ukok

Freaked out, insecure, neurotic and Emotional
Mar 1, 2003
England
Visit site
✟19,706.00
Faith
Catholic
It can be difficult for a person who discerns a calling to be married, to meet likeminded, devout Catholics of the opposite sex. Would you consider joining a Catholic singles website that allowed you to view the profiles of hundreds/thousands of Catholics around the world, of the opposite sex, who you would otherwise never have the opportunity to interact with. (and you only interact with them via the site if you believe that you would be compatible to such an extent as for them to be possible spouse material- of course, things would progress slowly and cautiously) ?

Just one of those things a girl thinks about whern she is bored rigid!

God Bless.

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,282.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
ukok said:
It can be difficult for a person who discerns a calling to be married, to meet likeminded, devout Catholics of the opposite sex. Would you consider joining a Catholic singles website that allowed you to view the profiles of hundreds/thousands of Catholics around the world, of the opposite sex, who you would otherwise never have the opportunity to interact with. (and you only interact with them via the site if you believe that you would be compatible to such an extent as for them to be possible spouse material- of course, things would progress slowly and cautiously) ?

Just one of those things a girl thinks about whern she is bored rigid!

God Bless.
If I was single I would consider doing it. I mean look at it this way, could it be any different than getting to know the people you know here? You've developed some tight friendships...and it's hard to meet Catholics of the same sex even, (just to be friends with)- who are Catholic and serious about it.

I agree with the progressing slowly part. VERY slowly. That will give you enough time to really get a feel for it. I honestly think there are more nice people out there than there are weirdos. :)

I'm still going to email you by the way. I'll do it today. :)

Michelle

Upvote 0

Quijote

a.k.a Mr. Q
May 5, 2005
Wisconsin
✟40,638.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Being a guy, I have less to worry about the "weirdos" that can be in a site like that.

Having said that, I would try other more traditional ways of meeting likeminded Catholics (church's "single's" club, etc...) or maybe hang around a good CAtholic university.

cheers

Upvote 0

ukok

Mar 1, 2003
England
Visit site
✟19,706.00
Faith
Catholic
ej said:
Never in a million years. No way.

If it's to do with risk, we both know that you have made friends with people online and had them to stay in your home for a vacation...wasn't that a risk? Did you know that person 100% before you put yourself in that position?

So, if i'm missing the point, why not?

God Bless :)

Reactions: Miss Shelby
Upvote 0

ukok

Mar 1, 2003
England
Visit site
✟19,706.00
Faith
Catholic
Quijote said:
Being a guy, I have less to worry about the "weirdos" that can be in a site like that.

Having said that, I would try other more traditional ways of meeting likeminded Catholics (church's "single's" club, etc...) or maybe hang around a good CAtholic university.

cheers

Well, not that I suggested this topic as anything other than a hypothetical..but...I wouldn't look so cool hanging around a Catholic university with my two children in tow ;)..if this thread was about me..which of course, it couldn't possibly be :D

Upvote 0

ej

hopeless romantic
Apr 1, 2003
✟16,563.00
Faith
Catholic
ukok said:
If it's to do with risk, we both know that you have made friends with people online and had them to stay in your home for a vacation...wasn't that a risk? Did you know that person 100% before you put yourself in that position?

So, if i'm missing the point, why not?

God Bless :)

None of the people I have met were looking for romance - only friendship.

Call me naive, but I think there's an ENORMOUS difference :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ukok

Mar 1, 2003
England
Visit site
✟19,706.00
Faith
Catholic
Miss Shelby said:
If I was single I would consider doing it. I mean look at it this way, could it be any different than getting to know the people you know here? You've developed some tight friendships...and it's hard to meet Catholics of the same sex even, (just to be friends with)- who are Catholic and serious about it.

I agree with the progressing slowly part. VERY slowly. That will give you enough time to really get a feel for it. I honestly think there are more nice people out there than there are weirdos. :)

I'm still going to email you by the way. I'll do it today. :)

Michelle

Good point, Michelle :)

For example, I've met men in real time that have turned out to be total nut-jobs. Would it be any worse, realistically speaking, meeting someone who has to type up page after page about their Catholicity, what the Sacraments mean to them, what they are looking for in a spouse? Remember folks, this isn't a dating agency, the focus would be on finding a suitable marriage partner and it wouldn't be cheap to join, hence, it's a pretty serious committment.

God Bless

p.s. Hope you enjoyed Mexico my friend, that pay as you go internet access must have cost a bit! Look forward to hearing from you!

Upvote 0

ukok

Mar 1, 2003
England
Visit site
✟19,706.00
Faith
Catholic
ej said:
None of the people I have met were looking for romance - only friendship.

Call me naive, but I think there's an ENORMOUS difference :)

emma, maybe you weren't looking for romance, but are you certain that the other person wasn't anticipating a romantic interest, or at least hoping for something to be ignited between you? :)

Upvote 0

Quijote

a.k.a Mr. Q
May 5, 2005
Wisconsin
✟40,638.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
ukok said:
Well, not that I suggested this topic as anything other than a hypothetical..but...I wouldn't look so cool hanging around a Catholic university with my two children in tow ;)..if this thread was about me..which of course, it couldn't possibly be :D

lol, ^_^ :blush:

Well, to be totally honest, I don't hang around CAtholic colleges anymore ( I too would be towing my kids -three of them). Though, the wife and I met at a Catholic university and we were blessed to have a good group of Catholic friends.

cheers

Upvote 0

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,282.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
ukok said:
p.s. Hope you enjoyed Mexico my friend, that pay as you go internet access must have cost a bit! Look forward to hearing from you!
Actually it only cost about a buck thirty in American money, which is ridiculously cheap. :D But that didn't stop me from bemoaning about it in the Grail sticky thread at the top of the page.

I did have fun, but I got hurt. Slipped on a rock in the ocean and landed on a rock and dislodged my front tooth. But that was at the end of the trip. It still hurts though, but I will live. I am just glad it didn't crack or fall out.

Michelle

Upvote 0

krstlros

Currently Under Construction
Site Supporter
Jun 16, 2004
Within the arms of God
✟52,810.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I had thought about it a couple of times, especially when my cousin found her husband on one of these sites. But for some reason, I just couldn't bring myself to actually register myself for it. Don't know if it was fear, or just didn't want to do it because I was so happy being single.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ukok

Mar 1, 2003
England
Visit site
✟19,706.00
Faith
Catholic
Quijote said:
lol, ^_^ :blush:

Well, to be totally honest, I don't hang around CAtholic colleges anymore ( I too would be towing my kids -three of them). Though, the wife and I met at a Catholic university and we were blessed to have a good group of Catholic friends.

cheers

I'm very pleased for you and for your wife, and your 3 blessings! :clap:

As a convert to Catholicsm in her late thirties and in a parish with a high proportion of elderly singles and young married couples, meeting like-minded, similar aged, practicing Catholics faithful to the Magisterium is practically nil in the opportunity stakes :)

And to be honest, I don't want to go around wondering if every single male I see at Mass could be potential spouse material, so I'm not actively looking for anyone in my parish community, which is really the only community that I can be involved with at this time, due to the responsibilities I have of looking after my children as a lone parent. OK, so it's not so hypothetical! (I just know that I will regret this in the morning..haven't thought that for a few years)

God Bless.

Upvote 0

ukok

Mar 1, 2003
England
Visit site
✟19,706.00
Faith
Catholic
Miss Shelby said:
Actually it only cost about a buck thirty in American money, which is ridiculously cheap. :D But that didn't stop me from bemoaning about it in the Grail sticky thread at the top of the page.

I did have fun, but I got hurt. Slipped on a rock in the ocean and landed on a rock and dislodged my front tooth. But that was at the end of the trip. It still hurts though, but I will live. I am just glad it didn't crack or fall out.

Michelle

OUCH!!! Big :hug: sorry to hear that :hug:

Upvote 0

ukok

Mar 1, 2003
England
Visit site
✟19,706.00
Faith
Catholic
krstlros said:
I had thought about it a couple of times, especially when my cousin found her husband on one of these sites. But for some reason, I just couldn't bring myself to actually register myself for it. Don't know if it was fear, or just didn't want to do it because I was so happy being single.

I think it takes a bit of courage to actually quit thinking about it and go ahead and do it...and then, you might just think.."oh, what have I done!" But the good thing about it is that you don't have to initiate contact with anyone if you don't want to, and you don't have to respond to anyone that contacts you if you don't really think that their profile reveals a personality that you could/would want to explore a friendship with :)

I'd love to hear more about your cousins experience...unless it would be betraying a confidence to do so, of course. :)

God Bless.

Upvote 0

krstlros

Currently Under Construction
Site Supporter
Jun 16, 2004
Within the arms of God
✟52,810.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
ukok said:
I think it takes a bit of courage to actually quit thinking about it and go ahead and do it...and then, you might just think.."oh, what have I done!" But the good thing about it is that you don't have to initiate contact with anyone if you don't want to, and you don't have to respond to anyone that contacts you if you don't really think that their profile reveals a personality that you could/would want to explore a friendship with :)

I'd love to hear more about your cousins experience...unless it would be betraying a confidence to do so, of course. :)

God Bless.
Considering her wedding was part of a "Lifetime Network Special" on weddings, I think it's okay. ;)

I can't exactly remember the circomstances that prompted her to sign up for one of the single search sites. However, I think it had to do with her having time to really do the "going out" thing that experts tell you you have to do in order to meet your prospective spouse. In any case, they saw each other's profile and emailed each other. As it turned out, it took them a while to get connected as they wer eplaying "email tag" with each other. Eventually, they started corresponding via email, and met and started having a relationship. Him living in a neighboring state didn't seem to bother her all that much. But the problem she had was, as a lot of cases, commitment and what she had to give up if she moved to where he lived. (She has a successful career as a lawyer.) Then September 11th happened and she had to re-evaluate her priorities as to whether their relationship was worth her giving up everything and moving to where he lived. And as you can guess, it was "yes".

As it turned out, he moved to where she lives and they now have a beautiful one and a half year old son and a cute little dog named Lester.

Upvote 0

ukok

Mar 1, 2003
England
Visit site
✟19,706.00
Faith
Catholic
Wow, Krstlros, that's a great story!

I realise that there are probably as many failures as there are successes, but it's great to hear about the relationships that do work!

I think that whole geographical thing really is a concern though. The committments that we have to others (caring for elderly parents for example), could impose a huge strain on the eventual success or failure of a long distance relationship. I'm very pleased that your cousin and her husband managed to work everything out :)

God Bless.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.