Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
3toraiseup said:
What would you do?

If you invite someone to Mass and they take Communion, but for whatever reason, they are ineligible. You explained to them that they cannot partake, but they disagree. Would you stop inviting them to Mass?

Yes, since it's not only disrespectful of your religion, but likely a mortal sin on their part.

Upvote 0

poppinskw

Senior Contributor
Apr 17, 2005
✟20,994.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I find this an interesting question as a non Catholic, because when I asked someone I knew about the question of a non Catholic, but committed Christian taking communion, his answer was this....

He told me that the Catholic church did not permit a non Catholic to participate in the communion, but if I really wanted to take communion, I could just go forward and no one would ask questions. He told me how to approach for it, what to do with my hands etc and what do if I only wanted to have a blessing. I was raised Anglican so most of what he told me was the way that it is done in the Anglican church anyway.

This was a man that also taught RCIA classes.

God Bless

Les

Upvote 0

GK

Love God. Love People. That Simple.
Sep 19, 2005
Visit site
✟12,044.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Why do they disagree? Do they understand and are being stubborn? Or, by "disagree," do you really mean they don't understand what they are being told. IOW, are they disagreeing with the church or with their understanding of what you are saying? (Yes, I recognize for those of us who know all the jots and tittles, the bottom line is still the same. Yes, I recognize it might not be easy to know where their disagreement really lies.) If my friend is being a stubborn ass (speaking of the animal, here, not the dirty word), I probably won't invite him back. If he's just clueless, I probably will, but with added instruction.

Upvote 0

epiclesis

Legend
Sep 29, 2003
Oregon
✟52,647.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
poppinskw said:
I find this an interesting question as a non Catholic, because when I asked someone I knew about the question of a non Catholic, but committed Christian taking communion, his answer was this....

He told me that the Catholic church did not permit a non Catholic to participate in the communion, but if I really wanted to take communion, I could just go forward and no one would ask questions. He told me how to approach for it, what to do with my hands etc and what do if I only wanted to have a blessing. I was raised Anglican so most of what he told me was the way that it is done in the Anglican church anyway.

This was a man that also taught RCIA classes.

God Bless

Les

That isn't right. Non-Catholics are not permitted to receive the Eucharist. By receiving, you are saying you believe everything the Church teaches and you are a member of It.

:(

Upvote 0

epiclesis

Legend
Sep 29, 2003
Oregon
✟52,647.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
poppinskw said:
I know that its wrong and he knew that as well....but he did say it was one way to get around the rules.

It really doesn't get around the rules though, because it's an offense against God. And you can't exactly hide anything from Him.

Upvote 0

Borealis

Catholic Homeschool Dad
Dec 8, 2003
Barrie, Ontario
✟10,009.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I've had the same problem with my son's mother; I don't want to bring her to Mass anymore, because she's not Catholic but goes up for Communion anyway. So I'm just not going to bring her anymore. She treats it like a mid-morning snack more than anything else.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

poppinskw

Senior Contributor
Apr 17, 2005
✟20,994.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Steph said:
It really doesn't get around the rules though, because it's an offense against God. And you can't exactly hide anything from Him.

I didnt mean for you to think I was trying to, because I didnt agree with him and I didnt do it.... I was just saying that this is what is being told sometimes to people.

I wasnt promoting doing it in any way at all.

Upvote 0

Monica child of God 1

strives to live eschatologically
Feb 4, 2005
✟9,473.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Steph said:
That isn't right. Non-Catholics are not permitted to receive the Eucharist. By receiving, you are saying you believe everything the Church teaches and you are a member of It.

:(

I understand and agree with this but why are Orthodox Christians allowed to commune in the Roman Catholic Church?

M.

Upvote 0

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟89,385.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
3toraiseup said:
Would you stop inviting them to Mass?
Yes, I would stop inviting them to Mass. If they go on their own that's a different story, but if I knew for sure they shouldn't be taking Communion, even after I told them what the Church says, I wouldn't invite them any more.

Right on the inside of the missal (should be on the left hand side when you open up the book)-- there is an explanation of how we are to receive and who is to receive. Maybe, if your friend/friends continue to go you could point out what it says there. (assuming this is more than a hypothetical, if not sorry)--

It's hard in situations like this because people can feel unwelcome so easily. But what it says there on the inside of the cover explains it nicely, and also re iterates what you've already told them.

Michelle

Upvote 0

Maggie893

It is what it is.
Sep 13, 2004
Maine
✟28,951.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I'm with Steph on this. Talk to your priest. While I agree that allowing the person to continue to take communion is both sacrilege and scandalous, I have a hard time with the idea of not bringing them to Mass. There are so many graces poured out during Mass. How will they ever come to understand without that grace? Again, I'm not condoning them receiving communion but just not bringing them isn't going to serve Christ in their life. A conversation with the priest might allow him to provide some advice and perhaps even an impromtu meeting befpre or after Mass with the friend.

Upvote 0

alaurie

Welcome, Preston!!!
Feb 21, 2004
✟11,556.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Miss Shelby said:
It's hard in situations like this because people can feel unwelcome so easily.

Just saw this threada pop up -sorry if my post is a bit off-topic, but I wanted to say that your Protestant guests, while intellectually understanding closed Communion, can be pretty traumatized by it if they're accustomed to open Communion.

It wasn't that I felt unwelcomed - I didn't - but almost bereaved visiting Mass. (I know that sounds like an exaggeration, but it was my experience.) Communion has since college days has been such a point of connection to the Lord for me and I haven't taken it lightly since.

My only visit to a regular Mass a few years ago was so unexpectedly traumatic that I doubt I'll be able to go back to a Catholic or Orthodox Church other than for something like a wedding or funeral. My cousin explained everything to me, said her priest welcomed non-Catholics for a blessing, told me how to cross my arms, and I was good to go ...but as Communion started, I started crying, then sobbing. I barely made it to the restroom before I started actually bawling. I felt bad for my cousin and felt pretty awful myself.

I'm not posting this to argue with closed Communion; I understand why it's practiced and would never take it in a church that practices it. My point is there are some of us Protestants who know deeply that we're part of the Body that is the Bride of Christ, and to be deprived of our Groom is worse than not feeling welcomed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

epiclesis

Legend
Sep 29, 2003
Oregon
✟52,647.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
alaurie said:
Just saw this threada pop up -sorry if my post is a bit off-topic, but I wanted to say that your Protestant guests, while intellectually understanding closed Communion, can be pretty traumatized by it if they're accustomed to open Communion.

It wasn't that I felt unwelcomed - I didn't - but almost bereaved visiting Mass. (I know that sounds like an exaggeration, but it was my experience.) Communion has since college days has been such a point of connection to the Lord for me and I haven't taken it lightly since.

My only visit to a regular Mass a few years ago was so unexpectedly traumatic that I doubt I'll be able to go back to a Catholic or Orthodox Church other than for something like a wedding or funeral. My cousin explained everything to me, said her priest welcomed non-Catholics for a blessing, told me how to cross my arms, and I was good to go ...but as Communion started, I started crying, then sobbing. I barely made it to the restroom before I started actually bawling. I felt bad for my cousin and felt pretty awful myself.

I'm not posting this to argue with closed Communion; I understand why it's practiced and would never take it in a church that practices it. My point is there are some of us Protestants who know deeply that we're part of the Body that is the Bride of Christ, and to be deprived of our Groom is worse than not feeling welcomed.

I'm sorry for your experience. :hug:

But, part of the Eucharist is believing in Catholicism is believing and accepting Her teachings... and well, if you believed in them, you'd be Catholic... we're not trying to keep non-Christians from Jesus, He is ready to welcome you into the Church.

I'm sure someone else can say more on this topic. :)

Upvote 0

lonnienord

Keep Praying!!
Jan 13, 2005
Lorain, Ohio about 30 miles west of Cleveland on L
Visit site
✟39,601.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
3toraiseup said:
What would you do?

If you invite someone to Mass and they take Communion, but for whatever reason, they are ineligible. You explained to them that they cannot partake, but they disagree. Would you stop inviting them to Mass?
nope. i would talk with them explain the Eucharist to them then allow them to follow thier own concious!! (and be quite happy if they felt that they could recieve JESUS.)

Reactions: RedTulipMom
Upvote 0

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟89,385.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
alaurie said:

I don't think I can put into words any better than you did how greatly saddened that I am over the division as well. I think it really is why Jesus weeps. (seeing Christians divided).. I am sorry that you felt that way, and I do hope that you understand that the reason Protestants are not allowed for Communion at a Catholic service is because we believe SO DIFFERENTLY about what Communion is.

Michelle

Reactions: alaurie
Upvote 0

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟89,385.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
lonnienord said:
nope. i would talk with them explain the Eucharist to them then allow them to follow thier own concious!! (and be quite happy if they felt that they could recieve JESUS.)
Follow their conscience? Not even gonna nudge them to see a priest first?

Michelle

Upvote 0

alaurie

Welcome, Preston!!!
Feb 21, 2004
✟11,556.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Steph said:
I'm sorry for your experience. :hug:

But, part of the Eucharist is believing in Catholicism is believing and accepting Her teachings... and well, if you believed in them, you'd be Catholic... we're not trying to keep non-Christians from Jesus, He is ready to welcome you into the Church.

I'm sure someone else can say more on this topic. :)

Thank you! :) Michelina and I PM'd a lot about it after it happened - it all actually wound up being a blessing just to interact with her.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.