Ye Olde Republican Safe House

This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DieHappy

and I am A W E S O M E !!
Jul 31, 2005
✟26,607.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I know there was a thread where I mentioned the government getting in my way of helping the poor and some liberals said there's no way, if I wanted to help the poor I could do it. I replied with an article about Dade county restricting feeding the homeless in parks.

Here's another:

McGurn: Government vs. Soup Kitchen - WSJ.com

"Most obvious is the higher cost: at least $150,000 more a year. To meet this increase, the kitchen is asking each participating church to up its own contribution. Some congregations don't have the money. For those that do, it will mean less for some other need.

Much of this cost results from a new prohibition on people donating food they've prepared at home. For those on the giving end, often this was the only way they could participate, so eliminating their contributions means eliminating volunteers. For those on the receiving end, it means no more homemade meat loaf, lasagna, cakes and so forth.
All, of course, in the name of food safety. Still, one suspects that when a co-worker brings a tin of Christmas cookies to a friend inside Morristown's Division of Health, those cookies are not forbidden because they do not come wrapped from a supermarket or approved restaurant. Yet this is precisely the restriction these officials have imposed on men, women and children whose only hope for a home-baked cookie might be at the soup kitchen"

Upvote 0

DieHappy

and I am A W E S O M E !!
Jul 31, 2005
✟26,607.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
obama15.jpg

Reactions: EdwinWillers
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

EdwinWillers

Jan 13, 2010
Galt's Gulch
✟8,420.00
Country
Niue
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think the two points he makes in the article are salient ones. First, that Gingrich wasn't much of a visionary back then (not seeing the effect of Reagan's policies would have on the Soviet Union) and second, when your leader is under vicious assault from his opponents, you don't add to them with your own.

That was 1986.

The second is a character flaw - and perhaps the only thing I can say of a positive nature regarding leadership in the Democrat party - they stand by their leader through thick and thin - even if they don't agree with them. Now that can be a flaw in itself if taken too far (case in point: with Barack Obama). For one to go against that wisdom and attack their leader, viciously attack, when their leader is receiving it from the other side at the same time just smacks of rebelliousness and overwhelming pride. Having said that; one must allow for a person to learn, change, and grow in 25 years. It would be a mistake to flatly assume that that Gingrich is no different than this Gingrich today. And having said that, we mustn't assume he isn't either.

As to the first, his not being much of a visionary back then, I frankly don't know if that's something imbedded in a person's makeup or something which can change, grow, improve, or whatever with time and experience. My tendency is to think it's a little of both.

Upvote 0