YECs: What scriptures say the universe is only a few thousands of years old?

Sinai

Apr 2, 2002
Visit site
✟1,762.00
Faith
Protestant
Although there have been numerous discussions on this and related forums between "young earth creationists" (who generally believe the universe is only a few thousand years old) and those who accept mainstream scientific evidence that the universe is billions of years old (both figures being measured in Earth years looking back in time toward the initial point of creation), those discussions seem to have generally come down to the following:

A. The YECs will generally rely primarily upon their "faith" in the inerrancy of their interpretation of certain Bible verses (which may or may not be given or explained); and

B. Those believing in an "old universe" will generally rely primarily upon their faith in the accuracy of mainstream scientific data and evidence.

Any attempt by the YECs to present scientific data and evidence supportive of their position will tend to be refuted by mainstream scientific evidence to the contrary, and any attempt by the mainstreamers (for want of a better short term at the moment) to quote scriptures supportive of their position is typically dismissed by the YECs as not conforming with their interpretation.

In an effort to get past this impasse, I propose the following challenge to the young earth creationists: Please identify which portions of the original Hebrew text cause you to believe that the universe is only a few thousand years old, and state why you think each verse requires that interpretation. Please note that I am not asking about evolution, special creation of man, intelligent design or other similar issues at this time; we may get to those issues later, but lets start at the beginning and work from there.

Thank you.

ern

Oct 23, 2002
Mequon, WI
Visit site
✟266.00
Faith
Christian
Its not really interpretation of any particular scripture. It is extrapolated from the ages of men given when they had their son. Mostly this is done in Genesis Chapter 5, then again in chapter 11. After doing that, you can take the names of rulers mentioned and compare them to the dates we know they served and work it back to modern day times.

Upvote 0
My main question is this. Where does it say the time period between Genesis 1:1 and 1:2? God could have created the earth, but not formed life or anything to support life on it for several billion years. For all we know Dinosaur fossils could be the physical forms of demons that where exiled from heaven pre-human. The time period generally exepted by christains is the 12000-13000 years for the genealogical time line the bible gives. This only chronicles the existence of humans however, and not of the earth itself.

Upvote 0
It doesn't use the word day until after God brought light to the world.

1 In the beginning, God created the heaven and the earth.
2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.
3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.
4 And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.
5 And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.

What I'm saying is, what is the time difference between the creation of earth, and the time God brought light to it? There is a hole in my theory though.

9 And God said, Let the waters under the heaven be gathered together unto one place, and let the dry land appear: and it was so.

The creatures that where land based couldn't have existed before this happened under our rules of what is necessary to survive. This is the only part of my theory that I've found doesn't work. I can't explain dinosaurs completely.

Upvote 0

ThePhoenix

Aug 12, 2003
✟5,476.00
Faith
Christian
Joshua777777 said:
It doesn't use the word day until after God brought light to the world.

1 In the beginning, God created the heaven and the earth.
2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.
3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.
4 And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.
5 And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.

What I'm saying is, what is the time difference between the creation of earth, and the time God brought light to it? There is a hole in my theory though.

9 And God said, Let the waters under the heaven be gathered together unto one place, and let the dry land appear: and it was so.

The creatures that where land based couldn't have existed before this happened under our rules of what is necessary to survive. This is the only part of my theory that I've found doesn't work. I can't explain dinosaurs completely.
One could assume it was a metaphor, and not to be taken literally...

Upvote 0
ThePhoenix said:
One could assume it was a metaphor, and not to be taken literally...
Well, considering that the entirety of Genesis is written in the style of a history book including genealogical records, it's kind of hard to say it was a metaphor. And yes, it's easy to say that the time period in the beginning was only 24 hours. I honestly think I make things to complicated to try to explain things sometimes. My theory may be compleatly off, I'm just adding it as a possibilitys.

Upvote 0
A

Ark Guy

Just for the record, consider the words of the New Testament character named Barnabus.

15:4 Consider, my children, what signify the words,
He finished them in six days. They mean this: that in six thousand years the Lord will make an end of all things, for a day is with him as a thousand years. And he himself beareth witness unto me, saying: Behold this day a day shall be as a thousand years.
Therefore, my children, in six days, that is in six thousand years, shall all things be brought to an end.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Iamir

Sep 14, 2003
Pa.
Visit site
✟117.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The word for day in Hebrew is "yom" which describes a period of time. An example of this exact word is used to describe the period of time a certain king may have reigned in the old testament. Does Yom Kippur sound famliar? It is a period of time , not 24 hours. I dont wish to bore you but if you have further questions, I would love to answer any that I can.

Peace,
Iamir

Upvote 0
Would you lose your faith if you were to find out that man has been genetically manipulated in the past and we are the end result of an experiment of sorts. What if the experiment isn't complete yet and we are still being observed and modified at times to make improvements. Would that make you lose your faith if you were to find out that reality is a bit different than you thought it was?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Arikay

HI
Jan 23, 2003
Visit site
✟28,817.00
Faith
Taoist
Speaking of the creationist organizations. Its interesting to note that drdino and AIG dont really like each other. Although they both stick to the 6000 year old earth.
Another group that is a leading creationist group is ICR. They are Young Earth creationists, although they do not stick with 6000 years like AIG, and believe that it could have been longer.

Raydar said:
Please consider visting drdino.com or answersingenesis.com Kent Hovind, Ken Ham and Henry Morris are some of the people I have read when I once struggled with questions similar to yours

Upvote 0