Would like to know more about the Charismatic Catholic Renewal

Jan 22, 2012
✟7,739.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi all!

I have been born again for about 20 years now. All of my Christian days I have always attended Protestant churches. I first attended a Baptist church, then Pentecostal, then Word of Life (AOG, similar to Word of Faith), then the Toronto Blessing! Now I attend a renewal focussed United Church.

I have always been interested in the Catholic Church, however I have never attended a service, or mass. But being where I am today, spiritually, I would not want to attend any Catholic Church that is not Charismatic.

I live in Southern Ontario.

Can anyone help? What is it like to attend a Charismatic Catholic Church? Do they sing contemporary songs? Do they have miracle services? are there many manifestations of the Spirit?

Reactions: RuthD

GoldenKingGaze

Prevent Slavery, support the persecuted.
Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟251,830.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
It is up to the priest, or leader. Fr Kevin English PP did Benny Hinn style ministry. Another group has a roster of charismatic priests. Another one here in Sydney did songs, gifts of the Spirit, a reading and teaching, and then prayers, with the laying on of hands.

Since the Toronto Blessing, there seems to be less of the gifts of the Spirit, but another community here called the Servants of Jesus had a service called the Blessing of the Father's Heart, which did well.

Contact the CCR office near you and shop.

Upvote 0

jakael02

Sep 27, 2012
Louisville, Kentucky
✟7,927.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It is up to the priest, or leader. Fr Kevin English PP did Benny Hinn style ministry. Another group has a roster of charismatic priests. Another one here in Sydney did songs, gifts of the Spirit, a reading and teaching, and then prayers, with the laying on of hands.

What is a worship service without the Eucharist? What is this "laying on of hands"? Was he conferring an ordination or commissioning of an office? I'm curious.

Kindly - James

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
What is a worship service without the Eucharist? What is this "laying on of hands"? Was he conferring an ordination or commissioning of an office? I'm curious.

Kindly - James
a worship service without the Eucharist is just that, a worship service
while the Mass is the highest form of worship and a solmn occasion, it is not the only form of worship.

about the laying on of hands I am not sure, i think in this case it is just praying over someone, like when you go to confession, sometimes the Priest puts his hands above you as he prays

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
no no no
a long time ago some of Catholics on this site were being very critical of the Pope
so some of us changed our flags to vatican flags as a sign of support for the Pope

if you look you will see my location is listed as "ohio"
Blessings: 34,793,086 [Check]
My Mood
Praying.gif

Reps: 1,498,810,789,963,940,352 (power: 1,498,810,789,963,966)
reputation_goldstar.gif
reputation_goldstar.gif
reputation_goldstar.gif
reputation_goldstar.gif
reputation_goldstar.gif
reputation_silverstar.gif
reputation_bronzestar.gif

reputation_green.gif
reputation_green.gif
reputation_green.gif
reputation_green.gif
reputation_green.gif
reputation_greenh.gif
reputation_greenh.gif
reputation_greenh.gif
reputation_greenh.gif
reputation_greenh.gif
reputation_gold.gif
reputation_gold.gif
reputation_gold.gif
reputation_gold.gif
reputation_gold.gif

Upvote 0

vanillaicecream

Melting...
Dec 20, 2012
✟19,996.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I'm catholic and also charismatic, our masses are usually solemn and are very much attached to the liturgical practices specially when the priests are strict and are by the book. But I know some priests that are charismatic and preside "healing masses", it's practically the same as the liturgical mass, except that some songs being sung are charismatic (e.g. hillsong, planetshakers, etc.) and at the end of the mass there is laying of the hands and pray over. :)

Hope this helps. God Bless!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GoldenKingGaze

Prevent Slavery, support the persecuted.
Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟251,830.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
Fr Kevin did a worship service mixed into a mass, with the eucharist.

The laying on of hands is the origin of ordination as a tradition, but you read in the Gospel Jesus laid hands on the sick to heal them.

They manifest falling, tongues, healings, and sometimes outpour Jesus' blood to clean the heart...

Upvote 0

parsonsmom

Aug 14, 2011
✟8,318.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Hi all!

I have been born again for about 20 years now. All of my Christian days I have always attended Protestant churches. I first attended a Baptist church, then Pentecostal, then Word of Life (AOG, similar to Word of Faith), then the Toronto Blessing! Now I attend a renewal focussed United Church.

I have always been interested in the Catholic Church, however I have never attended a service, or mass. But being where I am today, spiritually, I would not want to attend any Catholic Church that is not Charismatic.

Can anyone help? What is it like to attend a Charismatic Catholic Church? Do they sing contemporary songs? Do they have miracle services? are there many manifestations of the Spirit?

=================================================
==================================================

Greetings to you. I'm not Catholic but I have a lot to say. I teach the Word
without compromise. Parsonsmom.

Upvote 0

plmarquette

Veteran
Oct 5, 2004
Auburn , IL.
✟4,379.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
www.garg.com ... think is a charismatic catholic site ...

www.cfaith.com ... word of faith area

1 Corinthians 12 gifts of the spirit , ministry gifts ....Ephesians 4.11-12 , Isiah 59.17; 120 priests and singers .... temple of Solomon ; 120 in the upper room ... the glory of God and the spirit of God.... Daniel 7 ancient of days, Revelation 1 Jesus vision , glorified.....

Upvote 0

iansek

Mar 18, 2015
✟7,685.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
In my town i have attended a few charismatic catholic gatherings. It really depends on the parish. In one place the music is lively and i was really moved to tears to see my sinfulness like i had never before. I was also moved to pray less about my financial situation as i received assurance that He knows my need.

I would never say do not go even though i am a non denominational christian and have been influenced by many anti catholic christians. I have issues with the adoration of mary, the saints and the statues though.

Upvote 0

parsonsmom

Aug 14, 2011
✟8,318.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status

Kindly - James

Laying on of Hands is a point of Contact. it is coming to agreement with the Word of God and the person.

the laying on of hands was associated with the receiving of the Holy Spirit (See Acts 8:14-19). Initially the Apostles laid hands on new believers as well as believers. (See Acts 6:5-6).

Matthew 28:19-20 contains what has come to be called the Great Commission: “Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you.

there is a lot more; I use google to find references.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

parsonsmom

Aug 14, 2011
✟8,318.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Hi all!

===================================================================================================================================================

Grettings to you; I was interested in the renewel of the Catholic; it started when a young Priest got born again; Filled with the Holy Spirit ; and came back to his perishan got a microphone got out in the audience an started preaching; during this a woman stood up an said; Just tell us how to get this Holy Spirit. So the Pope Francis is a born again believer. You can see the video on Kenneth Copeland ministries. You will find some great teachings there also.

Laying on of hands is a point of contact between God and mankind.
Mark 16:15--; He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature. 16 He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned. 17 And these signs will follow those who believe: In My name they will cast out demons; they will speak with new tongues; they will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover.”

Matthew 28:19-20 contains what has come to be called the Great Commission: “Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you.

Mark 6:5;He could do no mighty work there, except that He laid His hands on a few sick people and healed them. 6 And He marveled because of their unbelief. Then He went about the villages in a circuit, teaching.
Luke13:13).Jesus saw her, He called her to Him and said to her, “Woman, you are loosed from your infirmity.” 13 And He laid His hands on her, and immediately she was made straight, and glorified God.
Most people will say; But that was Jesus; but look at what He said; matt. 28:

It was not just His Disciples that were there; there were his followers;

Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. 19 Go therefore[c] and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Amen

Upvote 0

Theatreguy18

The Episcopal avenger
Jun 15, 2015
Charleston S.C.
✟13,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
In my town i have attended a few charismatic catholic gatherings. It really depends on the parish. In one place the music is lively and i was really moved to tears to see my sinfulness like i had never before. I was also moved to pray less about my financial situation as i received assurance that He knows my need.

I would never say do not go even though i am a non denominational christian and have been influenced by many anti catholic christians. I have issues with the adoration of mary, the saints and the statues though.
We don't adore the statue it's like having a picture of a passed on relative it a memorial thing and Timothy tells us to seek the intercession of saints in the scriptures also Jesus gave us Mary on the cross when he gave her to John he gave her to his church as a mother figure

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Hi all!

I too first attended a Baptist church, then a non-denominational pentecostal church and then the Catholic Church. When I entered the Catholic church, I also joined a Catholic Charismatic Renewal prayer group. There are such groups in over 150 countries. The only places I know that have charismatic Catholic churches are in Africa and Asia. For the rest of us, the prayer group is the heart of our charismatic worship. Such prayer meetings are usually once a week. Some are inter-denominational, some are not. CCR conferences tend to be inter-denominational.

So, there is a division. Some churches have charismatic healing services (sometimes once a month). Many have annual Life In The Spirit seminars (very similar to "alpha"). But mostly the main place for charismatic Catholics is in their parer groups, although most are active in their churches.

A prayer meeting usually consists of lots of praise and worship music. There is a time for prophesy, and for manifestation of other gifts. A healing team is almost always present after (sometimes during) the meeting. Sometimes there is a speaker. On special occasions there is a mass. Prayer groups will almost always be part of a network that sponsors and knows about charismatic healing services.

As a note on the music, it may vary from prayer group to prayer group. We used the "Holy Is Lord" prayer group when I was in the Northeast. I haven't yet joined since I retired. I think the music now may more Hillsong type worship than before. You might check out the songs I inserted below.

I trust that you have decided against Catch The Fire churches in Toronto. Wow! 20 years since the Toronto Blessing and the gift of laughing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcMPz77I_ZQ

ADVICE
Check out Catholic Charismatic Renewal on the internet, and call or contact one of the pastoral team. Then Taste and See.

Catholic Charismatic Songs on youtube has 87 selections.

Last edited:
Upvote 0