Wow, this is scary - what happens when recruiters really get desparate?

Sycophant

My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard
Mar 11, 2004
Auckland
✟13,070.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Mongoose said:
Yep. Those recruiters are nasty. I swear, that one recruiter called by like five times. He liked to focus on college students who had undecided majors, and I was one of them. Eventually, I told him that I was studying physics and astronomy to get him to leave me alone. It worked, and he hung up pretty fast after that and hasn't called me since. Interestingly enough though, now I actually am looking at doing a physics degree.

Tell them you are doing a double major in interior design and hair styling. That should sort them out - you won't be telling, and I'm guess that they won't ask :)

Upvote 0

MKalashnikov

No longer a member of CF. As per Romans 12:9
Jun 1, 2004
✟3,748.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
The story was never debunked, there was just one poster with ad hominem attacks on the news source. :p

Why can't you tell the truth?????

No poster ever said "You should discount the story because it came from a leftist site." (That would be Ad Hominem).

Instead what was said was that the story should be discounted because it was Paranoid, Delusional and Absurd.

Merely mentioning that it was posted on a leftist site doesn't make it Ad Hominem.

Of course, this was already explained to you.

Saying the site is leftist and horrible isn't debunking. ;)

That's not what was said, and you know it.

What was said was that the claims were the paranoid, delusional and absurd rantings of a teenager with an agenda. No Congressman is going to go IN PERSON to visit a recruiting station at the behest of a teenager.

No Recruiter is going to commit assault in an attempt to get a person into the Military.

The claims are baseless and untrue, and have been debunked. And no one committed Ad Hominem, no matter how much you want that to be the case.

Please learn what Ad Hominem actually means.

Upvote 0

chalice_thunder

Senior Veteran
Jan 13, 2004
Seattle
Visit site
✟7,202.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
dittomonkey911 said:
Why can't you tell the truth?????

No poster ever said "You should discount the story because it came from a leftist site." (That would be Ad Hominem).

Instead what was said was that the story should be discounted because it was Paranoid, Delusional and Absurd.

Merely mentioning that it was posted on a leftist site doesn't make it Ad Hominem.

Of course, this was already explained to you.

That's not what was said, and you know it.

What was said was that the claims were the paranoid, delusional and absurd rantings of a teenager with an agenda. No Congressman is going to go IN PERSON to visit a recruiting station at the behest of a teenager.

No Recruiter is going to commit assault in an attempt to get a person into the Military.

The claims are baseless and untrue, and have been debunked. And no one committed Ad Hominem, no matter how much you want that to be the case.

Please learn what Ad Hominem actually means.

There's still no link to show this was actually debunked. (thoroughly or otherwise!)

Upvote 0

xMinionX

Contributor
Dec 2, 2003
✟18,028.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
dittomonkey911 said:
What was said was that the claims were the paranoid, delusional and absurd rantings of a teenager with an agenda.
Ad Hominem in bold, but it's minor and not worth worrying about (to me).

However, the above does not debunk or disprove the story. Simply saying "Wow, that's a paranoid story, I don't think that happened" does not make it so. And that is basically what you said.

And that's all you can say, because there is no other source than this one. And nobody can prove it true any more than anyone can prove it false. We can say it's unlikely, but untrue? Not enough info to say that.

Upvote 0

Glaz

Obama '08
Jun 22, 2004
✟24,137.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
xMinionX said:

However, the above does not debunk or disprove the story. Simply saying "Wow, that's a paranoid story, I don't think that happened" does not make it so. And that is basically what you said.

And that's all you can say, because there is no other source than this one. And nobody can prove it true any more than anyone can prove it false. We can say it's unlikely, but untrue? Not enough info to say that.

The term for the story I would use is 'one sided'. But your right, it hasn't been de-bunked. We just don't know the whole story.

Upvote 0

Ninja Turtles

Secrecy and Accountability Cannot Co-Exist
Jan 18, 2005
✟3,971.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
xMinionX said:

That's what I'll say from now on, I don't believe, therefore it's not true. :D

SoupySales said:
The term for the story I would use is 'one sided'. But your right, it hasn't been de-bunked. We just don't know the whole story.
Exactly, we don't know if the story is true or false. I can imagine that the details are off, but I think the overall story about people trying to recruit by pretending to be your friend is true.

Upvote 0

MKalashnikov

No longer a member of CF. As per Romans 12:9
Jun 1, 2004
✟3,748.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private

Not quite, If I said that the story should be disbelieved because it was leftist, then you would be correct.

However I am saying that the Story should be disbelieved because it is absurd.

There is a distinct difference.

Claims of Recruiters committing assault and Congressman running in person to Recruiting stations at the behest of Teenagers is akin to me saying that aliens landed in my back yard.

If I say aliens landed in my back yard, there is no need to attempt to prove me wrong, the claim is absurd on it's face.

So do you think the story is likely?

Upvote 0

xMinionX

Contributor
Dec 2, 2003
✟18,028.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
dittomonkey911 said:

Not quite, If I said that the story should be disbelieved because it was leftist, then you would be correct.

However I am saying that the Story should be disbelieved because it is absurd.

There is a distinct difference.

Like I said, it doesn't matter.

Claims of Recruiters committing assault and Congressman running in person to Recruiting stations at the behest of Teenagers is akin to me saying that aliens landed in my back yard.

If I say aliens landed in my back yard, there is no need to attempt to prove me wrong, the claim is absurd on it's face.

They are all human, and more than capable of the above behavior. There might be a good, concerned, noble congressman out there. There might be a particularly aggressive team of recruiters who came off as intimidating and forceful (notice I give the recruiters the benefit of the doubt).

In any case, you coming into the thread and saying "That's absurd" does not disprove it, no matter how much you repeat it. Other people here read this and say "We're not getting the whole story here..." and leave it at that.

Did I say that?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

starchild

Even the least of these my brethren.
Oct 19, 2004
✟18,246.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
US-Democrat
dittomonkey911 said:

Before last fall, I wouldn't have thought it likely that the President of the United States of America would belittle himself enough to flip the bird to a group of teenagers standing on private property, holding protest signs.

But you learn something new every day.

Upvote 0

drboyd

Jun 27, 2004
✟3,316.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Having read some of the articles about the serious problems that Army recruiters are having getting kids to sign up, and the pressure that they're under to get recruits, it's not hard to believe that some of the recruiters cross over the line between assertive and agressive.

I'm still trying to find who debunked the story and where. Perhaps someone could help me with that.

And for those that have been recruiters and found it easy duty, was that in a time of war, where 1500 soldiers had been killed in the previous 24 months or so?

Reactions: starchild
Upvote 0

xMinionX

Contributor
Dec 2, 2003
✟18,028.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

That is more or less what was being considered "debunked."

Reactions: starchild
Upvote 0

starchild

Oct 19, 2004
✟18,246.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
US-Democrat
xMinionX said:
That is more or less what was being considered "debunked."
so, "I don't believe it, so you all better not believe it either, or you're a hate filled pinko-commie swine."

Some people play the same record over and over...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

xMinionX

Contributor
Dec 2, 2003
✟18,028.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
starchild said:
so, "I don't believe it, so you all better not believe it either, or you're a hate filled pinko-commie swine."

To be fair, he did back it up with personal experience as a recruiter. But another member also worked in recruiting for a time, and confirmed some of the parts of the story. His words were "Some of the rings true." So I think that is sort of balanced out.

Upvote 0

starchild

Oct 19, 2004
✟18,246.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
US-Democrat
xMinionX said:
To be fair, he did back it up with personal experience as a recruiter. But another member also worked in recruiting for a time, and confirmed some of the parts of the story. His words were "Some of the rings true." So I think that is sort of balanced out.

Recruiters lie, and always have. Not all recruiters, I'm sure... but many are like many used car salesmen...

It's not a far step from using lies to get something to using force or coercement.

Upvote 0

Alarum

Nov 5, 2004
✟6,792.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Democrat
starchild said:

We cannot debunk everything. We cannot debunk the claim that UFOs visited Boston last night and replaced 50% of the population with androids. However, we are not compelled to take the claim seriously based on the fact that we cannot immediately debunk it.

When the only proof that there is for the claim that a Congressmen went to a military recruitment center in a mall (wouldn't that spark at least a few news items? Local news?) and kids were harrassed in the mall by recruiters is a post in a blog... yeah right. It's not a matter of debunking or not, there's nothing to debunk. The claim doesn't have enough evidence to be made in the first place.

Do recruiters sometimes get a little intimidating? Sure. They're a bunch of big people in army uniforms. They probably have difficulty avoiding it. Do they apply psycological pressure? Sure. That's any salesman. Do I like the concept of them? No. Would they threaten someone physically? I have a hard time believing it.

Upvote 0

Jacey

WinJace
Jan 12, 2004
Atlanta
Visit site
✟5,805.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Democrat
drboyd said:
Having read some of the articles about the serious problems that Army recruiters are having getting kids to sign up, and the pressure that they're under to get recruits, it's not hard to believe that some of the recruiters cross over the line between assertive and agressive.

I'm still trying to find who debunked the story and where. Perhaps someone could help me with that.

And for those that have been recruiters and found it easy duty, was that in a time of war, where 1500 soldiers had been killed in the previous 24 months or so?

Recruiting is not easy duty. I don't know about the Army, but in the Marines it's the best of the best who go on recruiting duty. 60, 70, 80 hour work weeks are common, as is working 7 days. It's very stressful.

And yes, you are on quota, even though recruiters deny it (mine did). They're on "mission," they have a certain number to recruit each month. Those who got 4 or more in a month got awards. Being a successful recruiter made your career. Failing could potentially kill it.

Upvote 0