You’re never too old to become Catholic. Just ask Mrs. Betty Baker of Kentucky, who just entered the Church at age 87...

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,676,883.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You’re never too old to become Catholic, according to Betty Baker of Clarkson, Kentucky, who entered the Church this past Easter at the age of 87.

“I can’t kneel, and I can’t remember the prayers, but being Catholic is the right thing for me,” she told the Register. I had caught sight of Betty’s white hair and sweet smiling face alongside her daughter Lisa who had posted on Twitter @CatholicLisa that her mother became Catholic during the Easter Vigil. Mother and daughter agreed to a phone interview to talk about this momentous event.

Betty had spent a lifetime following Jesus as a Protestant beginning in a small country church in Poplar, Kentucky, where she was baptized at the age of 13. “I always felt God’s presence in my life,” she said.

After her husband died in 2000, Betty began spending more time visiting Lisa and would join her for Sunday Mass at St. Elizabeth of Hungary in Clarkson.

“I believed everything I heard,” Betty said. “When my daughter and granddaughter, Bethany (Wagner), asked if I would like to become Catholic, I prayed and asked God what he wanted me to do, and I knew it was the right thing for me.”

But Betty was concerned, given her short-term memory problems and inability to kneel. She brought her concerns to Father Steve Hohman, the pastor of St. Elizabeth’s.

“He explained that kneeling was a sign of humility,” Lisa said. “My mother has to use a walker, and not being able to kneel is very humbling for her.”

Betty enrolled in the OCIA program. Everything she learned resonated with her including the Blessed Mother, Confession, the Eucharist and Purgatory.

“It all felt right in my heart,” she said.

Continued below.

• Love
Reactions: mourningdove~

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟440,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
"Betty's" story is a beautiful one ...
:hibiscus:

Widows cope in different ways when they get hit with the challenge of widowhood,
but for the Christian woman it can become a time for growing deeper into one's relationship with God.
As the widow reaches out to God in her sorrow, loneliness, fears, concerns ... (celebrations of joy, too!) ...
she will learn that God is there with her, to comfort her, encourage her, give her strength, grow her in faith. Never is she truly alone.

Thru the Catholic faith, there are many ways for a widow to grow in her closeness to God, and His people.

And as Betty's life demonstrates, one is never 'too old' to enter into a fuller spiritual life ...

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟353,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Hope you don't mind if i stick this in here as I've been trying to find a place to ask you this.
Your post on mel Gibson;. Does he say his beliefs are Catholic? It doesn't sound Catholic. Maybe it's his own denomination?

Upvote 0