United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Nothing (rhema) is impossible with God.

God sets limits on His creation..those limits being Laws of Physics.
He set limits so utter chaos would not reign.
How can God break those limits and still be perfect?

Reactions: RickG
Upvote 0

Jamin4422

Jul 5, 2012
✟3,349.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
In Relationship
Worm holes do not increase the speed of an object,it decreases the distance that object has to travel.
That is what they say. Worm holes for me are like optic fibers. The point is worm holes is the current theory on how to travel the universe. Warp speed is no longer considered to be a valid scientific theory. It would appear that the scientists at CERN have been discredited. From what people are trying to tell me here in this thread.

Upvote 0

KhaosTheory

Oct 27, 2011
✟828.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Jamin is correct. It is very possible to go faster than light under certain conditions. general relativity does actually allow this and we've seen it in quantum tunneling.

Schrödinger helped us understand this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_tunnelling

Upvote 0

Jamin4422

Jul 5, 2012
✟3,349.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
In Relationship
God sets limits on His creation..those limits being Laws of Physics.
He set limits so utter chaos would not reign.
How can God break those limits and still be perfect?
No one ever said God breaks those limits. That is why I included the Greek word: "Rhema" So really in this context what Gabrial was telling Mary is that the Laws of God or the Word of God can not be broken. If God says it, then He will watch over what He said to perform and do what He says He is going to do. Kenneth Hagin talks a lot about the Rhema of God is you want to learn more.

Or as Brian Cox says it is only a law if you can put in on the front of a T shirt. Just as you can only get funding if you can explain it to a politician.

Upvote 0

freezerman2000

Living and dying in 3/4 time
Feb 24, 2011
South Carolina
✟39,130.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You just stated that God can do anything, and now you say he doesn't break his own limits.
The "universe's speed limit" is one of those limits.
If He set laws for His creation, then broke those same laws, I'm not sure I would want to follow Him..He would not be trustworthy.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jamin4422

Jul 5, 2012
✟3,349.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
In Relationship
Do some research first, then get back to me.I'll stand by my statement.FTL is impossible,
The thing is CERN needs to figure it out. They need to get their facts straight. Perhaps you can tell me what their official statement is this week and if they plan to change it after lunch to say just the opposite. You know the Bible does not change. It is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow. If Moses said it 3500 years ago, then it is all still true today.

You keep asking me to tell you what science has to say about something. But it is next to impossible to pin them down as to what science has to say about anything. They keep changing their story.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

freezerman2000

Living and dying in 3/4 time
Feb 24, 2011
South Carolina
✟39,130.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The thing is CERN needs to figure it out. They need to get their facts straight. Perhaps you can tell me what their official statement is this week and if they plan to change it after lunch to say just the opposite. You know the Bible does not change. It is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow. If Moses said it 3500 years ago, then it is all still true today.

You keep asking me to tell you what science has to say about something. But it is next to impossible to pin them down as to what science has to say about anything. They keep changing their story.

CERN Press Office
I see nothing here where they "have to get their facts straight".
I suppose you are talking about a miscalculation they made, figured out they had made that miscalculation and fixed it?
So what? They at least didn't cover it up.
How many people have died because religion had something wrong?

Upvote 0

The Engineer

I defeated Dr Goetz
Jul 29, 2012
✟8,423.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Of course it is possible to go faster then the speed of light and that has been proven. The problem is the huge amount of energy needed. There is a huge amount of energy required to go that fast.
You don't need huge amounts of energy. You need infinite energy just to reach the exact speed of light.

Except when quantum mechanics kick in, but I've mentioned that below.

Nothing (rhema) is impossible with God.
With this claim, you can justify ANY believe. It won't convince someone who doesn't believe in God, though.

It would appear that the scientists at CERN have been discredited. From what people are trying to tell me here in this thread.
I've never heard they were discredited.

Jamin is correct. It is very possible to go faster than light under certain conditions. general relativity does actually allow this and we've seen it in quantum tunneling.
As you said, it is possible under certain conditions, but I highly doubt these conditions exist in space. Why would all the light in the universe mysteriously quantum tunnel towards earth? Why does the light in space quantum tunnel, whereas the light of your flash light does not?

I give you a point, quantum tunneling is faster than light (or at least appears to be; don't know what a physicist would say about that). But that doesn't mean light quantum tunneling towards us for no apparent reason is a plausible explanation.

Upvote 0

Doveaman

Re-Created, Not Evolved.
Mar 4, 2009
✟77,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hello, christianforums.

I'd like to know how old you think the earth, and the universe, is. Do you agree with the young earth hypothesis, or do you believe, as I do, that the earth is several billions of years old?
According to scientists the earth appears to be several billion years old, but according to Genesis 1 the earth's present biosphere appears to be only a few thousand years old.

So we are living on an old earth with a young biosphere.

Upvote 0

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
Decay rate does not offer evidence of anything. If you go faster then the speed of light then decay rate will increase also.

So, too, would the energy released from those decays. The heat generated by cramming 4.5 billion years of decay into 6,000 years would melt the Earth into slag. Life would be impossible.

Creationists are also arguing against themselves on this topic. They claim that if the physical constants were any different than what they are then life would not exist. This is the fine tuning argument that creationists are so fond of. When radiometric dating is brought up they argue the exact OPPOSITE. They claim that these same physical laws that are required for the existence of life were DIFFERENT in the past.

So which is it?

The universe could be 6,000 years old and still have a decay rate of 4.5 billion years.

Such a universe would produce different evidence that what we observe. Faster decay rates in the past would show up in the observation of distant stars since the same forces involved in decay are also involved in every atomic interaction. Instead, all of our observations of distant stars demonstrate the same constant physical forces of which there are four: electromagnetic, weak, strong, and gravity.

The only reason that creationists claim that decay rates changed in the past is that they need them to be different. This is not the case with science. We have EVIDENCE that these decay rates have remained constant. It is not an assumption. It is a conclusion drawn from evidence.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
According to scientists the earth appears to be several billion years old,

No. According to the EVIDENCE, the Earth is 4.55 billion years old.

but according to Genesis 1 the earth's present biosphere appears to be only a few thousand years old.

That is falsified by the evidence.

Not according to the evidence.

Upvote 0

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
According to scientists the earth appears to be several billion years old, but according to Genesis 1 the earth's present biosphere appears to be only a few thousand years old.

Genesis 1 (or anywhere else) does not give the age of the earth or of the biosphere.

Upvote 0

Doveaman

Re-Created, Not Evolved.
Mar 4, 2009
✟77,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Actually, assuming that radioactive decay is always occurring at the same rate is a logical assumption
As long as we agree that it's an assumption and not a fact, that's fine.
unless you have counter-evidence.
The counter evidence would be lack of evidence of the decay rate in the earth's past.

Upvote 0

Jamin4422

Jul 5, 2012
✟3,349.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
In Relationship
http://press.web.cern.ch/press/
I suppose you are talking about a miscalculation they made
I am talking about one week they say you CAN go fast then the speed of light and the next week they say a gage was not working right and it turns out that you can NOT go faster then the speed of light. They spent all the money to figure it out, so it is up to them to tell us.

Upvote 0

Doveaman

Re-Created, Not Evolved.
Mar 4, 2009
✟77,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Genesis 1 (or anywhere else) does not give the age of the earth or of the biosphere.
It tells us that the present biosphere is much more recent than the planet itself.

"Now the earth was formless and empty...Then God said, 'Let there be...
[biosphere]'" - (Gen 1:2-31).

Young biosphere created on an old planet.

Upvote 0