Dec 18, 2005
✟34,309.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I must say I don't know much about Pighius. I only looked him up rather quickly, and the Catholic Encyclopedia said that he only thought that "original sin was the sin of Adam put onto each child at birth." That sounds Semi-Pelagian (where people are "soul-sick," but can still come to God). However, I must admit ignorance as to the details. I must say that his views on original sin are certainly different than Arminius's or my own.
To Calvinists Arminius is essentially the equivalent of Phigius because the present state of human beings is the same. To Arminius we were sent into some inability, yet now we are given enough grace to cooperate with God -- that is, we're brought up from the dead, but still "sick with sin" to where we'll "die twice" if we don't believe.

The problem for Calvin and really for the western church is that every scheme, arminianism, pelagianism, semi-pelagianism, Roman quarto-pelagianism -- they really are the Pelagian path to enlightenment, with some frontend work performed by God to get us on that Pelagian path.

The Pelagian path can't be true. It raises us all, dusts us off, and then leaves us to our own devices. We're not powerful enough to do this, even "dusted off". Sin is just as capable as it was. And we are just as incapable as Adam was of fending it off for eternity.
The Synods of Dort says disbelief is in man (as I would affirm), and that it is his fault alone. Yet, in the very next article it states that whether you have belief or not is through the eternal decree of God. It can't be both.
It has to be both. If God decreed otherwise, it couldn't be the case!

Look, our entire existence is by God's decree, purpose, causation, and science. That whole thing is a decree. God says it, and it happens. That's a decree.
I have heard a Calvinist interpretation saying that the "all" refers all different types of people, and I maintain that you can see that if you are a Calvinist first and then read the passage.
It's not rocket science to break open what "all" means in a different language and context. It's not so much your skepticism that I care about; it's whether it fits the language at the time.

It's grammatically simple. "all" is an adjective. It refers to the scope declared in the sentence or phrase.

Its usage is simple. "all" is not technically comprehensive in common Greek any more than it is comprehensive in any other common verbal usage. Someone saying "I love you all" to an audience doesn't express a real love for that budding Hitler in the balcony.

I've pointed it out to another, too, that if you really believed this, you would have zero time to argue the point. "First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people, 2 for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way." If this meant praying for each and every person individually and comprehensively, and that were the primary instruction of Paul, then you've got quite a task, which doesn't extend to arguing with me over the meaning of this word. Paul's set for you a task above all others -- to individually and specifically pray for each and every person on the planet. If you really believed all that you have no time for this discussion.

Finally, "all" is constantly used in Greek to indicate "whole". It simply is.

Upvote 0

heymikey80

Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum viditur
Dec 18, 2005
✟34,309.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Christ says in John 8:44 that Satan is a "murderer" and "father of lies." I therefore conclude that Satan is the source of all evil, and that is why in the end evil will be triumphed over because it is inherently inferior to good, being not created by God.
Who created Satan?
I John 2:2 says "And he is the propitation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world." Unless if you are concluding that creation sins in some manner, then it must mean that Christ died for the sins of the whole world as in people. Furthermore, the word in the Greek "Kosmos," means (according to Strong's) "...orderly arrangement. i.e. decoration, by impl. the world (in a wide or narrow sense, incl. its inhab.,
lit. or fig. [mor.])-adorning, world."

In context, the verse seems to have the same implications of the whole people.
From my point of view, it is indeed creation as a whole. "Hamartia" is simply "mark-missing", or its source, corruption. Romans 8 points out that creation awaits its redemption. And so creation needs redeeming.

And there are other views, related to context. But that's the view I hold of John's use of "world" here.

And clearly it's not comprehensive, because Jesus does not propitiate for the whole world. If He's the propitiation for it, he's not propitiating -- which would mean an incomplete propitiation. Yet John says Jesus is the propitiation. Is Jesus' propitiation not propitiation, or is it really propitiation, but to a specific purpose (and no other)? Calvinism answers the latter. Arminianism answers the former.
Romans 9 is talking about the national election of physical Israel for the purposes of delivering the Messiah. Many in the Early Church wondered why Israel was chosen for this duty when they ultimately rejected the Messiah, and Paul is telling them that it was done in God's infinite wisdom, and who are we to question it.
Paul's hypothetical questioner doesn't ask the question about nations. He asks the question about individuals. Paul doesn't sidestep that question. Nor does Paul respond, "No, you've got it all wrong, I'm talking about nations, not individuals."

Remember, Paul gets to phrase the question, too. So Paul's intentionally answering the question about individuals.

So Romans 9 definitely addresses individuals.
Now you're taking verses out of context.
I object.

I quoted:
If the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, he who raised Christ Jesus from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit who dwells in you.
For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, 39nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Rom 8:11,38-39
and you said: "Paul is talking to, and about, those who have already accepted the calling from God. He is not saying that God irrestibly chose non-believers to become believers."

So I quoted what was in between those verses!
Those He predestined, He called. Those He called, He justified.
That is not out of context. That is flatly, grammatically, rhetorically, and to the subject in context.
God foreknew people, and then predestinated them to be "conformed to the image of his Son..." Exactly what Arminians believe. God predestined those He foreknew to be believers to be saved. He called them along with the rest of the world, and they responded unlike the rest.
Yeah. He says those He called He justified. Are you saying He didn't justify those He called?

Why would Paul say He called those He predestined, then, if God's calling everyone? It'd be a "no-brainer" if this simply meant the same as "Call all to salvation." And that assumption would slap Paul in the face of coherence if "those He called He justified."

No, the problem at this point is your mistaken view of Calvinistic calling.

Two calls.
General call.
Internal call.
But five-point Calvinists, as you portray yourself to be, believe one of the two following systems (from Spurgeon.org):

Supralapsarianism (High Calvinism)

1. [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]
    [*]Elect some, reprobate rest
    [*]Create
    [*]Permit Fall
    [*]Provide salvation for elect
    [*]Call elect to salvation
    [/FONT]
Infralapsarianism

[*]Create
    [*]Permit Fall
    [*]Elect some, pass over the rest
    [*]Provide salvation for elect
    [*]Call elect to salvation
    [/FONT]
The call is for the elect in Calvinism, because the atonement is limited. If God only provided an atonement sufficient for the elect (as you maintain), the call to the non-elect is worthless. If you are a four-point Calvinist, you can maintain that the call is for all, but only the elect will respond, but four-point Calvinism is difficult to defend philosophically and theologically because it is a compromise between two systems. Calvinism is a system of interpreting scripture, and so is Arminianism. I just think Arminianism is more consistent and requires less explanations in scripture than Calvinism.

BTW, here is a decent summary of Arminian view of the decrees (but not perfect) from the same site:

[*]Create
    [*]Permit Fall
    [*]Provide salvation for all
    [*]Call all to salvation
    [*]Elect those who believe
    [/FONT]
Yeah, you missed it.

Two calls. The internal call is to salvation. The general call is not effective to salvation, so it is not in the order of salvation per se.

Upvote 0

nate895

May 26, 2009
✟7,682.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
To Calvinists Arminius is essentially the equivalent of Phigius because the present state of human beings is the same. To Arminius we were sent into some inability, yet now we are given enough grace to cooperate with God -- that is, we're brought up from the dead, but still "sick with sin" to where we'll "die twice" if we don't believe.

The problem for Calvin and really for the western church is that every scheme, arminianism, pelagianism, semi-pelagianism, Roman quarto-pelagianism -- they really are the Pelagian path to enlightenment, with some frontend work performed by God to get us on that Pelagian path.

The Pelagian path can't be true. It raises us all, dusts us off, and then leaves us to our own devices. We're not powerful enough to do this, even "dusted off". Sin is just as capable as it was. And we are just as incapable as Adam was of fending it off for eternity.

Arminians don't claim that everybody in in a state without bondage to sin. Arminians claim that, at some point, at some time in their life (even if for only one moment) everyone has been graced just enough to accept salvation. We are, of ourselves, totally and inexorably, bonded to sin. However, God has the ability to free us from that bond. The grace of God gets more powerful the more you see others who have accepted it and received salvation.

It has to be both. If God decreed otherwise, it couldn't be the case!

Look, our entire existence is by God's decree, purpose, causation, and science. That whole thing is a decree. God says it, and it happens. That's a decree.

I think we are confusing God's will with his decrees. His decrees are carried to the letter, His will is not necessarily. Otherwise, the Lord's Prayer means absolutely nothing. Why pray for His "will to be done on Earth as it is in Heaven" when it already is done to the letter? Jesus also expressed grief that Jerusalem did not accept his saviorship when He said in Matthew 23:37 "O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!" God decreed the faithful to be saved, He wills that all be faithful.

It's not rocket science to break open what "all" means in a different language and context. It's not so much your skepticism that I care about; it's whether it fits the language at the time.

It's grammatically simple. "all" is an adjective. It refers to the scope declared in the sentence or phrase.

Its usage is simple. "all" is not technically comprehensive in common Greek any more than it is comprehensive in any other common verbal usage. Someone saying "I love you all" to an audience doesn't express a real love for that budding Hitler in the balcony.

I've pointed it out to another, too, that if you really believed this, you would have zero time to argue the point. "First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people, 2 for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way." If this meant praying for each and every person individually and comprehensively, and that were the primary instruction of Paul, then you've got quite a task, which doesn't extend to arguing with me over the meaning of this word. Paul's set for you a task above all others -- to individually and specifically pray for each and every person on the planet. If you really believed all that you have no time for this discussion.

Finally, "all" is constantly used in Greek to indicate "whole". It simply is.

For one, it all depends on the context. When there is no reason in context to suspect "all" means anything but "all," we shouldn't believe it does mean anything else. When Paul says to pray for "all" people, he doesn't mean individually, he means to say all when you pray. I pray for all people around the Earth, that they may come to saving faith in Christ, but that doesn't mean I name them individually. When Paul says I Timothy 2 1-6:

1I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men;
2For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty.
3For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour;
4Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.
5For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;
6Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time.

The Greek word translated as "all" does in fact mean whole, and it talks about the whole of humanity. Nowhere does it mention the church as the "all" Paul is talking about.

Who created Satan?

Just because creates something doesn't mean that He created, or is responsible for, what that creates. Satan created evil of His own free will.

From my point of view, it is indeed creation as a whole. "Hamartia" is simply "mark-missing", or its source, corruption. Romans 8 points out that creation awaits its redemption. And so creation needs redeeming.

And there are other views, related to context. But that's the view I hold of John's use of "world" here.

And clearly it's not comprehensive, because Jesus does not propitiate for the whole world. If He's the propitiation for it, he's not propitiating -- which would mean an incomplete propitiation. Yet John says Jesus is the propitiation. Is Jesus' propitiation not propitiation, or is it really propitiation, but to a specific purpose (and no other)? Calvinism answers the latter. Arminianism answers the former.

Creation is awaiting redemption from our sins. Creation never sinned, rather the ground is cursed for the sins of Adam. Creation itself never sinned. It will be redeemed at the end of history, along with the faithful.

As for your second point, I have no idea what you are saying, so I'm just going to say what I think the Bible says about Jesus's propitiation for our sins. He dies for the sins of the whole world, as the Bible says. Now, He extends out His hand for you to accept this "plea bargain" of sorts, where Christ got the punishment for our sins that we rightfully deserves, and we have to plea his name in order to be saved.

Paul's hypothetical questioner doesn't ask the question about nations. He asks the question about individuals. Paul doesn't sidestep that question. Nor does Paul respond, "No, you've got it all wrong, I'm talking about nations, not individuals."

Remember, Paul gets to phrase the question, too. So Paul's intentionally answering the question about individuals.

So Romans 9 definitely addresses individuals.

If Paul was addressing individuals instead of the election of Israel to saving faith, then he neither made it clear nor did he quote the right scriptures. Go back to the context of the Old Testament that he quotes from, and stop reading things into the text. It never says "God damned some individuals throughout all time and eternity," it says that God elected Israel (physical and spiritual) to be the deliverer of salvation. It never said that God chose who is a member of Israel.

I object.

I quoted:
If the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, he who raised Christ Jesus from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit who dwells in you.
For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, 39nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Rom 8:11,38-39
and you said: "Paul is talking to, and about, those who have already accepted the calling from God. He is not saying that God irrestibly chose non-believers to become believers."

So I quoted what was in between those verses!
Those He predestined, He called. Those He called, He justified.
That is not out of context. That is flatly, grammatically, rhetorically, and to the subject in context.

And you neglected to quote the rest of Romans 8: 29-30. God predestined those He foreknew to be like the image of the Son of God, and then chose those He foreknew to be faithful to be called to be saved. It never says He doesn't call all to salvation because other places Paul says that He wills all be saved. If He wills all to be saved, He also calls them. Those He foreknew to be beleivers He also called to be used "for his purpose."

He is calling those He foreknew to be used for His purpose. He knew the faithful, and chooses how to use them for His prupose and calls them to it.
Yeah. He says those He called He justified. Are you saying He didn't justify those He called?

Why would Paul say He called those He predestined, then, if God's calling everyone? It'd be a "no-brainer" if this simply meant the same as "Call all to salvation." And that assumption would slap Paul in the face of coherence if "those He called He justified."

No, the problem at this point is your mistaken view of Calvinistic calling.

Two calls.
General call.
Internal call.​

I see you are engaged in classic Calvinist doublethink. God calls all, but He doesn't really call all. If God isn't internally calling all, how can there be a general call to Tibetans? They don't hear the Gospel, and if God didn't extend the "saving grace which appears to all men," how are they called? Of course He justified those whom He called for His purpose, which is what the verse is talking about. He foreknew your acceptance of saving grace, and then calls you to the greater purpose that you are chosen to do in the Christian community.

Yeah, you missed it.

Two calls. The internal call is to salvation. The general call is not effective to salvation, so it is not in the order of salvation per se.

So God is calling all, but He isn't calling all? He calls all to salvation, but He didn't call all salvation?

Upvote 0

heymikey80

Dec 18, 2005
✟34,309.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Arminians don't claim that everybody in in a state without bondage to sin. Arminians claim that, at some point, at some time in their life (even if for only one moment) everyone has been graced just enough to accept salvation. We are, of ourselves, totally and inexorably, bonded to sin. However, God has the ability to free us from that bond. The grace of God gets more powerful the more you see others who have accepted it and received salvation.
Clearly it depends on the arminian. After all, your arguments about God's call being purposeless are doubly applicable if people are free to choose only for a moment.
I think we are confusing God's will with his decrees. His decrees are carried to the letter, His will is not necessarily.
Well, you said it's inconsistent that God's decrees are for the belief of the elect, while the reprobate remain responsible for their unbelief. That's consistent to me. Why not to you?

A rescuer is praised for his responsible actions; but those caught in bad situations because of their inordinate desires remain responsible for their irresponsibility. They don't hand their irresponsibility over to a rescuer. They remain responsible.
Otherwise, the Lord's Prayer means absolutely nothing. Why pray for His "will to be done on Earth as it is in Heaven" when it already is done to the letter? Jesus also expressed grief that Jerusalem did not accept his saviorship when He said in Matthew 23:37 "O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!" God decreed the faithful to be saved, He wills that all be faithful.
We're past that. None were faithful.
What if some were unfaithful? Does their faithlessness nullify the faithfulness of God? 4By no means! Let God be true though every one were a liar, as it is written,
"That you may be justified in your words,
and prevail when you are judged."
5But if our unrighteousness serves to show the righteousness of God, what shall we say? That God is unrighteous to inflict wrath on us? ( I speak in a human way.) 6By no means! For then how could God judge the world? 7But if through my lie God’s truth abounds to his glory, why am I still being condemned as a sinner? 8And why not do evil that good may come? as some people slanderously charge us with saying. Their condemnation is just.
9What then? Are we Jews any better off? No, not at all. For we have already charged that all, both Jews and Greeks, are under sin, 10as it is written:
"None is righteous, no, not one;
11no one understands;
no one seeks for God.
12All have turned aside; together they have become worthless;
no one does good,
not even one."
13 "Their throat is an open grave;
they use their tongues to deceive."
"The venom of asps is under their lips."
14 "Their mouth is full of curses and bitterness."
15 "Their feet are swift to shed blood;
16in their paths are ruin and misery,
17and the way of peace they have not known."
18 "There is no fear of God before their eyes."
19Now we know that whatever the law says it speaks to those who are under the law, so that every mouth may be stopped, and the whole world may be held accountable to God. 20For by works of the law no human being will be justified in his sight, since through the law comes knowledge of sin.
Romans 3

Upvote 0

nate895

May 26, 2009
✟7,682.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Clearly it depends on the arminian. After all, your arguments about God's call being purposeless are doubly applicable if people are free to choose only for a moment.

Depends on what defines as an "Arminian," most who claim the title are Semi-Pelagians. Real Arminians are not. How is God's call purposeless even if it is only for a moment? It is up to the sinner whether he will go back to reprobation. Paul describes how people become reprobate (i.e., totally abandoned by God) in Romans 1:18-32. Paul shows there that God doesn't abandon you until you deny Him.

Well, you said it's inconsistent that God's decrees are for the belief of the elect, while the reprobate remain responsible for their unbelief. That's consistent to me. Why not to you?

A rescuer is praised for his responsible actions; but those caught in bad situations because of their inordinate desires remain responsible for their irresponsibility. They don't hand their irresponsibility over to a rescuer. They remain responsible.

It isn't necessarily that the reprobated in Calvinism aren't responsible, it is more that the Bible says God wills all to be saved and that saving grace has appeared to all. God can't will all to be saved, and yet at the same time, by eternal decree, damn some people just because. If the Bible said that God only willed that the elect be saved, it wouldn't be inconsistent. It is just inconsistent to believe God wills all to be saved but that he individually chose the elect.

We're past that. None were faithful.
What if some were unfaithful? Does their faithlessness nullify the faithfulness of God? 4By no means! Let God be true though every one were a liar, as it is written,
"That you may be justified in your words,
and prevail when you are judged."
5But if our unrighteousness serves to show the righteousness of God, what shall we say? That God is unrighteous to inflict wrath on us? ( I speak in a human way.) 6By no means! For then how could God judge the world? 7But if through my lie God’s truth abounds to his glory, why am I still being condemned as a sinner? 8And why not do evil that good may come? as some people slanderously charge us with saying. Their condemnation is just.
9What then? Are we Jews any better off? No, not at all. For we have already charged that all, both Jews and Greeks, are under sin, 10as it is written:
"None is righteous, no, not one;
11no one understands;
no one seeks for God.
12All have turned aside; together they have become worthless;
no one does good,
not even one."
13 "Their throat is an open grave;
they use their tongues to deceive."
"The venom of asps is under their lips."
14 "Their mouth is full of curses and bitterness."
15 "Their feet are swift to shed blood;
16in their paths are ruin and misery,
17and the way of peace they have not known."
18 "There is no fear of God before their eyes."
19Now we know that whatever the law says it speaks to those who are under the law, so that every mouth may be stopped, and the whole world may be held accountable to God. 20For by works of the law no human being will be justified in his sight, since through the law comes knowledge of sin.
Romans 3

God does have the right to judge those whom He has abandoned, but the Bible says He abandons only after they have denied God's saving grace.

Upvote 0

heymikey80

Dec 18, 2005
✟34,309.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
For one, it all depends on the context. When there is no reason in context to suspect "all" means anything but "all," we shouldn't believe it does mean anything else.
Oh, so we shouldn't refer to the meaning of the Greek at the time? "all men" pretty rigorously meant in modern terms, "all races".

No. I prefer to read with the First Century in mind.
When Paul says to pray for "all" people, he doesn't mean individually, he means to say all when you pray. I pray for all people around the Earth, that they may come to saving faith in Christ, but that doesn't mean I name them individually. When Paul says I Timothy 2 1-6:

The Greek word translated as "all" does in fact mean whole, and it talks about the whole of humanity. Nowhere does it mention the church as the "all" Paul is talking about.
But as you've already said it, the word does not mean individually. So your point is kinda moot, there.
Just because creates something doesn't mean that He created, or is responsible for, what that creates. Satan created evil of His own free will.
Two things -- God creates something ... but didn't create what that creates. That would demand quite an interesting result: that you have no argument regarding God's responsibility for sin in man.

Which is interesting, but it shakes a bit of Arminianism's foundation of questioning Calvinism.

But second, I assume you're speaking within some theological qualification. If Satan created evil, then God didn't create evil.

Clearly in your view evil must be made. Yet Scripture says God made everything that's made.
Creation is awaiting redemption from our sins. Creation never sinned, rather the ground is cursed for the sins of Adam. Creation itself never sinned. It will be redeemed at the end of history, along with the faithful.
Is humanity creaturely?
As for your second point, I have no idea what you are saying, so I'm just going to say what I think the Bible says about Jesus's propitiation for our sins. He dies for the sins of the whole world, as the Bible says. Now, He extends out His hand for you to accept this "plea bargain" of sorts, where Christ got the punishment for our sins that we rightfully deserves, and we have to plea his name in order to be saved.
Yeah, I know the drill. The bridge halfway there. The Atonement limited by human will.
If Paul was addressing individuals instead of the election of Israel to saving faith, then he neither made it clear nor did he quote the right scriptures.
Romans 9:19-20. He's brutally clear. Just read it in Greek and you get a chill, he's so clear.
You will say to me then, "Why does he still find fault? For who can resist his will?" But who are you, O man, to answer back to God? Will what is molded say to its molder, "Why have you made me like this?"
What nation is asking this? Why is it all singular pronouns? Are you saying a nation won't resist God's will, but an individual can?

Paul flatly addresses the individual level right in the text -- "Who are you, o man ..."
Go back to the context of the Old Testament that he quotes from, and stop reading things into the text. It never says "God damned some individuals throughout all time and eternity," it says that God elected Israel (physical and spiritual) to be the deliverer of salvation. It never said that God chose who is a member of Israel.
That resulted in a national election. But it began as a highly specific individual election. "Before the two were born or had done anything ..." you think this is a national birth? No, indeed ... no. Paul was also aware that in Jewish theology God didn't choose the individual Ishmael, nor the individual Esau to confirm His covenant. And God didn't choose the individual Pharaoh.

Muse over the fact that Paul isn't writing to people who would go back to the Old Testament -- as Paul didn't include the references. And the Roman church is predominantly a Gentile church.

Put in historical context, Paul is quite clear. No kind of God's election is subject to human will or work. You can't smuggle individual human will or work into God's election by saying "this is all national". Paul didn't leave that door open. He didn't intend to.
And you neglected to quote the rest of Romans 8: 29-30. God predestined those He foreknew to be like the image of the Son of God, and then chose those He foreknew to be faithful to be called to be saved.
That's because you can't deny what the passage actually says, by sending in a red herring argument about another verse to try to overthrow it.

Of course there're answers about this. But if you can't deal with the point of Rom 8:30, you can't deal with the point of Rom 8:29.

It says the same people God predestined, He called, and those He called He justified. Care to ever take a stab at that? If God called more people than He predestined, then Paul made two errors: first saying that those He called were justified, and avoiding the point that more than were predestined, were called.
It never says He doesn't call all to salvation because other places Paul says that He wills all be saved.
I've already pointed out, that's arguable. To base your argument on this assertion would be begging the question.
If He wills all to be saved, He also calls them. Those He foreknew to be beleivers He also called to be used "for his purpose." He is calling those He foreknew to be used for His purpose. He knew the faithful, and chooses how to use them for His prupose and calls them to it.
Those He called, He justified.
I see you are engaged in classic Calvinist doublethink. God calls all, but He doesn't really call all.
Better than engaging in classic Arminian doublethink -- God wants all to be saved, but does not want to save all.

In truth you're being hamstrung by the verses that separate-out the calls. The summons to God's purpose is specific, and predestines people who are known to God from the foundation of the world (Rom 8:28-29). Those who are called in this way are justified.
If God isn't internally calling all, how can there be a general call to Tibetans? They don't hear the Gospel, and if God didn't extend the "saving grace which appears to all men," how are they called?
Simple. If you're not calling them, they're not called.
Of course He justified those whom He called for His purpose, which is what the verse is talking about. He foreknew your acceptance of saving grace, and then calls you to the greater purpose that you are chosen to do in the Christian community.
It doesn't say anything about your acceptance of saving grace. In fact Romans 9 says quite the opposite, within 25 verses. God's choice of people is not due to our actions or wills.
So God is calling all, but He isn't calling all? He calls all to salvation, but He didn't call all salvation?
Those He called, He justified.

The times of ignorance God overlooked, but now he commands all people everywhere to repent.

Two calls.

Upvote 0

heymikey80

Dec 18, 2005
✟34,309.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Depends on what defines as an "Arminian," most who claim the title are Semi-Pelagians. Real Arminians are not. How is God's call purposeless even if it is only for a moment? It is up to the sinner whether he will go back to reprobation. Paul describes how people become reprobate (i.e., totally abandoned by God) in Romans 1:18-32. Paul shows there that God doesn't abandon you until you deny Him.
God would've known beforehand that such an action would be futile. Futile == ... ?
It isn't necessarily that the reprobated in Calvinism aren't responsible, it is more that the Bible says God wills all to be saved and that saving grace has appeared to all. God can't will all to be saved, and yet at the same time, by eternal decree, damn some people just because.
"Just because" is an assumptive denial of what Dordt says -- and so you're just flailing at strawmen, tilting at windmills.

This is "Debate a Calvinist". Not "Debate a Strawman".
If the Bible said that God only willed that the elect be saved, it wouldn't be inconsistent. It is just inconsistent to believe God wills all to be saved but that he individually chose the elect.
Yet Arminianism has that same problem. =Sigh=. Poor Arminians, finding themselves in the same boat with Calvinists, they vault off the deck and into the water.

You've already said God didn't choose everyone. Pot, meet kettle.
God does have the right to judge those whom He has abandoned, but the Bible says He abandons only after they have denied God's saving grace.
You've already pointed out, everyone has denied God's saving grace -- in fact some people only get a few moments of clarity. Not anyone is always, fully engaged in openness to hearing the Gospel. You've already said that.

So God's abandoned everyone? I don't think that's classic Arminianism.

Upvote 0

heymikey80

Dec 18, 2005
✟34,309.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Taking stock where the represented Arminian position sits:

1. No objection to the General Call in Calvinism being to people who would have no hope of considering the call.
  2. As derived from the answer to the Timothy passage, there can't be a specific objection to the view that God doesn't will that every individual person be saved.
  3. Maintaining a limited atonement by human will, leaving similar arguments against it in place against itself ....
  4. The emergence of evil in either theology is not God's responsibility, as God didn't directly create evil.
  5. Thinking Paul doesn't use Greek grammar properly is preferred to "doublethink" about having two calls.
  6. A doublethink problem itself with God's wanting all to be saved, yet not saving everyone.
I think Arminianism must deal itself with popular objections to the Calvinism it objected to (... objections it popularized at the time, btw). As far as I've seen classic Arminianism did not resolve these consistency problems. It took later versions shifting toward even greater human will and work, as well as individualization of verses that it had previously agreed with Calvinism were general and not individual. Most of that naturally led to more overlap with semi-Pelagianism -- on some occasions with Pelagianism proper, just as overreaching in Calvinism can tend toward hypercalvinism.

The basic question for me is whether there's another way to stabilize Arminianism. It will change, just to establish some theological consistency. I've semi-Pelagianism, and I've seen Amyrauldianism as well -- an accession to most of Dordt which I think is a positive move. Is there any other?

Upvote 0

heymikey80

Dec 18, 2005
✟34,309.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I would just like to officially recant. I am now a five-point Calvinist. I mean that in all seriousness.
I feel the same way. I am constantly recanting from both an Arminian position and its opposite in hypercalvinism, constantly looking up Calvin's comments, because they are so alien to the cultural dogmas of hyper and anti calvinism. It's like another world. A world I'm a child in.

But Calvinists did get something wrong when it came to the Council of Dordt. I weep for what the Calvinists did after Dordt. Patriotism and religion were intertwined then -- and pastoral concern was neglected and the error escalated to treason. I think Calvinists got the theology right -- and the redemptive method wrong.

I pray we are never that wrong again.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums