constantlylackingsleep
Mar 23, 2005
A Yellow Submarine
✟1,281.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
For about five months I've been able to write almost nothing. I can hardly write a poem, much less a short story, and it's driving me insane. But the thing is, I have all these stories going around in my head, yet when I start to write, they all fly away and I'm left with nothing :cry: Help please.

HeidiL

Apr 22, 2007
✟7,704.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I think it might help if you tried to get all your ideas down before you start writing, and know exactly where your story is going. That way, all the dialogue and everything you write will have a clear purpose and you won't be struggling to figure out what to write, you'll be deciding how to write it, and that's the fun part. I don't like outlines that much; I prefer using webs, or, as I'm doing now, the Snowflake Method!!! (Although this works best for novels) I wrote about it in another thread titled "Historical Accuracy" and it works great for me when I have writer's block. (If you want to see more about the Snowflake Method, go to Google and type in "Snowflake Method of Writing") Good luck writing and have a great day!!!

Upvote 0

Turtleopolis

Jul 1, 2007
✟15,154.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Hi there!

(Turtleopolis <=== new here. :wave: )

I write quite a bit of fiction, and when I've found myself stuck at the beginning of a piece, it usually ends up being because I'm a) bogged down in "introduction" and b) trying to start in the wrong place. What I do then is try and figure out what the story actually is, and then where the story actually begins.

So, say I was trying to write a story about a girl who breaks her leg right before her big ballet recital. It's tempting to start the story with a long description of who the girl is, and how long she's been studying ballet, and where she lives, and who her siblings are - the "introduction" - but the story itself actually begins when she breaks her leg, so I'd start writing right before that actually happens. Maybe I'd have her sitting in a classroom, discussing the recital with a friend - they mention the girl's role specifically to set that up and show that she's excited about it - and then out the door and down the stairs she goes, slips on a pep rally flier and boom.

Before you know it, you've built up some momentum, and the writing flows more easily.

Another trick that sometimes works for me is to try writing about the story, instead of writing the story itself. Like this: "The story's about a girl named Cassie whose dad is a doctor. He's a nephrologist. No. A pulmonologist. His name is Bill. She's been taking ballet classes since she was three. Her teacher's name is Madame Kristie. Cassie is very excited about her role in Swan Lake." The idea here is to not worry about your prose at all, and just get down as many details as you can.

I've found that doing this sometimes focuses the story in my head, which makes it easier to write. Also, hopefully in all of those details you'll find one that shines like a new penny and it'll give you somewhere to start the actual story. If you're really lucky, you'll find yourself in the actual story without even noticing that you got there.

Wow, I just realized that I've been going on and on forever. Sorry about that - hope it's not too annoying.

:)

take care,
turtle

Upvote 0

Lindon Tinuviel

Nov 19, 2002
Not there anymore
✟4,348.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Wow, I just realized that I've been going on and on forever. Sorry about that - hope it's not too annoying.

:)

take care,
turtle

Hi, welcome to the board!

It's often said that *real* writers have a problem with writing too much... they almost never write too little :)

Upvote 0
N

NavyGuy7

An idea. Imagine a specific scene in your head, but make it something simple, like a sunrise. You are not aware of your character yet, if there even is one. Now, just try to write what you see, no matter how stupid it might sound. Oftentimes, I usually find I rewrite a lot of what I put down because what is on the paper is an idea, and like a potter I can mold the clay to my vision, by substituting words here, or switching words there with other words, or even breaking down some of the longer sentences into new ideas. Don't try to write something massive all at once; start with something as simple as the sun.

Sometimes, nothing helps, though. It's those times we take a break from writing, reading new things in the hopes of collecting an arsenal of new ideas. Or sometimes, the brain just needs to rest. I say if you are having trouble and the above method doesn't work, then just take a few books of poetry, and write down lines from poems you especially like. Try taking lines from different poems, and then arrange the lines into a new poem.

Upvote 0

Soldier_For_Christ

Warrior, Servant, and Defender of Christ
Oct 10, 2004
Earth
✟21,494.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
You know, Tolkien ran into Writer's Block when he was writing the Fellowship of the Ring. It's true. The party was in Balin's Tomb in Moria when he was hit with mega Writer's Block. All he did was lay the story down for nine months. Writer's Block might not always be a bad thing; use this time to write down your thoughts, even if it's just note-taking, and allow the creativity within you to flow freely. Sometimes creativity can be guided, but the more glorious side of it is that if we allow it to go where it will, it often takes us to places more awesome than we could've come up with on our own.

Upvote 0

Tariel

Reader-Writer-Editor
Apr 25, 2005
✟68,827.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've been keeping journals from the POV of my characters. Y'know, like when they were younger. It's been really helping me to see who these people are and what they went through in the past. It's like they say, "You can't know where you're going until you know where you've been."

Upvote 0

PublicNewSense

Jul 22, 2007
✟15,181.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Just write, don't worry about what you're writing, you can always go back and edit later. My suggestion is go to the Hook Me In 20 Words Or Less thread and practice. It's a great exercise--plus, it pertains to one of the most important rules in writing, hooking the reader within the first paragraph.

Upvote 0

zay

praise Him for your testimony!
Sep 12, 2004
NC
✟13,407.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
For me, sometimes it's best to not try to write anything, and just let an emotion, thought, or feeling hit me. It can start with a random word, scene or thought, and I'll tap into the emotion behind it to build off of it. I'll start thinking about the emotion behind the thought, then let it write itself. If it's a poem, I'll think of what the initial concept means to me, and then let it write itself as I conceptualize the image. Feel, color(s). From the image, the sounds come and rhyme/off rhyme sequence(s) as well as pace.

Other times, it's just best to stop trying so hard and let the writing build itself inside of you. There are times I'll get a random thought, and I'll think "hmm, that's interesting" or I'll have a concept that really hits me. But for whatever reason, I can't connect the dots beyond the initial feeling. In those times I just keep it in mind, walk away and let it breathe. Think about it time to time, write the initial thought down and then walk away from it. Pray about it, then when I have a little more write that down. Repeating that process, write, pray/think on it, walk away, write. In the process, asking myself and talking to God, what does this mean to me? And how can I convey it to/for others? Where does the reader fall into this, and how can I bridge this to them? Also, don't be afraid to jump around. Sometimes you can get seemingly completely different ideas but once you step back you can find a bridge to bring them together.

Then there are the times where I just have to write it out like others have said. Think about the character and who they are. What makes them a person/unpersonable. What's their quirks? What's their color? What do you want the world to know, and how directly/indirectly? What makes them, them? Music, age, interests, thought process, reader/non-reader, how do they relate to you? You to them? What are some things in our world that have effected you? How in turn does it effect them? Where can the reader fall into them, what makes them multi-dimensional?

Other times, the best way to write is to read and study others. Read others works and think about how it compares to your own style. How would you write this scene? Or how does this poet's strengths relate to your own? What made them write about this? What is/was their thought process? How would I write about it? What do I feel, what emotion/thought(s)? Study the writer's background as well.

One 'exercise' I have is basically staring at a blank sheet of paper, and again tapping into my feelings. Asking myself, how should the paper be filled up. What am I feeling today, why do I feel it? What image, picture, word can explain it? Then what scene, etc.

One final thing I'd suggest is rest in the fact that you have a God-given talent. Don't allow yourself to be overwhelmed but rest in Him. Don't be afraid to walk away, because a lot of times what you have to say will find you. It will rise up in your heart, and you'll have to write down what it's saying. Let who you are in Christ minister to yourself and then turn around and give it to your reader. Trust that the Lord will give you something to say, stay in prayer, and let it write itself. Turn to your source and let Him work.

Praying for you and all my fellow writers. I hope this helps. I echoed a lot of what others have said, but that's what helps me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

sunstruckdream

Simply fantastical!
Oct 9, 2005
✟15,003.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Just last night (okay...at three this morning), I got the urge to write a story. I knew nothing about it, except I wanted my protagonist to have a certain unusual name. Using that name, I just started pounding keys, and the details of her character, the other characters, and the plot came to me piece by piece. After two pages, I had the rest of it somewhat planned. Granted, it's not a novel-length project - I just want it to be a short story. But it is what it is. I just thought I'd post that here because I started with total writer's block and finished with an idea I happen to like quite a bit.

Upvote 0

Peace Eternal

constantlylackingsleep
Mar 23, 2005
A Yellow Submarine
✟1,281.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Try solving math problems.
I play Soduku, does that count :scratch: :)

Thank's everyone for your help, it really did work, and I've got some down on paper and on the computer, but it is still rather slow going. I also relized that I've trying to write to fulfill the expectations of those closest to me, and who are always comparing what I write with authors like Austen, Tolkien, Dumas, Dickens, ect...So, Ive started not really showing them anything I write, and it helps. I can write what I feel like.

Upvote 0
N

NavyGuy7

Yah, sometimes it's best to keep what you write secret until you need an objective party to review your work.

Oh, that reminds me another method. Just pick a genre, then create different characters, and try to be as specific as possible, as if they were real people. Pretty soon, the more details you get, the more of their personality you seem to know...
...and then you pick the ones that work together the best. Sometimes it's only worth a short story, but hey! That's an accomplishment in itself.

(You can probably do the same thing with existing characters, but you expand on what you know about them already...)

Upvote 0

PublicNewSense

Jul 22, 2007
✟15,181.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I wish waiting for a feeling worked for me. If I had to wait for a feeling or something, I'd never write. For me, nothing cures writer's block like writing. Write one good sentence--doesn't matter what it's about--some super stud walking into a crowded room feeling hot but has a revealing price tag hanging on the back of his new pants. Believe me, it will take on a life of it's own. LOL

Upvote 0

WhoopsyDaisy

Aug 5, 2007
Southern USA
✟7,619.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Good old freewriting. Works for me EVERY time. I'm stuck on a certain part and have absolutely NO idea whatsoever how to proceed, so I'll open a fresh blank document if I'm typing or a new page if writing- and just write. ANYTHING. And do not stop. Do not lift your pen from the paper, don't let your fingers stop moving. Even if you can only write "I don't know what to write next, what next, what next?"

I've started off that way, only to progress to "ok, what if one day..." and so on. Just write whatever, any words, and in no time you'll have something. Just write for as long as you possibly can- then go back and read over what you wrote and there's bound to be something in there you can pull from. I've created entire story lines from sitting for an hour or two and freewriting. The only thing left to do is shape the story.

Good luck!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

IfIonlyhadabrain

May 5, 2006
✟8,751.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I've been keeping journals from the POV of my characters. Y'know, like when they were younger. It's been really helping me to see who these people are and what they went through in the past. It's like they say, "You can't know where you're going until you know where you've been."

I actually really like this idea. I think I'm going to start doing this with all of my main characters from now on.

Upvote 0