Nov 22, 2002
✟125,391.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
The media wouldn't make it sound good to be endorsed by the Tea Party.

Last election caucus in my area, my group should have taken the nomination for Paul to the state, since he was the only one my group wanted to nominate that survived until the convention. If it didn't cost so much, I would have participated in the process.

Upvote 0

SmellsLikeCurlyFries

Social Capitalist
Jan 22, 2012
Chattanooga, Tennessee
✟5,424.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
The media wouldn't make it sound good to be endorsed by the Tea Party.

I dunno, they made it sound great when Gingrich got endorsed by 100 Tea Party leaders across 25 states.

Last election caucus in my area, my group should have taken the nomination for Paul to the state, since he was the only one my group wanted to nominate that survived until the convention. If it didn't cost so much, I would have participated in the process.

I'm considering becoming a delegate for Dr. Paul myself, but I don't know if I can make it down to FL for the convention in August.

Upvote 0

Cute Tink

Blah
Site Supporter
Nov 22, 2002
✟125,391.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I dunno, they made it sound great when Gingrich got endorsed by 100 Tea Party leaders across 25 states.

I'm surprised. All I ever heard about the Tea Party was that they were racist and they were waiting for violence to break out. Hmm...

Upvote 0

SmellsLikeCurlyFries

Social Capitalist
Jan 22, 2012
Chattanooga, Tennessee
✟5,424.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm surprised. All I ever heard about the Tea Party was that they were racist and they were waiting for violence to break out. Hmm...

Well, they've certainly turned pretty racist, but the original group wasn't. This new group seems primarily motivated by race, which is probably a good reason Gingrich got the endorsement, being as he's decided to market himself to racist southern whites.

Upvote 0

MacFall

Agorist
Nov 24, 2007
Western Pennsylvania, USA
✟25,688.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Oh thank God, I finally found a libertarian spot here!:bow:

O hai! Welcome. But everywhere you go is a libertarian spot, by definition. You own yourself and you own the space you occupy unless you are on someone else's space by their license. Lockean property theory 101. :p

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Nilloc

Senior Veteran
Mar 6, 2007
✟28,888.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I've had to re-read parts of it as well. But man... you should try Human Action sometime. I managed to get through it, but it makes MES seem like light reading.
I've heard that. Apparently Human Action was written for a more professional audience by assuming the reader knows about the other schools of economics, right? Thus, it'll be a very long time before I get to Mises.

Upvote 0

MacFall

Agorist
Nov 24, 2007
✟25,688.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yeah. Whereas all Rothbard assumes is interest and educability.

I read Human Action because he goes into the epistemology a bit more. Rothbard kind of assumes that people believe in such things as a priori knowledge and causal laws; Mises doesn't.

Upvote 0

Nilloc

Senior Veteran
Mar 6, 2007
✟28,888.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'm fascinated to see how the action axiom logically works itself out, but how does it relate to the gold standard? Ron Paul and other Austrians are always talking about the importance of gold, but I can't see how that's logically worked out from action. Isn't a main point of Austrianism that values are subjective? Or is the fact that Austrians hold to the gold standard have nothing to do with human action?

Upvote 0

MacFall

Agorist
Nov 24, 2007
✟25,688.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You'll get there if you keep reading. But briefly, the gold standard refers to the medium of exchange which is freely chosen by enough people to make it generally acceptable. And per the action axiom, that which is freely chosen will fulfill more people's subjective values than that which is not. Note, though, that it doesn't technically HAVE to be gold. Historically, however, it is.

That's probably condensed to the point of bastardization, but I'm just about to go to sleep, and it is in the book anyway. :p

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Nilloc

Senior Veteran
Mar 6, 2007
✟28,888.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
You'll get there if you keep reading. But briefly, the gold standard refers to the medium of exchange which is freely chosen by enough people to make it generally acceptable. And per the action axiom, that which is freely chosen will fulfill more people's subjective values than that which is not. Note, though, that it doesn't technically HAVE to be gold. Historically, however, it is.

That's probably condensed to the point of bastardization, but I'm just about to go to sleep, and it is in the book anyway. :p
Thanks. That's what I was thinking.

In other news: When voting for Ron Paul today, my sister and I wrote in PINKIE PIE in the one position that allowed us to write in candidates. Wish I could see the face of the person whose gonna read that when counting the votes. :D

Upvote 0

DieHappy

and I am A W E S O M E !!
Jul 31, 2005
✟26,607.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I've read bits of both long ago. I just downloaded both on pdf from the mises institute. By the way, if you don't get the transcripts of the yearly lectures they hold at Hillsdale, you're missing out.

My son is 9 and I was explaining money to him and after a while he asked why people ever put value in gold? The best I could come up with was that enough of humanity assigned a value to it, so it holds value. Unfortunately, I was decrying the dollar for the exact same reason.

Upvote 0

MacFall

Agorist
Nov 24, 2007
✟25,688.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Thanks. That's what I was thinking.

In other news: When voting for Ron Paul today, my sister and I wrote in PINKIE PIE in the one position that allowed us to write in candidates. Wish I could see the face of the person whose gonna read that when counting the votes. :D

HAHA! That makes my day. I'll probably end up writing in something like that in the general election.

Upvote 0

Nilloc

Senior Veteran
Mar 6, 2007
✟28,888.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
HAHA! That makes my day. I'll probably end up writing in something like that in the general election.
Vote Pinkie Pie!
party_in_the_usa_by_snakeman1992-d4gn4r3.jpg

(If someone told me a year ago that I would write-in the name of a My Little Pony character on the ballot, I would have said they were insane.)

I haven't been able to find a 'Vote Pinkie Pie' picture to replace the Cthulhu one (only found Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash) though. Probably use Fluttershy or just get my sister to make one.

Seriously though, I'm not sure if I'll write in something funny or write in Ron Paul in November. On the one hand, Ron Paul isn't going to win (I heard him earlier today say he has a slim, but unlikely chance), the elections seem to have about as much dignity as the voting on American Idol, and I'm not even a huge Ron Paul fan. He seems like one of the few honest politicians, his message needs to be heard, and I like him, but I'm not gonna question my existence if he doesn't win. On the other hand, writing in Ron Paul, while obviously he's not gonna win via write-in, might be seen as a specific objection to the GOP's choice. And I am curious to see how many write-in votes Paul gets this November.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.