Los Angeles Area
✟833,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
The curves in your figure indicates that the population will be stabilized at a lower level, and could increase again.

Could you describe in detail what you think the curves in my figure are showing?

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟833,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Are you saying I can not read curves? If you do not, you should modify your question.

Yes, I must confess I am doubtful whether you understood the graph.

I introduced it by saying "there are strong links between female education and lower fertility rates."

The graph does indeed display some data about fertility rates and education level.

I am puzzled how you got from this graph to your conclusion: "The curves in your figure indicates that the population will be stabilized at a lower level, and could increase again."

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟242,378.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private

I introduced it by saying "there are strong links between female education and lower fertility rates."

The graph does indeed display some data about fertility rates and education level.

I am puzzled how you got from this graph to your conclusion: "The curves in your figure indicates that the population will be stabilized at a lower level, and could increase again."
As I think you are aware, but have rightly chosen not say, the graphs do not exclude the possibility of stability, nor of a subsequent increase, but nothing in them could lead one to the clear assertion made by juvenissun that these events would occur. There isn't even anything in them to suggest this is likely. One might, arguably, arrive at those conclusions by interpreting data beyond the graphs, but juvenissun has not done this. (It's nice that some things in life are constant.)

Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

OK. my mistake. Instead of saying "indicates", I should say "extended implication".
However, the figure you gave is more realistic and fits better on what I think. Notice the fertility percentage in your figure is dramatically different from the one posted in the OP. I believe a very significant correction on that difference is given by the very low fertility rate in China.

Further, level of education is certainly an issue in your examples, however, it is probably not an issue as significant in developed countries. I think it is something else which comes with a higher level of education. I am not able to substantially pinpoint what that is yet. I personally see many well-doing young couples that they have no intention to have more than one child. I would say it is some social factors that changed the intrinsic nature of human being. I would qualify it as an evil factor.

A healthy population is the foundation of a strong nation. This is true regardless the level of education and the advance of technology. Countries with decreasing population will discover that sooner or later, and the correction of low fertility rate is automatic and inevitable.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

As a highly educated person, you should not say that. You are making up unnecessary interruption in an efficient communication. You do understand the reason of my mistake (you can deny that again), and it would be much better to continue your argument with reasons one step deeper than doing that correction in a very-low-level, shameful way.

Upvote 0

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'd guess the proliferation of birth control is a big contributing factor.
As well as a rising standard of living. Decreased extreme poverty leads to families having less children for a variety of reasons.

Upvote 0