Midwest
✟16,887.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As a Christian, are we to listen to worldly music, especially the music we grew up listening to? I know the Bible isn’t specific on this. I have a hard time with this one now & in the past. I have listened to music but recently I feel like I shouldn’t. I keep adding my playlist back on Spotify and then I delete them and then I just keep repeating the whole cycle over. I keep going back-and-forth. I obviously don’t listen to anything that is making me feel bad. I feel like I can’t help that I like the music I grew up listening to as well as some modern music out today but I feel like I shouldn’t be liking it? I feel like it’s a trap.

As for Christian music the only time in the past that I find Christian music to be good is when I’m in a Christian church. I’ve been to many so I’ve heard a lot of Christian praise music but to listen to it outside of church I just can’t get into it. I guess that chalks it up to being in the moment.

Suggestions? Thanks!

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟75,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As a Christian, are we to listen to worldly music, especially the music we grew up listening to? I know the Bible isn’t specific on this. I have a hard time with this one now & in the past. I have listened to music but recently I feel like I shouldn’t. I keep adding my playlist back on Spotify and then I delete them and then I just keep repeating the whole cycle over. I keep going back-and-forth. I obviously don’t listen to anything that is making me feel bad. I feel like I can’t help that I like the music I grew up listening to as well as some modern music out today but I feel like I shouldn’t be liking it? I feel like it’s a trap.

As for Christian music the only time in the past that I find Christian music to be good is when I’m in a Christian church. I’ve been to many so I’ve heard a lot of Christian praise music but to listen to it outside of church I just can’t get into it. I guess that chalks it up to being in the moment.

Suggestions? Thanks!
Well, I listen to regular music, as well as songs by Lauren Daigle and some old-school Christian music sometimes. However, avoiding music with bad lyrics or dark symbolism is a good start, such as staying away from most mainstream pop. Below is an example of some music that I enjoy (ranging from classic rock to indie pop to electronic).

For movies, personally, I avoid those with intimate scenes and excessive blood. A Marvel/DC movie is okay, same with a history or science documentary, classic movies (1930s-1990s) or a bleeding-edge 2020s sci-fi/action flick.

Television is basically the same, and I enjoy shows such as Star Trek, 24, most period pieces, some clean comedy (Jim Gaffigan), and a few animes such as Cowboy Bebop, Hunter × Hunter and most stuff by Studio Ghibli. I avoid anime or TV shows with creepy characters, and crudeness.
Most shows that I enjoy are PG to TV-14, same with movies, though I check if an R rated show is only R because of language. If it is too violent or has any sign of overt sensuality as stated by online reviews, I avoid the movie or show.

So, use your best judgement. God will not punish you for listening to songs or watching movies that are secular, and remember our Creator has a sense of humor. :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230910-180410.png
    Screenshot_20230910-180410.png
    185.1 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_20230910-180838.png
    Screenshot_20230910-180838.png
    184.3 KB · Views: 14
  • Hunter X Hunter Poster (2011).jpg
    Hunter X Hunter Poster (2011).jpg
    629.2 KB · Views: 24
Upvote 0

Lærke

Dec 20, 2021
Midwest
✟16,887.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, I listen to regular music, as well as songs by Lauren Daigle and some old-school Christian music sometimes. However, avoiding music with bad lyrics or dark symbolism is a good start, such as staying away from most mainstream pop. Below is an example of some music that I enjoy (ranging from classic rock to indie pop to electronic).

For movies, personally, I avoid those with intimate scenes and excessive blood. A Marvel/DC movie is okay, same with a history or science documentary, classic movies (1930s-1990s) or a bleeding-edge 2020s sci-fi/action flick.

Television is basically the same, and I enjoy shows such as Star Trek, 24, most period pieces, some clean comedy (Jim Gaffigan), and a few animes such as Cowboy Bebop, Hunter × Hunter and most stuff by Studio Ghibli. I avoid anime or TV shows with creepy characters, and crudeness.
Most shows that I enjoy are PG to TV-14, same with movies, though I check if an R rated show is only R because of language. If it is too violent or has any sign of overt sensuality as stated by online reviews, I avoid the movie or show.

So, use your best judgement. God will not punish you for listening to songs or watching movies that are secular, and remember our Creator has a sense of humor. :)
Thank you I appreciate your response to me. I love my 80s music since I was born in the 70s-I love love my 80s music (yes, metal/punk/rock/new wave/house) and many of the 60s through 70s music but I feel like I shouldn’t be listening to that stuff anymore. I’ve deleted it off my playlist again on Spotify for like the millionth time and hopefully I don’t go back and recover those playlists AGAIN.

I love a lot of the 90s grunge music thru today’s music EXCEPT that I don’t listen to any music that is basically satanic like many artists are nowadays. I don’t listen to a lot of the music that is dark as you said. I love dance/EDM/trance music & I love world music. And again, I feel like I shouldn’t be listening to that stuff either. I grew up in a home of music lovers and music was encouraged in my family. My singing was encouraged in my family as well. It has been a HUGE part of my life.

As for television/movies, I’ll stay away from the same themes. I don’t like anything overly sexual or any of those dark themes. I hate horror as I don’t watch that stuff-I never did. If there happens to be some suggestive matters in a movie or TV show that I was not prepared for but let’s face it usually you can figure out that it’s coming up. I will just fast forward through it because I don’t wanna see that. I just don’t care I wanna see the plot lol.

I feel like given the whole vibe of society right now, and what’s really going on in the world I just can’t support any of that anymore even though I still wanna listen to it I have to resist it. Resist Resist Resist!! I really think that in the past, I could have discerned better and said to myself OK, I’m not listening to anything that is overtly satanic and be OK with that. However, nowadays especially where music is involved, I feel like everything that I listened to in the past and everything that I listen to today would be satanic and I shouldn’t be listening to it. I just feel like God would be very disappointed in me for liking what I like.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟75,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you I appreciate your response to me. I love my 80s music since I was born in the 70s-I love love my 80s music (yes, metal/punk/rock/new wave/house) and many of the 60s through 70s music but I feel like I shouldn’t be listening to that stuff anymore. I’ve deleted it off my playlist again on Spotify for like the millionth time and hopefully I don’t go back and recover those playlists AGAIN.

I love a lot of the 90s grunge music thru today’s music EXCEPT that I don’t listen to any music that is basically satanic like many artists are nowadays. I don’t listen to a lot of the music that is dark as you said. I love dance/EDM/trance music & I love world music. And again, I feel like I shouldn’t be listening to that stuff either. I grew up in a home of music lovers and music was encouraged in my family. My singing was encouraged in my family as well. It has been a HUGE part of my life.

As for television/movies, I’ll stay away from the same themes. I don’t like anything overly sexual or any of those dark themes. I hate horror as I don’t watch that stuff-I never did. If there happens to be some suggestive matters in a movie or TV show that I was not prepared for but let’s face it usually you can figure out that it’s coming up. I will just fast forward through it because I don’t wanna see that. I just don’t care I wanna see the plot lol.

I feel like given the whole vibe of society right now, and what’s really going on in the world I just can’t support any of that anymore even though I still wanna listen to it I have to resist it. Resist Resist Resist!! I really think that in the past, I could have discerned better and said to myself OK, I’m not listening to anything that is overtly satanic and be OK with that. However, nowadays especially where music is involved, I feel like everything that I listened to in the past and everything that I listen to today would be satanic and I shouldn’t be listening to it. I just feel like God would be very disappointed in me for liking what I like.
Well, the best thing is to avoid Sam Smith and Little Nas X, and to do that is to avoid the Top 40 pop radio stations. They both blatantly show demon-esque performances/music videos for their songs. If you want good music today, it is best to go onto YT and search up independent music, African, Caribbean or Asian World music or jazz/classical music. A lot of indie music has deeper lyrics than pop stuff. Not every song from 2023 is satanic, but just avoid the pop stations.

Metal was never my thing, and only a few good grunge songs I listen to, which most of them are covers of 1970s songs. For electronic music, trance can be a bit unhealthy as it can put one into a trance, but house music has a lot more variation, and can have lyrics. DnB (fast breakbeats) can also put people into a funk as well. So, I now stick to future house, progressive house and future bass.

Yeah, I avoid horror stuff, except maybe The Birds (1963), but that stuff is tame in comparison to the horror movies made in the 1980s and beyond. And, I do turn away from violent scenes, or end a movie if it is too much.

Upvote 0

Lærke

Dec 20, 2021
Midwest
✟16,887.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, the best thing is to avoid Sam Smith and Little Nas X, and to do that is to avoid the Top 40 pop radio stations. They both blatantly show demon-esque performances/music videos for their songs. If you want good music today, it is best to go onto YT and search up independent music, African, Caribbean or Asian World music or jazz/classical music. A lot of indie music has deeper lyrics than pop stuff. Not every song from 2023 is satanic, but just avoid the pop stations.

Metal was never my thing, and only a few good grunge songs I listen to, which most of them are covers of 1970s songs. For electronic music, trance can be a bit unhealthy as it can put one into a trance, but house music has a lot more variation, and can have lyrics. DnB (fast breakbeats) can also put people into a funk as well. So, I now stick to future house, progressive house and future bass.

Yeah, I avoid horror stuff, except maybe The Birds (1963), but that stuff is tame in comparison to the horror movies made in the 1980s and beyond. And, I do turn away from violent scenes, or end a movie if it is too much.
Yes Sam Smith, Dua Lipa, Taylor Swift as well as many others are just blatantly satanic I never cared for them anyways, but you’re right. I really do think it would be easier for me to just resist recovering these playlists, and to just stay away from all of it no matter how I feel at the moment, because they are just feelings and feelings should not be always acted on.

• Agree
Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟75,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes Sam Smith, Dua Lipa, Taylor Swift as well as many others are just blatantly satanic I never cared for them anyways, but you’re right. I really do think it would be easier for me to just resist recovering these playlists, and to just stay away from all of it no matter how I feel at the moment, because they are just feelings and feelings should not be always acted on.
I agree. It is best that you delete your mainstream pop playlists. T-swift isn't that good anyways. ;) In fact, I don't have Spotify, and just use MP3s or YT.

Reactions: Lærke
Upvote 0

Lærke

Dec 20, 2021
Midwest
✟16,887.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I agree. It is best that you delete your mainstream pop playlists. T-swift isn't that good anyways. ;) In fact, I don't have Spotify, and just use MP3s or YT.
With all of my playlists combined my songs total over 8000 lol and that was all genres but it’s all gone now and I’m not recovering it lol

• Wow
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟75,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
With all of my playlists combined my songs total over 8000 lol and that was all genres but it’s all gone now and I’m not recovering it lol
Wow, that is a lot of songs. My MP3 playlist is 600 or so songs in one place, and probably a few hundred more on a flash drive. Am glad you made the choice to remove the 8000+ songs.

Upvote 0

Lærke

Dec 20, 2021
Midwest
✟16,887.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Wow, that is a lot of songs. My MP3 playlist is 600 or so songs in one place, and probably a few hundred more on a flash drive. Am glad you made the choice to remove the 8000+ songs.
It was all just collected on many playlists on the app. I never download anything there’s no need to. as I said I have a very eclectic style and taste in music but now I’m just not going to listen to any music. I think that’s best.

Upvote 0

lanceleo

Apr 18, 2018
✟45,605.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The music we listen to often carries the message of the world, and the world uses the medium of music to squeeze us into its mold. And a Christian cannot help being gradually influenced if he continually listens to the world's music.

Reactions: Joseph G
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lærke

Dec 20, 2021
Midwest
✟16,887.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The music we listen to often carries the message of the world, and the world uses the medium of music to squeeze us into its mold. And a Christian cannot help being gradually influenced if he continually listens to the world's music.
I agree and this is why I’m cutting out all music now I don’t think there’s anything good coming out of any of it. I just think it would be best for me all around to just get rid of it all. I have also been going through my personal belongings and getting a rid of anything that I feel is tainted by worldly influences, even things that you have on devices could be deleted. I’ve even gone as far to do this too. A huge purge. I don’t think I need much to be happy and even if I don’t feel too happy at the moment about doing this sometimes it’s just something I’m gonna have to do and I have to live with it because it’s better for me. It doesn’t really matter what I want or what I think. I don’t even have social media I never have I don’t like it.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟75,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It was all just collected on many playlists on the app. I never download anything there’s no need to. as I said I have a very eclectic style and taste in music but now I’m just not going to listen to any music. I think that’s best.
I understand. Maybe a break from music to collect your thoughts, but then try out some Christian bands who make secular songs. Lauren Daigle did a beautiful cover of Crowded House - Don't Dream It's Over. :)

Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟651,933.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced

Suggestions? Thanks!

Just as every face is different so too every mind.

Your fellow may not mind any music and another may not mind a certain type of music,
then there are those who do not mind no music.

Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟651,933.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
Just as every face is different so too every mind.

Your fellow may not mind any music and another may not mind a certain type of music,
then there are those who do not mind no music.

A type of music which can be dangerous, destructive and unfortunately seductive,

I would rate as number 1, would be "Horst Wessel"

Nazi anthem.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,249.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
OTOH, even a non-believer, like myself, can like some religious music. Especially works in the classical genre.

Katherine Jenkins, the Welsh mezzo-soprano does a great version of Mozart's Laudate Dominum (Psalm 117, Praise the Lord):

Franz Schubert's Ave Maria, originally titled Ellen's Song #2, was written for a play, based on Sir Walter Scott's Lady of the Lake. The melody became so popular, it was adopted by the RCC as music for the Ave Maria. Renee Fleming's cover is excellent:

La Vergine degli Angeli (our lady of the angels) is from Giuseppe Verdi's opera La Forza del Destino (The Force of Destiny.) Leonora, the female lead, prays for protection in church. With a full men's chorus in the background. Mirusia Louwerse is the soprano. Verdi, in real life, was very skeptical of religion, if not an outright atheist. But he could compose some heavenly music.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟151,312.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship

Same standards of self respect and good taste are
applicable to anyone.

Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟215,770.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Depends on the worldly music. It can be unhealthy to listen to it all the time. Some of it is okay to listen to in moderation, but a lot of the lyrics focus on what your flesh wants, or what they think your flesh wants. Sex, romantic love, nihilism, drugs. I find most worldly music is about this kind of stuff, & so find it mostly unhelpful, discouraging, & depressing. Even the ones that are meant to put you in a good mood. But it really depends on the individual song. Not every song has to be about Jesus for it to be good (tho he is the author of the goodness). Post some here.

I’m guessing your flesh is fighting against you listening to Christian music. There’s definitely times when I just don’t feel like it, but often I find turning it on ends up being more benefical than what I was expecting. There’s a wide range of it. Hymns, more contemporary, uplifting, lyrics that are Christian but aren't designed to be churchy or worshipy. It doesn’t mean you give up ‘worldly’ music completely, just that you recognize there’s definitely music that Christians shouldn’t be listening to, especially all the time.

If you are struggling w/ listening to any kind of Christian music, & are finding problems w/ worldly music, is there other things you can find to listen to, I wonder......?

Upvote 0