Jan 2, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟350.00
Faith
Christian
Questions so far:

Does God lie?

No. Lying is sin. God is without sin, so God does not lie.

If God does not lie, can His Word contain lies?

No. The Bible repeatedly grounds its reliablility on the fact that God does not lie.

Does the Bible present God as expecting all who hear the Gospel to believe it?

Yes.

Does the Bible present anyone as being exempt from believing the Gospel?

No.

In eternity past, did God look forward in time to see who would and wouldn't believe the Gospel, and use those human choices as the basis for His choice of who would/would not be saved?

No.

Does the Bible present the Gospel as being held out to ALL mankind, and God as expecting ALL who hear it to believe it?

Yes.

What does the Bible say God will do with all who knowingly reject the Gospel?

Lake of Fire.

According to Calvinism, can the non-elect believe the Gospel and be saved?

No.

Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
orthotomeo said:
Puppy,

I know the modern educational system is a wreck but that's what we old-timers call a yes-or-no question. It requires a "yes" or a "no" for an answer.

The permise on which the question depends is flawed. Therefore the answer is nethier yes /no . Given the assertion held with in the question, which may be seen as baseless.

For His Glory Alone!

BBAS

Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
orthotomeo said:
Questions so far:

Does God lie?

No. Lying is sin. God is without sin, so God does not lie.

If God does not lie, can His Word contain lies?

No. The Bible repeatedly grounds its reliablility on the fact that God does not lie.

Yes.

No.

In eternity past, did God look forward in time to see who would and wouldn't believe the Gospel, and use those human choices as the basis for His choice of who would/would not be saved?

No.

Does the Bible present the Gospel as being held out to ALL mankind, and God as expecting ALL who hear it to believe it?

Yes.

What does the Bible say God will do with all who knowingly reject the Gospel?

Lake of Fire.

According to Calvinism, can the non-elect believe the Gospel and be saved?

No.
Good Day, orthotomeo

Please cite Scripture on which you build your assertions here. Please for sake of clearity plese use full exergises of passages, for 1 verse does not a doctrine make.

Peace to u,

BBAS

Upvote 0

CSMR

Totally depraved
Nov 6, 2003
Oxford, UK & Princeton, USA
Visit site
✟3,466.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
Yes.
No.

Jesus, at least, did not expect all who hear the Gospel to believe it. (E.g. parable of the vineyard.)
What do you mean by your second question?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bulldog

Don't Tread on Me
Jan 19, 2004
22 Acacia Avenue
✟8,212.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
US-Libertarian
CSMR said:
[/b]
Jesus, at least, did not expect all who hear the Gospel to believe it. (E.g. parable of the vineyard.)
What do you mean by your second question?

He's trying to show that the "Calvinist God" (God) lies, to make a contradiction to the fact that God does not lie.

Upvote 0

orthotomeo

U.E.S.I.C.
Jan 2, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟350.00
Faith
Christian
He's trying to show that the "Calvinist God" (God) lies, to make a contradiction to the fact that God does not lie.

Very good, Puppy, you figured it out (as if I haven't stated it a dozen times already). And your answers are textbook Calvinism, so I thank you for sticking with this.

Next question:

According to Calvinism, was the eternal fate of ALL humans (elect and non-elect) irrevocably settled in eternity past? Or is there still the possibility that living people (elect or non-elect) can go one way or the other (Heaven or Hell) depending on their response to the Gospel?

o.

Upvote 0

frumanchu

God's justice does not demand second chances
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2003
Ohio
✟62,780.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
orthotomeo said:
According to Calvinism, was the eternal fate of ALL humans (elect and non-elect) irrevocably settled in eternity past? Or is there still the possibility that living people (elect or non-elect) can go one way or the other (Heaven or Hell) depending on their response to the Gospel?
False dilemma.

The eternal fate of all humans WAS irrevocably settled in eternity past, AND living people can and do go to heaven or hell depending on their response to the Gospel.

The two concepts are not mutually exclusive. Of course as a self-proclaimed former Calvinist you should certainly be aware of that.

Upvote 0

frumanchu

God's justice does not demand second chances
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2003
Ohio
✟62,780.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
orthotomeo said:
PS I'm ignoring your non-response in post #5 since we both know Calvinism's answer.
Translation: Don't bother me with details...I need more straw for my argument.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

orthotomeo

U.E.S.I.C.
Jan 2, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟350.00
Faith
Christian
Could you stop calling me Puppy?

This is an uncalled for comment .The age of the poster does not lessen out responsibility to treat each other with respect

.:Forum Rule 1:.
Rule No. 1 - No "Flaming"

1) You will not post any messages that harass, insult, belittle, threaten or flame another member or guest. This will include misquoting another member out of context. You may discuss another member's beliefs but there will be no personal attacks on the member himself or herself. This includes implied accusations that another member is not a Christian.

Upvote 0

orthotomeo

U.E.S.I.C.
Jan 2, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟350.00
Faith
Christian
I'll take that as a "no."

Hey...if R.C. Sproul is right, then God foreordained me to call you Puppy. So who are you to question God's will? Who art thou, o clay, to speak against thy Maker?

This post continues the violation of rule 1

.:Forum Rule 1:.
Rule No. 1 - No "Flaming"

1) You will not post any messages that harass, insult, belittle, threaten or flame another member or guest. This will include misquoting another member out of context. You may discuss another member's beliefs but there will be no personal attacks on the member himself or herself. This includes implied accusations that another member is not a Christian.

Upvote 0

orthotomeo

U.E.S.I.C.
Jan 2, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟350.00
Faith
Christian
The eternal fate of all humans WAS irrevocably settled in eternity past, AND living people can and do go to heaven or hell depending on their response to the Gospel.

You don't know what "irrevocable" means, do you.

If the eternal fate of all was determined irrevocably in eternity past, then no decision in this life - for the Gospel or against it - makes the slightest impact on determining your eternal fate.

Ever read 1984?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.