Visit site
✟18,512.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Let me put it in simplier terms. Adam allowed a woman to led him once, what did it cost him personally, and mankind as a whole?

Now, what would happen if woman was in the pulpit?

Ladies, this is only a rethorical question, please do not be offended.

God Bless

Till all are one.
Frankly, I don't take offense to that statement, at least not as Paul presents it. Eve was able to sway Adam to sin, and that is why Satan chose to tempt her first. He simply identified their weaknesses and exposed them. Each gender has its own weaknesses and strengths, designed specifically for certain roles. Men are to lead in both the church and the home. Not because they're better or less sinful, but because that's how God designed the human race.

Something interesting occured to me when pondering this as well. We can actually see Paul's statements on this proven in our society today when you look at the women's lib movement. I can't tell you how often I've seen men agreeing with whatever PC statement society makes about women. (In particular I've seen this when so many men are asked if they think women should be head pastors). With most, they're not even thinking, they're just saying what the women tell them they're supposed to think. They're not being men and making these decisions for themselves. Now I'm all for equality in society and all that, of course. But when we deny God's plan for us, we can see society, families and churches breaking down on a very dramatic scale.

Upvote 0

OldChurchGuy

Feb 19, 2007
✟15,752.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Frankly, I don't take offense to that statement, at least not as Paul presents it. Eve was able to sway Adam to sin, and that is why Satan chose to tempt her first. He simply identified their weaknesses and exposed them. Each gender has its own weaknesses and strengths, designed specifically for certain roles. Men are to lead in both the church and the home. Not because they're better or less sinful, but because that's how God designed the human race.

Something interesting occured to me when pondering this as well. We can actually see Paul's statements on this proven in our society today when you look at the women's lib movement. I can't tell you how often I've seen men agreeing with whatever PC statement society makes about women. (In particular I've seen this when so many men are asked if they think women should be head pastors). With most, they're not even thinking, they're just saying what the women tell them they're supposed to think. They're not being men and making these decisions for themselves. Now I'm all for equality in society and all that, of course. But when we deny God's plan for us, we can see society, families and churches breaking down on a very dramatic scale.

It appears to me the above statements mean that equality in society is not equal opportunity for a position regardless of gender. If that is correct, what is equality in society?

Ever curious,

OldChurchGuy

Upvote 0

desmalia

sounds like somebody's got a case of the mondays
Sep 29, 2006
Canada
Visit site
✟18,512.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
It appears to me the above statements mean that equality in society is not equal opportunity for a position regardless of gender. If that is correct, what is equality in society?

Ever curious,

OldChurchGuy
Good catch. I didn't explain that very well, did I. What I mean by that is equal value as a human being. There are societies that treat women as posessions to be bought and sold, used and abused. I do not believe that is what God intended for us.

Upvote 0

cfmember

Dec 8, 2007
Colorado
✟168.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Taking that question seriously, I believe we need to heed what the Bible says and that men should be the preachers. Does that not just make sense? The 'woman' in Scripture pictures more the Holy Spirit, the woman behind the man, that 'still small voice'. The man pictures the mighty one in leadership and as protector.

Most women I would think like the idea of a man in charge. Their masculinity (strength) appeals to them. But evidently women make good judges (Deborah). :)

Men, women, and children all have their roles to play in the life God wants and thinks is right. A women is not an inferior being or less intelligent because she's a women. (How do you view your mother?) She simply has a different role to play than a man. I believe the man in charge has a great responsibility that no woman should envy. But do we have women preachers today because man has abandoned his responsibility (to preach correct doctrine)? Maybe, but that's probably no good excuse.

I'd think most women would desire a male preacher for the same reason she would desire a male president. Only a male can portray that authority (he) in the church (she) and as head (he) of a country (she). Substitute a woman for that man and it's just not natural. That's just my intuition or common sense speaking.

If we're in doubt, I think all the answers are in the Bible, we just need to study them out. Some answers are a little more difficult to find, but I think they're all there.

I forgot to say.... The church (members) represent the bride...should her representive leader (husband) not be a man? Otherwise we've got a union between a woman as the wife and a woman as the husband, not too fitting. Romans 1 teaches us that we can know the things of God by the things made. Would that not be us, among other things? The Bible says the head of the woman is the man. Is the head not the authority figure? Then the man, with his woman (the church) work together to produce baby Christians and train them up. Mom, Dad, and child become a family. And don't forget, those men who are our pastors were first trained as babies by their mothers, who gave them milk and protection and love. When they get big enough to be independent, then the authority figure steps in to give them correction and the discipline they need. Just a personal opinion, but I think children need their mother more from age 1 - 12 and then they need their father more. But they need both. The wife (body of Christ) nurtures newborn Christians while the husband (head) gives them correction and discipline. What do you think?

Upvote 0

jax5434

Nov 27, 2007
✟31,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The Word is clear enough that women ought not to be preachers. Besides the verses that speak of the women being silent in the church there is the qualification that the officers (elders, pastors and deacons) in the church must be the husband of one wife. Don't know how they get around that one!!! As a woman I can't understand how any woman would even want to be a preacher. Our brothers have a God given logical mind, so much better suited to the exposition of the Word.
As for the CRC they are not theologically sound. They hold to the good confessions - the Heidleberg, Belgic and the Canons of Dort, but when you read the Liturgical Form for the Baptism of Infants it seems to teach a kind of presumed regeneration of the infant as it is sprinkled. Furthermore, In Canada at least, there was a furor and split in the CRC some years ago about the acceptance of homosexuality in the church.
If you take that statement at face value then Paul eliminated himself from any position of leadership in the church. In that case how much credence can we give him?

Also then any man in a leadership position must resign upon the death of his wife ( verb be is present tense in this case) and there can not be any never-been-married pastors or preists.

I think i the full context of all of pauls writings does not support the idea that women can have no leadership in the church and in fact in the first four hundred years of the church there is solid evidence that they did.

I believe this may be simply a catholic tradition that protestants have continued to accept

jax

Upvote 0

cfmember

Dec 8, 2007
Colorado
✟168.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Canuckmom, You say... "Our brothers have a God given logical mind, so much better suited to the exposition of the Word." That's not a very good argument, expecially since in the next sentence you say, "As for the CRC they are not theologically sound." Which way will you have it?

Are our 'brothers' better suited to the exposition of the Word or not? In representing women here, you need to be logical.

I don't agree that their confessions are 'good', but you're right about them being wrong to think that the Way of Salvation (regeneration) is sprinkling babies. And they criticize the Catholics for being illogical?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums