Your favorite game of all-time?

M

mothcorrupteth

My favorite PC game of all time was Creatures 2. It seems most of Creatures fans think this one was the worst in the series, but the sheer level of detail in which I could tweak a Norn's biochemistry was intoxicating. I remember for sixth grade science class we had to perform an experiment of our own making, and I chose to experiment on the precise levels of cyanide that it took to kill different breeds of Norns, to discover if there were any genetic factors that protected Norns against poisoning. If any one thing pointed me towards my chosen career in science, C2 was it.

For consoles, my favorite game of all time has been either Final Fantasy 9 or Final Fantasy Tactics. It's a difficult choice. FF9 has, hands down, the best assortment of characters I've ever seen in a game to date, and an interesting combat/stats system that feels intuitive. However, FFT satisfies my Tolkien-ish desire for exhaustive backstory, and I can literally never tire of leveling up, the gameplay is so fun. In the end, I guess FF9 had more artistic value and therefore is the "better" of the two, but I guess now that I'm in grad school I prefer games that I can just pick up and play without having to worry about story, and FFT, despite the fact that you could write a dissertation-length document about its plot, is ultimately more about the gameplay.

For handhelds, the undisputed victor is Bomberkids for the TI-83+ graphing calculator--a calculator port of Bomberman. Thanks to the laziness of the faculty in my hometown public high school, my friends and I had tons of free time in math and history class to link up our calculators and play the multiplayer for Bomberkids via the Oasis OS. It was such a simple game, with horrible graphics by today's standards, but man, was it addictive. EVERYONE you played against knew that the key to winning was to get the "tongs" first, because that allowed you to pick up and steal the other guy's bombs for yourself. If the other guy did that, your only chance of winning was if the other guy accidentally suicided while trying to show off how many bombs he had. That only happened to me once...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Netbug009

Dec 4, 2006
✟8,378.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky.

I will NEVER understand all the critic hate for this game. The gameplay is pretty good, and the story. THE STORY. The story is one of the best stories of any video game I've ever played.

Second place goes to Portal 2.

Upvote 0

Breetai

For I am not ashamed of the Gospel...
Dec 3, 2003
✟23,820.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
mothcorrupteth, if you liked Final Fantasy Tactics, you NEED to play Ogre Battle and Tactics Ogre. They are made by the very same developers, but are noticeably better in every way. Square hired them to create a tactics game with a Final Fantasy name, but they did some of their best work under the Ogre name.

Dragon Force on the Sega Saturn is also incredible, and very similar. If you having played them, the Shining Force series is also very similar. Fire Emblem series by Nintendo as well, but I forget if they were released in English or not.

Upvote 0

rolotron5000

Jun 18, 2011
✟7,641.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
For me I would say Final Fantasy 10. I love the story and the gameplay. I had well over 100 hours of play time in that game. It also had very good side quests/activities (blitzball). I have sadly not played a final fantasy game that has measured up to ten. FF13 was ok but the story was very linear

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tuddrussell

The Dreamer of the Darkness
Jun 28, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟8,355.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Seaman, because it never stopped being funny.

Banjo-Tooie, Bioshock, Luigi's Mansion, Wind Waker, Soul Silver, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, Psychonauts, Force Unleashed, Spider-man (All of them, even the one's that sucked!), Area 51, Gauntlet, Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong 64, Metal Gear Solid 1-4, Super Smash Brothers (All of them,) various hentai games that will never be spoken of, and Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1 and 2 are all near and dear to my heart.

However, they all pale in comparison to Spock telling me all about Seaman.

Upvote 0

VintageDon

Texan, Minister, TechnoGeek, Foodie :)
Aug 12, 2011
Smyrna, DE
Visit site
✟16,038.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Definitely a PC gamer, and into RTS, Tower Games, and campy FPS ... so Serious Sam, Empire Earth (oldie but goodie), Age of Empire Series, Civ series, etc.

Right now it's retro style side scrollers like Capsized and Who's That Flying.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Diane_Windsor

Senior Contributor
Jun 29, 2004
✟27,907.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I can't decide on my absolute favorite because there are so many to choose from. The Zelda games, Mario Brothers, Dr. Mario, Tetris, Kid Icarus, Castlevania, Mike Tyson's Punchout!, and Metroid to name a few. I love the old NES games because that's the system I grew up on.

I'm currently hooked on a card game for the DS. I absolutely am addicted to Sevens on it.

Upvote 0