Xp And Usr 56k Modem

Hi everyone,

I recently upgraded from ME to XP. I reformatted my drive to NTFS and started over loading my software. I was confusing though because my device manager didn't show any modem. I have a 56K US Robotics voice/data internal modem. I tryed to get it to reconize it and it did but only as a "standard modem". It would diag it fine but it won't dial out. I use DSL for the internet and I went online to find a driver but no matter what I try I can't get XP to see my modem as what it is and also it don't work anymore.

Everything else seems to work better now.

Any ideas?

kaotic

Learn physics
Sep 22, 2002
North Carolina, USA
Visit site
✟14,836.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
Originally posted by GodBoy809
hmm...i really dont know, then again i use cable modem and i dont like windows Xp anyway. i use win98, its the best!

hehe win98 isn't the best lol it is the most hackable version of windows there is.  Well win2k also.

Upvote 0

Athlon4all

I'm offline indefintely
Feb 6, 2002
Visit site
✟15,965.00
Hmmm, is there an "unknown" device in device manager that could be the modem? Maybe it needs drivers? Do you know for certain that the Modem is working? PM me if you would like, I would be glad to help further (of course if u don't PM, I will still keep an eye for a response in the thread:))

Upvote 0

Josh

Indeed.
Dec 10, 2001
✟919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It would diag it fine but it won't dial out. I use DSL for the internet and I went online to find a driver but no matter what I try I can't get XP to see my modem as what it is and also it don't work anymore.
Why do you need to get your 56k modem working if you have DSL?

Upvote 0
Originally posted by Athlon4all
Hmmm, is there an "unknown" device in device manager that could be the modem? Maybe it needs drivers? Do you know for certain that the Modem is working? PM me if you would like, I would be glad to help further (of course if u don't PM, I will still keep an eye for a response in the thread:))

First off the modem has always worked and as a matter of fact I use removable racks when makes changing hard drives simple and I can go back to ME or 98 whenever I want. And when I do the modem works fine.

When I first loaded XP it didn't even find the modem (98 and ME didn't even have to ask for a driver). I went to Add Hardware and it found it on COM 2 as  a "standard modem" it even diag's fine which means it is commuicating bewteen the modem and computer fine. But it won't dial out now.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Athlon4all

I'm offline indefintely
Feb 6, 2002
Visit site
✟15,965.00
Don't buy a new modem just yet. First, are you saying that it was dialing out in XP previously but now all of a sudden it isn't? I cannot believe that there are no XP drivers for this modem if there are 98 and Me. Can you give me the exact model number of the modem. It is obvious that right now you are using a "generic" driver and while diag's could be fine, I can definately see that not using a driver specifically for it could be a factor.

Upvote 0
Don't buy a new modem just yet. First, are you saying that it was dialing out in XP previously but now all of a sudden it isn't? I cannot believe that there are no XP drivers for this modem if there are 98 and Me. Can you give me the exact model number of the modem. It is obvious that right now you are using a "generic" driver and while diag's could be fine, I can definately see that not using a driver specifically for it could be a factor.

No it wasn't dialing out in XP, it won't work in XP. It will work if I change my hard drive back to ME and boot up. Then It works fine, I've done this a a test thinking that perhaps my modem just decided to die after I loaded up XP. Yes when I originally installed win98SE (a couple years ago) it didn't even ask for a driver cause it had one for it. I upgraded to ME (I always start from scratch eachtime I upgrade in order to have a fresh OS load) and it also had a driver for this modem. XP don't.

I can configure it as a "standard modem" on COM 2 and it diagn's fine but would dial.

Thanks,

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Athlon4all

I'm offline indefintely
Feb 6, 2002
Visit site
✟15,965.00
Is it PCI or ISA? I am assuming PCI. In any case, going to [l=http://www.usr.com/support/s-windows.asp]this[/l] @ USR, they say that except for 2 PC Card Modems, every one of their modems has drivers with XP, so it seems that something else is amiss here. Have you tried going into device manager, selecting the modem, then clickinhg Update Driver, and choosing from the list your modem?

Upvote 0
Is it PCI or ISA? I am assuming PCI. In any case, going to [l=http://www.usr.com/support/s-windows.asp]this[/l] @ USR, they say that except for 2 PC Card Modems, every one of their modems has drivers with XP, so it seems that something else is amiss here. Have you tried going into device manager, selecting the modem, then clickinhg Update Driver, and choosing from the list your modem?

Yes I did that and it told me that I already had to most current driver for the device, which it says is a "standard modem".

Yes it is a PCI card.

I read that at the USR site as well. Seem they have me in a circle here. USR says XP has the driver and XP don't so you try USR again. Round and round I go.

I tryed again today switch hard drives and going back to ME, the modem works just fine.

Upvote 0
Ok, well, I am about out of suggestions. I just want to clarify that when you went to update driver, it asks you do you want to search for the latest driver, or do you want to choose from the list, did you choose from the list?

I am about to say email USR/Microsoft Tech Support.

I did both options.

Oh my, call MS tech support? I called them once and they said they wanted $245.00 before even talking to me. I'd save by buying a new modem.

I'll try USR Tech first.

Thanks everyone

Upvote 0