Would it be wrong for a non-catholic to enter a confession booth?

MichaelKelley

Sinner Saved By Grace
Jul 28, 2010
Eads, TN
Visit site
✟15,686.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I'm not considering it, but I received a text message from a friend of mine about it. I tried to explain why I didn't think it would be "wrong," but how I didn't know why they would since confessing before a priest is not necessary for salvation.

I realize the confession of sins to other Christians is biblical and I explained that to him, bringing up the verse in James, that we are to confess our sins to one another, but there's only so much I could say in a text message.

I believe that it's good to have a trusting friend as a "prayer partner" who is of the same sex and they can talk about what they are struggling with with each other. And pray for each other and encourage each other daily, but I don't think confession before a priest is necessary.

What do you all think? Is it wrong, and even if it is not wrong, is it something that one she get involved in or leave alone anyway?

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
if you have sinned against someone, ask them for forgiveness and repent to them. If you sin against God, ask Christ for forgiveness and repent. Do not ask a man to pardon your sins against God, because no man can pardon those sins.

Upvote 0

MichaelKelley

Sinner Saved By Grace
Jul 28, 2010
Eads, TN
Visit site
✟15,686.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
if you have sinned against someone, ask them for forgiveness and repent to them. If you sin against God, ask Christ for forgiveness and repent. Do not ask a man to pardon your sins against God, because no man can pardon those sins.

Thanks for the info!

This may be a bit off the topic of my original post, but I happened to think, what if someone doesn't ask for forgiveness nor quite frankly wants to be forgiven? Does the Bible actually say we are to forgive those who don't ask, because I happened to think, God doesn't forgive us if we don't ask. Would God ask us to do something that even He is unwilling to do??

Upvote 0

Osage Bluestem

Galatians 5:1
Dec 27, 2010
Texas
Visit site
✟11,711.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What do you all think? Is it wrong, and even if it is not wrong, is it something that one she get involved in or leave alone anyway?

I think it is buying into the system that says you need a priest to stand between you and Jesus in order to be forgiven. If you don't believe that then you shouldn't do it. Jesus is our priest and our mediator. We do not need a roman catholic priest to come between us and our Lord.

1 Timothy 2:5
5 For there is one God and one mediator between God and mankind, the man Christ Jesus,

We should not go to a priest for our forgiveness. We should go to the Lord.

Upvote 0
B

Benevolous

I'm not considering it, but I received a text message from a friend of mine about it. I tried to explain why I didn't think it would be "wrong," but how I didn't know why they would since confessing before a priest is not necessary for salvation.

I realize the confession of sins to other Christians is biblical and I explained that to him, bringing up the verse in James, that we are to confess our sins to one another, but there's only so much I could say in a text message.

I believe that it's good to have a trusting friend as a "prayer partner" who is of the same sex and they can talk about what they are struggling with with each other. And pray for each other and encourage each other daily, but I don't think confession before a priest is necessary.

It wouldn't be wrong, per se (at least not morally wrong), but it would definitely show a wrong understanding of how we are forgiven, and how we are to repent.

We don't confess our sins to sinful men for forgiveness, nor do we believe that they have the authority to forgive sins. And we certainly don't follow their command to do "acts of contrition" to receive absolution.

If a person is born again, then their sins are already forgiven. They need to go to God in confession and repentance, not so that they will be forgiven, but so that they will have a right relationship with God.

My son is reading this over my shoulder and he says it's like "defragging the hard drive of your heart". I have no idea what that means, but it sounds kind of cool.

If a person isn't born again, then their sins are NOT forgiven and no priest in a little box is able to forgive them. What they need to do is to go some place private and cry out to God, acknowledging that they're a sinner, and repenting for their sins, and acknowledge by faith that Christ died in their place, the sinless for the sinner, to pay their sin debt and purchase their atonement.

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
you can just say that you are not Catholic and do not expecting absolution but just have some issues you want to talk about and someone to pray with
like i am 99% sure that the priest would be very understanding, but the wheat and tares grow side by side so there is a chance you might find a bad one, just like there is a chance you find a bad baptist pastor

Upvote 0

MichaelKelley

Sinner Saved By Grace
Jul 28, 2010
Eads, TN
Visit site
✟15,686.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
It wouldn't be wrong, per se (at least not morally wrong), but it would definitely show a wrong understanding of how we are forgiven, and how we are to repent.

We don't confess our sins to sinful men for forgiveness, nor do we believe that they have the authority to forgive sins. And we certainly don't follow their command to do "acts of contrition" to receive absolution.

If a person is born again, then their sins are already forgiven. They need to go to God in confession and repentance, not so that they will be forgiven, but so that they will have a right relationship with God.

My son is reading this over my shoulder and he says it's like "defragging the hard drive of your heart". I have no idea what that means, but it sounds kind of cool.

If a person isn't born again, then their sins are NOT forgiven and no priest in a little box is able to forgive them. What they need to do is to go some place private and cry out to God, acknowledging that they're a sinner, and repenting for their sins, and acknowledge by faith that Christ died in their place, the sinless for the sinner, to pay their sin debt and purchase their atonement.

"Defragging the hard drive of your heart."

I like that. I think it's talking about when you're computer starts to run files really slow, you defrag it, which organizes all the files so the hard drive doesn't have to work as hard to run the files.

In a spiritual sense, when our spiritual life begins to diminish and we don't seem to have the same "fire" that we had early on in our Christian walk, it may be time to "defrag" our hearts, so we can better serve our Lord with the "fire" we once had.

I really like that. I'll have to remember to use it. :)

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Thanks for the info!

This may be a bit off the topic of my original post, but I happened to think, what if someone doesn't ask for forgiveness nor quite frankly wants to be forgiven? Does the Bible actually say we are to forgive those who don't ask, because I happened to think, God doesn't forgive us if we don't ask. Would God ask us to do something that even He is unwilling to do??

For the sake of the question proposed in the OP, I don't think it's a matter or right or wrong as much as it's a matter of beneficial or not. I don't think it's beneficial. Maybe you could suggest that instead of talking to a priest she should talk to God about it.

Back to our deviation :) True faith is how we are forgiven. The thief on the cross had real faith, and by that he was saved. That said, I'm sure if he had time to truly repent of all the sins in his life he'd do it and go through all the emotional processes that we, with time, do...he didn't have that luxury. I agree with your sentiments. Those who are truly sorry will ask for forgiveness.

Upvote 0
D

dies-l

I don't know what Catholic theology has to say. But, from my perspective, if a person needs to confess a sin and feels most comfortable sharing it with a priest, then I would encourage that. It is often very helpful to tell someone your "secrets" and some people feel more comfortable doing that with a priest, who is usually pretty experienced at hearing people's confessions.

Reactions: Winter
Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I don't know what Catholic theology has to say. But, from my perspective, if a person needs to confess a sin and feels most comfortable sharing it with a priest, then I would encourage that. It is often very helpful to tell someone your "secrets" and some people feel more comfortable doing that with a priest, who is usually pretty experienced at hearing people's confessions.
if i may,
the sacrements will not be offered to christians who are not members of the Roman Catholic Church but the priest will normally be more then happy to talk with and pray with non-Catholics durring the normal time for confession, just please be open and say explain that you are not Catholic and just looking for someone to talk to

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MichaelKelley

Sinner Saved By Grace
Jul 28, 2010
Eads, TN
Visit site
✟15,686.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
For the sake of the question proposed in the OP, I don't think it's a matter or right or wrong as much as it's a matter of beneficial or not. I don't think it's beneficial. Maybe you could suggest that instead of talking to a priest she should talk to God about it.

Back to our deviation :) True faith is how we are forgiven. The thief on the cross had real faith, and by that he was saved. That said, I'm sure if he had time to truly repent of all the sins in his life he'd do it and go through all the emotional processes that we, with time, do...he didn't have that luxury. I agree with your sentiments. Those who are truly sorry will ask for forgiveness.

I wasn't talking about the thief on the cross. I believe he was saved, as He called out to Jesus. I just happened to think of that and didn't know of any verses that specifically addressed it. I think it's just something that we'll never really know until we get to heaven.

Upvote 0
T

The Maltese Momma

God already knows that you've sinned. Why would someone need an intermediary? You don't. Jesus took care of that at the Cross. He talked and prayed to the Father, and since He is our example, you follow what He did. There is a Scripture that Jesus spoke that you don't call anyone else on earth Father. If I knew where it was I would quote it. Sorry.:)

Upvote 0

MichaelKelley

Sinner Saved By Grace
Jul 28, 2010
Eads, TN
Visit site
✟15,686.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
God already knows that you've sinned. Why would someone need an intermediary? You don't. Jesus took care of that at the Cross. He talked and prayed to the Father, and since He is our example, you follow what He did. There is a Scripture that Jesus spoke that you don't call anyone else on earth Father. If I knew where it was I would quote it. Sorry.:)

I know that Scripture. I don't think he was saying that the priest could forgive him, but just needed someone to talk to. That's why in my message I brought up the passage in James that tells us to "confess [our] sins to one another."

I believe that having a trusting friend as a "prayer partner" is critical for the Christian walk so that one does not fall away. James addresses this. I believe that it needs to be a trusting friend who is of the same sex, however. Not a priest, as a person may not know the priest very well, and their subconscious may prevent them from saying their "deepest sins" without them knowing it.

Upvote 0
D

Deleteriousnonsense

I will tell you why I go to confession. I believe in Grace. Jesus instituted certain forms of worship, called Sacraments, by which we can obtain Grace. The greatest of these is the Holy Eucharist, in which we share in His sacrifice on Calvary. It is necessary that just as Jesus went to the Cross absent from sin, that we go to the Eucharist, absent from sin. Reconciliation, or confession, gives us the Grace to do so. I sin constantly, so I confess before another witness, in this case my priest, those sins of which I am aware and those of which I am not. As an ordained minister of Christ the priest has the authority to grant me absolution, but he never does so without giving me a penance. Usually this consists of an appropriate prayer and/or scripture reading. Now I know my sins have been forgiven me, and that Jesus has paid my debt, but through confession before a second witness (Christ being the first), and through prayer, and penance, I recieve the Grace not to keep sinning those same sins of which I have confessed. Entering into a state of Grace, I can approach the the Altar and recieve the Body and Blood of the Lord Jesus Christ with a clear conscience, thereby recieving even greater Grace to do my Lord's will. If it is something you are not familiar with it may seem strange to you. But trust me, it works.

Upvote 0

MichaelKelley

Sinner Saved By Grace
Jul 28, 2010
Eads, TN
Visit site
✟15,686.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I will tell you why I go to confession. I believe in Grace. Jesus instituted certain forms of worship, called Sacraments, by which we can obtain Grace. The greatest of these is the Holy Eucharist, in which we share in His sacrifice on Calvary. It is necessary that just as Jesus went to the Cross absent from sin, that we go to the Eucharist, absent from sin. Reconciliation, or confession, gives us the Grace to do so. I sin constantly, so I confess before another witness, in this case my priest, those sins of which I am aware and those of which I am not. As an ordained minister of Christ the priest has the authority to grant me absolution, but he never does so without giving me a penance. Usually this consists of an appropriate prayer and/or scripture reading. Now I know my sins have been forgiven me, and that Jesus has paid my debt, but through confession before a second witness (Christ being the first), and through prayer, and penance, I recieve the Grace not to keep sinning those same sins of which I have confessed. Entering into a state of Grace, I can approach the the Altar and recieve the Body and Blood of the Lord Jesus Christ with a clear conscience, thereby recieving even greater Grace to do my Lord's will. If it is something you are not familiar with it may seem strange to you. But trust me, it works.

Interesting. Can you give Scripture to back that up? Also, can you give Scripture to back up what you said about Yeshua/Jesus instituting the Sacraments so we can obtain grace?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

blessedmomof5

Contributor
Jan 4, 2005
ny
✟79,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
to answere your original question, i think it would be wrong especially if you do not follow there beliefs on confession.....

I never thought of it like that before, do we need to forgive if someone does not ask to be forgiven?
this is what came to mind, but as i looked it up it was amazing to see how many ppl interpet diffferently
In Matthew 18:21, 22, Peter asks Jesus “How many times shall I forgive my brother? Seven times? “ And Jesus says, ‘not seven times but seventy times seven’.

Thanks for the info!

Upvote 0

MichaelKelley

Sinner Saved By Grace
Jul 28, 2010
Eads, TN
Visit site
✟15,686.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
to answere your original question, i think it would be wrong especially if you do not follow there beliefs on confession.....

I never thought of it like that before, do we need to forgive if someone does not ask to be forgiven?
this is what came to mind, but as i looked it up it was amazing to see how many ppl interpet diffferently
In Matthew 18:21, 22, Peter asks Jesus “How many times shall I forgive my brother? Seven times? “ And Jesus says, ‘not seven times but seventy times seven’.

Why would "their beliefs" have anything to do with it being right or wrong? Couldn't it only be right or wrong according according to what Scripture says? We wouldn't say that Muslims bowing their heads as a group of Christians prayed to Yeshua was wrong, even though Muslims believe it to be wrong.

And to the second question, Peter said "my brother" in that verse, implying that it is speaking of other followers. So, are we supposed to forgive those who don't ask; would God tell us to do something that even He is unwilling to do?

Upvote 0
B

Basil the Great

I am not Catholic and I could be mistaken, but I suspect that Catholic confession is available to non-Catholics, but probably only if they believe in the Catholic view of confession. However, it is hard for me to believe that one would accept the Catholic/Eastern Orthodox view of the Sacrament of Confession, if he or she was not Catholic or Orthodox, although such is certainly theoretically possible. I do know that the Catholic Eucharist is available to Protestants in the very rare situation where they believe in the Catholic understanding of the sacrament and they reside in an area where Holy Communion from their Protestant tradition is unavailable. (ex: a Protestant who is residing in a Catholic nation like Portugal, Spain, Italy, etc.) However, in such a rare situation, it would seem that the Protestant would probably have to go to Catholic confession in advance, on the presumption that he probably would have committed some mortal sin/grave sin in the past and taking the Eucharist while in a state of mortal sin is a very grave matter. While I cannot recall for certain reading that Catholic Confession is available to Protestants like I have read re: Catholic Communion, albeit in very rare circumstances, it would logically seem that Catholic Confession would just about have to be available for Protestants as well, but I just do not know under what exact circumstances such would be deemed appropriate.

As for myself, I believe that only God can forgive sins. However, I see nothing wrong with a Christian confessing sins to a priest or a minister.

Last edited:
Upvote 0