Young girl couldn't take it anymore, so...

Inkachu

Bursting with fruit flavor!
Jan 31, 2008
Somewhere between Rivendell and Rohan
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Alright then, you can teach your kids to fight back, I'll teach my future kids to act with self-control in all situations. God bless.

Your sarcasm is really uncalled for. Saying "God bless" at the end of a snarky comment is especially unappreciated.

Never did I say that I would teach my kid to fight back as a first response, or as the best response. If you'd read my replies in this thread, you'd know that I've repeatedly said that all other options should be explored first; going to tell an adult, confronting the bully without using physical force, walking away to see if they give up and leave you alone. But if someone is beating the tar out of a child, that child has every right to punch or kick or shove back as a last resort in order to defend themselves.

FWIW I was bullied as a kid, relentlessly, for many years, so I know what I'm talking about. My son, thankfully, has never had an issue with being bullied. Of course he's had the occasional spat with another kid, and I always tell him to go to his teacher immediately and not take it into his own hands. BUT if he were cornered by someone who was harassing him relentlessly, and won't leave him alone, and there's no adult available or willing to step in, yes he has every right to physically keep himself SAFE.

Upvote 0

contango

...and you shall live...
Jul 9, 2010
Sometimes here, sometimes there
✟16,996.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Bullies bully because they want to see you react. They want to see anger, pain, misery e.t.c. You only give them what they want when you react to them. Exercising self control by walking away is the greatest form of self-defence you can implore in this situation. She showed her weakness(anger) by fighting, now they know she is capable of this reaction, next time, they may be more prepared for her. Like I said before, she was lucky things ended this way, it wouldn't always end this way if she keeps reacting like this. Let's stop preaching violence. As christians God's methods are always best. Walking away would have shown self-control and maturity, most of all it would have shown obedience to God.

Not so in my experience.

When I was in school we had a guy in my class who was very good at turning the entire class against an individual. Most people would go along with him because they didn't want to be on his list. I wouldn't go along with him so it was only a matter of time before his attention turned on me. I took it for a time, then he pushed me over the line and I turned and thumped him. Seeing the abject fear in his eyes made it very clear he had no strength to resist, and seeing the bully put in his place made it clear to the rest of the class that they would be well advised to side with me rather than him. Almost overnight the bullying stopped. Not only that but because the class had seen that the bully wasn't the big bad dude everyone previously thought, he didn't even move onto someone else.

I'm not interested in violence, it's certainly not something I'd use as a matter of routine. But when you're one person against more than a dozen you either take a massive beating or you come out fighting. If you come out fighting you may still get a beating, but if you just stand there and take it there's no doubt.

Upvote 0

Avniel

Doing my part each day by being the best me
Jun 11, 2010
Bronx NYC
✟39,141.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Christians are peaceful, never violent. Sure we can intervene, as long as it's in a peaceful manner (i.e. telling someone to stop, guarding the other person etc.).

Did Jesus not say sell your clothes and buy a sword?
Or did he ever tear up a temple?

Name 5 bible changes of importance that took place without violence I can name several the most important being brought on by a violent act. We today are on a spiritual battle field that is very violent.

Upvote 0

Kayeliz

Oct 5, 2012
✟16,710.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Sorry, but I totally disagree, and I speak from experience. It's true that some bullies may want retribution for a victim who tries to fight back, but the rule of human behavior is that an attacker is always more likely to back down if their victim tries to fight back or defend themselves. It's the truth and there is no getting around that. Many a child has been bullied into depression, self-harm, and even suicide, by just "walking away" and suffering inexplicable pain inside over months or even years.

No one here is "preaching violence". We're preaching protection and defense of the innocent, and only after all other options have been exhausted (at least, that's how I see it).

I completely agree with you. I was bullied throughout my school time. As we later learned, the pastor of our village had spread rumours that we were in a cult. By the time we learned where the rumours came from, I was close to moving away from home. We woould walk to the bus stop in the morning and the other kids said "Ewww, the *** family is coming!" Every day we had to spend 45 minutes on the bus with them, twice - on the way to school and on the way back from school. I began to self-injure and did that for over ten years. Today my arms are covered in layers of scars, my lower arms have no healthy skin left. I was anorexic for over ten years, I spent quite a bit of time in psychiatric hospitals, I was suicidal and today I have anxiety, chronic migraine and social phobia. Christians told me to turn the other cheek and never to fight bac and I did. I became a victim and the other kids loved it because it seemed to confirm the rumours. We were weird. We just took everything they threw at us. They never stopped. My sister's husband even had to listen to people saying bad stuff when they started dating because he loved a girl from that weird family.

In 2010, my parents' house was partially destroyed by a fire. At that point, rumours didn't matter. People helped them and got to know them better and realized that my family was quite normal and that those rumours weren't true. Life in that village is good for my parents now, they are involved, they have friends. But it was too late for me.

On the other hand, I know someone who is extremely peaceful and, if he can, will always choose to walk away. But one time as a kid, he had too much. He was 13 and was being bullied by three older guys. It had been going on for a long time. One day he saw red and hit them back. Not enough to really injure them, but enough for them to be shocked and to realize they couldn't just do that to him. They never did it again.

I think becoming a bully yourself is wrong. But today I also think that it is important to make it stop. That might need to happen in different ways, depending on the situation. But I wouldn't teach my future kids to just take every bs people throw at them, never say anything and be the victim. I know from experience that eventually, you believe you're scum, you internalize it, you begin to feel that the others are probably right because they keep tellig you you're worthless. When I eventually became suicidal, I didn't really want to die, but I didn't see a reason to live. I was too worthless to live. And because Christians had kept telling me God didn't want me to stop it, I felt like God wanted me to feel like a worthless piece of s***. I thought maybe I was treated that way because that's what God thought of me. And I would never want my future children to go through that. Standing up for yourself doesn't mean you have to really hurt the bullies or do your best to destroy their lives. It means that you know nobody has the right to treat you that way and you stand up for that and tell people they mustn't do that and you try to make it stop. That is not taking revenge.

Upvote 0

Inkachu

Bursting with fruit flavor!
Jan 31, 2008
Somewhere between Rivendell and Rohan
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Kayeliz, I'm so sorry you went through all that, sweetheart. NO child should ever have to feel worthless or despised. I know what you went through.

And what people who have never been truly bullied (dealing with an occasional jerk is NOT the same as relentless bullying for months or years on end) don't seem to grasp is that, the bully doesn't CARE about anything other than having a weak, defenseless outlet for his/her own anger and viciousness. Walking away doesn't deter them. Being quiet doesn't deter them. It only CONFIRMS that they have a safe and easy outlet to unleash all their pent-up violence upon. It won't fight back. It won't defend itself. It's a perfect target.

NO child should ever be told that they have to endure abuse. We wouldn't tell a child to endure sexual abuse or physical abuse from an adult, would we? Why do we tell children to endure it from other children? It's WRONG.

Upvote 0

asiyreh

God is salvation
Mar 14, 2012
Ireland
✟9,457.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Ultimately I would say that Christ would guide us to ways of peace and prayer. Depending on God to repay the crimes against his people.

However now I'm just saying as a person. Not necessarily as a Christian I have found opening up a can of whip... either verbally or if necessary physically can get the job done.

I spent years being bully in primary school. (junior school)
When I went to secondary school all the bullies from my junior school had gone to other schools it was great a new lease of life.
I can't begin to describe the sense of freedom, no fear it was great.

About 6 months in I'm running through the playground and o no... I bumped into a guy by accident that was beginning to make a bit of a reputation as a school bully. He began to push me - .... are you at... pushing me. Calling me the same things, all the memories of fear began flooding back.

Then boom - poor kid got seven years worth of fear and intimidation

Nobody turned a word in my mouth for at least 4 years.

Upvote 0
K

Kingsdotter

Name 5 bible changes of importance that took place without violence I can name several the most important being brought on by a violent act. We today are on a spiritual battle field that is very violent.

Here are a few changes of importance that took place without violence:

- The Conception of Jesus by the power of the Holy Spirit

- The birth of Jesus Christ

- The coming of the Holy Spirit

- The giving of Gifts by the Holy Spirit

- The Institution of the Holy Eucharist

- The Resurrection

- The Ascention

Upvote 0

Lovely Jar

Pray Out Loud
Jun 24, 2013
✟2,238.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is an appointed time for everything. And there is a time for every event under heaven -- A time to give birth and a time to die; A time to plant and a time to uproot what is planted. A time to kill and a time to heal; A time to tear down and a time to build up. A time to weep and a time to laugh; A time to mourn and a time to dance. A time to throw stones and a time to gather stones; A time to embrace and a time to shun embracing. A time to search and a time to give up as lost; A time to keep and a time to throw away. A time to tear apart and a time to sew together; A time to be silent and a time to speak. A time to love and a time to hate; A time for war and a time for peace.
- Ecclesiastes 3:1-8

Upvote 0

jjust19

Jun 5, 2013
QLD, Australia
✟7,836.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

So are you condoning violence? Are you basically saying that as Christians, we should not just spiritually battle, but physically hurt other people?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Avniel

Doing my part each day by being the best me
Jun 11, 2010
Bronx NYC
✟39,141.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Here are a few changes of importance that took place without violence:

- The Conception of Jesus by the power of the Holy Spirit

- The birth of Jesus Christ

- The coming of the Holy Spirit

- The giving of Gifts by the Holy Spirit

- The Institution of the Holy Eucharist

- The Resurrection

- The Ascention
3 on the list didn't lead to eventual violence

Upvote 0
K

Kingsdotter

3 on the list didn't lead to eventual violence

I don't think it matters if any the events I stated earlier led to violence eventually, on their own they are significant events. Here are more:

- The Announciation

- Baptism of the Holy Spirit

- The Birth of John the Baptist

- The conversion of the Disciples

- The first miracle at the wedding in Cana.

- The Transfiguration

- The coming of the Kingdom of God/heaven.

Upvote 0