Pennsylvania
✟936.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I go to a non-christian college. I don't exactly consider it a non-christian environment, though. I believe college is what you make of it. I went to church every Sunday, made many Christian friends and even went to occasional Christian group meetings. Yes, college is very open about everything...including Christianity. There are so many Christian groups, clubs and people. Your daughter won't be alone in her faith. Yes, temptation will be there to do other things, but that's unavoidable no matter what school one attends. I hope that helps a little!

Upvote 0

emmzee

Oct 3, 2004
Ontario Canada
Visit site
✟7,930.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Two recommendations ... as Jasmine mentioned, Christian clubs (like Campus for Christ (formerly "Campus Crusade for Christ") or InterVarsity) are great groups that she can join, and give her an instant network of new friends and support when she arrives on campus.

Secondly, if she doesn't already, she needs to understand why she believes. If she hasn't had to face objections/arguments from non-Christians before, it's likely she'll encounter them at college. A good introductory book is Lee Strobel's "Case for Christ". (And still good but not quite as well done is his "Case for Faith".) Don't try to force her to read this stuff but I'd suggest explaining to her why it's important to know why she believes.

Also, don't fear secular college as being an unavoidably bad influence. Just look at my example: I went to university as an agnostic, knew nothing about Christianity (except how to make snide remarks about it!) and had never been to church before in my life ... I came out a Christian, and have now almost completed my seminary degree! :D

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
emmzzee's got it right. There are around 40 Christian groups at the local university where I'm from, so if one group doesn't seem like a good fit, there's probably another to try. The number will vary of course, and there are colleges with very few Christians, but they can always get together through Facebook if they can't be found through more traditional methods. Also, I was involved with Christian Challenge (another good group) and while there were only "official" chapters at two local colleges, we had members who went to a couple other smaller schools in the area. There WILL be Christians in the area where she will be attending school, this isn't a persecuted country. She's just got to find them. In addition to Facebook, there are fairs for student organizations, flyers, the Student Life office, etc.

And about apologetics - it's very important. A good campus ministry will put her in touch with leaders who know answers and resources for answers to the many challenging questions she'll run into. Books, too. The first couple of chapters for "Case For Christ" demolished a handful of arguments I had previously found intimidating. I actually like that better than "Case For Faith," though that is another good read. If she's armed with answers, she won't be intimidated into leaving the faith, at least from an intellectual standpoint. And if she's with a good student ministry, she won't be tempted into leaving it from the fun standpoint.

Upvote 0

Julianna

Jun 11, 2007
✟7,666.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you so much, jasmine88, emmzee, and twisted sketch, for sharing your experiences. InterVarsity is a wonderful organization, and our son has grown so much in his faith through this group, he is now a senior in college. Sadly, they don't have InterVarsity (or any other Christian group that I can see) at this particular college that our daughter will be attending. Blech. Yet, I know God can still work, God can still move, even in these places.
Emmzee, I would love to hear your story...do you have it posted anywhere? Thank you so much, everyone! This is my first post, and I am so pleased to have gotten such a quick and encouraging response!

Upvote 0

arunma

Flaming Calvinist
Apr 29, 2004
✟19,415.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
My daughter will be attending a non-Christian college in September. I am concerned, but not without hope. For those of you in a similar situation, can you give me your story and some encouragement of how God worked in your life, despite being in a non-Christian environment? Thanks!

I went to a non-Christian, public college. Now I'm going to a non-Christian, public graduate school. My experience has been great. In fact I became a Christian in college. Most college campuses have many churches nearby, and as others have mentioned, there are many campus ministries. Most of the evangelical churches on campus will likely have campus ministries as well, so there are plenty of opportunities for your daughter to become involved. The funny thing about college is that while people have a great diversity of interests, almost all college students are very active and involved in campus life. Evangelical Christians tend to become involved in campus ministry, so the Christian fellowship is just as fruitful as at a Christian university.

Based on my own experience, I'd say that the most important thing for your daughter to do would be to get connected to a church as soon as possible. I think that small group fellowship is highly important for Christian college students, since this is the first time they're away from family.

Well, I hope I've been somewhat helpful!

Upvote 0

Riis

Oct 10, 2006
Brisbane - more or less
✟8,212.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm currently at university which I'm gonna assume is just the Australian version of college ... I didn't even consider going to a Christian uni - for no other reason then the best nursing college in Australia is within an hour from where I live and is not a Christian university- I haven't had a problem I have made some fantastic Christian friends I love Uni and I've joined a Christian group on campus that go around a witness to others. Frankly my faith has never been stronger and I'm learning so much about evangelism and sharing my faith that I would never have had the opportunity to learn had I been at the Christian uni. I've never even found much temptation in the whole partying scene that accompanies university but that would vary for other people. However you should know that I've never been short of christian friends and support and it's been a great learning experience for me.

Upvote 0

Julianna

Jun 11, 2007
✟7,666.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You have been most helpful, arunma and riis, thank you so much for your thoughts. It is so very encouraging to me to hear how your faith has grown, even in a non-Christian environment. I agree that church, small groups and Christian fellowship are key. My prayer is that my dear daughter find such a place. Thank you again, and may God continue to richly bless all of you!

Reactions: mj806
Upvote 0

Seeker of the Truth

Walking is harding than Talking.
Aug 20, 2006
Georgia
✟10,243.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I see that you've been encourage, but I fell like posting so here goes:

I go to a secular university, but I've met many Christian friends here whom have been a great influence in my first year (and will continue to be). I have, if anything, become stronger in my faith.

Have faith in your daughter; if you know her heart is well, be comforted. I've fallen many times in my first year away at college, but I've learned the most about God's grace and His forgiveness.

This is probably the best situation for your daughter as she'll learn to deal with non-believers (as the majority of the world is) and be able to handle temptations.

Well, be comforted and don't worry. :)

Upvote 0

emmzee

Oct 3, 2004
Ontario Canada
Visit site
✟7,930.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Julianna, glad to help! :) My story is up here, though it's going to be going up on a bunch of Campus Crusade sites in August :o It's nothing spectacular per se, no more than when anyone who knew nothing about God comes to know the Lord :)

http://www.emmzee.com/mystory/

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
M

Marycita

I know that people have already said some great things..but I wanna put my two cents in..

I go to a non-Christian school...and honestly, it's just life, I mean, we live in a non-christian world if you think about it.

But anyway - in addition to what others have said...I really think it can strengthen you. I happen to go to a school where theater and music are very big...and we have not many guys, but many, if not most of the guys are homosexual...it really has helped me to examine what Jesus would want me to do and how he would want me to handle all of it...and diversity in general...that is a great growing experience as well.

Upvote 0

Boss_BlueAngels

Life is better when you're flying upside down.
Jul 19, 2005
Seattle
Visit site
✟14,326.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe college is what you make of it.

Totally true. This really depends on so many variables. Personally I have had to live with some rather, um, "interesting" folks in my college adventure but it was certainly nothing I couldn't handle. I also have been blessed with the conficence to say "no" every single day to the same questions by the same people. I too attended several Christian clubs on campus and was very active in reading my Bible. I find I learned more about God and what it is to be a Christian at a secular university than I ever have in church or any place else. It was incredible!

Upvote 0

BeautifulDestiny09

Feb 16, 2007
Cleveland Ohio
Visit site
✟15,514.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think that going to a non-Christian University can be a great experience, just as going to a Christian University can be. I never looked at it as a non-christian University...In fact I didn't even consider a christian university until perhaps a year ago, when trying to figure out schools to transfer to. Like the others said, there are so many opportunities to meet other believers through churches (in our city, several churches have vans that pick students up and take them to church on Sundays!), campus ministries, and its also a chance for her light to shine as she comes in contact with many different types of people. Your faith does get tested, you get tempted...but I see it as no different from any other environment. It is all about making the best of college, so good luck to her daughter, she's in for the time of her life!

Upvote 0

Mr.Cheese

Legend
Apr 14, 2002
✟21,948.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Honestly a person will find what they're looking for whether it is a "Christian" college or not.
I've been to a couple of christian colleges and the only difference is in the christian college everyone pretends to be good while the secular college no one cares.
There will be on campus ministries. At least at a secular college a person won't feel compelled to get involved in order to keep up appearances. I find that liberating.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

hiddentears37

Aug 24, 2007
✟7,660.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
i agree with a lot of the other people. Campus ministries and groups are a really good thing. Navs is one that is at my non-christian college. It's been around for quite a while. Also if she can find a church around the college, they might have some programs for christian college students if the college doesn't have any.

The biggest thing though i think is the people that you choose to surround your self with. if you hang out with people that party a lot it's a whole lot easier to get sucked into that. But if you hang around with people that aren't into that it is really a whole lot easier to avoid that environment.

Upvote 0