• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Writer's Block!

Discussion in 'The Writers Guild' started by Coleton Bryce Ritmanich, Jul 29, 2019.

1. Coleton Bryce Ritmanich

Coleton Bryce Ritmanich John 3:16

+404
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Democrat
    How do I cure it?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. LaBèlla

LaBèlla Well-Known Member Supporter

+5,854
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Daily routines are helpful. Julia Cameron covers this in The Artist’s Way. Consistency is the key. Some people use writing exercises, journaling or brain dumps to warm up.

Having an accountability partner helps. Ideally you’d have several for the different phases/areas of writing. For example:

Pitches
    Emotional cheerleader
    Short stories/Fiction/Non-Fiction
    Editing/Revising
    Queries
    Feedback

Having a small circle of writers you keep in touch with is helpful. Joining a writing group can be useful if you find a good one. You can have a combination of online and real-time connections. Meetup is good option for local gatherings. And private communities on the Internet can work too.

Facebook groups are hit and miss. You’d be better off in a paid community. Check out Carol Tice. She has great writing resources.

3. Coleton Bryce Ritmanich

+404
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Democrat
    Thanks!

4. Danielwright2311

Danielwright2311 Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,313
    United States
    Christian
    Divorced
    You know what makes a good imagination for writing?

solitude to look at the world around you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  5. Coleton Bryce Ritmanich

+404
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Democrat
    That's a new twist on perspective! I like it!

6. Michael Collum

Michael Collum Everything began with a voice, use yours Supporter

+3,818
    Canada
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    I recall writing my most surrealistic work in Physics class during high school.

Sometimes it's the contrast, and sometimes sheer boredom that inspires.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  7. Coleton Bryce Ritmanich

+404
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Democrat
    Yeah I had some of best short story ideas in middle school!

8. Michael Collum

Michael Collum Everything began with a voice, use yours Supporter

+3,818
    Canada
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    I'm still looking at that thing I wrote of a Dog reading a prophecy off of an Orange peel, and I just can't stop laughing.

9. Coleton Bryce Ritmanich

+404
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Democrat
    Nice! I had thought of many different science related superheros that could have easily been novels.

10. Coleton Bryce Ritmanich

+404
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Democrat
    As a matter of fact, they were all awesome.

I called them the "Platinum City Heroes."

11. Jonaitis

Jonaitis Pilgrim

+3,117
    United States
    Reformed
    Single
    US-Republican
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
  12. Coleton Bryce Ritmanich

+404
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Democrat
  13. timothyu

timothyu Well-Known Member

+3,025
    Canada
    Non-Denom
    Private
    It'll come to you when you stop looking. The best inspirations are not our own.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  14. JAM2b

JAM2b Newbie

+1,633
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Divorced
    I use the Who, What, When, Where, Why and How. I sometimes answer it is small, short sentences, and then build from there. Other times the answer to just one or two of them can get me started on lots of thoughts for that answer.

I don't always know what kind of person I want to write about, or what kind of story I want to do. Just starting with answering one or more of those can sometimes trigger creativity. Also add story generator or Character profiles can make a spark. Reading prompts is also helpful to me. If nothing else, it can push out everything I don't want to write.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  15. Ophiolite

Ophiolite Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape

+5,895
    United Kingdom
    Agnostic
    Private
    The issue, perhaps, is not that you are unable to write, but that you are unable to write about your chosen subject. So, don't try. Just start writing. For example you were able to write the opening sentence of this thread. Imagine if you used that as a seed. The early result might look like this:

How do I cure it? I want to cure it. Curing is important. Curing hams is important if your are into food processing. I had a food processor once. it just churned round and round, chopping and slicing. Dan Evans, the British tennis player, has a mean slice. Take it on the bounce. Watch it drift. The North Atlantic Drift is an extension of the Gulf Stream. I have flown in a Gulfstream several times.

Just stream of consciousness stuff, but periodically drop in a word or phrase or a sentence that relates to your target topic. Don't push it beyond that - let it come naturally. I have no idea if this would work for you, but it might be worth a try.

16. JesseRBassetti

JesseRBassetti New Member

+8
    United States
    Lutheran
    Single
    US-Democrat
    As a fellow writer, I too am often stuck in my writing. Like now. But I always believe that the best ideas come to us when we let the characters tell us their stories...not the other way around! Hope this helps!

17. dms1972

dms1972 Well-Known Member Supporter

+717
    Non-Denom
    Single
    With reference to the OP's question, I wonder would reading books on the creative process, not meaning to suggest the OP doesn't know about it - there plenty, a few that come to mind would be:

The Mind of the Maker : Dorothy Sayers
    Walking on Water: Madeleine L'Engel
    Real Presence: Leanne Payne

I don't know if reading any of that would remove the OP's block, but Leanne Payne talks about a block she had and how she came to understand it, and it was removed (in her autobiography Heavens Calling) - but I don't mean of course that everyone's block is the same - still her account of working through it makes an interesting read.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
  18. timothyu

timothyu Well-Known Member

+3,025
    Canada
    Non-Denom
    Private
    If it is not a gift, perhaps it might be wise to fine what gift one has.

19. JesseRBassett

JesseRBassett Carpe Diem! (Always seeking the face of God) Angels Team

+252
    United States
    Reformed
    Single
    US-Democrat
    Writers block I have found is just something that is in the mind. It simply does not exist! If you think it, it is according to scripture. So believe you can write easily and you will make it happen!