✟22,092.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Read this:

1 The LORD said to Samuel, "How long will you mourn for Saul, since I have rejected him as king over Israel? Fill your horn with oil and be on your way; I am sending you to Jesse of Bethlehem. I have chosen one of his sons to be king."
2 But Samuel said, "How can I go? Saul will hear about it and kill me."
The LORD said, "Take a heifer with you and say, 'I have come to sacrifice to the LORD.' 3 Invite Jesse to the sacrifice, and I will show you what to do. You are to anoint for me the one I indicate."

Did God instruct Samuel to hide the reason for this journey by cloaking it in a sacrifice?

In other words:
Did God tell Samuel to lie to Saul about his journey?

Thoughts?

John O.

ANM29

Nov 11, 2003
In My Father's Hands..No Safer Place To Be
✟10,354.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
No, God did not lie IMO.

I can go with this a few ways, but he did not lie.

Remember how Moses was commanded to go and confront Pharoah and he was afraid..God told him pretty much, "Ok..take Aaron with you"..and was pretty much saying IMO, I have told you to go, but if you need help to make the situation as stressfree as possible, I will allow you to take Aaron with you..But, the ultimate goal was for Moses to do what the Lord commanded.

Same here with the prophet. He was afraid to go to Jesse, because of his fear of Saul..So, from what I see God told him to take the sacrifice and offer it up ( Gods way of showing him that he is with him..and God could have used that burnt offering as a sacrifice to stop whatever plan Saul could have had to kill him later after finding out....But, the ultimate goal was to have David anointed as King as God commanded.

Sometimes God will throw something into a plan to help us, that we ask for, or that we did not ask for or expect..But, he uses it to push us to do what he has called us to do. It is about the ends justifying the means/means justifying the end a lot of times when it comes to God. :) He can and will use whatever it takes to help us in anything he has called any of us to do. Even trouble he can use to get us to the next level in some area in our lives as well.

JMO.

Upvote 0

jeolmstead

-That’s me in the corner, losing my religion
Apr 27, 2006
Memphis, TN USA
✟22,092.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We don't understand some scriptures but Yahweh isn't going to someone to lie.

I agree with anm29 - He's giving Samuel a way out.

jive4005 - can you give a little more info on the scripture you're referring to?
I think this is what rev was refering to:

1. 1 Kings 22:22
    " 'By what means?' the LORD asked. " 'I will go out and be a lying spirit in the mouths of all his prophets,' he said. " 'You will succeed in enticing him,' said the LORD. 'Go and do it.'
    1 Kings 22:21-23 (in Context) 1 Kings 22 (Whole Chapter)
  2. 1 Kings 22:23
    "So now the LORD has put a lying spirit in the mouths of all these prophets of yours. The LORD has decreed disaster for you."
    1 Kings 22:22-24 (in Context) 1 Kings 22 (Whole Chapter)
  3. 2 Chronicles 18:21
    " 'I will go and be a lying spirit in the mouths of all his prophets,' he said. " 'You will succeed in enticing him,' said the LORD. 'Go and do it.'
    2 Chronicles 18:20-22 (in Context) 2 Chronicles 18 (Whole Chapter)
  4. 2 Chronicles 18:22
    "So now the LORD has put a lying spirit in the mouths of these prophets of yours. The LORD has decreed disaster for you."
    2 Chronicles 18:21-23 (in Context) 2 Chronicles 18 (Whole Chapter)
John O.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HephzibahBenJudah

Daughter of Zion
Oct 31, 2006
Florida
✟128,051.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No...when anointing or making any decision that requires Gods' answer; it was customary to offer a sacrifice. We should do more of that ourselves. Not in animals but in time, money, resources, praises when we don't feel like it etc.

Upvote 0

ShammahBenJudah

Son of Zion
Oct 31, 2006
USA
✟80,573.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I 'm not sure of this case, but I remember an angel telling God he would get the enemy's priests to lie!

Trust not to your own knowledge...

rev

I remember this...the reference doesn't come to mind ATM...I'll see if I can find it.

I'm not sure I can say that a soveriegn act of withholding intelligence from an someone would constitute lieing though.

If withholding the truth is lieing then what of this:

What then? Israel has not obtained what it seeks; but the elect have obtained it, and the rest were blinded. Just as it is written:

"God has given them a spirit of stupor,
Eyes that they should not see
And ears that they should not hear,
To this very day."

Romans 11:7-8

Upvote 0

ANM29

Nov 11, 2003
In My Father's Hands..No Safer Place To Be
✟10,354.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
No...when anointing or making any decision that requires Gods' answer; it was customary to offer a sacrifice. We should do more of that ourselves. Not in animals but in time, money, resources, praises when we don't feel like it etc.

This is also another side of it..I agree..

Upvote 0

jeolmstead

-That’s me in the corner, losing my religion
Apr 27, 2006
Memphis, TN USA
✟22,092.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I remember this...the reference doesn't come to mind ATM...I'll see if I can find it.

I'm not sure I can say that a soveriegn act of withholding intelligence from an someone would constitute lieing though.

If withholding the truth is lieing then what of this:

What then? Israel has not obtained what it seeks; but the elect have obtained it, and the rest were blinded. Just as it is written:

"God has given them a spirit of stupor,
Eyes that they should not see
And ears that they should not hear,
To this very day."

Romans 11:7-8
  1. 1 Kings 22:22
    " 'By what means?' the LORD asked. " 'I will go out and be a lying spirit in the mouths of all his prophets,' he said. " 'You will succeed in enticing him,' said the LORD. 'Go and do it.'
    1 Kings 22:21-23 (in Context) 1 Kings 22 (Whole Chapter)
  2. 1 Kings 22:23
    "So now the LORD has put a lying spirit in the mouths of all these prophets of yours. The LORD has decreed disaster for you."
    1 Kings 22:22-24 (in Context) 1 Kings 22 (Whole Chapter)
  3. 2 Chronicles 18:21
    " 'I will go and be a lying spirit in the mouths of all his prophets,' he said. " 'You will succeed in enticing him,' said the LORD. 'Go and do it.'
    2 Chronicles 18:20-22 (in Context) 2 Chronicles 18 (Whole Chapter)
  4. 2 Chronicles 18:22
    "So now the LORD has put a lying spirit in the mouths of these prophets of yours. The LORD has decreed disaster for you."
    2 Chronicles 18:21-23 (in Context) 2 Chronicles 18 (Whole Chapter)
John O.

Reactions: jive4005
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.