Anglican Orthopraxy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
As I look around at the world's Anglicans, I see little agreement on any distinctive Anglican orthodoxy (as you say).

What communality on Anglican orthopraxy do you see? We shall know Christians by their actions (orthopraxy). How would we know Anglicans by their orthopraxy?

Upvote 0

kakieanne

May 25, 2009
✟15,459.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
elahmine I loved the description of your prayer corner. After my husband died, I made our bedroom into a bed/sitting room for me. It was the only way that I could use it. I have an altar there with a candle, a Cross in the centre, and a statue of the Virgin Mary, and a rosary. I try to pray the rosary daily. Do have the Anglican prayer beads but I must confess that I don't use them very often. I keep my Bible and BCP beside my chair and I meet with God. Sometimes it's only 30 minutes...sometimes it's 2 hours.

Like you, I found that it was hard to keep up the daily readings if you miss one or two. So at the moment, I am going through the Psalms. It just seems that so many of David's Psalms say exactly what is in my heart.

Hope that you are feeling good and enjoying your time with your little nephew. There is something so precious about every age.

Blessings,
Kathy

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2012
Brisbane
✟15,157.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Politics
AU-Greens
As I look around at the world's Anglicans, I see little agreement on any distinctive Anglican orthodoxy (as you say).

What communality on Anglican orthopraxy do you see? We shall know Christians by their actions (orthopraxy). How would we know Anglicans by their orthopraxy?

well despite the fact most Anglicans don't use the BCP anymore alot (if not most) of our modern liturgies still retain many BCP prayers, Evensong from BCP also seems to be widely used and covers most the Anglican spectrum (except maybe Sydney Anglicans) with Anglicans there is more empathis on doing things the 'right way'. i.e. put a low churchman and a Anglo-Catholic together at a choral evensong and both will (or should) respect it and pray with it but both will have different different beliefs and understanding about it and about other things.

Anglicanism is not a religion of Orthodoxy it's about a way of being a Christian that whilst may never satisfy everyone it accommodates a large and diverse group with familiar rituals and customs and allows people, parishes and dioceses to overlay their own 'Orthodoxy' on top of that.

which is why I personally don't like the arguments about low church and high church, liberal and traditional/Conservative. When someone can pin down a time when all Anglicans were in agreement or when all Churches of the communion followed the articles of religion to the letter of the law, or when all Anglicans agreed on the interpretation of scripture/church history etc then I'll retract my statement.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SplendidTree

Legend
Aug 8, 2009
✟53,000.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Mod Hat On

9sru46.jpg

This thread has undergone a cleanup due to violation of CF rules.

Flaming and Harassment: Do not insult, belittle, mock, goad, personally attack, threaten, harass, or use derogatory nicknames in reference to other members or groups of members. Address the context of the post, not the poster.

A full set of the rules can always be found here Christian Forums Rules / Terms of Service

Please remember to stick to the rules and stay on topic here in the threads on CF. Happy posting! :)

Mod Hat Off

Upvote 0