You are my Son; TODAY I have become Your Father.

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟84,202.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Berean Standard Bible Psalm 2:
7b You are my Son; today I have become Your Father.
Which day was "today"?

Let's see how Paul interpreted it in his sermon at Antioch in Acts 13:
32And now we proclaim to you the good news: What God promised our fathers 33He has fulfilled for us, their children, by raising up Jesus. As it is written in the second Psalm:
‘You are My Son; today I have become Your Father.’
Paul connected "today" with Jesus' day of resurrection. Jesus was the Son of God before that. Paul interpreted David's psalm as pointing to the day of the Son's resurrection.

Similarly in Hebrews 1:
1 Long ago, at many times and in many ways, God spoke to our fathers by the prophets, 2 but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed the heir of all things, through whom also he created the world. 3 He is the radiance of the glory of God and the exact imprint of his nature, and he upholds the universe by the word of his power.
All this preamble asserts the preexistence of the Son.
After making purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high, 4 having become as much superior to angels as the name he has inherited is more excellent than theirs.
5a For to which of the angels did God ever say,
“You are my Son, today I have become Your Father”?
Hebrews 1 connects "today" with the cross and ascension. This would explain why we don't see the presence of the Son at the divine council in Job 1.

Four chapters later in Hebrews 5:
5So also Christ did not exalt himself to be made a high priest, but was appointed by him who said to him,
“You are my Son, today I have become Your Father”;
6 as he says also in another place,
“You are a priest forever, after the order of Melchizedek.”
Hebrews 5 connects "today" with the day when the Son was appointed as the eternal high priest.

David wrote in Psalm 2:
7I will tell of the decree: The LORD said to me, “You are my Son; today I have become Your Father. 8Ask of me, and I will make the nations your heritage, and the ends of the earth your possession. 9You shall break them with a rod of iron and dash them in pieces like a potter’s vessel.”
10Now therefore, O kings, be wise; be warned, O rulers of the earth. 11Serve the LORD with fear, and rejoice with trembling. 12Kiss the Son, lest he be angry, and you perish in the way, for his wrath is quickly kindled. Blessed are all who take refuge in him.
Which day was "today" in Psalm 2:7?

There are different interpretations. It seems to indicate the period between Jesus' resurrection and ascension after he had suffered for our sins.

Last edited:

childeye 2

Aug 18, 2018
Denver CO
✟203,858.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Psalm 2:

Which day was "today"?

Paul connected "today" with Jesus' day of resurrection. Jesus was the Son of God before that. Paul interpreted David's psalm as pointing to the day of the Son's resurrection.

Similarly in Hebrews 1:

Hebrews 1 connects "today" with the cross and ascension. This would explain why we don't see the presence of the Son at the divine council in Job 1.

Hebrews 5 connects "today" with the day when the Son was appointed as the eternal high priest.

David wrote in Psalm 2:

There are different interpretations. It seems to indicate the period between Jesus' resurrection and ascension after he had suffered for our sins.
I'm not going to pretend that I can speak accurately concerning eternal things. But as I see it, when God spoke the Word that formed all things, God had many children in mind and that all the events unfolded according to this conception. The thing is, that when Scripture says let us make man in our image it is a plural form meaning gods. I suspect this is alluding to the nature of angels who self-describe as gods.

I mention this because we also see in scripture the children of the devil described in the parable of the wheat and tares. In that parable Jesus describes the enemy of God planting tares amidst the wheat. With that in mind, the event where the Word would be made flesh and enter the creation it created would supersede the works or plans made by a creature that had attempted to usurp from God's plans from the beginning in the manner depicted in the parable.

To cut to the chase all of this means to me that "today" would point to the resurrection.

Colossians 1:18
And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence.

Hebrews 2: 9-11
9 But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man.

10 For it became him, for whom are all things, and by whom are all things, in bringing many sons unto glory, to make the captain of their salvation perfect through sufferings.

11 For both he that sanctifieth and they who are sanctified are all of one: for which cause he is not ashamed to call them brethren,

Hebrews: 2:14-18
14 Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil;

15 And deliver them who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage.

16 For verily he took not on him the nature of angels; but he took on him the seed of Abraham.

17 Wherefore in all things it behoved him to be made like unto his brethren, that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people.

18 For in that he himself hath suffered being tempted, he is able to succour them that are tempted.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: tonychanyt
Upvote 0

CoreyD

Jul 11, 2023
Detroit
✟24,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Psalm 2:

Which day was "today"?

Similarly in Hebrews 1:

David wrote in Psalm 2:

Hebrews 1:5
For to which of the angels did He ever say: “You are My Son, Today I have begotten You”? And again: “I will be to Him a Father, And He shall be to Me a Son”?

The scriptures do not say specifically when these words apply, but I think with a bit of reasoning from the scriptures, which you are doing, we can come up with a reasonable answer.

Acts 13:32-37, is a good choice of scriptures.
Romans 1:4 corresponds - who was declared the Son of God with power according to the Spirit of holiness by the resurrection from the dead, Jesus Christ our Lord,

From these scriptures, it seems the resurrection makes Jesus' adoption as a son official.
A question I would ask though, is, why was Jesus resurrected to heaven as a son?
An answer that comes to mind is, simply put; God anointed him as a son..

So, my next question would be, you guessed it. :) When? When was Jesus anointed as a son of God.
Making a long story short. At his baptism. There, Jesus was born again - born of water (baptized in water); born of spirit (anointed by spirit) as an adopted son of God.
luke321-22.jpg

However, he could not become an immortal spirit son, until after his death and resurrection, when he is officially taken in as a son.
This understanding seems to be in line with Romans 8.
Verse 23 reads,Not only that, but we also who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, eagerly waiting for the adoption, the redemption of our body.

Yet, these too have been anointed as sons, when they were born again. Cornelius was the first Gentile to be born again - baptized in water; anointed by spirit.
They receive their official adoption as son, after their death, and resurrection as immortal sons.

In a nutshell, that's how I understand it.

• Useful

GDL

Jul 25, 2020
SE
✟105,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Psalm 2 is about YHWH and YHWH's Christ:
  • NKJ Psalm 2:1 Why do the nations rage, And the people plot a vain thing? 2 The kings of the earth set themselves, And the rulers take counsel together, Against the LORD and against His Anointed, saying,
I see in Acts 13 the most comprehensive presentation of the foundational (1Cor3:10-11) focus (Acts18:5 Christ = Jesus) of Paul's Gospel message. When Paul references Psalm2 in Acts13:33, he asserts that Jesus is YHWH's Christ. Paul states this among more Messianic references such as the eternal Davidic Kingship.

In Acts2:36 Peter says: "Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly that God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord and Christ." (Acts 2:36 NKJ)
  • Peter in context speaks of:
    • The death, resurrection, ascension and session of Jesus Christ.
    • The connection to David.
    • God made Jesus [His] Christ.
  • See also Rom1:4.
  • See also Matt28:18 re: all authority in Heaven & on earth was given to Jesus.
IMO you've identified "today" as including the resurrection through the session whereby God made Jesus both Lord and Christ. The "today I have begotten you" is ordination language.
  • See 2Sam7:14 and Psalm89:26-27 re: the king as God's Son & God his Father. The NET Bible has some notes re: this at Psalm2:7.

Reactions: Fireinfolding
Upvote 0

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ordination

The act of ordaining
or the state of being ordained.
The ceremony of consecration to the ministry.
An arrangement or ordering.

And we know, that "If he were on earth, he should not be a priest".

So his ordination is shown in the same day

Hebrews 5:5-6 So also Christ glorified not himself to be made an high priest;
but he that said unto him, Thou art my Son, to day have I begotten thee.
As he saith also in another place, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec.

Obtaining a more excellent ministry.

• Useful
Upvote 0

GDL

Jul 25, 2020
SE
✟105,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Read Post #6. Thank you @Fireinfolding.

Add Hebrews1 and note the same "begotten" language in the midst of all the "appointed" & "heir" & "inheritance" & "obtained" & "Kingdom" (King thus Messianic reference).

Look again at Acts13 and note how Paul asserts this language to reveal Jesus as Christ & King among the Davidic Kingship language.

Re; the "ordain" terminology, note also Rom1:4 re: Jesus being declared/appointed/designated (horizō is sometimes translated "ordain" e.g. NKJ Acts17:31 where He was also ordained as Judge of the inhabited world) Son of God in power.