Worship team blues

tyler4588

Apr 6, 2002
California
✟15,319.00
Faith
Christian
Bertie, while I agree with you that it is praise and worship that puts us "in the spirit", and that music has a way of doing this, I just don't think that we should depend on music to do this. What of the missionary that goes into the jungle without a musical instrument? Does he or she no longer meet with God in an emotional way. I'm not saying that your views of music are wrong. I agree, music can bring us closer to God in an emotional way, but it is not the only means, and should not be treated as such.

Upvote 0

Mr. 5020

Jan 7, 2005
Texas
✟8,071.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
vanilla8 said:
I've never heard of an afterglow service before but I am very interested. I expect it means re-starting worship after the preaching. Anybody got any further information, particularly on how God moved during?
I admit to getting frustrated in the same way as the OP. I heard Tommy Tenny saying something like this 'The worship is the only thing God gets out of the service. He isn't listning and asking the angels to make notes on the sermon' Thats not a direct quote, just from memory.
It can be restarting worship after the sermon, but most of the times I've seen it, it has been its own service, like on Sunday evening.

Upvote 0

dancin' moosen

May 7, 2005
Vancouver
✟15,234.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
bertie said:
its praise and worship that puts us "in the spirit".

Hi Bertie,
I actually really liked a lot of what you had to say. Good on ya for opening up this discussion! It was just this one phrase quoted above that I had issues with. Praise should be a result of being in the spirit, not a cause. An expression, not simply a tool. Yes, we experience God in these moments, and they may even move us closer to Him, but it wouldn't be biblical to say that we must sing in order to recieve the Spirit. Maybe that is not what you meant to say, I was just hoping to clarify.

Blessings,
D'M

Upvote 0

Determinedheart

Mar 30, 2006
Alberta
✟8,237.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
This is a great topic!:clap: I heard a story once about a pastor who was talking to God and God said to him "That sure is a great ministry you have there" and the Pastor replied thank you! And then God said to him "So what about My ministry?" mmmm:amen:
Those words really impacted me.I think we really do need to be in tune with what God is doing and just go with it .I think alot more things would happen if we were'nt fighting the Lord for control . :preach:
Just a thought ! God bless :wave:

Upvote 0

ZionFire

Mar 16, 2006
Kansas City
Visit site
✟15,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Determinedheart said:
This is a great topic!:clap: I heard a story once about a pastor who was talking to God and God said to him "That sure is a great ministry you have there" and the Pastor replied thank you! And then God said to him "So what about My ministry?" mmmm:amen:
I also feel many pastors may be uncomfortable with lingering in Praise & Worship, and may feel they are losing control of the service.

I agree this is an issue a lot of the time. I have to say I can certainly identify with the sentiment of the topic-starter. I have many times been in the "Holy of Holies" spiritually & literally on my face in the presence of God in a worship service, and felt like someone grabbed my ankles and pulled me right out of there.

There is a time to linger. But it makes the clock-watchers nervous. It's pretty rare to find a pastor/worship leader who will allow that to happen for very long. And I've always wondered why they don't think to let ministry flow out of that sacred time (prophecy, intercession)....rather than starting announcements or whatever.

Upvote 0