Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Hey Avonia, you might enjoy this thread I started a while back:

http://christianforums.com/t6359274

The thing that saddens me the most is that some Trad women actually buy into Bacchiocchi and Pipim's rhetoric on this issue. They comfort themselves that such sexist dogma is actually fidelity to what God's ideal for women in the church is, when thier gender is actually being offended and violated in the worst way.

I have Pastor Hyveth William's sermons on DVD. I love her preaching! :thumbsup:

picture.aspx

http://christianforums.com/showpost.php?p=40364034&postcount=20

First female vice-president of the GC: Dr. Ella Simmons

logo.gif

Interview with Dr Ella Simmons
Uluru, Northern Territory
Melody Tan

smallSimmons,-Ella.gif

The first female vice-president of the General Conference (GC), Dr Ella Simmons, visited Australia in August. We caught up with her when she was at Uluru attending the Women at the Centre conference, the first national indigenous women’s meeting organised by the Adventist Church in the South.

You have been in the role for just over two years now, how are you finding it?
It has been a comfortable role because I know for certain that the Lord has called me to this position. It has never been on my radar, but I can look back and see how the Lord has prepared me for the role.

I grew up as the only sister to five brothers and I only have sons, so I feel a kinship to my other colleagues. It feels like home. I can appreciate the sisterhood of being among other women, but I am also comfortable amongst my brothers.

When you accepted the role, you had a certain expectation of what it would be like. How has that differed?
I did not have any expectations actually because [the events leading to me getting voted for the role] all happened so quickly. I did not have faith that the church would elect a woman to the position. I thought there would be all kinds of things said, some of which would not be so kind. So I was shocked that there was no negative debate when my name came forth. Instead, there has been a groundswell of support and approval.

I have been received around the world with open arms. I have been getting genuine invites from people and groups to participate and share in their part of the world, to be involved and share my expertise and knowledge. As a member of the Seventh-day Adventist Church, I am really proud of it.

What have you enjoyed the most about your role?
Being able to meet wonderful people. To meet God’s people where they live and serve all over the world. The church has lots of growth to do still but I am proud to be a Seventh-day Adventist. I enjoy ministering to people.

How has your life changed?
The administrative part of my role is not new, but I used to be more directly involved in education. I travel more now and am spending a lot of time overseas. I am also always on duty now, where before I was on call. I feel that I don’t have as much time for myself as before.

People wonder how it works because I am a married woman. But Nord and I see this as our joint ministry. He supports me and is comfortable with sitting in the background while I’m in the limelight.

The only thing that I don’t like is being away from my grandchildren. But I have no regrets. God has called me to do this. It can be taxing and energy draining, but I am enjoying it so much.

How does being a woman enhance your role?
I believe in the complete equality of opportunity and access for man and woman and that a woman can do anything a man can do. But I also recognise and celebrate our differences.

I bring a female perspective within the group of vice-presidents who have never had things presented to them in that way. I cannot speak for all females, but I certainly have the boldness to speak out and give a different perspective.

Are you treated any differently by your colleagues?
No. I am treated as one of the team members who bring a particular perspective. They treat me both as a professional and a human. I have been received as an equal colleague. My opinions are valued and are sought out. I don’t feel that I have to prove myself and can simply go in and concentrate on the work at hand.

If there is any difference, it’s that my brothers, the other vice-presidents, look out for me a little bit. But most of the times they realise that I can hold my own.

My being in this role at this time is not only history-making, is pioneering. I am paving the way for other women. I really don’t feel that this is about me at all. God has someone special who is to come after me to do something that he has planned. So I’m opening doors, making connections and demonstrating women can do these kind of things.

What do you hope to achieve in your role?
Firstly to demonstrate that women are called to be and have the capability to be full partners with men in ministry and service for the world.

In specific areas, I would like to initiate some fundamental change in our education system.

I also want to support the rather new entity of Women’s Ministries to the full achievement of current goals and objectives for the church and women in the world.

Where do you think the church is heading in terms of women in ministry or leadership positions?
People around the world press me when I visit them, asking when will women receive full recognition. I think the church has had it for full recognition of God’s call for service and ministry for the lives of women.

I see a change. I feel a change. I hear a change, not only amongst the administrative entities and its operations, but among the people. I’m sure there’s some resistance out there, but I see our church changing. And I believe that not only through my appointment but that of other women in the GC that the presence of women is stronger at this particular time. It has happened by design because we see we have to make a determined effort.

I believe that the church is ready and is accepting of all of the contributions that women can make and all of the appointments to which women can be called and should be called over time.

The church is really ready for women at all levels and in all roles to fully accept God’s call on their lives and to function in those roles, officially sanctioned by the church.

What would you say to women who are thinking of going either into ministry or leadership?
I would tell them what I say to all people, male or female. Firstly, hear what God calls you to do and it may be different at different times.

Secondly, you need to open yourself up for God to prepare your completely.

Then you need to have the courage to step up.

We should hear the call from God and allow ourselves to be prepared. But we should never get ahead of God, and should not manipulate or play political games to get into a position.

Has it been harder for you to get to where you are now?
Definitely and absolutely. It has been harder for me in the world, in the United States and in the church.

WatC010.gif

What Bible verses encourages you?
Isaiah 40:28-31 (NIV):

“Do you not know? Have you not heard? The LORD is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom.

He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak.

Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall;

but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.”

There is power in God and we are strengthened through him.

What do you think of Australia?
This is my first time in Australia and I like it. I have always studied about Australia and have always been intrigued. It is wonderful to be here although I have not really seen much since I’ve been mostly in this [Women at the Centre] conference.

But I feel closeness to the people and the land here. I haven’t seen all the best spots and am looking forward to visiting the cities.

http://adventist.org.au/newsevents/s...r_ella_simmons

Just be prepared for the Trad backlash with this issue. As hard as it is to believe, the Pipim/Bacchiocchi patriarchal chauvanistic mindset is prevalent on this forum as it is on most Trad SDA forums.

Upvote 0