New Jersey
✟336,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Is the word of God limited to the Bible alone?

Is divine revelation limited to the Bible alone?

No, of course not. The Bible itself records incidents where God revealed something to a prophet. Those revelations eventually were recorded in Scripture, but the revelations preceded the event of writing.

Reactions: Gregorikos
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married

Jesus is the word of God, and in Christ, all the fullness of God dwells within Him. Word become flesh - not vellum manuscript, Jesus.

So to answer the question, no it is not limited to the bible only.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced

No. However, any true revelation will agree with God's word. Paul prayed for God's people to receive the Spirit of Wisdom and Revelation. Christianity is a relationship with God through Christ. It's not a relationship with a book or a set of rules. Revelation allows us to take the path that God reveals to us. Often, it is something in the Bible that goes from a statement that we read to a reality in out hearts. For example, I used to think that someone aspiring to leadership was a pride issue. Then I read that desiring to be an elder is a good thing. That changed my mind.

The Greek word for revelation referred to an unveiling of a sculpture. The artist would slowly raise a curtain to reveal his creation. It was more dramatic than just wheeling the statue out for people to see.

If you want an example of revelation, get a copy of "The Glorious Church" by Watchman Nee. Or almost anything else he taught. (Nee wrote very few books. Most of the books, and there are many, are compilations of notes taken by people at his conferences.)

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

No and No because the Bible clearly does not record everything that God has ever spoken. For example, in Genesis 26:5, Abraham heard God's voice and kept His charge, His commandments, His statutes, and His laws, yet it does not record the details of everything that God said to Abraham.

Upvote 0

A.ModerateOne

Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2018
Florida
✟33,541.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

I have a bit different take than my brethren who have answered thus far. I do think that in our day, the "word of God" and "divine revelation" are limited to the Bible alone though illuminated by the Holy Spirit to the believer. I think this for the following reasons.

"Beloved, being very eager to write to you of our common salvation, I found it necessary to write appealing to you to contend for the faith which was once for all delivered to the saints." (Jude 1:3 RSV)

I believe all 27 books of our NT were completed before 70AD because I find it incomprehensible any NT book could have been written after the destruction of the Temple and Jerusalem, and not a hint of it written down. I believe revelation ceased when the authenticating miracles ceased, which happened when the day of the Apostles passed. In addition, I see a connection between what was written, the scripture, and what words God spoke through men as in the following:

"First of all you must understand this, that no prophecy of scripture is a matter of one’s own interpretation, because no prophecy ever came by the impulse of man, but men moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from God." (2Pet 1:20-21 RSV)

Jesus 3 times refutes Satan by referring not to his own authority, but to "it is written". Paul instructs us to to go no further than what is written in the Scriptures, 1 Cor. 4:6. Now, I do believe God acts through providence and for those of us who are believers, there may be times that we sense God's movement in some manner so strongly it is as if we have a "word of God" impressed upon us that is not a specific verse, but I am speaking in a more literal manner of seeking God's will, which is the written word of God. I am convinced, that in a day in which so many falsely claim the extraordinary gifts of the Holy Spirit, it is the written word of God that is our safeguard.

Upvote 0