• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

You don't have to bleed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Porcelain

Oct 4, 2005
✟117.00
Faith
Christian
Hey guys, I wanted to share with you a song I found a few days ago that has really helped me. It's by ZOEgirl, maybe you've heard of them. Anyways, it's called "Scream", and it's about cutting. I've listened to ZOEgirl before, but I found out about this song through Brio Magazine. I was moved to tears by the article and song because I feel like they describe so much of what I've felt. Here's the article if anyone's interested, I hope it brings you as much encouragement as it did to me:

You've seen her. You may know her. You might even be her- the Christian girl who seems to have it all together but is silently struggling with a deep, dark, and destructive secret. This girl totally loves God. Serves others. Makes decent grades. Has good friends. Most people would look at her and think, Hey what could be wrong?

Well, most people would be surprised. At least ZOEgirl was. We recently talked with Alisa, Kristin, and Chrissy about their album Room to Breathe, and how the Lord has been giving them opportunities to build relationships and get real with teen girls. "On tour we got to meet a lot of girls at concerts but could really only shake hands and then go our separate ways," Chrissy remembers. "We didn't get to spend much time with them."

That is until ZOEgirl started going on missions trips with Brio. "That's when we were really able to get to know the girls who listen to our music," Alisa says. "As team leaders on these trips so many girls opened up to us and shared with us some pretty heavy things they were going through- things like secret drug and alcohol abuse, eating disorders, depression, and most alarming, self-injury, or cutting- things you'd never dream girls like these who have strong, living and active relationships with Christ, would struggle with. That was a total eye-opener."

These converstions not only opened the three ladies' eyes to the truth that many godly girls are hurting and purposely involved in self-destructive behavior, but it also inspired the way ZOEgirl wrote for their albums from that point on. Room to Breathe is a great example of songs that go deeper to the heart of real struggles and issues such as "Scream."

"Cutting is something I couldn't understand at first," Alisa admits. "I prayed for the longest time and talked to people who struggled, because I really wanted to know the motivation for something like this. I've just started to share this publicly, but I've struggled a lot in my life with depression. I received Jesus when I was 5 and have lived a passionate life for Him. But the one thing that would always come on me was this heavy depression, so that at times I couldn't get out of bed."

"About a year ago, I was having a really bad day. But instead of turning inward with self-destructive behavior such as raiding the fridge or becoming reclusive, I thought I'd just pour my heart out in a song. I knew so many girls who had cut themselves that I soon began to sing and think specifically about a few of them. I prayed that God would give me something for these girls."

The song "Scream" is Alisa's hearfelt response to all that the Lord began to reveal to her about the serious issue of cutting. "What I learned is that we all have deep, dark stuff we don't know how to deal with, like abuse, neglect, divorce- anything we may have gone through that causes so much pain. Sometimes we're afraid to bring up these feelings to church because we think we should have it all together. So, for some people these struggles get pushed inward. More and more young people are using cutting as way to self-medicate or distract themselves from the enormous pain, guilt and shame they face."

In her book A Bright Red Scream, journalist Marilee Strong reveals that approximately 2 million Americans are believed to cut themselves. She writes, "Cutters are often very sensitive, very creative. They are often perfectionists, people who put high demands on themselves. [They'll use] anything sharp to turn their ulterior emotional pain into something undeniably physical."

But why? Is a young girl is already hurting, why would she inflict more pain on herself? Some cutters say they experience a form of release from overwhelming emotions. An escape. Cutting allows them to pinpoint the pain into something manageable and gives them the feeling of being in control of uncontrollable emotions. But really, cutting is sometimes a cry for help- a way of saying Please see me, please hear me.

ZOEgirl gets it. The lyrics to "Scream" reveal the troubled thoughts of someone in the depths of this struggle.

Do I have to scream for you to hear me?
Do I have to bleed for you to see me?
'Cause I grieve you're not listening to me
Do I need to scream?

Sadly, any form of release from cutting is only temporary. The good news is, there is hope, and ZOEgirl gets that too, and offers it in this song. "Reminding these girls that God sees and cares is what 'Scream' is all about,"Chrissy says. "We believe the only way to bring healing to this area is to help the person understand that Jesus bled so you don't have to. He called out to God in agony so you don't have to. He asked, 'My God, why have you forsaken Me?' so that none of us will ever have to ask that question."

There's a little more to this article, but I don't have time to post it right now. You can download the song for 99 cents on iTunes or the whole album for $10. Anywho, I really hope you guys get a chance to hear it...I think it could really help. God Bless.

jesuschickseven

God's Soldier in the U.S. Army
Dec 12, 2005
✟7,768.00
Faith
Christian
That's awesome...I hadn't heard of that song thanks
I'm glad that cutting is getting more out into the open. The only way that the numbers of SIs will ever go down is by people addressing the problem and helping each other find ways to get their emotions out before they turn to self-harm. I especially think parents in America need to be more aware because many kids who cut are good at hiding it and having naive parents doesn't help.

Upvote 0

Tenebrae

A follower of The Way
Sep 30, 2005
floating in the ether, never been happier
Visit site
✟33,648.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
jesuschickseven said:
That's awesome...I hadn't heard of that song thanks
I'm glad that cutting is getting more out into the open. The only way that the numbers of SIs will ever go down is by people addressing the problem and helping each other find ways to get their emotions out before they turn to self-harm. I especially think parents in America need to be more aware because many kids who cut are good at hiding it and having naive parents doesn't help.
In new zealand, the though processes in professional circles still is, that to talk about this stuff in the open will encourage copycats and people who self harm for the first time and the like

I agree somewhat but on a much bigger way disagree. People in our society are self harming and trying and suceeding at suicide, ebcause they believe that no one around them would understand what they are feeling. How the discussion happens in my opinion, would need to be carefully done, because there is the danger that talk would cause copycatting. But I believe that its essential we create a society where this stuff is out in the opne and not taboo. Its just a matter as to how to do it

Upvote 0

teffie

Sep 25, 2005
SYDNAY!!
✟16,813.00
Faith
Christian
yeah you almost got me crying. im shivering allover. that song is hitting home, and i only managed to hear like 10seconds of it. it is...honestly...inspiring a song in me....so thank you so...SO much for this. its wonderful and your heart is in the right place in showing us this.....

Upvote 0

jesuschickseven

God's Soldier in the U.S. Army
Dec 12, 2005
✟7,768.00
Faith
Christian
Bringing things out into the open is not going to encourage copycats. Teenagers already know about this and younger kids as well. I don't know when the last time was that you were in a public highschool but trust me all the "kids" know its the adults who need informing / the parents and teachers and aunts and uncles.
Cutting comes from the devil and he can place it in anyones mind without the help of anyone else. Someone who has never heard of it before is just as likely to "think about it" and do it, and it will be worse for them because they will think they are a "freak" and completely alone.
Oh and I do plan to run for congress :) after I finish my term of service in the Army and age up a little.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.