WORDS of Encouragement ( no "topics" ) ;)

smooze

Contributor
Mar 4, 2005
Visit site
✟95,567.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Marital Status
Private
I wanted to make a random thread so people who are feeling down can come and find rest for their souls.....post'em / read'em/ ask for encouragement or just to find rapport with a friend or to forgive someone (hard to do) but yes let the spiritual healing begin.

Reactions: sugarlady135

smooze

Contributor
Mar 4, 2005
Visit site
✟95,567.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Marital Status
Private
For darkness shall cover the earth and thick darkness the peoples; but the Lord will arise upon you, and his glory will appear over you. (Isaiah 60:2 NRSV)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Isaiah's main task was to remind God's people of who they were. In verse two, Isaiah says, "For darkness shall cover the earth and thick darkness the peoples; but the Lord will arise upon you, and his glory will appear over you." Isaiah was trying to remind the people that they were God's people, even through they were an exiled people. They were scattered in many parts of the world, but they were still God's people.
Just like the Israelite people, we too are a chosen people, because God sent Jesus Christ into the world to be our savior. We are God's people. Christ died for us.

I think this poem says it well:

I may be young; I may be old,
But I am somebody, For I am God's Child.
I may be educated; I may be unlettered,
I may be black; I may be white,
I may be rich; I may be poor,
I may be fat; I may be thin,
I may be married; I may be divorced or single,
I may be successful; I may be a failure,
I may be a sinner; I may be a saint,
But I am somebody, For Jesus is my Savior.
I am God's Child.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Prayer: Loving God, help me to more fully understand my purpose of being your child. Amen.

Upvote 0

smooze

Contributor
Mar 4, 2005
Visit site
✟95,567.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Marital Status
Private
...for hurting souls.... some words of encouragement :hug:

I ASKED FOR....

I asked for strength and God gave me difficulties to make me strong.

I asked for wisdom and God gave me problems to solve.

I asked for prosperity and God gave me brawn and brain to work.

I asked for courage and God gave me dangers to overcome.

I asked for patience God placed me in situations where I was forced to wait.

I asked for love and God gave me troubled people to help.

I asked for favors and God gave me opportunities.

I received nothing I wanted.

I received everything I needed.

MY PRAYERS HAVE BEEN ANSWERED.

~~Author Unknown~~

Upvote 0

smooze

Contributor
Mar 4, 2005
Visit site
✟95,567.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Marital Status
Private
crossgold.gif

Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. Those who believe in me, even though they die, will live, and everyone who lives and believes in me will never die. (John 11:25-26 NRSV)
We need to experience the presence of the living God in our lives today! Jesus says, "And the fact that the dead are raised Moses himself showed, in the story about the bush, where he speaks of the Lord as the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob." These were people who had the spirit of God working in their lives and found true life in the presence of God. Moses also made it clear that God is the God of the living, weather in this life or the one to come.
I remember a story of a little girl who came running downstairs one morning, lighthearted as only a child can be. She rushed into the kitchen and noticed that her mother wore a grim expression.
"Mommy," she said, "aren't you happy?"
"Why certainly I'm happy," her mother replied.
"Well," said the little girl, "you certainly haven't told your face yet."

It is not always easy, but our lives should reflect the presence of God living in us today. Jesus said in John 3:21, "But those who do what is true come to the light, so that it may be clearly seen that their deeds have been done in God." Not only is there an indescribable and beautiful life beyond this world, but even more important, heaven is present here and available to each of us. For wherever truth is, God is there, and heaven is brought closer to each one of us.

Prayer: God of the living, please bring your heavenly kingdom closer to me today, as I live for you. Amen.

Upvote 0

smooze

Contributor
Mar 4, 2005
Visit site
✟95,567.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Marital Status
Private
HANDY REFERENCE LIST OF EMERGENCY PHONE NUMBERS

When in sorrow............................call John 14
When men fail you........................call Psalm 27
When you have sinned.....................call Psalm 51
When you worry....................call Matthew 6:19-34
When you are in danger...................call Psalm 91
When God seems far away.................call Psalm 139
When your faith needs stirring.........call Hebrews 11
When you are lonely and fearful..........call Psalm 23
When you grow bitter and critical.call I Corinthians 13
When you feel down and out....... ...call Romans 8:31
When you want peace and rest.....call Matthew 11:25-30
When the world seems bigger than God.....call Psalm 90
When you want Christian assurance...call Romans 8:1-30
When you leave home for labor or travel..call Psalm 121
When your prayers grow narrow or selfish.call Psalm 67
When you want courage for a task.........call Joshua 1
When you think of investments and returns..call Mark 10
If you are depressed........... .........call Psalm 27
If your pocketbook is empty...............call Psalm 37
If you are losing confidence in people....call I Corinthians 13
If people seem unkind........ ...........call John 15
If discouraged about your work..........call Psalm 126
If self pride/greatness takes hold.......call Psalm 19
If you want to be fruitful..............call John 15
For understanding of Christianity...call II Corinthians 5:15-19
For a great invention/opportunity.......call Isaiah 55
For how to get along with fellow men.....call Romans 12
For Paul's secret to happiness..call Colossians 3:12-17

ALTERNATE NUMBERS:
For dealing with fear.................call Psalm 34:7
For security..........................call Psalm 121:3
For assurance...........................call Mark8:35
For reassurance.....................call Psalm 145:18

PLEASE NOTE: Emergency numbers may be dialed direct. No operator assistance is necessary. All lines to Heaven are open 24 hours a day! Feed your FAITH, and DOUBT will starve to death!

Upvote 0

smooze

Contributor
Mar 4, 2005
Visit site
✟95,567.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Marital Status
Private
Heavenly Father, Help us remember that the jerk who cut us off in traffic last night is a single mother who worked nine hours that day and is rushing home to cook dinner, help with homework, do the laundry and spend a few precious moments with her children.

Help us to remember that the pierced, tattooed, disinterested young man who can't make change correctly is a worried 19-year-old college student, balancing his apprehension over final exams with his fear of not getting his student loans for next semester.

Remind us, Lord, that the scary looking bum, begging for money in the same spot every day (who really ought to get a job!) is a slave to addictions that we can only imagine in our worst nightmares.

Help us to remember that the old couple walking annoyingly slow through the store aisles and blocking our shopping progress are savoring this moment, knowing that, based on the biopsy report she got back last week, this will be the last year that they go shopping together.

Heavenly Father, remind us each day that, of all the gifts you give us, the greatest gift is love. It is not enough to share that love with those we hold dear. Open our hearts not to just those who are close to us, but to all humanity. Let us be slow to judge and quick to forgive. Let us show patience, empathy and love.

Upvote 0

smooze

Contributor
Mar 4, 2005
Visit site
✟95,567.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Marital Status
Private
fish3.gif

Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will not pass away. "But about that day or hour no one knows, neither the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father. Beware, keep alert; for you do not know when the time will come. (Mark 13:31-33 NRSV)
Douglas Mayor, a fifteen year old boy who lived in Missouri, had been feeling bad for several days. His mother, Donna, took him to the emergency room where blood tests revealed one of the most agonizing things a parent can learn about a child. Douglas was diagnosed as having leukemia.
During the next forty-eight hours, Douglas endured blood transfusions, spinal and bone marrow tests and chemotherapy. For five days his mother stayed in his hospital room. Douglas became depressed.

During the first day in the hospital, Douglas said to his mother, "I thought you get flowers when you're in the hospital." One of his aunts called Brix Florist in St. Louis. His aunt wanted the sales clerk to be aware of the flower arrangement's significance. "I want the planter to be especially attractive. It's for my teenage nephew who has leukemia," she told the clerk. "Oh," said the salesclerk. "Let's add some fresh-cut flowers to brighten it up."

When the floral arrangement arrived Douglas opened the envelope and read the card from his aunt. Then he saw another card. The second card read: "Douglas--I took your order. I work at Brix Florist. I had leukemia when I was seven years old. I'm 22 years old now. Good luck. My heart goes out to you. Sincerely, Laura Bradley." Douglas' face lit up.

Often it is the little extra things that we do that make a big difference. Loving things, encouraging things. Whether the world comes to an end today or billions of years from now, we want to be found not sitting on a roof-top looking crazily into the sky, but helping God's people.

Prayer: Lord Jesus, it is so easy to get busy and forget about the important work you called me to do. May I use the blessing of you in my life to be a blessing to others. Amen.

Upvote 0

smooze

Contributor
Mar 4, 2005
Visit site
✟95,567.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Marital Status
Private
6 reasons not to mess with children
(1) A little girl was talking to her teacher about whales. The teacher said it was physically impossible for a whale to swallow a human because even though it was a very large mammal, its throat was very small. The little girl stated that Jonah was swallowed by a whale. Irritated, the teacher reiterated that a whale could not swallow a human; it was physically impossible. The little girl said, "When I get to heaven, I will ask Jonah." The teacher asked, "What if Jonah went to hell?" The little girl replied, "Then you ask him."
(2) A Kindergarten teacher was observing her classroom of children while they were drawing. She would occasionally walk around to see each child's work. As she got to one little girl who was working diligently, she asked what the drawing was. The girl replied, "I'm drawing God." The teacher paused and said, "But no one knows what God looks like." Without missing a beat, or looking up from her drawing, the girl replied, "They will in a minute."
(3) A Sunday school teacher was discussing the Ten Commandments with her five and six year olds. After explaining the commandment to "honor" thy Father and thy Mother, she asked, "Is there a commandment that teaches us how to treat our brothers and sisters?" Without missing a beat one little boy, the oldest of a family, answered, "Thou shall not kill."
(4) The children had all been photographed, and the teacher was trying to persuade them each to buy a copy of the group picture. "Just think how nice it will be to look at it when you are all grown up and say, 'There's Jennifer, she's a lawyer,' or 'That's Michael, He's a doctor'." A small voice at the back of the room rang out, "And there's the teacher, she's dead."
(5) A teacher was giving a lesson on the circulation of the blood. Trying to make the matter clearer, she said, "Now, class, if I stood on my head, the blood, as you know, would run into it, and I would turn red in the face." "Yes," the class said. "Then why is it that while I am standing upright in the ordinary position, the blood doesn't run into my feet?" A little fellow shouted, "Cause your feet ain't empty."
(6) The children were lined up in the cafeteria of a Catholic elementary school for lunch. At the head of the table was a large pile of apples. The nun made a note, and posted on the apple tray: "Take only ONE. God is watching." Moving further along the lunch line, at the other end of the table was a large pile of chocolate chip cookies. A child had written a note, "Take all you want. God is watching the apples.

Upvote 0

smooze

Contributor
Mar 4, 2005
Visit site
✟95,567.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Marital Status
Private
fish.gif

In the same way, my friends, you have died to the law through the body of Christ, so that you may belong to another, to him who has been raised from the dead in order that we may bear fruit for God. (Romans 7:4 NRSV)
Some of us may remember the name Leon Spinks. In the cruel world of professional boxing, Spinks was once the world heavyweight champion. Sometime back, Spinks was quoted as saying this: "People were always asking, after I won the title, 'Who is Leon Spinks?'" Then he added, "It's a question I've been asking all my life. I didn't know who I was but I knew I wanted to be somebody...I was tired of being nobody."
I wonder if anybody had ever told Leon Spinks that even before he was formed in his mother's womb, the eternal God knew who he was? That is the good news for the day. We matter. We are worth something. Let no one say that we are nobodies. This beautiful world was created in our behalf. The infinite stars would not shine down from the skies if we were not here to behold them. Of even more staggering import is a cross that stands on a hill named Calvary. For it was there that the Son of the living God gave His life in our behalf.

In Sweden there is a saying that "in every man there is a king, and in every woman, a queen. If you speak to them as 'Your Majesty,' their majesty will come forth." May we all live like we are children of God!

Prayer: Dear God, sometimes I don't do a very good job of loving myself. Remind me each day that I am your child! May I also treat everyone I meet as your child. Amen.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

smooze

Contributor
Mar 4, 2005
Visit site
✟95,567.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Marital Status
Private
candle.gif

The nations shall see your vindication, and all the kings your glory; and you shall be called by a new name that the mouth of the LORD will give. You shall be a crown of beauty in the hand of the LORD, and a royal diadem in the hand of your God. (Isaiah 62-2-3 NRSV)
There are two themes that dominate the writings of all the great prophets. They are Judgement and Hope. As far as the prophets were concerned, Israel's greatness as a nation did not depend on its prosperity or its military might. They knew that a nation's character was more important than its cash reserves. They did not buy the prosperity Gospel. Israel's wealthy elite might "have it all," but they dare not call it the blessing of God if their hearts and their lives were corrupt. Thus the prophets pronounced judgement on Israel's sinfulness. Without righteousness and justice there will be a day of reckoning, they thundered. Things will not continue like this forever.
Their pronouncements of judgement, however, must be balanced by their messages of hope. They were not all gloom and doom. When Israel was hurting, when its people were still trying to sing the Lord's song in a strange land, when there was famine and pestilence and war throughout the country, the prophets again spoke up. Things will not be like this forever, they said. Hang in there. God will not forsake His own.

Judgement and hope, God is always with us. It is our job to welcome God into our lives, no matter what situation we face!

Prayer: Loving God, there is times of great highs and lows when I don't even call for you. Help me to change that by inviting you to always be with me. Amen.

Upvote 0

smooze

Contributor
Mar 4, 2005
Visit site
✟95,567.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Marital Status
Private
candle.gif

I know your works; you are neither cold nor hot. I wish that you were either cold or hot. So, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I am about to spit you out of my mouth. (Revelation 3:15-16 NRSV)
Rev. Maxie Dunnam was driving on Poplar Avenue, in Memphis, Tennessee, when he noticed a bumper sticker on the car in front of him. He inched closer and saw that the bumper sticker read in big letters, "I am a Generic Christian." That got his attention. He tried to get closer. Some smaller letters were written beneath the larger ones. He got dangerously close to the back of the car to read the words, "Ask me what I mean." Mr. Dunnam was intrigued even more. What was the person with this bumper sticker trying to say?
Dunnam's interest was whetted further by the fact that the bumper sticker was on a Mercedes. He wondered how a driver of a Mercedes could be considered generic of anything. A couple of blocks later the driver pulled into a car wash. Dunnam had no intention of having his car washed that day. Nevertheless he also turned in to the car wash hoping to meet and speak with the driver with the intriguing bumper sticker.

The man told him that he was a member of a local congregation. He was so tired of the denominational emphasis in so many churches that he wanted to proclaim a different kind of message. He wanted the world to know that he was a Christian not tied to any label--therefore a generic Christian. The man might have had a point, but on further reflection Dr. Dunnam says, "I wonder if we don't have too many generic Christians and not enough disciples."

Generic means inclusive or general or something that has no trademark. Are we that kind of a Christian?

Prayer: Loving God, I pray today that you will help me not to be a generic Christian, but a true disciple of Jesus Christ. Amen.

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟336,589.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Heavenly Father, Help us remember that the jerk who cut us off in traffic last night is a single mother who worked nine hours that day and is rushing home to cook dinner, help with homework, do the laundry and spend a few precious moments with her children.

Help us to remember that the pierced, tattooed, disinterested young man who can't make change correctly is a worried 19-year-old college student, balancing his apprehension over final exams with his fear of not getting his student loans for next semester.

Remind us, Lord, that the scary looking bum, begging for money in the same spot every day (who really ought to get a job!) is a slave to addictions that we can only imagine in our worst nightmares.

Help us to remember that the old couple walking annoyingly slow through the store aisles and blocking our shopping progress are savoring this moment, knowing that, based on the biopsy report she got back last week, this will be the last year that they go shopping together.

Heavenly Father, remind us each day that, of all the gifts you give us, the greatest gift is love. It is not enough to share that love with those we hold dear. Open our hearts not to just those who are close to us, but to all humanity. Let us be slow to judge and quick to forgive. Let us show patience, empathy and love.
:amen::amen:

Upvote 0

smooze

Contributor
Mar 4, 2005
Visit site
✟95,567.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Marital Status
Private
cross1.gif

"But see, the one who betrays me is with me, and his hand is on the table. For the Son of Man is going as it has been determined, but woe to that one by whom he is betrayed!" (Luke 22:21-22 NRSV)
It is interesting to note that Jesus' betrayer was one of the honored guests at the Last Supper.
Betrayal by a friend always hurts beyond words. When I was a Junior in college, I had saved enough money the first semester to get an apartment off campus. I had a friend who was going to share an apartment with me. He was a young person that was going into the ministry like I was working to do. After we moved in, it took only a few short weeks to discover that he had betrayed me. He wrote me hot checks. He hide the phone bills from me, which were in my name. All the money I had saved up was just about gone in a month's time. I had to move out and rent a small room out of a lady's home for the rest of the semester. It hurts to be betrayed by someone we trust and love.

A Prime Minister of Australia was once the victim of a vicious verbal attack in Parliament by a member of his own party. When the traitor had finished speaking, the Prime Minister rose to his feet and cupped his hand to his ear, as if listening for something. Knowing the Prime Minister to be rather deaf, one of his colleagues asked what he was waiting for. "I'm waiting for the [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] to crow."

Doubtless the Prime Minister had confused Judas' betrayal with Simon Peter's denial, still the point is the same. It hurts to be betrayed by a friend. Many of you know that feeling. Fortunately, Jesus will never betray us!

Prayer: Dear Jesus, create in me a holy heart full of your love, so that I may not betray you and my friends. Amen.

Upvote 0

smooze

Contributor
Mar 4, 2005
Visit site
✟95,567.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Marital Status
Private
cross2.gif

For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son. That who so ever believes in him shall have not die but have everlasting life. (John 3:16 NRSV)
Some of us seem to be more comfortable with an impersonal God. The idea of God's son having nail prints in his hands and feet because of God's great love for us is an idea many of us are not ready for.
I read a true and beautiful story in college about the courtship of Moses Mendelssohn, the grandfather of a great German composer. Moses was a small man with a mis-shaped, humped back. One day he visited a merchant in Hamburg who had a lovely daughter. Though Moses admired her greatly, she avoided him, seemingly afraid of his grotesque hump.

On the last day of his visit he went to tell her good-bye. Her face seemed to beam with beauty but when he entered, she cast her eyes to the floor. Moses' heart ached for her. After some small talk, he slowly drew to the subject that filled his mind. "Do you believe that marriages are made in Heaven?" he asked.

"Yes," replied the young woman. "And do you?"

"Of course," Moses answered. "I believe that at the birth of each child, the Lord says, 'That boy shall marry that girl.' But in my case, the Lord also added, 'But, his wife will have a terrible hump.'"

"At that moment I called, 'Oh Lord, that would be a tragedy for her. Please give me the humped back and let her be beautiful.'" The story ends when the young woman was so moved by his words that she reached for Moses' hand and later became his loving and faithful wife.

In trying to deal with the meaning of the cross on which Christ died, the early church came to understand that those nail prints in Jesus' the hands and feet have been ours. But God so loved the world that he sent his own Son to bear the burden brought about by our sin.

Prayer: Dear Jesus, thank you for bearing my burden of sin. Thank you God for personally loving me enough to send Jesus. May I invite you to live close to me each day. Amen.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

smooze

Contributor
Mar 4, 2005
Visit site
✟95,567.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Marital Status
Private
davidstar.gif

When they found him, they said to him, "Everyone is searching for you." He answered, "Let us go on to the neighboring towns, so that I may proclaim the message there also; for that is what I came out to do." (Mark 1:37-38 NRSV)
I think it is important for us to take time once in a while to determine what is really important to us. That is certainly what Jesus did in our story today.
That next morning when Simon and the other disciples awoke, they discovered that Jesus was nowhere to be found. Perhaps they panicked a bit. They actively searched until they chased him down. They interrupted his prayer time. "Everyone is searching for you," Simon tells him. To this Jesus answers, "Let us go on to the neighboring towns, so that I may proclaim the message there also; for that is what I came out to do." Jesus would not be side-tracked by the desires of the crowds. He knew where he was headed. Nothing else mattered.

It would have been easy for Jesus to stay in one place teaching and healing people, but that was not his purpose. Jesus was called to proclaim the message of God's love to many different people in many difference places.

What priorities do we need to change? Do we need to change our priorities in our families, in our work place, in the way we use our time and money.

A few years ago, the ministers of my district had a two day retreat. Now to get a group of very busy ministers together for a couple of days was no small miracle. Those of us that were there made it a priority to be there. We knew it was important to take time away for rest, conversation, and spiritual renewal. Because of this priority, it has reminded me of what is important, and it brought more happiness to my life. When we have our priorities in order we will have a greater sense of joy in God's love.

Prayer: Dear God, help me to keep my priorities in line with yours. Amen.

Upvote 0

smooze

Contributor
Mar 4, 2005
Visit site
✟95,567.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Marital Status
Private
fish.gif

Thus it is written, that the Messiah is to suffer and to rise from the dead on the third day, and that repentance and forgiveness of sins is to be proclaimed in his name to all nations. (Luke 24:46-47 NRSV)
Jesus leads the way to life beyond the tomb, but it simply is, at times, too wonderful to believe. To think there is a world beyond this one in which those who die are resurrected to a new life in Christ. Yet such a conviction is at the heart of our faith.
I remember Neil Kennedy, a former church member, telling me about his near death experience. He told me about talking to God and the love he felt. He said that God wasn't finished with him on earth yet, and his ministry was not complete. So God send him back to the little town of Itasca to complete his ministry. Neil believes in the life to come beyond the tomb. We also need to believe, and we need to be prepared. There is an often quoted remark that says, "There are two things that are certain in life death and paying taxes."

All the non-believing world can do with death is ridicule it, deny it, avoid talking about it. But not those, like Neil, who have seen the hands and feet of the risen Savior, and say, "Jesus is alive and because he lives so shall I live!"

Prayer: Dear God, inspire me daily to say, "Jesus is alive and because he lives so shall I live!" Amen.

Upvote 0

smooze

Contributor
Mar 4, 2005
Visit site
✟95,567.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Marital Status
Private
fish3.gif

In the morning, while it was still very dark, he got up and went out to a deserted place, and there he prayed. (Mark 1:35 NRSV)
It seems that we have an unwritten motto in our culture that says, "The busier we are, the happier we are." So we strive to be busy. But I think it is a mistake for us to be too busy for people, quietness, or conversation with God.
Consider Jesus' approach. By night fall word had spread throughout the town that Jesus was there and that he had the power to heal people. By dusk Mark says the whole city was at Simon's house looking for Jesus. They brought their sick, "with various diseases," hoping that he would be able to heal them. The disciples had never seen such a crowd. With all those people Jesus must have been exhausted. It was probably late when they all left. Yet early the next morning, before anyone in the house woke up, Jesus left in search of a lonely place, a place where the crowds would be unable to find him, so he could be alone to pray. Jesus, who had given so much of himself to others, needed some time alone with God. He who had given so much; needed some time to receive. That's also true of us. We need to take time to talk with God, so that we gain energy and strength to face the challenges of our lives.

I remember a story of a man who was talking to a minister. The man said, "Hey, you got it all wrong about this God stuff. God doesn't exist. I ought to know."

"Why is that?" asked the minister.

"Well," the man said, "when I was ice-fishing in the Arctic far from the nearest village, a blizzard blew up with wind and blinding snow. I was a goner. So I got down on my knees and prayed real hard, begging God for help."

"And did God help you?" asked the minister.

"Heck no," said the man. "God didn't lift a finger. Some Eskimo appeared out of nowhere and showed me the way to the village."

What this man didn't seem to understand is that God works through you and me. There will be times when our prayers will not be answered the way we want them to be. But prayer is answered. Sometimes the answer is "no." And another important thing--we should not allow our prayers to become a time when we list all of wants from God.

Prayer is powerful. Prayer is a time to connect ourselves to God, and that which is sacred, and prayer does bring us greater happiness and faith.

Prayer: Lord Jesus, thank you for your example of prayer. Move me daily to spend time talking to our Father. Amen.

Upvote 0

smooze

Contributor
Mar 4, 2005
Visit site
✟95,567.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Marital Status
Private
jesus.gif

Then he said to Thomas, "Put your finger here and see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it in my side. Do not doubt but believe." Thomas answered him, "My Lord and my God!" (John 20:27-28 NRSV)
What does it mean if there really is a God who is that intimately concerned about our lives? What does it mean if this life really is but a prelude to everlasting life?
When I dedicated my life to Jesus Christ, I didn't fully realize what I was doing. But God took my hand and gradually led me to a understanding of what my dedication meant. I always wanted to be a farmer or work in some Ag related business. My consciousness of eternal life, however, led me into a career as a minister. I had many talents in being in an Ag related business, but I don't think the world will miss having one less person in the Ag business. I have given my life to be personally involved in helping people. Yes, there have been many doubts and questions, but my focus on serving others, because of what Christ did for me, keeps me going.

The same thing probably happened in the lives of those first disciples. From frightened and uncertain people marked by doubt and envy, they became apostles of great courage and self-giving.

How about you? What difference has been made in your life by seeing the hands and feet of the risen Christ? Has it effected your goals? Those who have seen the hands and feet of the risen Christ and live their lives in the light of eternity never run out of a purpose for life.

Prayer: Dear Jesus, move me to not doubt, but believe in you. Amen.

Upvote 0

smooze

Contributor
Mar 4, 2005
Visit site
✟95,567.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Marital Status
Private
cross1.gif

But let all who take refuge in you rejoice; let them ever sing for joy. Spread your protection over them, so that those who love your name may exult in you. (Psalm 5:11 NRSV)
There's a delightful cartoon of a mother and daughter who were walking along a street. On the side of the street there was a mud puddle. The cartoon shows the mother wading in the mud puddle and jumping up and down and shouting, "Hey, you know, this really is fun."
Happiness comes when we let go and invite God to be an important part of our daily lives. Oh yes, jumping in the mud puddle can be fun too!

May we all share the joy of God's love through Jesus Christ!

Prayer: Dear Jesus, thank you for the great joy you have brought to my life! Amen.

Upvote 0