United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In the fitness and nutrition world we often say, “You are what you eat.”

For example, eating excessive carbohydrates (especially simple sugars) and saturated fats, is not good for you. It sets the stage for being overweight. It increases the probability of being obese, diabetic, and even developing heart disease. Conversely, eating a well-balanced diet of fats, proteins, carbohydrates, vitamins, minerals and water is conducive to being healthy.

The faith dimension to a meal

But when we think of eating from a faith perspective, we are talking about the Eucharistic meal. The Eucharist is the “source and summit” of our Catholic spirituality. The Church teaches that the bread and wine “by the words of Christ and the invocation of the Holy Spirit, become Christ’s Body and Blood” (CCC 1333).

However, the majority of Catholics, it seems, do not accept this belief. Surveys indicate that approximately 70% of Catholics in the United States do not believe in the true presence of Jesus Christ in the Eucharist. This has led Church leaders in the United States to initiate an effort to revive that core belief of our faith.

Eucharistic Revival

Continued below.

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟440,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I quit smoking and ate carbs.Um in trouble... trying to diet now.

Congratulations on quitting smoking ... and hang in there!
Smoking is a hard addiction to beat, but it can be done in the power of Jesus Christ!
:oldthumbsup:

Many years ago, one day at a time, God delivered me from an addiction to alcohol.
He does it still, one day at a time ...
... the 12 steps of AA were the tools God gave me to help me to do it.

It is not uncommon at all for us to switch one addiction for another.
Many alcoholics gain weight, after giving up drinking ...

Not everyone is the "support group" kind of person. I do happen to be one of them.
But I posted earlier this week about a Catholic support group called "Catholic in Recovery".
In their program, they work the 12-steps on whatever one's addiction might be ...

Here's a link to them, if you are ever interested in support for your recovery from smoking, or eating carbs, or whatever ...
They have online virtual support meetings and stuff ...

When I was regularly going to AA, I lived in an area where persons comfortably talked about God in the meetings. I needed that.
I would think CIR might be a good spiritual recovery route for Catholics to check out ...
because we really do need God involved in our recovery.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟442,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Congratulations on quitting smoking ... and hang in there!
Smoking is a hard addiction to beat, but it can be done in the power of Jesus Christ!
:oldthumbsup:

Many years ago, one day at a time, God delivered me from an addiction to alcohol.
He does it still, one day at a time ...
... the 12 steps of AA were the tools God gave me to help me to do it.

It is not uncommon at all for us to switch one addiction for another.
Many alcoholics gain weight, after giving up drinking ...

Not everyone is the "support group" kind of person. I do happen to be one of them.
But I posted earlier this week about a Catholic support group called "Catholic in Recovery".
In their program, they work the 12-steps on whatever one's addiction might be ...

Here's a link to them, if you are ever interested in support for your recovery from smoking, or eating carbs, or whatever ...
They have online virtual support meetings and stuff ...

When I was regularly going to AA, I lived in an area where persons comfortably talked about God in the meetings. I needed that.
I would think CIR might be a good spiritual recovery route for Catholics to check out ...
because we really do need God involved in our recovery.

KEEP up the good work.

I once prayed to quit drinking.
The Lord answered in such a way, that I really cannot drink it much at all.
I cannot touch rum. [my once favorite] because it makes me very ill.
Even a sip...

I can drink wine ok. LOW alcohol % and very seldom.

ETA I did not have an alcohol addiction, but I did drink a lot [imho] once a week.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: mourningdove~
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Chrystal-J

The one who stands firm to the end will be saved.
Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟806,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
The Eucharist is the “source and summit” of our Catholic spirituality.
I had a dream where there was a huge Eucharist in front of me. Half was brightly lit and the other half was dark in shadow. A voice said "Half of what you do is holy, half of what you do is not holy." I knew that was Jesus talking to me. It made me fully realize that Jesus' blood and body are real in Communion.

Upvote 0